Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced (5741 Views)

Three Die In Lagos Bus Explosion (photo) / Lamata To Rehabilitate Brt Lanes! / Your View On the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by Christino(m): 9:00am On Feb 09, 2007
As from Saturday, the 10th of February, it will be an offence to drive on the BRT lanes, with a fine of about N 50,000 shocked naira already approved by the State Govt. LASTMA has promised to be on the lookout with Cameras and power bikes to nab offenders including military men, bullion vans, commercial bus drivers as well as stubborn private "my car" owners. Buses plying the route will be provided by LASTMA in collaboration with some private bodies and you can buy bus tickets up to a month. Buses will leave the terminal every 5 minutes so that you don't need to wait till the bus gets filled up.

Originally we thought the rule would apply during rush hours but from the news reaching us, the buses will be on duty from 6:00am till 12:00 midnight with "HEAVY" security. In effect, the BRT is out of bounds to other drivers. Please take note.

This is to encourage lagosians to leave their cars at home and as a result reduce the volume of traffic on lagos roads. This development is welcome and i think it's another step forward.

What do you think? Will it work? How long will it last?

Fellow Lagosians,
Please avoid the BRT (Yellow and leftmost) Lanes at all cost - always keep right, 50,000 is not beans! moreover, time is precious don't spend valuable time in the traffic and more time in their office. English go finish for vocab that very day! grin
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by Phemolar(m): 9:08am On Feb 09, 2007
If that works, very soon lagos will be like america.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by adeshsam(m): 1:02pm On Feb 09, 2007
I pray it shld work,
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LoverBwoy(m): 3:49pm On Feb 09, 2007
According to the news, the rule comes at certain times 6am-10am then 5pm-11pmĀ  undecided

is this only in some areas of lagos or all over?

I think they should provide the buses before they start this new system

According to one Koro2007 "it wont work because the roads are not big enough".
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LePhilippe(m): 8:13pm On Feb 10, 2007
The Brt lane is a ridiculous plan. The are making 6 lane highways into 4 lane highways and expect traffic to get better!!! Give me a break!!!
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by Mariory(m): 8:16pm On Feb 10, 2007
LePhilippe:

The Brt lane is a ridiculous plan. The are making 6 lane highways into 4 lane highways and expect traffic to get better!!! Give me a break!!!

The big picture. Look at the big picture. Lateral thinking stiffles innovation.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LePhilippe(m): 8:26pm On Feb 10, 2007
What big picture why do they always rush issues concerning Nigeria
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by dblock(m): 6:04am On Feb 11, 2007
LePhilippe:

But those two lanes aren't unoccupied are they? wink, they are being used by vehicles that can commute more passengers take up less space if you do the maths and will create less pollution thus increasing your lifespan if you live in Lagos grin
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by ucantseeme: 1:46pm On Feb 12, 2007
Yes i think its a good idea. If all the buses get of the main road it would ease traffic, they are just oo many busses scattered on all the other lanes. If the busses are moving freely on 2 lanes. Then it would ease traffic. on the other lanes.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LePhilippe(m): 10:50pm On Feb 12, 2007
They should take it step by step to reduce pollution!!

First and only step ----- BANNED MOLUES, KABUKABU, OKADAs etc,
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LoverBwoy(m): 2:00pm On Feb 14, 2007
I don't think they should should ban Molues; they should just ban those that do not pass strict mot tests

This is to encourage lagosians to leave their cars at home and as a result reduce the volume of traffic on Lagos roads. This development is welcome and i think it's another step forward

If this is the aim of the scheme, they have to include "safe" molues until they can provide enough buses for Lagos commuters.

How far with the new scheme anyway?
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LePhilippe(m): 2:41pm On Feb 18, 2007
In what year do you think a molue would be classified as safe, hence their name MOLUE!!
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by Seun(m): 3:35pm On Feb 18, 2007
Can normal molues occupy those lanes? If so, then it's interesting. If not, then it's a rape of gullible Lagosians.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by kaylala(m): 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2007
I can see that most of you all don't work or have your offices on the Island.Get to Iyana Oworo through Berger bustop,before you ascend the 3rd mainland bridge (for those that knows where i am talking about) at around 5.30am every morning Monday - Friday and feel the heat of traffic.

Infact,thet will arrest culprits and even get tired probably until there will be a riot in the state.

Its a kind of good idea and innovation but looking at the situation of our roads,it likes not achievable in Lagos but in a city like Abuja that have well planned roads network.

I rest my case for now.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by Seun(m): 4:19pm On Feb 18, 2007
If the aim is to encourage people to take the bus, then the lane should be open to any large commercial buses.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LePhilippe(m): 5:08pm On Feb 18, 2007
The aim is also to prevent moloues from the roads!!!
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by kaylala(m): 7:11pm On Feb 18, 2007
Thats a monsterous aim
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by alabiyemmy(m): 7:16pm On Feb 18, 2007
This shows how myopic some people can be - even in London - there are bus lanes - it doesnt have to be wide and mighty roads before the road will have a bus lane - this is to make sure public transport commuters are not disturbed and to allow for free movement of traffic, this is working because people obey the rules and if you dont, then the consequences are there - but what do we get here, people are already saying it wont work, because they are determined not to make it work - what is the big deal in staying off lanes that are specified to be driven on only by specific types of vehicles, if each one of us obeys it, it will work just as much as it works everywhere else.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by Seun(m): 8:20pm On Feb 18, 2007
All I am saying is that the "bus" lanes should be for all buses in Lagos state, not just the Governor's friends.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by kaylala(m): 8:43pm On Feb 18, 2007
By default,Nigerians has a mind set to do things wrongly.So it might take time to work.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LoverBwoy(m): 8:50pm On Feb 18, 2007
Seun, one of the passengers, thanked the Lagos government for the novel idea and prayed that there would be continuity and maintenance from whoever takes over from the present administration.
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article06/180207

Na wa, even admin don go lagos go try am grin >i know<
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by Seun(m): 9:52pm On Feb 18, 2007
Seun, one of the passengers, thanked the Lagos government for the novel idea
Out of ignorance, of course.

The government has no business giving its friends a monopoly in the competitive urban transportation business.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LoverBwoy(m): 10:00pm On Feb 18, 2007
well at the moment is it not clear if the lanes are for these newly introduced buses alone or any commercial bus
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by kaylala(m): 10:05pm On Feb 18, 2007
I tell you,its only for the BRT buses.
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LoverBwoy(m): 10:10pm On Feb 18, 2007
oh well there goes your ashiwaju and his lagos gangsters croonies grin

any nairalander with a pic of the bus inside and outside
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by kaylala(m): 10:15pm On Feb 18, 2007
Check it out on google
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LePhilippe(m): 10:20pm On Feb 18, 2007
www.lagbusonline.com for the full info on the bRt system in Lagos. What a splendid idea!!!
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by kaylala(m): 10:45pm On Feb 18, 2007
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LePhilippe(m): 10:49pm On Feb 18, 2007
I beg to differ, the Lamata site has no info about Lagbus, Its also poor!!
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by kaylala(m): 10:51pm On Feb 18, 2007
Are sure you went to that site
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by LePhilippe(m): 10:54pm On Feb 18, 2007
On the Lamata site all i see is pictures of buses from other countries please what page are you on??
Re: Lagos Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Lanes Enforced by kaylala(m): 10:55pm On Feb 18, 2007
Same page bro.Can you see anything on special development project??

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Is A Return Ticket To Turkey From Nigeria? / Am about leaving naija help Me Pls. / Obudu Cattle Ranch In Calabar, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.