Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,030 members, 7,814,511 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell (30584 Views)

Woman Lives With Her Intestines Hanging Outside After Surviving A Shooting In US / Nigerian Man, Efosa Silas Sick at UAE Hospital, Who Knows The Family? / Different Types Of People When They Fall Sick (images) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by DRIFTyKING(m): 8:57pm On Aug 02, 2017
Having baby with sickle cell – No woman should be afraid to have children due to the fear of how it might change her for the worse.

Before I had my second child, I was very nervous, especially when I remembered the ordeal I underwent during the course of my first child. Lots of thoughts crossed my mind; I was mostly concerned about having a sickle cell crisis and being pregnant: I knew the statistics and the accompanying consequences, but I was determined to go ahead with my decision to have another baby.

I just had to bring a sibling for my son. Having sickle cell and conceiving is associated with both maternal and fetal complications as well as heightened incidences of perinatal mortality, premature labour, fetal growth restriction, acute painful crises during pregnancy, early caesarean section, maternal mortality and an elevated risk of pre-eclampsia.

I noticed many of these symptoms when I was pregnant with my son. It was so bad that I was hospitalized for four weeks before giving birth to him five weeks early; the thought of this uncertainty and risk left me very worried and scared. However, after a few years passed, I said to myself that there was no way I should put off having another child only because I was afraid. I decided to have a planned pregnancy where I would be able to work with my doctors from the very beginning to see me through the entire journey.

My second pregnant, like the first one, started off great, with very little morning sickness, I was eating well and all my observations were always perfect, even the monthly scan of the fetus was great. My baby was growing well and all her measurements were on the right track. My medical teams were fantastic and used to see me on a monthly basis to ensure that I was doing well, physically and mentally.

I was seen on a monthly basis by my hematologist team as they managed my sickle cell along with the antenatal doctors, who managed the baby.

However, during my third trimester, I started to notice some changes such as decreased appetite, aggressive itchiness, jaundice, dark urine, which my doctors diagnosed as cholestasis and pruritis, swollen feet, and frequent sickle cell pains all over my body.

To add to my woes, I had a history of hyperheamolysis, which made it impossible to receive blood even though my hemoglobin level was low and dropping every time I did a blood test. I got so bad, that I had stopped going out, as I couldn’t walk more than a 100 yards at a time.

My sickle cell got worst each day, but I was lucky that I was managed by the best doctors who understood my condition innately and did everything that they could to ensure that my baby and I got out of any ordeal unscathed.

In conclusion, the whole experience changed me from within and gave me a new gratitude for life. I appreciated the work of all doctors and found meaning in the adage: where there is health there is wealth. I spent a lot of my stay in hospital thinking about myself, and the fact that I would have not survived had I not been given such great treatments.

My advice to women suffering from sickle cell and planning on having babies is to listen to your body and work very closely with your doctors. It is very important to listen to your body and look out for subtle signs of changes and don’t ignore them. These are ways of your body telling you that something is wrong. Take things easy and try not to overdo anything.

Eat well and if you notice you are losing your appetite significantly, eat what your body craves, so that you don’t go without food and drink a lot of fluid.

Anne Welsh, a Sickle Cell sufferer and activist, PR and Crises Management consultant and businesswoman with two children under the age of 8, is working on a book called Overcoming My Invisible Battle. This book will shine the light on Anne Welsh living with the disease and her coping mechanisms.

She is a whole-hearted exponent of the view that Sickle cell has a big effect on women who are pregnant especially when it is poorly managed. Reliving the events of second pregnancy has reminded Anne Welsh to stay focus on her commitments to break the stigma for individual living with Sickle cell around the world especially in sub-Saharan Africa where the disease is common. Some photos below;

http://www.lailasblog.com/anne-welsh-talks-baby-sickle-cell/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by iMUMUweh(m): 8:59pm On Aug 02, 2017
shocked

lies!

she's not a sickle cell survivor!

her dad used her for rituals

shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by olutee360: 10:20pm On Aug 02, 2017
lipsrsealed
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by dhope001(m): 10:20pm On Aug 02, 2017
Only God does that

15 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by ERCROSS(m): 10:20pm On Aug 02, 2017
The number of diseases, illnesses and medical Conditions on earth is overwhelming. Just give thanks to whatever you believe in for the gift of good health..
in other news
I'm Just One Step Away From Being Rich, All I Need Now Is Money

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by brunofarad(m): 10:20pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked

Are you always this annoying

Or is today a special day in ur wanking career undecided

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by itiswellandwell: 10:21pm On Aug 02, 2017
Eku ewu omo ooo !! Olorun awo, Olorun ada si oooo !!!

Check my signature for ongoing promo on our full capacity powerbank.

3 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by lakesidey(m): 10:21pm On Aug 02, 2017
K
Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by NwaAmaikpe: 10:22pm On Aug 02, 2017
shocked

I honestly respect people wey get the mind to knack sickler.

I've tried it once.
Bad thing the girl was also asthmatic.

I was doing rebete on top of her,
Then her moans turned to groans
Then growls
Then it dawned on me this was not sounds of enjoyment but the pangs of death gripping the Nwaada.

Nwanne, I didn't know when my preek went limp
I started speaking in tongues and sat her upright using my chest to support her.
In the midst of my speaking in tongues, I was quickly calculating how to dispose the body if she died.
God saved me!

Before the break of dawn sef, I had discharged her to go with her problems.
Since then, once you tell me you are a sickler or asthmatic, I make Usain Bolt look like a learner.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by Evablizin(f): 10:23pm On Aug 02, 2017
Wow wow wow,thank God for your courage,there is possiblity in impossiblity

pls Aunty Anne no vex ooo where is your husband you did'nt mention anything about him,i'm seeing doctors alone.

1 Like

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by elantraceey(f): 10:23pm On Aug 02, 2017
Congratulations dear..... keep enjoying life smiley

1 Like

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by Lloydfolarin: 10:24pm On Aug 02, 2017
Hey Fam

There is nothing like a sick cell survival you know...

You can survive it until age of 40 and the next minute, Bang! That's it.

I had a girlfriend from Ondo town in Ondo state who was a sick cell, we all thought she has survived it at about 34 years of age but to the surprise of everybody, she died as a result of sick cell when it was least expected.

However, i prayed the story of this lady ll be different from others. Amen!

2 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by philo04(m): 10:24pm On Aug 02, 2017
see machine .....she for come born for Nigeria nah.. you go hear "madam push nah or the pikin go just die "

2 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by ehemwhy(m): 10:25pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked

ARE YOU WELL ?

9 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by salford1: 10:25pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked
are you alright

7 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by macfranklin(m): 10:26pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked

Sense fall on you...

7 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by abdulhosni619(m): 10:27pm On Aug 02, 2017
If there is God and money... Wahala no go dey nah

1 Like

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by Travelking: 10:27pm On Aug 02, 2017
Wonderful
Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by jamesbridget13(f): 10:28pm On Aug 02, 2017
Health is wealth indeed.

2 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by tycoon3(m): 10:30pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked
Na u dem go use wey go make Buhari well cool cool cool
#Idiot

1 Like

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by Sterope(f): 10:46pm On Aug 02, 2017
AhluSunnah

Is this not what you and that evil man called Jabata are clamouring for?

“People don’t understand the degree of the pains that we go through. The pain we experience is far worse than labour pain. At times the pain is so severe that the drugs they give would not even reduce it. I have had my finger slammed on a car door before and it got broken. People were wondering that I was not crying to show it pained me but I made them realise that the pain as an SCD patient is worse. Such pains don’t affect me as much as when I have crisis. The pains are always in the extreme.”

Aside from the physical pains she suffered, she added that her education also suffered serious setback because of the crisis

2 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by Mdaz(m): 10:58pm On Aug 02, 2017
philo04:
see machine .....she for come born for Nigeria nah.. you go hear "madam push nah or the pikin go just die "

Hmmmmmm
Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by Dyt(f): 10:59pm On Aug 02, 2017
A survivor
A great warrior
May God lay His healing hands on warriors

5 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by irishMO123(m): 11:11pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked
you mumu like your name reads

2 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by fafambo: 11:25pm On Aug 02, 2017
Evablizin:
Wow wow wow,thank God for your courage,there is possiblity in impossiblity

pls Aunty Anne no vex ooo where is your husband you did'nt mention anything about him,i'm seeing doctors alone.
WOW! WOW!! WOW!!! NNE I BU AMBULANCE?

2 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by kolima1067(m): 11:45pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked
The witches for ur village neva stop to dey follow u?

1 Like

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by fuckingAyaya(m): 11:54pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

lies!

shocked

2 Likes

Re: Anne Welsh Welcomes 2nd Child After Surviving Sick Cell by jaxxy(m): 11:54pm On Aug 02, 2017
Is sickle cell just a black mans disease or an African mans disease?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Alternative Cure For Hepatitis B / Dog Tests Positive For Coronavirus In Hong Kong / Chinelo Chidozie And Ndidi Obidoa Develop Sunscreen Cream For Black Skin (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.