Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,629 members, 7,955,305 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:00 PM

How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone (29921 Views)

Meet Qai Qai, The Black Doll That Has Over 120,000 Followers On Instagram. / Unboxing My New Blackberry Keyone / Blackberry Keyone Specs & Price In Nigeria (jumia & Slot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Aleora(f): 11:12pm On Aug 02, 2017
Flashh:
Samsung galaxy S7 edge has a very good battery optimizer.

It's a Snapdragon chipset; so a 3000mah battery would serve you a whole day on heavy usage.
thats weird
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by TheMainMan: 11:43pm On Aug 02, 2017
phoenix23401:

Finally some one talks about lg, i use an lg g4 and i think lg is the most underated phone ever
very underated and sony... people wont talk 'bout dem... its called class... der camera is smtn else... except for d ba3 and frequent crashin... i mean for lg

recently gave a g4 out for repair... it crashed... it kept crashing even after updating d os several times... d engineer got fed up and said it cnt b repaired again

i just so love g6
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by henry007(m): 12:08am On Aug 03, 2017
escapefromusa:
OP I was actually interested in the keyone. watched so many reviews on youtube.

But it just did not feel right. You have the iphone 7s, the samsung and then the nexus for pure android folks.

the keyone is just a bad idea. Google should just buy it and merge it with motorola. For whatever patents they can get from it.

bb days are over. Business men have gotten used to samsungs and iphones.

You have the 1 phone that Apple decided not to produce?
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by henry007(m): 12:15am On Aug 03, 2017
TheMainMan:

227k for bb undecided

i will buy lg g6 for dt amount

some people sef undecided undecided undecided

Blackberry just released a Limited Edition Black for $625 in India. That's the only one that anyone should be buying for 220K. LG is a no no for me tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by jojothaiv(m): 1:23am On Aug 03, 2017
NCP:
Shey no be you open this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3936539/unboxing-new-blackberry-keyone
this is what we call investigative journalism..

"Nothing will ever make me use an Android phone again"
Na even this line funny me die!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by escapefromusa(f): 2:21am On Aug 03, 2017
henry007:

You have the 1 phone that Apple decided not to produce?

My bad.

It should 7+ (7's) and S7

Sh!t happens cool
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by escapefromusa(f): 2:37am On Aug 03, 2017
henry007:

Blackberry just released a Limited Edition Black for $625 in India. That's the only one that anyone should be buying for 220K. LG is a no no for me tho

It really depends on ur lifestyle. If u have a lot of transactions and communications online from different circles the blackberry is not the best.

The BB is fr company men .. many guys with BB's do not buy them. Its normally part of the company package.

Just get one iphone and one samsung (business line and private line)
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Tsmart1(m): 2:44am On Aug 03, 2017
NEED CHEAP USED UK LAPTOPS CALL ME 09095620116NEED CHEAP USED UK LAPTOPS CALL ME 09095620116NEED CHEAP USED UK LAPTOPS CALL ME 09095620116
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by 2kurupt(m): 3:48am On Aug 03, 2017
obidevine:

And security op, blackberry Keyone is the most secure android phone in the world

No offense o but I've got to ask, what exactly are you securing? If you worked for a Forbes fortune 500 company I'll understand but am sure you use the regular email & bank apps we all use. Presently even the white house & other security conscious bodies deploy iPhones for official use.

Back when Blackberry was top of its game that word "security" would have meant something.

There has been no security breach in the top two OS Android & iOS to justify spending that much on a blackberry.

There are so much ways of hackers getting your data aside your phone access anyway so if truly security is your concern then maybe you really don't need a smartphone.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by 2kurupt(m): 3:59am On Aug 03, 2017
TheMainMan:
very underated and sony... people wont talk 'bout dem... its called class... der camera is smtn else... except for d ba3 and frequent crashin... i mean for lg

recently gave a g4 out for repair... it crashed... it kept crashing even after updating d os several times... d engineer got fed up and said it cnt b repaired again

i just so love g6

With the frequent software crashes in LG's recent flagships don't you think they've actually run out of class? They have their best days in the mobile phone arena behind them during the G2 era.

Having class goes beyond just being a big name brand
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by henry007(m): 4:48am On Aug 03, 2017
escapefromusa:

It really depends on ur lifestyle. If u have a lot of transactions and communications online from different circles the blackberry is not the best.

The BB is fr company men .. many guys with BB's do not buy them. Its normally part of the company package.

Just get one iphone and one samsung (business line and private line)

Not many guys, govt and security workers in the US. A lot of blackberry users choose blackberry for the keyboard to churn out emails in the hundreds
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Ivegotsolutions(m): 4:51am On Aug 03, 2017
duketerry22:
You used 227k to buy a phone that belongs to a defunct company n then paid 187k for an iPhone then u come n say you're warning people to never use Android again..how many people do u see using the pine u went to buy or u couldn't have found out more about it ur blood was hot shey? Soon now again you'll say iPhone is useless..clearly you've got cash to spend so enjoy

You didn't get my message! I only warned people against blackberry Keyone not android.
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 5:20am On Aug 03, 2017
LordAdam16:

But Huawei just ditched the low-end market and said they'd be focusing on the premium market replete with premium prices.

The Mate 9 launched at $600 which is not far off from the launch price of all the better-known brands. LG and Samsung phones take substantial discounts a few months after their release.

I really don't dig Huawei's UI, although the other Chinese brands sure offer tremendous value. Still, the refinement is simply not there. Samsung's designs since the S6 have been off the charts, consistently. The S8 is a fashion accessory. The iPhone's performance is unrivaled. The Mate 9's camera does not hold a candle against the iPhone 7 Plus camera. The BB security and speed of updates is top-notch. And since you aren't in the country, I don't need to say much about support provided by the bigger brands.

Sure, not all of these matter to some people, but the better for being cheap narrative isn't always compelling for peeps who are not on economy drive.

-Lord

Huawei saying they are targeting top of the pile doesn't mean it won't make phones for your average Joe but that their top-tier line will be premium and will aim to challenge the best.

The Mate 9 is a revolutionary phone in the fact that there hasn't been a phone that almost a year after its release, is challenging the newer "advanced" competitors (even though it isn't neck-to-neck) in almost every department.

The Mate and Honor too have also taken price cuts.

Err, not everyone "digs" Samsung's or iPhone's UI (I sure as hell don't). Samsung S7 & S7 edge have actually been a disappointment due to several reasons and the reason Samsung and iPhone sell really well is cos the brand is being sold to people. There are those who believe unless you get one of the two you aren't using a phone or you aren't making a class statement.

does not hold a candle? I want to believe you haven't used both phones. I'll post up pictures if you require cos about 80% of my friends are "iPhone" slaves.
With that, I'll like you to know that the only candle it doesn't hold to the iPhone 7 plus is night/low light shots (pun intended).
Check online reviews you'll notice that iPhone 7 plus always just barely edges the Mate 9, cos Mate 9 doesn't do too well in low light (and it isn't that bad).
Day shots are something else, as I said most of my friends are iPhone users so maybe it has to do with me being a good photographer (I don't think I am, actually just started learning the manual mode though I only use auto) but always they say use your phone bro and send us the pics (even if I'm not in the pics), you have to admit the phone is doing something right.
The way you talk about the picture quality difference like it is a big stuff, no it isn't. It's marginal and I'll take the Mate 9's for day and 7 plus for night shots, lol.

When comparing the BB security and speed of updates, it shouldn't be vs a Mate 9 but all of Android or iPhones etc so. Security is basically the same OS-wide. Reason Mate 9 falls a bit behind is the SoC, whenever Android drops an update, Huawei has to reintegrate that update in its entirety at kernel level and that's one of the disadvantages of using a proprietary processor. Just ask Samsung, it thought it could push through with the Exynos but later realised it had to say with Qualcomm (though now it's trying to sell its Exynos to other brands, build up a large userbase and eliminate that problem).

Which support are you talking about? The only countries in the world that get good support are USA (obviously), a couple of European countries, Korea(Samsung and LG roots) and home countries of brands (eg, China with Huawei, Meizu, Xiaomi etc), every other country you are in, you're done for, no two ways about it.

But you should know that I have a very good support here, my warranty is still active and unlike Nigeria where you can get pooped over, you'll get excellent support here including replacement of devices.

First, you say Huawei is expensive and almost on par with the top-of-the-line brands out there, then you put it down for being cheap as it isn't the criteria for the rich guys out there.

Can you please be specific on whether the Mate 9 is cheap or expensive?

Cos it seems you are confused and to be honest, I have no idea what your last statement means.

Well, if you had understood my post, you would have noticed I complained of the iPhones and Samsungs making phones of identical specs to the Huaweis, ZTEs, Meizu, Xiaomis, Nokias even to an extent on the mid to low tiers, Infinix, Tecnos etc but costing tons more cos of the brand.

And I said I'll never go for brand again but rather look at all makes like they are unbranded then objectively evaluate. Now you come talking about the rich, poor, economise, free-spend etc.

That's the problem with the black folks. You think cos I decided to evaluate the economic implications and making a choice off it I'm a broke-ass guy who's economising cos he has nothing.

You need to get woke, and stay woke.

This is what kills a black man, this is why we are corrupt and bad cos all we can think of if getting stinking rich and spending excessively and unnecessarily to prove we aren't poor/broke-ass.

Evaluating your options and making sound economic decisions doesn't mean being on the "economy drive", it just means you don't want to be "stu**d".

Do you think Bill Gates says "I need a Samsung S4 but let me buy a special custom Titanium S8 plus engraved with stones from Mars so everyone knows I'm the boss in this bi**h"? Hell no!

Do you know Elon Musk still uses an iPhone 5S? Now go and check out the phones of the average black guy out there.

Matter of fact, go and study why black entertainers and sportsmen get broke and file for bankruptcy after having it all.

There are several examples in Nigeria also.

You have to take yourself away from that class slavery, that financial brainwash and live your life for you not anyone else. And no, it doesn't make you cheap, broke or an economiser, it makes you sensible.

3 Likes

Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 6:07am On Aug 03, 2017
TheMainMan:

i just so love g6

LG G3, G4 were very strong for their competitors but LG made the same mistake with the V10 like they did with them.

The Qualcomm SD 808 and 810 were too weak for the beautiful QHD screen and also components. The overheating, bootloop is unfortunate but you have to admit LG sure makes beautiful phones.

The modular G5 shouldn't have been made.

The G6 is good as is the V20.

Waiting on the V30 though to be frank, taking away the back buttons from the V series and also rumours of second screen removed for a floating ticker is disappointing cos those things are what made LG special - novelty.

I remember when people pick my G3 or V10 for the first time and constantly turn the phone over and over searching for the power button. I'll just be smiling like a boss cool

BTW, your G4 is going through the bootloop, you can heat the SoC and memory chip on 375°C for about two minutes with a blower then apply heat sink/pads to them before reassembling. After that you have to root, use a governor and reduce the number of cores (deactivate some cores), that should work.

Alternatively, you can buy a new motherboard, between $70 - 100
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by unmask: 6:20am On Aug 03, 2017
Ivegotsolutions:
With heavy heart, I regret to inform you all that my decision to go for Blackberry Keyone was the greatest mistake I have ever made in chosen a smartphone.

If you intend going for that phone, please don't waste your money like I did.

I bought the phone 227k on the 14th of July, after discovering so many abnormalities with the phone I divided to swap the phone with IPhone 7plus.

The screen of the phone was very small and the navigating keypads are very slow in responds.

The only good thing about the phone is just the battery life.

It was a nightmare to me when no one inside computer village agreed to swap a phone of 227k even if it's for Tecno C1

The only person who agreed to accept the phone was the man who sold it to me. He told me that he can only pay 110k or I pay 185k for the Iphone7 plus. I talked with with for so many hours but he refused.

Tear nearly role out from my eyes��� as I transferred the 185k to him.

Nothing will ever make me use an Android phone again.

Please don't make the same mistake I made.
Android don't need magas like you.....you are right at home where you are.....run along to your shepherd yeye isheep.....bought a bb for 227k lmao.....serves you right
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 6:24am On Aug 03, 2017
2kurupt:

With the frequent software crashes in LG's recent flagships don't you think they've actually run out of class? They have their best days in the mobile phone arena behind them during the G2 era.

That's actually one of the reasons I left LG
G2 international D802
G3 international D855
V10 T-Mobile H901 cos of bands 12 & 20 LTE - MTN user cos that's the frequency they purchased.

G2 was ok, no problems

G3 had screen-flickering issue. I heated the processor and it worked for a few months then had to buy a new MoBo.

V10 bootlooped after 6 months, out of the blue. The night I was traveling out of the country. Lost contacts details, info etc. You can imagine how hurt & mad I was when I realised it is a defect with thousands of victims. Contacted LG and they said I had to pay for international shipping and also cost of repair (I bought from eBay), an estimate of about $300.

They never addressed the screen-flickering of the G3, the bootloop of G4, G5, V10 and V20 though there are a lot of lawsuits and class actions against them.

They have kept silent and their attempts at compensating affected customers is minimal at best.

No class.
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by TheMainMan: 8:36am On Aug 03, 2017
zayidhs:

LG G3, G4 were very strong for their competitors but LG made the same mistake with the V10 like they did with them.

The Qualcomm SD 808 and 810 were too weak for the beautiful QHD screen and also components. The overheating, bootloop is unfortunate but you have to admit LG sure makes beautiful phones.

The modular G5 shouldn't have been made.

The G6 is good as is the V20.

Waiting on the V30 though to be frank, taking away the back buttons from the V series and also rumours of second screen removed for a floating ticker is disappointing cos those things are what made LG special - novelty.

I remember when people pick my G3 or V10 for the first time and constantly turn the phone over and over searching for the power button. I'll just be smiling like a boss cool

BTW, your G4 is going through the bootloop, you can heat the SoC and memory chip on 375°C for about two minutes with a blower then apply heat sink/pads to them before reassembling. After that you have to root, use a governor and reduce the number of cores (deactivate some cores), that should work.

Alternatively, you can buy a new motherboard, between $70 - 100
lol@bolded

thanks very much.... i will try that
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by TheMainMan: 8:37am On Aug 03, 2017
2kurupt:

hmm
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Flashh: 9:39am On Aug 03, 2017
Aleora:
thats weird
Weird in what drift?
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by 400billionman: 3:32pm On Aug 03, 2017
Ivegotsolutions:
With heavy heart, I regret to inform you all that my decision to go for Blackberry Keyone was the greatest mistake I have ever made in chosen a smartphone.

If you intend going for that phone, please don't waste your money like I did.

I bought the phone 227k on the 14th of July, after discovering so many abnormalities with the phone I divided to swap the phone with IPhone 7plus.

The screen of the phone was very small and the navigating keypads are very slow in responds.

The only good thing about the phone is just the battery life.

It was a nightmare to me when no one inside computer village agreed to swap a phone of 227k even if it's for Tecno C1

The only person who agreed to accept the phone was the man who sold it to me. He told me that he can only pay 110k or I pay 185k for the Iphone7 plus. I talked with with for so many hours but he refused.

Tear nearly role out from my eyes��� as I transferred the 185k to him.

Nothing will ever make me use an Android phone again.

Please don't make the same mistake I made.

Sir, you are a rich man.

Rich men do not cry over money.

N227k for one phone.

Okay !
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by 400billionman: 3:35pm On Aug 03, 2017
ahhdah:
Am I the only one that thinks the poster is telling us he has money...
When you were buying.. You no tell us oooo

Maybe that is Hushpuppi.
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 03, 2017
zayidhs:

The Mate 9 is a revolutionary phone in the fact that there hasn't been a phone that almost a year after its release, is challenging the newer "advanced" competitors (even though it isn't neck-to-neck) in almost every department.

Err, not everyone "digs" Samsung's or iPhone's UI (I sure as hell don't). Samsung S7 & S7 edge have actually been a disappointment due to several reasons and the reason Samsung and iPhone sell really well is cos the brand is being sold to people. There are those who believe unless you get one of the two you aren't using a phone or you aren't making a class statement.

How is Huawei mate 9 been a revolutionary phone? How has the S7 duo been a disappointment? How is Huawei challenging the newer competitors while G5, S7, Z Premium and HTC 10 aren't ?
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Stevengold(m): 6:06pm On Aug 03, 2017
NCP:
Shey no be you open this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3936539/unboxing-new-blackberry-keyone

cheesy cheesy the guy Taya me, after the hype.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 12:43am On Aug 04, 2017
ollah1:

How is Huawei mate 9 been a revolutionary phone? How has the S7 duo been a disappointment? How is Huawei challenging the newer competitors while G5, S7, Z Premium and HTC 10 aren't ?

See questions sha, anyway, I'll reply you but your answer is right where your questions stemmed from.

I said The Mate 9 is a revolutionary phone in the fact that there hasn't been a phone that almost a year after its release, is challenging the newer "advanced" competitors (even though it isn't neck-to-neck) in almost every department.

This is because companies do not have a uniform calendar for release of products rather, each targets a window period of its rivals such that when users have access to new devices, after a few months, a rival releases its own, and after a few months another rival and so on until a full-year's cycle is done. This goes on every year.

So what happens?

Simple, the companies look for deficiency in rival's devices and upgrade theirs, they also upgrade on hardware and software or bring innovations targeting those that have the financial clout to change phones every 6-9 months (before a year so the user doesn't get to see a newer model for his/her phone).

Why do you think companies start advertising or leaking expected technology, improvements and renders of phones 6 months before release? To let their customers know that something good is coming so they don't jump ship.

Now back to my point.

Usually after 6 months, phones that are 6+ months old do not come close to new releases. Most especially, speed cos of processor, memory upgrades and software fine-tuning.

The Mate 9 is challenging all new phones in that department even though it's 9 months old (this is a fact, you can go and check speed tests, reviews, also benchmark tests) also, the camera isn't that bad and battery life is awesome.

The sweet thing with the benchmark tests is that there are many tests, and the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 did beat the Hisilicon Kirin 960 overall but not hands down or a wide margin cos they were both winning different tests(though as I said earlier, the 835 won).

That's what I was talking about.

S7 & edge are a disappointment cos 1. TouchWiz, 2. Black screen, 3. Screen burn-in, 4. Several complains of overheating, 5. Connectivity issues, 6. Charging problems, 7. Susceptibility to screen damage on the 7 edge & 8. Screen halo effect on 7 edge among others.
Just too many issues.

The challenge I'm talking about that others aren't mounting is that there is not a 9+ month old phone that is challenging the S8s, the iPhone 7s, the G6s and HTC 11s if not Mate 9.
Definitely not HTC 10, not G5 and not the S7.
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 04, 2017
zayidhs:

See questions sha, anyway, I'll reply you but your answer is right where your questions stemmed from.

I said The Mate 9 is a revolutionary phone in the fact that there hasn't been a phone that almost a year after its release, is challenging the newer "advanced" competitors (even though it isn't neck-to-neck) in almost every department.

This is because companies do not have a uniform calendar for release of products rather, each targets a window period of its rivals such that when users have access to new devices, after a few months, a rival releases its own, and after a few months another rival and so on until a full-year's cycle is done. This goes on every year.

So what happens?

Simple, the companies look for deficiency in rival's devices and upgrade theirs, they also upgrade on hardware and software or bring innovations targeting those that have the financial clout to change phones every 6-9 months (before a year so the user doesn't get to see a newer model for his/her phone).

Why do you think companies start advertising or leaking expected technology, improvements and renders of phones 6 months before release? To let their customers know that something good is coming so they don't jump ship.

Now back to my point.

Usually after 6 months, phones that are 6+ months old do not come close to new releases. Most especially, speed cos of processor, memory upgrades and software fine-tuning.

The Mate 9 is challenging all new phones in that department even though it's 9 months old (this is a fact, you can go and check speed tests, reviews, also benchmark tests) also, the camera isn't that bad and battery life is awesome.

The sweet thing with the benchmark tests is that there are many tests, and the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 did beat the Hisilicon Kirin 960 overall but not hands down or a wide margin cos they were both winning different tests(though as I said earlier, the 835 won).

That's what I was talking about.

S7 & edge are a disappointment cos 1. TouchWiz, 2. Black screen, 3. Screen burn-in, 4. Several complains of overheating, 5. Connectivity issues, 6. Charging problems, 7. Susceptibility to screen damage on the 7 edge & 8. Screen halo effect on 7 edge among others.
Just too many issues.

The challenge I'm talking about that others aren't mounting is that there is not a 9+ month old phone that is challenging the S8s, the iPhone 7s, the G6s and HTC 11s if not Mate 9.
Definitely not HTC 10, not G5 and not the S7.

Lol. I guess you are new to the tech world especially when it comes to phone comparisons. The only reason Mate 9 is still being compared to is because its the last flagship from Huawei and once Mate 10 releases then Mate 9 won't be talked about anymore. It's the same for all flagships. Prior to S8 launch, S7 was always mentioned.

iPhone 7 is always mentioned now but it will stop once iPhone 8 or x or 7s releases. You don't need to praise the Mate 9 to high heavens.

You must really hate the S7 cos your comment about it is just out of this world but surely out of hatred as well. I wonder how a phone with all these "problems" sold in the millions and customers aren't complaining. Some ex Note 7 users switched to S7 duo and no complaints besides missing their Note 7 and the same S7 edge won 2016 best phone of the year in the market that as the "revolutionary mate 9", Google pixel, iPhone 7 et al.

Quit the unnecessary praises about Mate 9, it's a solid phone no doubt but it ends there. You should also be glad Note 7 busted into flames cos some users switched to Mate 9 because of the Large screen estate and the Note 7 design rip off
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2017
ollah1:

Lol. I guess you are new to the tech world especially when it comes to phone comparisons. The only reason Mate 9 is still being compared to is because its the last flagship from Huawei and once Mate 10 releases then Mate 9 won't be talked about anymore. It's the same for all flagships. Prior to S8 launch, S7 was always mentioned.

iPhone 7 is always mentioned now but it will stop once iPhone 8 or x or 7s releases. You don't need to praise the Mate 9 to high heavens.

You must really hate the S7 cos your comment about it is just out of this world but surely out of hatred as well. I wonder how a phone with all these "problems" sold in the millions and customers aren't complaining. Some ex Note 7 users switched to S7 duo and no complaints besides missing their Note 7 and the same S7 edge won 2016 best phone of the year in the market that as the "revolutionary mate 9", Google pixel, iPhone 7 et al.

Quit the unnecessary praises about Mate 9, it's a solid phone no doubt but it ends there. You should also be glad Note 7 busted into flames cos some users switched to Mate 9 because of the Large screen estate and the Note 7 design rip off

I really wanted to reply and address all you've said but I don't need to.

Matter of fact, they way you put my knowledge and exposure in tech world in a condescending manner got me writing out things but I don't have to go through that path. So, I deleted, I'm not here to let you know who I am or what I do but I do assure you that if you knew, you'd take back that statement quicker than Tianhe-2(pun intended)

And if you had read my post well you'd have noticed my point of comparison of the Mate 9 is with newer phones that are supposed to be faster and better but somehow the Mate 9 is giving a good fight.

Now if you do follow tech trends as you insinuated from your opening line, you'd know that it is not normal for an old device to be mounting up such a challenge.

I have no hatred for Samsung whatsoever.

I dislike the fact that both Samsung and iPhone are riding on a brand name and get away by monopolising the market and using every means possible to drown the smaller companies.

All the problems I mentioned with the S7 are know issues. You might help yourself by googling, doing a bit of research or asking people who use the phone.

Maybe the reason I know Samsung S7 edge so well is because I once bought my wife an S4, she broke the screen, then an A5 which she dropped in a pot of soup while on fire, then an S5 which was stolen at an owambe and now an S7 edge she has been using since June 2016. My wife using these phones also qualifies me to be a judge on Samsung matters(that's the only reason why I made mention of the phones I got her so you know I'm well informed on Samsung).

I was an iPhone user (5 and 5S) and right now I have a MacBook Pro(means I can also make judgment on Apple products).

Sometimes people are quick to judge, I don't know if you've used an S7 edge or a mate 9 so I'm not going to conclude that you like or hate Samsung or Huawei.

It's always good to give a person benefit of the doubt before making assumptions on what you have no idea about.
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 05, 2017
zayidhs:

I really wanted to reply and address all you've said but I don't need to.

Matter of fact, they way you put my knowledge and exposure in tech world in a condescending manner got me writing out things but I don't have to go through that path. So, I deleted, I'm not here to let you know who I am or what I do but I do assure you that if you knew, you'd take back that statement quicker than Tianhe-2(pun intended)

And if you had read my post well you'd have noticed my point of comparison of the Mate 9 is with newer phones that are supposed to be faster and better but somehow the Mate 9 is giving a good fight.

Now if you do follow tech trends as you insinuated from your opening line, you'd know that it is not normal for an old device to be mounting up such a challenge.

I have no hatred for Samsung whatsoever.

I dislike the fact that both Samsung and iPhone are riding on a brand name and get away by monopolising the market and using every means possible to drown the smaller companies.

All the problems I mentioned with the S7 are know issues. You might help yourself by googling, doing a bit of research or asking people who use the phone.

Maybe the reason I know Samsung S7 edge so well is because I once bought my wife an S4, she broke the screen, then an A5 which she dropped in a pot of soup while on fire, then an S5 which was stolen at an owambe and now an S7 edge she has been using since June 2016. My wife using these phones also qualifies me to be a judge on Samsung matters(that's the only reason why I made mention of the phones I got her so you know I'm well informed on Samsung).

I was an iPhone user (5 and 5S) and right now I have a MacBook Pro(means I can also make judgment on Apple products).

Sometimes people are quick to judge, I don't know if you've used an S7 edge or a mate 9 so I'm not going to conclude that you like or hate Samsung or Huawei.

It's always good to give a person benefit of the doubt before making assumptions on what you have no idea about.

Emotions, emotions, emotions bro..Mate 9 is a solid device and that's where it ends. It's putting up a fight against the newer phones same way last year high end devices from top OEM puts up fights against newer phones. No one is praising them to high heavens because the quality of phones now alongside the chipsets is out of this world. People can easily use upper midranger as against flagship and wouldn't feel at a loss

Google pixel, Samsung S7, HTC M10, LG G5, Sony Xperia z premium et al still holds well against this year flagship. So why praise only Huawei mate 9 if it's not about fanboyism? If those "problems"were actually problems then S7 Edge wouldn't have won 2016 phone of the year and also selling the millions .Same concept upon which Xiaomi stole to design Mi Note 2 and Huawei for the Mate 9.

You wife has been using S7 for more than a year and you didn't change the phone if truly it has those "probelems"? Why didn't you visit the store you bought it for a replacement since its under a warranty? Every phone on earth searched on Google will give you negative reviews because it's a device. It depends on how the positives outweighs the negatives. The "glorious" mate 9 will also bring out same results.

I don't use an S7 but I've got friends that use/used it and no complains about anything.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Etesam(m): 12:48pm On Aug 05, 2017
iAmGee770:
So you decided to leave a great phone all because of memory slot for a 'smackberry' abi? Issorite! Wu sha see.

Sha don't come here to tell us it's been a source of headache to you in few months time. I bet with you lalasticlala will not graduate that to the fp.

BTW enjoy am cos na your money buy am
sad
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
ollah1:

Emotions, emotions, emotions bro..Mate 9 is a solid device and that's where it ends. It's putting up a fight against the newer phones same way last year high end devices from top OEM puts up fights against newer phones. No one is praising them to high heavens because the quality of phones now alongside the chipsets is out of this world. People can easily use upper midranger as against flagship and wouldn't feel at a loss

Google pixel, Samsung S7, HTC M10, LG G5, Sony Xperia z premium et al still holds well against this year flagship. So why praise only Huawei mate 9 if it's not about fanboyism? If those "problems"were actually problems then S7 Edge wouldn't have won 2016 phone of the year and also selling the millions .Same concept upon which Xiaomi stole to design Mi Note 2 and Huawei for the Mate 9.

You wife has been using S7 for more than a year and you didn't change the phone if truly it has those "probelems"? Why didn't you visit the store you bought it for a replacement since its under a warranty? Every phone on earth searched on Google will give you negative reviews because it's a device. It depends on how the positives outweighs the negatives. The "glorious" mate 9 will also bring out same results.

I don't use an S7 but I've got friends that use/used it and no complains about anything.

You see what I said, = fanboyism, but the Internet makes it so; gives people a platform to be flippant etc.

The reason I haven't gotten her something else is because she's a Samsung person and she's going to get an S8 plus for her birthday in about a month and a half's time (I didn't need to have to disclose that but the way you act like you know all).

Don't worry, when you get to use the S7, an S8, a Mate 9, Mate 10, Note 8 etc, you can come and make your points. But right now, I'm not taking flak about phones I use from someone who is basing his points on my friends have. No phone reviewer in this world with his/her years of experience in the field and solid reputation uses someone else's experience to give a rating on any device without hands-on experience yet here you are Mr-know-all.

BTW, I'll save your moniker and create a thread (just so you don't call me a lier) for unboxing her S8 plus and my Mate 10 ok, & it's something I've never done but knowing Nigerians, you can say I'm lying.

BTW, this is it for me on this issue ������
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 05, 2017
zayidhs:

You see what I said, = fanboyism, but the Internet makes it so; gives people a platform to be flippant etc.

The reason I haven't gotten her something else is because she's a Samsung person and she's going to get an S8 plus for her birthday in about a month and a half's time (I didn't need to have to disclose that but the way you act like you know all).

Don't worry, when you get to use the S7, an S8, a Mate 9, Mate 10, Note 8 etc, you can come and make your points. But right now, I'm not taking flak about phones I use from someone who is basing his points on my friends have. No phone reviewer in this world with his/her years of experience in the field and solid reputation uses someone else's experience to give a rating on any device without hands-on experience yet here you are Mr-know-all.

BTW, I'll save your moniker and create a thread (just so you don't call me a lier) for unboxing her S8 plus and my Mate 10 ok, & it's something I've never done but knowing Nigerians, you can say I'm lying.

BTW, this is it for me on this issue ������

What are basing your conclusions on? Your wifes phone, that's just one in millions sold in the market and you don't want me to base mine on my friends. You listed things plaguing her phone but didn't return it to the company you bought it from or picked up another Samsung for her after more than a year. It must be real big problems.

I presently use an S6 edge and S7 duo are better phones in all angles besides IR blaster. I would have replaced it with the S8 plus but the rear fingerprint pulled me back.

Sir, don't tag me as Mr know it all. The name belongs to you, you are the one that concluded mate 9 is a revolutionary phone. You are the one that concluded that mate 9 gives the newer phones a run for their money. You concluded s7 is a disappointment based on one phone which is still your wifes daily driver. You concluded mate series are better than the top end galaxies.

An unboxing thread about the S8 exist here already and besides a friend/neighbour uses the plus version. It will be nice to see the thread but surely the Mate 10 will be an "all round better phone"
Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by LordAdam16: 4:30pm On Aug 05, 2017
zayidhs:

Huawei saying they are targeting top of the pile doesn't mean it won't make phones for your average Joe but that their top-tier line will be premium and will aim to challenge the best.

First off, I completely missed your reply. Didn't receive a mention notif.

That said,

Read the link -- https://www.phonearena.com/news/Huawei-leaving-the-low-end-market-focus-is-on-premium-smartphones_id96464

This is Yu's statement

We are giving up the very low-end devices because the margin in this is extremely low, and it’s not making enough profit for us.

Huawei has already made the shift to making their top-tier devices "premium" since 2015 -- http://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-30-yoy-growth-2014-582882/ and prices of their flagships have reflected that newfound direction.

In 2016, they set their target to trump Apple to become #2 in 2018-- https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Huawei-sets-targets-to-surpass-Apple-and-Samsung, and surpass Samsung to become #1 by 2021-- http://consumer.huawei.com/en/press/media-coverage/2016/hw-473066/.

And about the prices

1. P8 cost 230 EUR at launch
2. P9 cost 350 EUR at launch
3. P10 cost 500 EUR at launch

1. Mate 8 cost 430 EUR at launch
2. Mate 9 cost about 630 EUR at launch

From all indications the Mate 10 would cost more than the Mate 9 at launch.

The question is why spend so much on a Mate line when there's the Samsung Note line, the LG V line, and the iPhone Plus line? Why? The price difference is less than 200 EUR, the Note 7 (before its demise) was better, the V20 is better (launched at 560 EUR btw), the 7 Plus is better.

There is absolutely nothing "revolutionary" about the Mate 9. Nothing?

The Pixel, S8, and U11 take better pictures despite having less MPs on their cameras. And that's supposed to be one of its major selling point, after all they partnered with Leica. It uses LCD at 373 ppi, the S8 uses AMOLED at 570 ppi. It isn't challenging any newer "advanced" competitor, the newer "advanced" competitors are simply better. For example, you can't compare the SD 835 or Exynos 8895 to the Kirin 960.

Saying it holds its own against "advanced" competitors is like saying the S7 held its own against "advanced competitors."

Most phone brands except Apple and Sony take regular price cuts.

What exactly about the S7/S7 edge is a disappointment?

does not hold a candle? I want to believe you haven't used both phones. I'll post up pictures if you require cos about 80% of my friends are "iPhone" slaves.
With that, I'll like you to know that the only candle it doesn't hold to the iPhone 7 plus is night/low light shots (pun intended).
Check online reviews you'll notice that iPhone 7 plus always just barely edges the Mate 9, cos Mate 9 doesn't do too well in low light (and it isn't that bad).
Day shots are something else, as I said most of my friends are iPhone users so maybe it has to do with me being a good photographer (I don't think I am, actually just started learning the manual mode though I only use auto) but always they say use your phone bro and send us the pics (even if I'm not in the pics), you have to admit the phone is doing something right.
The way you talk about the picture quality difference like it is a big stuff, no it isn't. It's marginal and I'll take the Mate 9's for day and 7 plus for night shots, lol.

A camera is supposed to be an all-round winner.

The iPhone 7 Plus is. The S8 duo is. The S7 duo is. The Pixel is. The HTC U11 is. Heck, even the Nokia 1020 released in 2013 is.

So, when I say the Mate 9 camera doesn't hold a candle against the iPhone 7 Plus camera, I'm spitting facts and that's despite it having a dual camera with Huawei choosing the monochrome setup that should make it shoot better low light photos.

When comparing the BB security and speed of updates, it shouldn't be vs a Mate 9 but all of Android or iPhones etc so. Security is basically the same OS-wide. Reason Mate 9 falls a bit behind is the SoC, whenever Android drops an update, Huawei has to reintegrate that update in its entirety at kernel level and that's one of the disadvantages of using a proprietary processor. Just ask Samsung, it thought it could push through with the Exynos but later realised it had to say with Qualcomm (though now it's trying to sell its Exynos to other brands, build up a large userbase and eliminate that problem).

Why shouldn't it be vs the Mate 9? BB Security is its selling point? It is why they can afford to charge 630 EUR at launch for a pkb with SD 625 and still sell out.

What exactly is Mate 9 selling point? Nothing. Except being cheaper than the iPhones and the Galaxies and not offering anything better.

Which support are you talking about? The only countries in the world that get good support are USA (obviously), a couple of European countries, Korea(Samsung and LG roots) and home countries of brands (eg, China with Huawei, Meizu, Xiaomi etc), every other country you are in, you're done for, no two ways about it.

Seriously, the Note 7 was returned in Nigeria FYI -- http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/return-your-samsung-galaxy-note7-for-replacement-nigerian-users-urged/.

And International updates hit phones in Nigeria as well. iOS is a given, but also Android... S7 Nougat update is available to devices in Nigeria.

First, you say Huawei is expensive and almost on par with the top-of-the-line brands out there, then you put it down for being cheap as it isn't the criteria for the rich guys out there.

Can you please be specific on whether the Mate 9 is cheap or expensive?

Cos it seems you are confused and to be honest, I have no idea what your last statement means.

It appears you have issues with comprehension. The Huawei flagships are priced close to flagships from the known brands, but they are cheaper. How is that effing difficult to understand?

It's like LG, their high-end devices may be priced close to flagships from the known brands, but they are cheaper.

And my point is that the price savings for the Huawei flagships ain't worth sh*t. Better add the couple tens or at most $100 to get a true premium device that is the best, not an effing challenger that falls short.

Look at the Mate 9 Pro. Launched at 800 EUR with a Note 7 clone design, whereas the iPhone 7 Plus with superior chipset, camera, resale value launched at 830 EUR.

As for my last statement, use a dictionary will you. People on economy drive are looking to make savings and reduce expenditure. To them, the less than $100 or up to $200 savings for an inferior device that's playing catch-up is worth it.

Well, if you had understood my post, you would have noticed I complained of the iPhones and Samsungs making phones of identical specs to the Huaweis, ZTEs, Meizu, Xiaomis, Nokias even to an extent on the mid to low tiers, Infinix, Tecnos etc but costing tons more cos of the brand.

Phones aren't all about specs. For a while Samsung and LG held the baton for pushing the spec race. Then they held back, thought to themselves, what the hell. How about we offer a complete, refined, no-holds-barred experience that works. And that was a major turning point. Samsung phones began to look better design-wise since the S6, the TouchWiz was overhauled, and they started adding unique propositions like the Samsung Pay that supports MST and NFC, unlike Android Pay and Apple Pay.

And that's why the Pixel with its 4 GB RAM is more fluid than the ZTE Nubia Z17 with its 8GB RAM. And the iPhone 7 Plus with its dual 12 + 12 MP camera takes better low-light shots than the Mate 9 with its Dual 20 + 12 MP camera.

On the low- and mid-tier, of course that's where the Chinese rule, because the top brands wouldn't devote the resources to develop a top-flight experience for peeps who are looking to spend less than $300 for a phone. It's called business. And in these regions, like for example Nigeria where the minimum wage is less than $80; you've to cut your coat according to your cloth.

And I said I'll never go for brand again but rather look at all makes like they are unbranded then objectively evaluate. Now you come talking about the rich, poor, economise, free-spend etc.

I didn't use any of those words, and I didn't even imply that. If I'm earning six figures (in naira), but I'm in debt, and have a lot of commitments, I sure as hell would think twice before buying the iPhone 7 or the S8. If I'm not in a tight spot and I'm looking to splurge, I would choose the best that fits my needs.

However, if my revenue is in five figures, I wouldn't even contemplate buying the iPhone 7, the S8 or even the Mate 9. That is the cheap narrative. The iPhone 7 duo, the S8 duo, the LG G6, the HTC U11, the Pixel, the Sony XZ Premium are the best phones in the market. If you aren't looking to score savings, take your pick. If you are looking to make savings and wouldn't mind a few downsides, then turn to China.

Very simple.

If Nigeria was a high-income country, most people would be able to afford the latest flagships and would rightly get them.

That's the problem with the black folks. You think cos I decided to evaluate the economic implications and making a choice off it I'm a broke-ass guy who's economising cos he has nothing.

Where did I infer that?

Is Huawei not selling the Mate 9 in the US? Is the OnePlus 5 not being offered in the US and Europe?

I simply said, "but the better for being cheap narrative isn't always compelling for peeps who are not on economy drive."

Your entire mention of the Chinese brands is based on the fact that they offer decent products at a fair price.

Not everyone wants a decent product at a fair price. Most people who have the cash at hand want the best product they can lay their hands on, eg. the OP of this thread. If the product is expensive but isn't easily the best, the sales would be abysmal, case in the point the BlackBerry Priv, the HTC U Play, the Sony Z5, the LG G5 et cetera.

People who buy the iPhone 7 duo aren't "Apple slaves," they're buying the best (and only) phones running on iOS. The camera rivals DSLRs, the chipset obliterates every other mobile chipset in performance, the updates are frequent and on-time, the experience is the gold standard. It just effing works.

It's similar for the Galaxy S8 duo. The chipset is the best for Android phones, design is the best on the planet, screen is the best on the planet, on every other metric it is either the best or amongst the best.

Now if you say you simply don't want the best you can lay your hands on because of [insert your reason here], I wouldn't give you flak. Just don't think it'd make sense to people spending their money on the best.

You need to get woke, and stay woke.

This is what kills a black man, this is why we are corrupt and bad cos all we can think of if getting stinking rich and spending excessively and unnecessarily to prove we aren't poor/broke-ass.

Evaluating your options and making sound economic decisions doesn't mean being on the "economy drive", it just means you don't want to be "stu**d".

Do you think Bill Gates says "I need a Samsung S4 but let me buy a special custom Titanium S8 plus engraved with stones from Mars so everyone knows I'm the boss in this bi**h"? Hell no!

Do you know Elon Musk still uses an iPhone 5S? Now go and check out the phones of the average black guy out there.

Matter of fact, go and study why black entertainers and sportsmen get broke and file for bankruptcy after having it all.

There are several examples in Nigeria also.

You have to take yourself away from that class slavery, that financial brainwash and live your life for you not anyone else. And no, it doesn't make you cheap, broke or an economiser, it makes you sensible.

Take a chill pill, fella.

Who are you to determine what counts as excessive spending for someone else?

The iPhone is the most expensive flagship, but still the most sold smartphone on the planet. So you mean all the people who bought the iPhone are/were "spending excessively and unnecessarily" or not "sensible."

So Elon Musk uses an iPhone 5S. Big deal! Who effing cares? It's a bloody iPhone that people in the West can get for free by trading an older iPhone and paying the difference in installments monthly. If carriers in Nigeria offered a similar deal, Infinix and their cohorts would see sales drops.

Warren Buffet used a 2006 Cadillac for 8 years. Would you do same if you had his kind of wealth?

I'm sick of this "I'm frugal. So anyone who isn't is dumb" narrative. Bruv you can shove your frugal lifestyle where the sun does not shine.

That you do not want to spend more for a better device when you have the money doesn't make you smart. That's your choice. Simple as.

And again as I said, the better for being cheap narrative isn't always compelling for peeps who are not on economy drive.

Now let me explain that so you don't misunderstand me again.

That statement means:

Some peeps who are not on economy drive may find the better for being cheap narrative compelling. You fall into this category.
Most peeps who are not on economy drive would not find the better for being cheap narrative compelling. Most of the people buying iPhones and Galaxies fall into this category.
Most peeps who are on economy drive would find the better for being cheap narrative compelling.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone by LordAdam16: 4:53pm On Aug 05, 2017
ollah1:

What are basing your conclusions on? Your wifes phone, that's just one in millions sold in the market and you don't want me to base mine on my friends. You listed things plaguing her phone but didn't return it to the company you bought it from or picked up another Samsung for her after more than a year. It must be real big problems.

I presently use an S6 edge and S7 duo are better phones in all angles besides IR blaster. I would have replaced it with the S8 plus but the rear fingerprint pulled me back.

Sir, don't tag me as Mr know it all. The name belongs to you, you are the one that concluded mate 9 is a revolutionary phone. You are the one that concluded that mate 9 gives the newer phones a run for their money. You concluded s7 is a disappointment based on one phone which is still your wifes daily driver. You concluded mate series are better than the top end galaxies.

An unboxing thread about the S8 exist here already and besides a friend/neighbour uses the plus version. It will be nice to see the thread but surely the Mate 10 will be an "all round better phone"

The guy is a Huawei fanboy.

Funny thing is Huawei is trying effortless to be like, sell like, and price like Apple and Samsung that he is shading.

I'm waiting for him to buy the Mate 10 and I'll compare the price and performance to phones from LG and HTC whose phones are at or below Huawei's price point.

If you ask him why Huawei doesn't use the Leica camera for the much cheaper Honor flagships, he'd prolly go mute. He thinks the small top-end features he is enjoying on the Mate 9 would have been possible if he didn't pay near-top-dollar for it.

Make China dey use he head play ping-pong.

-Lord

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Did You Receive Airtime Bonus From MTN Today? / [HOT] Download Galaxy S6 Apps For All Android Devices - APK Files / Download Flash Share App For Android Gadgets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.