Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,017 members, 7,828,578 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Nigeria One Of Only A Handful Of African Democracies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria One Of Only A Handful Of African Democracies (677 Views)

If You Could Rid Nigeria One Thing,what Could It Be? / Occupy Nigeria - One Year Later / Will You Fight To Keep Nigeria One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria One Of Only A Handful Of African Democracies by paddylo1(m): 7:26am On Feb 10, 2010
I want to congratulate all Nigerians
and the NASS for doing the right thing

what has happened here is unprecedented
and Nigerians should see it as so. .

I will list the countries in Africa below where this would never have happened
Most of these countries are run by one man dictators who normally hand over to their sons or relatives
when they die or choose to leave office. .

Below is a list of nations in Africa where todays handover would never have been contemplated

1. EGYPT (Hosni Mubarak, 1981 till date, no end in sight)
2. LIBYA (Muammar gadaffi 1969 till date, no end in sight)
3. SUDAN ( Umar Hassan Ahmad al-BASHIR 1989 till date, no end in sight)
4. ETHIOPIA (MELES Zenawi 1995 till present, no end in sight)
5. SOMALIA (WTF)
6. ZAIRE (laurent kabila dies hands over to son joseph kabila)
7. ANGOLA (José Eduardo dos Santos, president since 1979. .no end in sight)
8. ZIMBABWE (current crises, mugabe in power since 1980, )
9. GABON (omar bongo ruled for over 41yrs died in 2009, hands over to son)
10. CONGO BRAZZAVILLE ( Denis Sassou Nguesso 1997 till date, no end in sight)
11. CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC (Francois Bozize 2003 till date. .no end in sight)
12. CHAD (Idris deby 1991 to date, no end in sight)
13 NIGER (current coup)
14. GUINEA BISSUA ( Current crises, president shot dead in march 2009)
15. GUINEA ( current coup)
16. COTE'DVOIRE (Laurent Gbagbo elected 2000, no end in sight)
17. MADAGASCAR (current presidential crises)
18. DJIBOUTI( Ismail Omar Guelleh president since 1999. .no end in sight)
19. UGANDA (yoweri musevini elected 1986. . no end in sight)
20. RWANDA(Paul Kagame elected 2000. .10yrs and no end in sight)
21. BURUNDI (Pierre Nkurunziza former rebel leader elected unopposed in 2005)
22. ERITREA ( Isaias Afwerki in power since 1993. .17yrs)
23. CAMEROON (Paul Biya in power since 1982, 28yrs)
24. MOROCCO (King Mohamed VI. in power forever)
25. TUNISIA (President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in power since 1987. .23yrs)
26. ALGERIA (President in power since 1999. .11yrs and counting)
27. BURKINA FASO (President Blaise compaore in power since 1987. . 23yrs)
28.THE GAMBIA (Yahya Abdul-Azziz Jemus Junkung Diliu Jammeh, in power since 1994, no end in sight)
29. SENEGAL. . (Abdoulaye WADE, in power since 2000, no end in sight)
30. LESOTHO. .(Kingdom. . king in power forever)
31. SWAZILAND. .(kingdom, King Mswati 111 an absolute ruler)
Re: Nigeria One Of Only A Handful Of African Democracies by Shoot2Kill: 8:36am On Feb 10, 2010
Paddy lo ,I am not saying this to burst your bubble but to state what the reality is. Nigerian democracy is scam and nothing to right home about. It took them over 50 dasy to act and you are celebrating. PDP is a corrupt party and sop is this monkey Goodluck whatever is name is. He won’t move Nigeria forward because he lacks the capacity to do so. I will make a better president than any of these morons because, I am legacy driven not greed driven. He will only embezzle money and in a few months from now we will be here condemning him. Have you forgotten that they were going to build him a  N7 billion naira home or have you forgotten that EFCC found $2million with his wife at the airport.

If you are celebrating then I am sorry for Nigeria, our troubles have just starte. The problem with Nigeria is not Yara Dua ,it is Nigerian politicians .Until a complete sweep is done ,Nigeria will forever remain backwards. Now let me analyse a few of those countries you have listed:

Egypt = Egyptian enjoy a better life style than Nigerians. There infrastructure is top notch and tourism industry is high class. Their economy is stronger than ours even though they do not have oil. There are enough jobs to drive the economy. The have the highest number of internet subscribers in Africa. The first country in Africa to build a solar plant.

Libya = Libyans enjoys a better life style than Nigerians. There infrastructure is top notch. Their economy is one of the strongest in the world and the oil money trickles down to the ordinary man of the streets of Libya. There are enough jobs to drive the economy. There is free medical care in Libya for all citizens.

Ethiopia = Ethiopians in diapsora have been investing in their country and Ethiopia even generates more electricity than Nigeria. They recently completed the construction of another power station. They have a very popular airline ,that is functioning properly even though they are a poor country. They universities are top notch and they never strike. Their telecoms is better than ours. There is free medical care in Ethiopia for all citizens.

Angola = Have you been to Angola recently to see how they are rapidly developing their infrastructure. Angola stadium are better than ours, Their roads and bridges are better than ours. In fact their infrastructure in the capital city is gradually approaching top notch status. Their tourism industry is also top notch. The telecommunication network is better than our Nitel. The boast one of the fastest internet network in Africa

Zimbabwe = Save for the farmers crisis that started in 2001 and the sabotage which the the British govt has orchestrated in the country. Zimbabwe was the bread basket of Africa under Mugagbe’s rule, the man took Zimbabwe to the greatest height possible. He got into trouble when he decided to take on the UK and they subsequently destroyed his economy in an effort to remove him from power. They rubbished his currency and ensured that he never recovered by placing sanctions after sanctions. His crime ? Because he asked the white farmers who are now in kwara to give some of the black zimbaweans a piece of their land and teach them how to farm like them. But the whiteys were greedy ,they refused to listen to him and he had no choice but to bow to the pressure of his people and kick them out. I was in zim two weeks ago on a business trip and I can tell you that the country is slowing getting up on it’s feet again. The UK lost they failed to remove him from power and now he is doing everything to leave a good legacy behind before he dies. The case of Zimbabwe is western sabotage so please research countries properly before assuming. Even with all the problems they have Zimbabwe universities remain of the best in Africa and electricity is stable, foreign investment is also slowing coming back to the country.

Gabon = The citizens are business minded people like and there are a lot micro businesses operating in the country. Rent and food is cheap in Gabon and the people are very happy people. There are actually many Nigerians in this country who are into spare parts trade and they are doing very well.

Morocco = Lovely country, you should visit, you will think you are in France, lovely and friendly people. There is law and order in the country and there is massive investment from the west. Their tourism industry is the bomb with exotic beaches. The people are happy and there are jobs for the educated, those are that are not educated engage in trade.

Swaziland = My wife is from Swaziland and I regularly visit Swaziland. It is a very peaceful country, too peaceful if i may add. The people are happy and they is massive agriculture. Minimum wage in Swaziland is $400.The standard of living is high and they there is extremely beautiful because it is on a mountain and the view are endless. Everyone you meet there is smiling at you and they are extremely honest. Electricity is 24hrs a day. Rent is next to nothing, food is even wasted because of the abundance. Their infrastructure in on par with South Africa’s. They boast exotic hotel and nature spas

What i am saying is that democracy does not guarantee a good life for the citizens of a nation. In my opinion democracy and in the case of Nigeria democracy promotes corruption. You can have kings and monarch and have a great nation. Here are examples of constitutional & absolute monarchical countries whose citizens enjoy a higher standard of living, better infrastructure and constant electricity more than Nigeria :

United Kingdom
Canada
Jordan
UAE
Saudi Arabia
Spain
Bahrain
Belgium
Brunei
Denmark
Japan
Oman
Qatar
Samoa
Tonga
Norway
Monaco
Kuwait
Malaysia
Thailand
Sweden
Netherlands
Luxembourg
Re: Nigeria One Of Only A Handful Of African Democracies by kawazaki(m): 8:52am On Feb 10, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

Swaziland = My wife is from Swaziland and I regularly visit Swaziland. It is a very peaceful country, too peaceful if i may add. The people are happy and they is massive agriculture. Minimum wage in Swaziland is $400.The standard of living is high and they there is extremely beautiful because it is on a mountain and the view are endless. Everyone you meet there is smiling at you and they are extremely honest. Electricity is 24hrs a day. Rent is next to nothing, food is even wasted because of the abundance. Their infrastructure in on par with South Africa’s. They boast exotic hotel and nature spas

waoooooooo. I really need to visit SWAZILAND grin. I heard the ladies are "generous" too
Re: Nigeria One Of Only A Handful Of African Democracies by deluxecad(m): 8:54am On Feb 10, 2010
I like how you refuted Paddy's claims. I once said in this forum that democracy is non.sense if dat is wat we practise in Nigeria and some hawks shot down my point like Dora's. Let's c how it turns out. I'm optimistic tho.
Re: Nigeria One Of Only A Handful Of African Democracies by Ikengawo: 10:36am On Feb 10, 2010
did 1 person just make a thread about democracy and another typed a book about electricity?
there's some serious idiots on this site lol

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Trips Or Enjoyment Galore / Jonathan May Sack Northern Military Generals / Acid Rain: What You Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.