Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

What Popular Relationship Advice Books Won’t Tell You - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Popular Relationship Advice Books Won’t Tell You (400 Views)

The Truth About Friends With Benefits Nobody Will Tell You / Popular Relationship Expert, Amara, Marries For The 3rd Time After Divorce / Popular Relationship Counsellors Marriage Hits The Rock Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Popular Relationship Advice Books Won’t Tell You by OkNaijaComNg(m): 11:26pm On Aug 01, 2017
Have you ever taken a good look at the selection of ‘mainstream’ books on relationships? You know, the type you find filling shelf space at the local Barnes and Nobles?

I have. I had a good read through the other day. And you know what? In my humble opinion, barely one out of a hundred is worth the paper it’s printed on.

This got me thinking… how come there is so little good advice to be found in all these relationship books? Because if I didn’t know any better, and actually followed the advice I saw, not only would I not have the type of relationship I truly desire, but I’d be stuck in a kind of relationship ‘purgatory’ for months (and perhaps years) while searching my soul for the answer. I’ve seen it happen.

After thinking about this for a while, it dawned on me. They are not really out to help us at all! The majority of these books are designed to sell. And they do this by coming up with a cute-sounding pet theory, packaged with a catchy title.

Add an author with half an alphabet behind their name… cue up some generic sounding cover blurbs from the usual suspects and voila! Another hot seller.

If I sound a little cynical, I’m sorry. But the lack of real advice I found was surprising. But before you get me wrong, there were a few good titles out that actually had some nuggets of wisdom.

Sadly, none of them really pulled it all together and told the complete story of how to have great relationships.

It seems to me that most popular relationship books are really just built around one idea (then padded with filler content), so I thought I’d give you one killer relationship secret that I haven’t shared anywhere else.

This secret has been responsible for cutting short almost every little argument I used to have with my partner. You know the type, the trivial, annoying little arguments that pop up and grate on your nerves.

It’s so simple that I can’t believe I hadn’t heard it before. But after I read about this secret (and no, it was not in any mainstream relationship advice book). The quality of our relationship increased dramatically.

In fact, my girlfriend actually told me that no one else had ever done this for her before, and that she loved me even more for being able to do it.

But before I tell you what it was, there is another problem with most relationship books on the market today.

The problem is that the majority of them are written by purely academic writers. Now I have no problem with advanced degrees. But I do not subscribe to the idea that simply having a collection of letters behind your name qualifies you to dole out advice about real-world relationships.

Again, this is not an attack on all authors. Because there are exceptions that combine real world experience with book learning. But they are rare.

Anyway, I was going to share that secret…

It’s simple really. I made a promise to my girl that if I ever did something or said something that annoyed her, she could tell me and I would never do that thing again. Now this didn’t mean I would let her tell me I couldn’t enjoy a beer, or watch Football. I’m talking about the little things.

For example, I had a habit of
SOURCE: https://oknaija.com.ng/what-popular-relationship-advice-books-wont-tell-you/

(1) (Reply)

How Best Could You Get Your Boss Laid? / Lovely Engagement Concept / Cheating In Relationships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.