Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,696 members, 7,865,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 04:32 AM

The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? (3483 Views)

Do You Believe In God? What Is The Name Of Your God? / Those Doubting The Existence Of God,what Is The Source Of Supernatural Powers / Famous People Who Mocked God & What Happened To Them! A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by trinigirl1(f): 4:32pm On Feb 19, 2007
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by enugu(f): 8:26pm On Feb 19, 2007
[table]
Amby:

trini_girl (f)
shahan (f)
4get_me (m)

Hi you all!
I have been quite busy with some other things. But I will have to draw this topic to its end even though I know you have taken your stand on what you want to belief but I advise you keep your mind open and allow God to lead you as you study the scripture and live the life Jesus called us to live.There is God; the father (almighty God), God; the Son (Jesus Christ) and God; the Holy Spirit.
If you believe in the above, you will then understand that God is a family name (surname/last name) for the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Jesus Christ is God; the Son and virgin Mary is the mother of God, the son.

Jesus Christ is God and hence Mary is the mother of God.

Am not arguing with you but am only letting you know the truth I have known about the mediatrix power of Mary in ensuring that all her children (christians) are not lost but have grace enormous to follow the teachings of her son, Jesus Christ and overcome the world.

Honor her, she is the mother of God.

Regards.

[/table]

To be honest with you, I can't even be bothered to reply to this view of mary because I've been in the Roman Catholic Church and I know how dogmatic they can be on this issue of Mary as some sort of mediator etc etc but my question is as per the highlighted section. Why is it that when people want to sound 'holy' or convince you on spiritual matters, rather than debate the point they ask you to 'keep an open mind and allow God to lead you' as if they have knowledge of God's leadership in your life.

Let God be true and every man a liar; the scriptures has said it all- The Way, The Truth and The Life - JESUS! The only way to the Father. If other people want to waste time rigmaroling before they approach their Father who has made the way to Him clear, then let them be. God is the judge of all earth, He will do right; by them that believe Mary is 'his' mother and by us all.

One love and God bless
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by lafile(m): 9:14am On Feb 20, 2007
Amby:

Jesus Christ is God and hence Mary is the mother of God.

Am not arguing with you but am only letting you know the truth I have known about the mediatrix power of Mary in ensuring that all her children (christians) are not lost but have grace enormous to follow the teachings of her son, Jesus Christ and overcome the world.

How can someone who proffeses her belief in God and His word also believe something that is absolutely against his word? how can Jesus Christ be called the only mediator in 1 Tim 2:15 and then mary also be a mediator? why are you calling God a liar? making Him say two opposing statements from two sides of His mouth? Do you Think God is confused? or You think some parts of the bible have been put away? Nothing contrary to the bible can be from God.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 20, 2007
Guys no one is winning here. Lets stop this religious debate. mary is not the mother of God but the mother of the earthly Jesus.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by trinigirl1(f): 4:03pm On Feb 20, 2007
Consider this:

The True Family of Jesus

Matthew 12: 46-48

As Jesus was speaking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. Someone told Jesus, “Your mother and your brothers are outside, and they want to speak to you.”

Jesus asked, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” Then he pointed to his disciples and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!”
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 21, 2007
Where the pro-mother of God people now? where them dey?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Grouppoint(m): 9:50am On Feb 21, 2007
babaearly:

Guys no one is winning here. Lets stop this religious debate. mary is not the mother of God but the mother of the earthly Jesus.

babaearly:

Where the pro-mother of God people now? where them dey?

This BabEarly. You said the debate should end. Then you started asking for the debate to resume.
, Which one you dey?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Nella(f): 2:23pm On Feb 21, 2007
Jesus Christ is God n Mary is his Mother!=Mary is d Mother of God!!
d Angel said 2 Mary: " u r going 2 bear a son n u shal call his name Jesus",
n she did bear d Son which is God! n she absolutely is his Mother! in other words " the mother of God"!!
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by trinigirl1(f): 2:30pm On Feb 21, 2007
Nella:

d Angel said 2 Mary: " you're going 2 bear a son n u shal call his name Jesus",
n she did bear d Son which is God! n she absolutely is his Mother! in other words " the mother of God"!!

another blind catholic in denial has arrived with their nonsense! no patience with you people today at all!
did u even READ the thread?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by 4getme1(m): 2:54pm On Feb 21, 2007
@Nella,

Nella:

Jesus Christ is the Lamb of God n Mary is His Mother!= Mary is d Mother of Lamb!!

Jesus Christ is the Passover n Mary is His Mother!= Mary is d Mother of Passover!!

Jesus Christ is the Lion of the Tribe of Judah n Mary is his Mother!= Mary is d Mother of Lion!!

Do you get the drift?? sad

I Tim. 2:5 - "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

For the "Mother-of-God" theorists, whatever happened to the Humanity of Jesus?? Mary did not give birth to GOD but to the incarnate Son of God.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by lafile(m): 3:42pm On Feb 21, 2007
What all these pro-mother of God people do (sorry, jare babaearly) is to scream out what they have been told. Will any of y'all pro - mother of God guys please read the bible and bring out any biblical foundation for the Mother of God theory?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Grouppoint(m): 7:13pm On Feb 22, 2007
4get_me:

@Nella,

Jesus Christ is the Lamb of God n Mary is His Mother!= Mary is d Mother of Lamb!!

Jesus Christ is the Passover n Mary is His Mother!= Mary is d Mother of Passover!!

Jesus Christ is the Lion of the Tribe of Judah n Mary is his Mother!= Mary is d Mother of Lion!!

Do you get the drift?? sad
shocked shocked shocked
Seun.can you pls send me the avatar icon for 'rolling on the floor hysterically', Mother of Lion. Haba.
I think that should end it all for the Catholics.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by tripdizle(m): 8:34pm On Feb 22, 2007
she didn't give birth to Him supernaturally,it was the Holy Spirit dat overshadowed her dere making sure He was not born into sin just like you and me
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by trinigirl1(f): 10:49pm On Feb 22, 2007
trip dizle:

she didn't give birth to Him supernaturally,it was the Holy Spirit that overshadowed her dere making sure He was not born into sin just like you and me

wrong! his birth WAS supernatural. that's why they call it the "immaculate conception". ne c'est pas?
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Katigurl: 11:05pm On Feb 22, 2007
ok, so in some passage in d Bible Jesus ( where d people said to Jesus, while he was preaching that his mother was here n he responded saing: "who is my mother?", n he also said " any one who follows n listens to the word of my father, he is my mother n brother, n so on, )

obviously if u look at the religious point of view " every one is ur brother, i can call my friend my sister, why, beacuse she is nice to me n she is just as good as a sister to me, n that was wat Jesus was trying to get the people to do ( make every one ur brothers n sisters)

, but even with all this ( n out of the religious point of view) , this dosent mean that my "real" sister is not my sister!! in the religious part there is no difference from my blood sister n my friend, because they r both my sisters!, but out of the religious point of view,, my blood sister is my sister, n my friend is my friend!!

ok now like i was saying, "when Jesus said any one who follows n listens to the word of my father, he is my mother n brother, he was only trying 2 teach the people to take every one as their MOther brother n sis,

IN CONCLUSION: in the religious point of view : every one who listens 2 and follows d words of Christ, is his Mother, brother, n so on, (but out of the religious point of view), MARY IS THE MOTHER OF JESUS!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Lalas(m): 12:38am On Feb 23, 2007
@ topic

Mary was the mother of the Son of Man.God chose her specially, why?? i dont know, thus, reverence MUST be paid to her.

Mary was the Mother of Jesus, the Christ.

The above is TRUE, CONCRETE and CORRECT, why??
it all happened on earth.

Answers to these questions will lead us to whether or not Mary is the mother of God:

Is Jesus, who died on the Cross( who is the Word - God, John 1vs1), the same Jesus Who sits at the right hand of the Father?
-- He resurrected -- YES
Is Jesus God??
-- In the Bible, Jesus talks about the His Father and how He has to accomplish the work His Father sent Him.
He also says,in John 10 V 30,the Father and I are One.In John 10V38,, the Father is in Me and I am in the Father,
These statements have different contextual meanings, this is evident when one reads the whole passage through.

so is Jesus God?

if Yes, then Mary is the mother of God. If NO, then she isnt.

What should be clear in everyone's mind is that there exist NO ONE above God.

i leave u with this:
John 4V24
, For God is Spirit, so those who worship Him must worship in Spirit and Truth,
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by 4getme1(m): 1:09am On Feb 23, 2007
@Lalas,

The "Mother-of-God" theory has been laid to rest already, and your logic has been settled as ineffective.

Is Jesus the Lamb of God? If yes, then Mary is the Mother of Lamb - no two-ways around it. Also, she could be called "Mother of Lion" by the same logic.

The simple premise here is what does Scripture actually call her? Is there a verse - just one - where Mary is called "Mother of God"??

Looking at it from another perspective: so many people debate the issue of 'Who is Jesus'. Some who see Him only as a Man and nothing more will try to refute His deity. But as Christians, we can simply point them to Scripture where His deity is declared - and there several quite explicit on that.

The same applies in the "Mother of God" debate. Is there a verse where Mary is explicitly called Mother of God? If none, does the logic apply at all?

The only reason why people want to force this idea is because it forms the basis for Mary-worship. As such, she is regarded as co-Redemptrix (simple English: co-Redeemer).

God existed before Mary; and she could not be the "Mother" of Him who is her Creator. Tp push this logic would only mean that she existed before GOD! And because that is a convoluted and impossible position, she is therefore never called "Mother of God."
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by TV01(m): 1:23pm On Feb 23, 2007
Hello All,

Maybe it would help if we approached it from a different perspective.

In one sense, the incarnation of God in the flesh had nothing to do with Mary. God fully knows why he chose Mary, but this much we do know, she fulfilled certain criteria.

One of those was her lineage back to David. Remember the promise God made to David? Jesus was severeally referred to as both "the seed of David" and "the son of David"

Seed;

John 7:42 - Has not the Scripture said that the Christ comes from the seed of David and from the town of Bethlehem, where David was?"

Romans 1:3 - concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh,

2 Timothty 2:8 - Remember that Jesus Christ, of the seed of David, was raised from the dead according to my gospel,

Son;

Matthew 1:1 - The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham:

Mark 10:47 - And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

Luke 18:38 - And he cried out, saying, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

Would we then insist that David was the father of God? Or even more ludicrously the great, great, ---------- great, grandfather of God?

Mark 12:35 Then Jesus answered and said, while He taught in the temple, "How is it that the scribes say that the Christ is the Son of David? 36 For David himself said by the Holy Spirit: 'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool." 37 Therefore David himself calls Him 'Lord'; how is He then his Son?"

The only way to properly understand this is to see that in the flesh he was the son of David (likewise Mary) but in a higher divine sense He was not.

The bible is a unified whole, no matter how one looks at it, if one does so honestly, the truth will be consistently reinforced.

God bless
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by kellon: 1:36pm On Feb 23, 2007
You will never conclude on this topic, Christains are differ in calling Jesus GOD. Its only Catholic that call Mary mother of GOD, very soon we will have four gods in one GOD.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Nella(f): 6:34pm On Feb 23, 2007
if Jesus is "LORD" n "GOD" ( which he is, then Mary, is d mother of God!!
Prove 4rom d Bible!!!:

ok so, wat really brings all this arguments bout if Mary is d Mother of God or not is because people think that it is not mentioned in the Bible, but it was!! On Luke chapter 1 , read 4rom 41 to 44: on this passage Mary goes to visit Elizabeth d mother of John d babtist, n filled with d "HOLY Ghost" she exclaimed: " Blessed art thou among whomen n blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
n she went futher n exclaimed : "And whence is this to me that the mother of my lord should come to me?"

there!!! she just called mary the MOTHER her Lord= mother of her God=mother of Jesus!!! ( but if u don't belive that Jesus Christ is Lord n God, den ur argument is another different issue, u would just have 2 create another forum n after concluding there, come back here).
wat more proof do u need Note that when she said this she was filled with d "HOLLY GHOST"=)=)=) !!!! if she can call Mary the MOTHER of her Lord while filled with the HOLY GHOST, then y can't i
Once againg, Mary is d mother of God!!!!
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:14pm On May 18, 2012
lafile: This is what i meant. A person is only the mother of what originates inside of her. The human Jesus Originated in Mary's womb. Not God. Same reason we know that though Jesus was called the Son of David (Luke 1:32: He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David), David most definitely cannot be called the Father of God.
your logic has a big problem, wen i was born my genetic and material body came from my parent but my spirit was from God, does that mean that my moda is not really my moda? When Jesus was born a material body from mary a spiritual soul and his divinity all came together as one person in d womb of mary, so wen mary gave birth she gave birth to Jesus God and man, so she is the moda of Jesus she is d moda of God d son
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by ijawkid(m): 5:12pm On May 18, 2012
Ubenedictus: your logic has a big problem, wen i was born my genetic and material body came from my parent but my spirit was from God, does that mean that my moda is not really my moda? When Jesus was born a material body from mary a spiritual soul and his divinity all came together as one person in d womb of mary, so wen mary gave birth she gave birth to Jesus God and man, so she is the moda of Jesus she is d moda of God d son

And then david too is d father of God...

Abii

Because Jesus is davids son as the scripture says.....

Catholics are crazy set of idolaters!!!!....

Madness!!...

Just keep worshiping mary and wait for Jesus's anger when d end comes...
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:43pm On May 18, 2012
ijawkid:

Abii

Madness!!...

Perfect answer.
It's amazing the selectivity with which some read the Bible ...
So forget when the Bible speaks of Jesus' brothers, to highlight the character "virgin" Mary ...
Supposedly, before the appearance of the angel, Mary and Joseph despite being married had not had se.x ever ...
Irony!
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:46pm On May 25, 2012
ijawkid:

Abii

Madness!!...

please you need to learn simple biology, joseph adopted Jesus, non of Jesus genetic material came from joseph, so joseph cant be called father in the true sense. But that is not same for mary. Mary carried God made flesh in her womb for 9 months and gave birth to him that is why the church for 2000yrs call mary, 'theotokus' meaning 'GOD BEARER'.
Re: The Mother Of God. What Do You Think? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:48pm On May 25, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Perfect answer.
It's amazing the selectivity with which some read the Bible ...
So forget when the Bible speaks of Jesus' brothers, to highlight the character "virgin" Mary ...
Supposedly, before the appearance of the angel, Mary and Joseph despite being married had not had se.x ever ...
Irony!
sorry before the appearance of the angel mary didnt have sex

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Funky Pastor With Fake Miracles, Chris Oyakhilome Solemnises Mercy Johnson’s Dub / The Kaaba- Another Prove That Islam Is The Religion Of Peace / Who Has The Biggest Sunday Attendence Btn Pastors Kumuyi,Oyedepo,Adeboye, Chris?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.