Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,862 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. (4452 Views)

How Religion Draws People Back. / A Heart-rending Narrative On How Religion Destroyed 'an Ideal Family' / How Wisdom Brings Greatness Vs How Religion Brings Foolishness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by MostHated: 9:13am On Aug 03, 2017
So I came across this piece. Looks strangely very true to me. What do you guys think?

A group of scientists placed 5 monkeys in a cage and placed in the middle, a ladder with bananas on the top.

Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water, which they hated.

After a while, every time a monkey went up the ladder, the others beat up the one on the ladder so they wouldn't get soaked with water.

After some time, no monkey dared to go up the ladder regardless of the temptation for the fear of being beaten.

The Scientists then decided to substitute one of the monkeys and bring in a new monkey. The 1st thing this new monkey did was to go up the ladder to get the banana. Immediately the other monkeys beat him up.

After several beatings, the new member learned not to climb the ladder even though he never knew why.

A 2nd monkey from d original ones was substituted and a new monkey brought in. the same thing occurred. He climbed to get the banana. The 1st new monkey that was earlier beaten for trying to get the bananas, participated in the beating of the 2nd new monkey even though he didn't know why he was beating the new one. He did so because others were doing same.

A 3rd monkey was changed and the same was repeated (beating).

The 4th was substituted and the beating was repeated.

Finally, the 5th monkey was replaced.

What was left was a group of 5 monkeys that even though never received a cold shower, continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder.

If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they would beat up all those who attempted to go up the ladder ... I bet you the answer would be ... "I don't know — that's how things are done around here"

DO their actions LOOK familiar?

Source-
https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/6828/was-the-experiment-with-five-monkeys-a-ladder-a-banana-and-a-water-spray-condu

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by wahles(m): 9:28am On Aug 03, 2017
Ok
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by onetrack(m): 9:30am On Aug 03, 2017
Yes that's a good psychological analogy. It's how taboos are created. Also another factor in religion is people wanting to understand how things actually work. If they cannot explain something logically (rain, for example), then they will resort to supernatural explanations.

9 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 9:36am On Aug 03, 2017
MostHated:
So I came across this piece. Looks strangely very true to me. What do you guys think?

A group of scientists placed 5 monkeys in a cage and placed in the middle, a ladder with bananas on the top.

Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water, which they hated.

After a while, every time a monkey went up the ladder, the others beat up the one on the ladder so they wouldn't get soaked with water.

After some time, no monkey dared to go up the ladder regardless of the temptation for the fear of being beaten.

The Scientists then decided to substitute one of the monkeys and bring in a new monkey. The 1st thing this new monkey did was to go up the ladder to get the banana. Immediately the other monkeys beat him up.

After several beatings, the new member learned not to climb the ladder even though he never knew why.

A 2nd monkey from d original ones was substituted and a new monkey brought in. the same thing occurred. He climbed to get the banana. The 1st new monkey that was earlier beaten for trying to get the bananas, participated in the beating of the 2nd new monkey even though he didn't know why he was beating the new one. He did so because others were doing same.

A 3rd monkey was changed and the same was repeated (beating).

The 4th was substituted and the beating was repeated.

Finally, the 5th monkey was replaced.

What was left was a group of 5 monkeys that even though never received a cold shower, continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder.

If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they would beat up all those who attempted to go up the ladder ... I bet you the answer would be ... "I don't know — that's how things are done around here"

Does their actions sound familiar?

Source-
https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/6828/was-the-experiment-with-five-monkeys-a-ladder-a-banana-and-a-water-spray-condu

For someone who copied word for word from that website and only added the last sentence "Does their actions sound familiar?" Yet did not know that it should have been DO instead of DOES and it should also have been LOOK instead of SOUND since you are talking about actions and not words so it should have been DO THEIR ACTIONS LOOK FAMILIAR?

based on my written observation I could say that your conclusion was arrived at due to either illiteracy or an inability to comprehend issues based on a deliberate hatred for Religion.

Hate does blind one from reality of their own flaws such as I have pointed out here.

3 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 9:47am On Aug 03, 2017
^ Our British Surgeon strikes again grin

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 9:57am On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

That feeble attempt at understanding applied up there is applicable to anything and is even more so applicable to atheism as well wouldn't you agree?
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 10:04am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

That feeble attempt at understanding applied up there is applicable to anything and is even more so applicable to atheism as well wouldn't you agree?

I'm yet to meet an indoctrinated atheist but indoctrinated theists are everywhere, infact religion (especially the Abrahamic religions) endorses and mandates indoctrination
It is unintentional child abuse.
Parents are themselves indoctrinated and have been terrorized by the notion of eternal suffering if they do not believe. And parents love their children and want them to be "saved". So they rush to soak them with all these ideas that are not even fit for kids, to ensure that sticks with them all through adulthood. Instead of giving them the choice to explore and decide on their own.

7 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by adepeter2027(m): 10:05am On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
While she's he's the father of plagiarism. Copying articles without referencing.

cheesy grin
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 10:09am On Aug 03, 2017
adepeter2027:

While she's he's the father of plagiarism. Copying articles without referencing.

cheesy grin

grin
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by TheSonOfJesus: 10:22am On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I'm yet to meet an indoctrinated atheist but indoctrinated theists are everywhere, infact religion (especially the Abrahamic religions) endorses and mandates indoctrination
Parents are themselves indoctrinated and have been terrorized by the notion of eternal suffering if they do not believe. And parents love their children and want them to be "saved". So they rush to soak them with all these ideas that are not even fit for kids, to ensure that sticks with them all through adulthood. Instead of giving them the choice to explore and decide on their own.

we should always indoctrinate our children with Christianity and not spare the rod in the process if the child is being strong headed, we should beat Christianity into them as The Holy Bible said the kingdom of God is violent and the violent take it by force, no Christian wants his/her child to end up like you, Hellbound and blasphemous

I shall watch from heaven while you roast forever and I'll laugh gleefully at your predicament, you and your offsprings unless they repent and accept my father as their Lord and personal saviour

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by LiberaDeus: 10:29am On Aug 03, 2017
TheSonOfJesus:

we should always indoctrinate our children with Christianity and not spare the rod in the process if the child is being strong headed, we should beat Christianity into them as The Holy Bible said the kingdom of God is violent and the violent take it by force, no Christian wants his/her child to end up like you, Hellbound and blasphemous

I shall watch from heaven while you roast forever and I'll laugh gleefully at your predicament, you and your offsprings unless they repent and accept my father as their Lord and personal saviour

Aaronsrod is that you?

This smells like you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 10:30am On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

If I teach my kid how to properly scrub behind her ears while taking a bath and to always brush her teeth morning and night would you call that indoctrination?

If I teach my kid how to always be respectful to those older than she is would that be termed as indoctrination?

If I teach my kid the nobility in education and always being a positively exemplary person would that be termed as indoctrination?

If I teach my kid how to always be generous and help those in need even when she may not have e enough for herself would that be indoctrination?

If I teach my kid how not to cheat or finagle her way into relevance in the society would that be indoctrination?

If I teach my kid how to love and live to love rather than hate would that be termed as indoctrination?

Please can you tell me which of these listed above is CHILD ABUSE?

When did positive living and teaching positive living become Child Abuse? Do you even know what Child Abuse is?

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 10:34am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

If I teach my kid how to properly scrub behind her ears while taking a bath and to always brush her teeth morning and night would you call that indoctrination?

If I teach my kid how to always be respectful to those older than she is would that be termed as indoctrination?

If I teach my kid the nobility in education and always being a positively exemplary person would that be termed as indoctrination?

If I teach my kid how to always be generous and help those in need even when she may not have e enough for herself would that be indoctrination?

If I teach my kid how not to cheat or finagle her way into relevance in the society would that be indoctrination?

If I teach my kid how to love and live to love rather than hate would that be termed as indoctrination?

When did positive living and teaching positive living become Child Abuse? Do you even know what Child Abuse is?

That might be okay. But teaching your children that God killed the whole world because they were all evil except for Noah and his family. Or that he hates homsexuals that is why he obliterated Sodom and Gomorrah. or that its okay to marry 9yo and love slavery. or they'll come back as animals etc.

Generally religious instruction is dangerous and manipulative, there might be some outdated morals taught but for the most part religion teaches, stupidity, narrow -mindedness, intolerance and bigotry and the teaching of it to children could even be regarded as being morally akin to deliberately exposing a child to HIV.

Teaching your children to be fearful of snakes or things that may harm them is perfectly reasonable, because it is based on experience and evidence which can be validated. Teaching your children to be fearful of something for which there is no experience or evidence and which cannot be validated is just plain child abuse.

If something cannot be detected by sensory perception or instrumentation, then in what sense is evidence present? Information provided by our senses or instrumentation is necessary to claim that we have evidence.

No has been to hell or heaven and come back again to tell that Jesus, Mohammed, Vishnu, Krishna, Obatala, devil etc are real and alive. Where is hell? Where is heaven? Where is God? Where is the devil? It does not make any sense to preach the fear gospel to children because how can you fear something that is not real.

Kids play pretend games all the time. That is ok. But they are not real and they know that. Pretending adds spice to life. Imagination is one of the greatest assets that a human has. But the religion is not pretend and it is presented and believed as being real and not a figment of ones imagination. Unlike Superman, and Batman and Santa etc

6 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by JackBizzle: 10:45am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

For someone who copied word for word from that website and only added the last sentence "Does their actions sound familiar?" Yet did not know that it should have been DO instead of DOES and it should also have been LOOK instead of SOUND since you are talking about actions and not words so it should have been DO THEIR ACTIONS LOOK FAMILIAR?

based on my written observation I could say that your conclusion was arrived at due to either illiteracy or an inability to comprehend issues based on a deliberate hatred for Religion.

Hate does blind one from reality of their own flaws such as I have pointed out here.

So you have turned to a grammar Nazi such that you don't even bother to address the point in someone's comments but rather judge the use of English?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 10:47am On Aug 03, 2017
JackBizzle:

So you have turned to a grammar Nazi such that you don't even bother to address the point in someone's comments but rather judge the use of English?

put some respeck on it, you're talking to a British brain surgeon, ambulance rider, traumatologist, pharmacist and about 100 other specialties FFS

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by JackBizzle: 10:47am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

Indoctrination occurs when you teach your child something that is false as gospel truth.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 10:48am On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

That might be okay. But teaching your children that God killed the whole world because they were all evil except for Noah and his family. Or that he hates homsexuals that is why he obliterated Sodom and Gomorrah. etc.

Generally religious instruction is dangerous and manipulative, there might be some outdated morals taught but for the most part religion teaches, stupidity, narrow -mindedness, intolerance and bigotry and the teaching of it to children could even be regarded as being morally akin to deliberately exposing a child to HIV.

Teaching your children to be fearful of snakes or things that may harm them is perfectly reasonable, because it is based on experience and evidence. Teaching your children to be fearful of something for which there is no experience or evidence and which cannot be validated is just plain child abuse.

If something cannot be detected by sensory perception or instrumentation, then in what sense is evidence present? Information provided by our senses or instrumentation is necessary to claim that we have evidence.

No has been to hell or heaven and come back again to tell that Jesus and the devil are real and alive. Where is hell? Where is heaven? Where is God? Where is the devil? It does not make any sense to preach the fear gospel to children because how can you fear something that is not real.

Kids play pretend games all the time. That is ok. But they are not real and they know that. Pretending adds spice to life. Imagination is one of the greatest assets that a human has. But the religion is not pretend and it is presented and believed as being real and not a figment of ones imagination. Unlike Superman, and Batman and Santa etc

When you have your personal opinion about a subject NEVER attempt pushing it on another who does not share your position and assume he or she MUST accept what you say as how they think. THAT IS WRONG!

You See, there is something about religion or Christianity which you obviously failed to understand and believe. NOBODY FORCES ANYTHING ON ANYONE! PEOPLE CHOOSE what to believe according to their level of growth and exposure to the truth in the Word of God revealed to them personally by HIS SPIRIT.

Teaching about hell is not the bases for salvation. The death and resurrection of Jesus and believing in it is!

Telling my kid about Jesus and Santa claus or the Tooth Fairy means nothing to them until they arrive at the age in life when they CHOOSE BY THEMSELVES which is real and which is not BASED ON THEIR OWN PERSONAL FINDINGS AND EXPERIENCES.

When you read or hear about people becoming born again it's based on PERSONAL DECISIONS. some of them heard this message of Jesus maybe 10 years ago but still 10 years later ended up believing. Not everyone became born again by going to church and constantly being told the word of God! Many never had such experiences. Many were not born into Christian families. Many never grew up with Christian books in their libraries.

What you wrote is YOUR PERSONAL IDEA of what THE GOSPEL truly is. GOSPEL means GOOD NEWS so when you say we preach the FEAR GOSPEL it means you do not even know what you are saying. FEAR and GOOD NEWS (GOSPEL) cannot be used in one sentence.

You are the one trying to manipulate religion to fit your personal opinion when it's rather simple and joy based.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 10:51am On Aug 03, 2017
JackBizzle:

Jackfizzle when someone cannot see how use of grammar can affect communication then it raises questions about their level of assimilation. I guess it wouldn't bother you much since you also suffer from assimilation so I guess you are showing support for a colleague.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by DoctorAlien(m): 10:55am On Aug 03, 2017
This analogy has been around for some time now, but the OP simply regurgitated it, without telling us what it has to do with religion.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by JackBizzle: 10:55am On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

put some respeck on it, you're talking to a British brain surgeon, ambulance rider, traumatologist, pharmacist and about 100 other specialties FFS

A Birdman reference?

But seriously, you havent even mentioned half of her qualifications
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by JackBizzle: 10:57am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

Jackfizzle when someone cannot see how use of grammar can affect communication then it raises questions about their level of assimilation. I guess it wouldn't bother you much since you also suffer from assimilation so I guess you are showing support for a colleague.

What matters is the message.

Some of the most profound comments I have heard were spoken in broken English.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 11:01am On Aug 03, 2017
JackBizzle:

What matters is the message.

Some of the most profound comments I have heard were spoken in broken English.

That figures!
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by chemystery: 11:05am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

no choice but to clutch on straws. Why not go to education section and show yourself? It is DOES by the way. But I wont count that on you. English is not our mother tongue and not a yardstick to judge one's intelligence. I do make mistakes even in my local language. The most important thing is to communicate which he did flawlessly and effectively.

2 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 11:11am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

When you have your personal opinion about a subject NEVER attempt pushing it on another who does not share your position and assume he or she MUST accept what you say as how they think. THAT IS WRONG!

You See, there is something about religion or Christianity which you obviously failed to understand and believe. NOBODY FORCES ANYTHING ON ANYONE! PEOPLE CHOOSE what to believe according to their level of growth and exposure to the truth in the Word of God revealed to them personally by HIS SPIRIT.

Teaching about hell is not the bases for salvation. The death and resurrection of Jesus and believing in it is!

Telling my kid about Jesus and Santa claus or the Tooth Fairy means nothing to them until they arrive at the age in life when they CHOOSE BY THEMSELVES which is real and which is not BASED ON THEIR OWN PERSONAL FINDINGS AND EXPERIENCES.

When you read or hear about people becoming born again it's based on PERSONAL DECISIONS. some of them heard this message of Jesus maybe 10 years ago but still 10 years later ended up believing. Not everyone became born again by going to church and constantly being told the word of God! Many never had such experiences. Many were not born into Christian families. Many never grew up with Christian books in their libraries.

What you wrote is YOUR PERSONAL IDEA of what THE GOSPEL truly is. GOSPEL means GOOD NEWS so when you say we preach the FEAR GOSPEL it means you do not even know what you are saying. FEAR and GOOD NEWS (GOSPEL) cannot be used in one sentence.

You are the one trying to manipulate religion to fit your personal opinion when it's rather simple and joy based.

sermon starts, as expected; you've quickly dropped your "brushing teeth" analogy

I absolutely disagree that its a PERSONAL DECISION judging by the fact that most children end up living and dying as adherents of whichever religion their parents are in, that is the most telling effect of indoctrination; you might try to pull some fancy words here but I'm not manipulating anything, I'm simply saying it as it is, yeah, there are exceptions but that's what they are, "exceptions"

I have pointed out many times, the vast majority of believers follow their faith simply because of where they were born and raised (indoctrinated). A look at any world religions demographic map makes that obvious. If most of the people who had a positive influence over a child's life were of a certain religion, that child would want to emulate them, and maybe would be convinced that their religion is part of the reason they appeal to him/her and were a positive influence in their life. The child is at the core an emotional, trusting and dependent being that accepts that which it is told when young and then all subsequent knowledge is layered and fused, laminated into a ever stronger and more rigid bar as the child matures.

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 11:12am On Aug 03, 2017
chemystery:
no choice but to clutch on straws. Why not go to education section and show yourself? It is DOES by the way. But I wont count that on you. English is not our mother tongue and not a yardstick to judge one's intelligence. I do make mistakes even in my local language. The most important thing is to communicate which he did flawlessly and effectively.

It is DO and not DOES. We learn everyday.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 11:20am On Aug 03, 2017
JackBizzle:

A Birdman reference?

But seriously, you havent even mentioned half of her qualifications

its impossible when those qualifications keep increasing exponentially by the day, it's like a programming book that becomes obsolete the Moment its printed

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 11:20am On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

sermon starts, as expected; you've quickly dropped your "brushing teeth" analogy

I absolutely disagree that its a PERSONAL DECISION judging by the fact that most children end up living and dying as adherents of whichever religion their parents are in, that is the most telling effect of indoctrination; you might try to pull some fancy words here but I'm not manipulating anything, I'm simply saying it as it is

I have pointed out many times, the vast majority of believers follow their faith simply because of where they were born and raised (indoctrinated). A look at any world religions demographic map makes that obvious. If most of the people who had a positive influence over a child's life were of a certain religion, that child would want to emulate them, and maybe would be convinced that their religion is part of the reason they appeal to him/her and were a positive influence in their life. The child is at the core an emotional, trusting and dependent being that accepts that which it is told when young and then all subsequent knowledge is layered and fused, laminated into a ever stronger and more rigid bar as the child matures.

So the Child is a dependent being right? I wonder why? Should I then deprive my child of her much needed parental dependence and guide in what I LOVINGLY know as THE RIGHT DIRECTION?

shouldn't you rather be asking why my child was not born with an already inherent INDEPENDENT SPIRIT?

why the repeated cycle of BIRTH, DEPENDENCY, MATURITY THEN BIRTH AGAIN, DEPENDENCY, MATURITY.... etc.

Isn't there a lesson to be learnt in there somewhere? If such a trait was meant to be a disadvantage in us wouldn't you think that genetically we would have mutated that away?

Do you see such traits of dependency only in humans? Would you call those teachings being carried out by animals and insects on their offspring also indoctrination?
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by MostHated: 11:24am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

Fixed. Thanks for the correction.

BTW, maybe if you had cared to take a look at the website, then you'ld have noticed that it actually wasn't copied "word for word".
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Ranchhoddas: 11:24am On Aug 03, 2017
DoctorAlien:
This analogy has been around for some time now, but the OP simply regurgitated it, without telling us what it has to do with religion.
This is the first time I'm seeing this analogy I get the gist.
If you've been seeing it for a while and still do not get it then it means that you'll never get it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by edicied: 11:31am On Aug 03, 2017
adepeter2027:

cheesy grin
And you know who else does that 4evergod accusing people of what he is the master of grin
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 11:33am On Aug 03, 2017
MostHated:

Fixed. Thanks for the correction.

BTW, maybe if you had cared to take a look at the website, then you'ld have noticed that it actually wasn't copied "word for word".

Good thing you took correction unlike a certain chemystery who still insisted it was DOES and not DO.

I did read the website.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by chemystery: 11:34am On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

It is DO and not DOES. We learn everyday.
All possessive pronouns apply DOES

DOES My
DOES Your
DOES Their
DOES His/Her

Well, let's face the topic and not derail the thread anymore

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Christians, come in for a dialogue / Jesus Son Of Man ? {let The Bible Speak} / Did The Quran Really Promise 72 Virgins For Jihadists When They Die?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.