Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying (41193 Views)

Man Caught Romancing A Lady On Airplane, People Fear Plane May Crash / 23-year-old Zambian Pilot Fulfills Dream Of Flying Parents / Dino Melaye Shares Cost Of Flying From Nigeria To New York Back In The Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Livefreeordieha(m): 4:56pm On Aug 01, 2017
Ne0w1zarD:
tongue

The cost of flying is the only fear I have..

Can you cure that for me? I'll send my account number grin
u are too funny.. Shittt wey I be dey shittt small small... U make me shiit am once Cuz of laughter.. Bring back my shittt ASAP grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by lenghtinny(m): 5:03pm On Aug 01, 2017
The movies always keeps me busy.... Makes me feel like I'm at a cinema especially during night flights...
Window seats remains my favorite. The kind of feeling I get from looking outside pass releasing inside woman angry
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by uwadia79(m): 5:08pm On Aug 01, 2017
verine:
Notwithstanding angry
why are u guys always like to insult Edo,is it the only place u find witches?,pls stop it
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by erusetso: 5:47pm On Aug 01, 2017
Opinionated:
Know anyone with a fear of flying? Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares the following 4 airplane facts that are sure to cure any fear of flying.

Air Travel is Actually the Safest Mood of Mass Transportation

You are actually more likely to be struck by lightning than die in a plane crash. The odds of dying in a plane crash are about one in 11,000,000. If you’re afraid of flying, then you might as well be afraid of pillows, kitchens, petrol or anything else that could kill you but most likely wouldn’t.

Commercial Aircrafts Undergo Extensive Testing Before Being Sold to Airlines

Aircrafts go through an unbelievably massive amount of testing before they can even get off the ground and they still go through a lot more testing after that. You can watch some of the extreme tests carried out on aircrafts on Youtube because perhaps if you see how much attention to detail is paid when building aircrafts, you’ll feel much more safer in an aircraft than you will feel in a car. Some of the tests done include: wing flexibility testing, ingestion testing, temperature and altitude testing, velocity minimum unstick testing, brake testing and other emergency testing like lightning strikes and low fuel scenarios. A lot of effort is put into ensuring that commercial aircrafts fly safely because producers want their aircrafts be extremely safe, if not nobody will buy them.

Planes Can Fly Safely With Just One Engine and Can Land Without Any

Surprising right? It might seem like the engines are the only things keeping a plane in the sky, but it’s not so. Engines help to provide thrust for the plane but a plane can fly quite normally with just one engine. All commercial aircrafts are actually designed to operate well with only one engine. Additionally, a plane with both engines out can actually perform what is called a ‘deadstick landing’ to land safely. Provided it has the height, a plane with both engines out can still glide to a safe landing. However, the engines of planes are extremely reliable and as long as they are well maintained, the chances of both engines going out on a twinjet plane are less than one in a billion flight hours.

Turbulence isn’t Dangerous

The best way to explain turbulence and its effect is to tell you to think of turbulence as you would bumps in the road on a long drive. Turbulence isn’t a safety concern and most pilots tend to avoid it because they consider it annoying and a nuisance, especially when they want to be able to chill in their seats, chow on some snacks and sip their tea or coffee without it spilling. If you still can’t get over the up and down motion that turbulence causes, you can reduce your chances of experiencing it by booking flights for early in the morning or close to sunset when there is a more stable atmosphere.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/4-airplane-facts-can-cure-fear-flying/
feel much better �
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Meritocracy: 5:54pm On Aug 01, 2017
All what I can say is air travelling is the fastest but not the safest. Train is the safest but slowest.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Elcuba: 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2017
Zane2point4:
Flight phobia is for new guys onboard, its still a fear factor.
Just like the phenomenon you encouter in a lift while droping and trying to overcome the G force, feels like your stomach wana jump into your heart, its the same thing as when the plane losses altitude or wana land.

Not true.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by nom44311: 6:05pm On Aug 01, 2017
evansjeff:
and you think this is funny?

Help me ask d silly idiot
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Obainoneandonly(m): 6:09pm On Aug 01, 2017
Ne0w1zarD:
tongue

dude please don't kill me with laff

1 Like

Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by totorimi: 6:09pm On Aug 01, 2017
Flying is the safest mode of transportation OH YES, that is in normal societies..... However, manufacturers didnt say where pilots and other employees are owed months of salary arrears they can guarantee the safe operation of the plane. Neither did they tell you that if you dont maintain the plane as and when due it will still continue to be the safest means of operation.

The manufacturers surely didnt promise the safety of an out dated plane being used to carry passengers nor a country where the authorities cut corners to allow unfit planes to fly the skies.

We live is such a country where air travel can never and I repeat ever be considered as the safest means of transportation. I will rather charter an airconditioned Sienna wagon to take me and mine to anywhere I want to travel to than risk my life in the hands of blood thirsty money mongers who value money over human life. We still havent forgotten how one DANA air plane just fell out of the skies till today nobody has been told what happened. Or is it the Sosoliso, ADC, NAF C130 Hercules, Bellview, EAS, Associated airlines of recent memories, How many do we want to count. OP air travel is not the safest in Nigeria at least for now, HOHA.

1 Like

Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Edum13656: 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2017
Ne0w1zarD:
tongue

confirm Ibo boi...

1 Like

Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by bizzibodi(m): 6:30pm On Aug 01, 2017
if na so y didnt dana plane safely land in lagos when engine fail.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by footballpalace(m): 7:06pm On Aug 01, 2017
Ne0w1zarD:
tongue

Lol.... Funny u
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by sugah: 7:07pm On Aug 01, 2017
freshvine:

I concur. If an aircraft is gaining altitude and at the same time negotiating a bend and you're a first timer on the window end, the lord is ur strength.
Negotiating a bend like in a roundabout? grin grin grin
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by freshvine(f): 7:57pm On Aug 01, 2017
sugah:

Negotiating a bend like in a roundabout? grin grin grin

Use the appropriate terminology na. we're here to learn
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by sugah: 8:06pm On Aug 01, 2017
freshvine:

Use the appropriate terminology na. we're here to learn
I'm here to learn too grin grin
But I think they 'bank into a turn'.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by freshvine(f): 8:47pm On Aug 01, 2017
sugah:

I'm here to learn too grin grin
But I think they 'bank into a turn'.
Clown.

Probably navigate should be appropriate
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Jarus(m): 9:11pm On Aug 01, 2017
denony:
I've always prefer to fly than using the Nigeria road

Same here.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Jarus(m): 9:15pm On Aug 01, 2017
Simeon244:

I silently hoped for turbulence... so I can say I know how it feels...sadly none came

Once experienced a violent turbulence that lasted for as long as 2 hours.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by unitedsurv: 9:20pm On Aug 01, 2017
freshvine:

I concur. If an aircraft is gaining altitude and at the same time negotiating a bend and you're a first timer on the window end, the lord is ur strength.

why? sorry i just wana gain some knowledge
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by sugah: 10:12pm On Aug 01, 2017
freshvine:

Clown.

Probably navigate should be appropriate
...I kid not.

Navigate in itself is a correct lingo...
However, the presence or absence of 'bends' or roundabouts up there is emmm.... lipsrsealed
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 01, 2017
kjhova:

Plane crashes are results of many things from human errors to bird strike or machine failure.

The OP's point however is that the odds of a plane crash is comparable to many other accidents that people are often not afraid of.

Examples, more deaths occured in Nigeria in 2016 from generator fumes, okada crash, auto crash, petrol fire, gas explosion, thunder strike, flood, armed robbery, jungle justice, food poisoning, cancer, collapsed buildings, chocking, suicide, electrocution, drowning, battery, stabbing, suffocation etc than by aircrash!

Yes and airline pilots go through rigorous and intensive training that even the view of sluggishness on the way to the aircraft can be reported and the pilot changed. In Nigeria i think sometimes those crashes could be attributed to lack of training or even aircraft issues as a result of the company trying to skip on maintenance fees as required by The regulatory board. Though the likelihood is less the casualty is more.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by megama: 12:31am On Aug 02, 2017
Opinionated:
Know anyone with a fear of flying? Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares the following 4 airplane facts that are sure to cure any fear of flying.

Air Travel is Actually the Safest Mood of Mass Transportation

You are actually more likely to be struck by lightning than die in a plane crash. The odds of dying in a plane crash are about one in 11,000,000. If you’re afraid of flying, then you might as well be afraid of pillows, kitchens, petrol or anything else that could kill you but most likely wouldn’t.

Commercial Aircrafts Undergo Extensive Testing Before Being Sold to Airlines

Aircrafts go through an unbelievably massive amount of testing before they can even get off the ground and they still go through a lot more testing after that. You can watch some of the extreme tests carried out on aircrafts on Youtube because perhaps if you see how much attention to detail is paid when building aircrafts, you’ll feel much more safer in an aircraft than you will feel in a car. Some of the tests done include: wing flexibility testing, ingestion testing, temperature and altitude testing, velocity minimum unstick testing, brake testing and other emergency testing like lightning strikes and low fuel scenarios. A lot of effort is put into ensuring that commercial aircrafts fly safely because producers want their aircrafts be extremely safe, if not nobody will buy them.

Planes Can Fly Safely With Just One Engine and Can Land Without Any

Surprising right? It might seem like the engines are the only things keeping a plane in the sky, but it’s not so. Engines help to provide thrust for the plane but a plane can fly quite normally with just one engine. All commercial aircrafts are actually designed to operate well with only one engine. Additionally, a plane with both engines out can actually perform what is called a ‘deadstick landing’ to land safely. Provided it has the height, a plane with both engines out can still glide to a safe landing. However, the engines of planes are extremely reliable and as long as they are well maintained, the chances of both engines going out on a twinjet plane are less than one in a billion flight hours.

Turbulence isn’t Dangerous

The best way to explain turbulence and its effect is to tell you to think of turbulence as you would bumps in the road on a long drive. Turbulence isn’t a safety concern and most pilots tend to avoid it because they consider it annoying and a nuisance, especially when they want to be able to chill in their seats, chow on some snacks and sip their tea or coffee without it spilling. If you still can’t get over the up and down motion that turbulence causes, you can reduce your chances of experiencing it by booking flights for early in the morning or close to sunset when there is a more stable atmosphere.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/4-airplane-facts-can-cure-fear-flying/
wrong info, turbulence us very dangerous even captains / embarassedpitots find it uneasy. Do you ever heard if Malaysian airlines disaster, again do you know what you mean by saying plane will land safely with engines not running ,do know what is called landing gear in an air plane, do you know what us called crash landing ?? Please educate us with Wright info
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by KingSango(m): 12:42am On Aug 02, 2017
But when planes crash they all usually die. grin

Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Nobody: 5:05am On Aug 02, 2017
lordkush:
EDO Airways
fast & reliable
Affordable also...
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Nobody: 5:06am On Aug 02, 2017
lordkush:
EDO Airways
fast & reliable
Affordable also...
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 02, 2017
With the exception of commercial airlines in nigeria.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by kjhova(m): 8:43am On Aug 02, 2017
solasoulmusic:

Yes and airline pilots go through rigorous and intensive training that even the view of sluggishness on the way to the aircraft can be reported and the pilot changed. In Nigeria i think sometimes those crashes could be attributed to lack of training or even aircraft issues as a result of the company trying to skip on maintenance fees as required by The regulatory board. Though the likelihood is less the casualty is more.

No sis, don't think...thinking is based on no empirical handle.

From the aircrash cases which I am familiar with (i.e. Sosoliso, Bellview and Dana), the pilots were among the best trained so I deduce that training isn't a critical failure in Nigeria. Mechanical issues and fatigue has been the more likely factors leading to crashes here from what Iread particularly about Dana and Bellview incidents.

As for aircrash fatalities being generally more, I beg to also disagree. At least as regards Nigeria. Most times, local flights carry less than or a little above 100 people. Meanwhile, communal and religious clashes as well as terror attacks routingly kill far more people than this in Nigeria regularly.

Here's a little fact that might interest all of us, no international flight from/to Nigeria has been involved in a crash/accident in the last 37 years!
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by hsclaimflights: 10:00am On Aug 02, 2017
Since, you are talking about flight safety and other issues. One big issue is mistreatment of passenger on airport. Be it lost luggages, overbooking or flight getting delayed. The person who is suffering is the passenger and not the airport authorities. You can claim flight delay compensation in Europe and USA for the time that has been wasted. There websites like Flightright and [url]Claimflights.com[/url] that can help you overcome the mistreatment done to you by the authorities
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by chima4UK(m): 10:08am On Aug 02, 2017
Lalas247:
If you are scared of flights or plane my advice
Never ever ever sit by the window .. your life will flash before ur eyes .. wings looks like it can snap off shaking like paper

Seats close to the window are my favourite position in an aircraft . Good view on how the wing flaps especially during landing .
I'm not afraid of anything happening , something must kill a man btw.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by litaninja(m): 1:07pm On Aug 02, 2017
These apply internationally.....not in the NIGERIAN sense.
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 02, 2017
kjhova:

No sis, don't think...thinking is based on no empirical handle.

From the aircrash cases which I am familiar with (i.e. Sosoliso, Bellview and Dana), the pilots were among the best trained so I deduce that training isn't a critical failure in Nigeria. Mechanical issues and fatigue has been the more likely factors leading to crashes here from what Iread particularly about Dana and Bellview incidents.

As for aircrash fatalities being generally more, I beg to also disagree. At least as regards Nigeria. Most times, local flights carry less than or a little above 100 people. Meanwhile, communal and religious clashes as well as terror attacks routingly kill far more people than this in Nigeria regularly.

Here's a little fact that might interest all of us, no international flight from/to Nigeria has been involved in a crash/accident in the last 37 years!

Understood but at your last part yes and I do think it's attributed to the standard of training which include ways of dealing with fatigue and flying with an equal first officer who can step in when you are tired but here Ego may get in the way.

Our time management and pilot rotation needs to continue with safety in mind is what I am saying
Re: 4 Airplane Facts That Can Cure Any Fear Of Flying by kjhova(m): 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2017
solasoulmusic:

Understood but at your last part yes and I do think it's attributed to the standard of training which include ways of dealing with fatigue and flying with an equal first officer who can step in when you are tired but here Ego may get in the way.

Our time management and pilot rotation needs to continue with safety in mind is what I am saying

You are generally right but just to add that pilot training is almost entirely done abroad and that when I used to be informed about the industry, the top local airlines all had a bevvy of expartriate pilots mixed with Nigerians. I really don't want you to paint the picture of Nigeria's airspace with "ministry type" pilots.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Germany To Deport 14,000 Nigerians; FG Gives Condition / The Only Type Of Nigerian Who Will Enjoy The Japa Lifestyle Of The West / Herdsmen And Their Cows Casually Strolling On The Street In Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.