Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? (770 Views)

I Don’t Know What To Do, Christianity Is Fast Spreading In My Country: / Imam Of Peace Warns Christians To Wakeup, Else Radical Muslim Will Consume Them / Why Do Thousands Of Churches Differ In Doctrine Yet They Read The Bible - Freeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:09pm On Aug 02, 2017
If the OT punished blasphemy with death, how is Christianity different than radical Islam? Didn't the Old Testament punish blasphemy with death? How then is that different from radical Islam? Why does the Old Testament contain so much brutality and violence?
Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by HajimeSaito(m): 7:15pm On Aug 02, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
If the OT punished blasphemy with death, how is Christianity different than radical Islam? Didn't the Old Testament punish blasphemy with death? How then is that different from radical Islam? Why does the Old Testament contain so much brutality as radical Islam?

Violence, especially violent death, in the Old Testament was usually a punishment for sins like armed robbery, murder, adultery and yes, blasphemy.

Blasphemy in Christianity means making up lies or falsehood about the character of Yahweh, while in islam it means being disrespectful to allah even if what you are saying about him is true.

Christians do not worship whatever it is that muslims worship.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by daviddagreat: 10:21pm On Aug 02, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
If the OT punished blasphemy with death, how is Christianity different than radical Islam? Didn't the Old Testament punish blasphemy with death? How then is that different from radical Islam? Why does the Old Testament contain so much brutality and violence?

hmmm..... I really think the over 3,000 victims of the sept 11 wud beg to differ or the victims of the Orlando shooting not forgetting the Manchester bombing,the blast in paris. I cud go on and on buh am depreessed already.

how dare u compare the bible with a book that says there is no compulsion in religion buh ask u to kill apostate (those that renounce Islam). a book that says the earth is flat and the sun sets in a pool, whose prophet is a bloodthirsty warlord and a phedophlie as well, who spread his faith with a sword. please get ur facts ryt befoe posting

quick question hw many Christians have killed people because of what they read in the old testament and hw many territorist organizations are in Christianity.

pls qoute the most worrisome verses in the old testament and I will double the number with verses from the Qur'an

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:56pm On Aug 03, 2017
HajimeSaito:

Violence, especially violent death, in the Old Testament was usually a punishment for sins like armed robbery, murder, adultery and yes, blasphemy.

Blasphemy in Christianity means making up lies or falsehood about the character of Yahweh, while in islam it means being disrespectful to allah even if what you are saying about him is true.

Christians do not worship whatever it is that muslims worship.

But do Christians actually execute those who blaspheme Yahweh? undecided
Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by HajimeSaito(m): 12:11am On Aug 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

But do Christians actually execute those who blaspheme Yahweh? undecided

Not in recent times, but many centuries ago Christians used to execute blasphemers.
Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:48am On Aug 04, 2017
HajimeSaito:

Not in recent times, but many centuries ago Christians used to execute blasphemers.

When did Jesus or His apostles advocate for the execution of blasphemers? undecided
Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by HajimeSaito(m): 12:25pm On Aug 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

When did Jesus or His apostles advocate for the execution of blasphemers? undecided

Jesus himself never advocated execution of blasphemers. When he was on the cross and the Pharisees were mocking and blaspheming him he responded in Luke 23:34 by saying:

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

Jesus never approved killing people for blaspheming his name but later on some Christians like the Catholic Church decided against the authority of Scripture that they would punish people for blasphemy.

My point is that not all of us as Christians follow Christ's example and when we decide to take matters into our hands like the Catholic Church did, the results are always catastrophic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:38pm On Aug 09, 2017
HajimeSaito:

Jesus himself never advocated execution of blasphemers. When he was on the cross and the Pharisees were mocking and blaspheming him he responded in Luke 23:34 by saying:

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

Jesus never approved killing people for blaspheming his name but later on some Christians like the Catholic Church decided against the authority of Scripture that they would punish people for blasphemy.

My point is that not all of us as Christians follow Christ's example and when we decide to take matters into our hands like the Catholic Church did, the results are always catastrophic.

That should tell you that those not following Jesus' instructions and example cannot be called true Christians.
Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2017
daviddagreat:

hmmm..... I really think the over 3,000 victims of the sept 11 wud beg to differ or the victims of the Orlando shooting not forgetting the Manchester bombing,the blast in paris. I cud go on and on buh am depreessed already.

Remember that the OP is not comparing religions but the emphasis is only looking at the seeming similarities on their respective blasphemy laws.

daviddagreat:

how dare u compare the bible with a book that says there is no compulsion in religion buh ask u to kill apostate (those that renounce Islam). a book that says the earth is flat and the sun sets in a pool, whose prophet is a bloodthirsty warlord and a phedophlie as well, who spread his faith with a sword. please get ur facts ryt befoe posting

Again the OP is not comparing the Bible with the Qur'an. The blasphemy laws in the Bible was punishable by violent death but in Christianity this no longer happens. The grace of God through our Lord Jesus Christ has given us the opportunity to repent and believe the gospel before death eventually catches up and eternal death begins.

daviddagreat:

quick question hw many Christians have killed people because of what they read in the old testament and hw many territorist organizations are in Christianity.

None that am aware of.

daviddagreat:

pls qoute the most worrisome verses in the old testament and I will double the number with verses from the Qur'an

Are there any worrisome verses for Christianity in the OT? undecided
Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by daviddagreat: 8:20am On Aug 11, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Remember that the OP is not comparing religions but the emphasis its only looking at the seeming similarities on their respective blasphemy laws.

Again the OP is not comparing the Bible with the Qur'an. The blasphemy laws in the Bible was punishable by violent death but it in Christianity this no longer happens. The grace of God through our Lord Jesus Christ has given us the opportunity to repent and believe the gospel before death eventually catches up and eternal death begins.

None that am aware of.

Are there any worrisome verses for Christianity in the OT? undecided
well d post suggested there are.
okay here is the basic difference btw d OT and the Qur'an
the OT are records of things that happened which may be violent, while the Qur'an direct it believers to carryout act of violence on Christians,Jews and apostate in one word unbelievers.

I apologize if I misunderstood the post tho
Re: Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
daviddagreat:

well d post suggested there are.
okay here is the basic difference btw d OT and the Qur'an
the OT are records of things that happened which may be violent, while the Qur'an direct it believers to carryout act of violence on Christians,Jews and apostate in one word unbelievers.

I apologize if I misunderstood the post tho

You have done well. smiley Below are suggested answers to the OP:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Old-Testament-blasphemy.html

(1) (Reply)

Adron Ileya Promo / Nairaland Gospel Musician Releases Song Titled "You Love Me" (video) / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 13/09/17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.