Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. (4475 Views)

How Religion Draws People Back. / A Heart-rending Narrative On How Religion Destroyed 'an Ideal Family' / How Wisdom Brings Greatness Vs How Religion Brings Foolishness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Aaronsrod: 4:22pm On Aug 03, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Aaronsrod is that you?

This smells like you

Not me. I've moved on since yesterday. My work here is done...
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2017
Aaronsrod:

are you also Aaronson?
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Aaronsrod: 4:39pm On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

are you also Aaronson?

No. Don't know who that one is. One alter ego is enough for me.

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by LiberaDeus: 4:58pm On Aug 03, 2017
Aaronsrod:

Yea right.

Well you mimicked a monster and now a real monster is here.

Religious section please welcome SonOfJesus - the latest fundamentalist, evangelical, bigoted soldier of christ.

Note: Aaronsrod you aint fooling me. I know its you behind the mask. Enjoy your ride
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by chemystery: 5:14pm On Aug 03, 2017
spacetacular:

Can you show me the correction you gave to me and my error? When did stating an observation require a correction when the one being observed had repeatedly shown the observation as true?

Maybe in your part of the world observations are termed as insults but where I am they are not! People take them, learn, improve/change and try not to have such observations made of them again.
if you are confident enough to insult someone why can't you be proud to accept it than hiding under the guise of "observation"? People like you will call someone fool, idiot, slowpoke, retard, etc and call it observation. Any form of insult or ad hominem can be labelled as observation or which ever name you want to call it. I'm not perturbed anyway, each time I see ad hominem I don't see insult but an egocentric way of backing out or accepting defeat.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by spacetacular(f): 5:27pm On Aug 03, 2017
chemystery:
if you are confident enough to insult someone why can't you be proud to accept it than hiding under the guise of "observation"? People like you will call someone fool, idiot, slowpoke, retard, etc and call it observation. Any form of insult or ad hominem can be labelled as observation or which ever name you want to call it. I'm not perturbed anyway, each time I see ad hominem I don't see insult but an egocentric way of backing out or accepting defeat.

Are you sure you are alright? If I say you talk stupid or I ask you to shut up did I insult you by saying that? If I say your comment was either as a result of illiteracy or a lack of assimilation how did that become an insult? I have to ask again if you are alright.

If you have a personal complex then deal with it. Do not misconstrue harmless comments as harmful. You made an obvious uninformed error and I corrected you and you insisted on being correct even when you knew you were wrong and you now say I insulted you when I made my observation?

Well you are lucky I did not also say you were stiff necked or would you also term that as an insult If I did?
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by frank317: 5:57pm On Aug 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

put some respeck on it, you're talking to a British brain surgeon, ambulance rider, traumatologist, pharmacist and about 100 other specialties FFS

Add English lecturer to the list. The bad news is that she cannot even write a single word or sentence in the OP's mother tongue yet she expects him to be perfect in speaking and writing in foreign language just because it is called English.

Well I have noticed that she always does that when she cannot really address or present a reasonable opinion as regards the issue at hand.

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by chemystery: 6:23pm On Aug 03, 2017
adepeter2027:

Lol

You're chatting to an oldie of NL.
Lol grin
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 03, 2017
Seun:

Do you think muslim parents should beat Islam into their children if their children want to become Christians after hearing the gospel of Jesus?
The post you quoted was quite disturbing. I had to read it again to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. The poster failed to realize that indoctrination of children just turns them into gullible adults who are constantly in a state of paranoia/fear that something terrible will happen to them- thus making them easy targets of manipulation. And that's actually how most adults in Nigeria are right now. Always scared of some imaginary enemy. If you have no reason to believe what you believe, then honestly, you can belece anything.

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by ValentineMary(m): 11:11pm On Aug 03, 2017
TheSonOfJesus:

we should always indoctrinate our children with Christianity and not spare the rod in the process if the child is being strong headed, we should beat Christianity into them as The Holy Bible said the kingdom of God is violent and the violent take it by force, no Christian wants his/her child to end up like you, Hellbound and blasphemous

I shall watch from heaven while you roast forever and I'll laugh gleefully at your predicament, you and your offsprings unless they repent and accept my father as their Lord and personal saviour
Ur words are so encouraging. U just converted a soul. Asshole

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Seun(m): 12:56pm On Aug 04, 2017
TheSonOfJesus:
Islam is the religion of the devil, you're either a Christian or a satanist, there's no middle ground anywhere, that's why its right to beat Christianity into children but wrong to do that about other religion because they're all wrong

There's only one God and that's my father, come to him or burn alongside Muslims, their Mohammed and your god called Satan
A muslim would say that modern Christianity is a product of Shaytan. That you're either a muslim or Shaytanist; no middle ground. That it's right to beat Islam into children but wrong to do that for other religions because they're all wrong. How can I find out which of you is right?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by DangotePikin: 2:23pm On Aug 04, 2017
Seun:

A muslim would say that modern Christianity is a product of Shaytan. That you're either a muslim or Shaytanaist; no middle ground. That it's right to beat Islam into children but wrong to do that for other religions because they're all wrong. How can I find out which of you is right?
Christianity predates Islam isn't that enough evidence of which is more genuine? I'm sure if you should ask an independent historian to examine the evidence of both Christians and Muslims, he would say Christianity is more factual. Jesus was born years before Muhammad.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by budaatum: 4:40pm On Aug 04, 2017
DangotePikin:
Christianity predates Islam isn't that enough evidence of which is more genuine? I'm sure if you should ask an independent historian to examine the evidence of both Christians and Muslims, he would say Christianity is more factual. Jesus was born years before Muhammad.
On that basis, Zeus and Osiris, to chose a couple, would be more valid gods as they both predate YHWH.

As to the ops question, I indoctrinate my child. I tell it 2 naira plus 2 naira is equal to 4 naira without saying why. I wouldn't want it to think otherwise!

2 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Omoluabi16(m): 7:47pm On Aug 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
^ Our British Surgeon strikes again grin
you are just deluded. honestly, I pity you..for you wallow in ignorance. You lack conviction in your unbelief, hence you engage in this mockery to feel better about your self.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 11:35pm On Aug 04, 2017
Omoluabi16:
you are just deluded. honestly, I pity you..for you wallow in ignorance. You lack conviction in your unbelief, hence you engage in this mockery to feel better about your self.

we've got a mindreader here

1 Like

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Martinez19(m): 12:37am On Aug 05, 2017
spacetacular:

For someone who copied word for word from that website and only added the last sentence "Does their actions sound familiar?" Yet did not know that it should have been DO instead of DOES and it should also have been LOOK instead of SOUND since you are talking about actions and not words so it should have been DO THEIR ACTIONS LOOK FAMILIAR?

based on my written observation I could say that your conclusion was arrived at due to either illiteracy or an inability to comprehend issues based on a deliberate hatred for Religion.

Hate does blind one from reality of their own flaws such as I have pointed out here.

off point.

3 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 2:07pm On Aug 05, 2017
AnonyNymous:

The post you quoted was quite disturbing. I had to read it again to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. The poster failed to realize that indoctrination of children just turns them into gullible adults who are constantly in a state of paranoia/fear that something terrible will happen to them- thus making them easy targets of manipulation. And that's actually how most adults in Nigeria are right now. Always scared of some imaginary enemy. If you have no reason to believe what you believe, then honestly, you can belece anything.
agreed!
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by UyiIredi(m): 3:34pm On Aug 05, 2017
True talk. But this can apply to any belief or lack of as it does religion. Atheists do not see that.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 3:37pm On Aug 05, 2017
UyiIredi:
True talk. But this can apply to any belief or lack of as it does religion. Atheists do not see that.

I'm curious, how do you indoctrinate someone with atheism? I understand irreligion but atheism? how?

pls, I'm not having a go at you, just curious
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by UyiIredi(m): 4:08pm On Aug 05, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I'm curious, how do you indoctrinate someone with atheism? I understand irreligion but atheism? how?

pls, I'm not having a go at you, just curious

By isolating them from religious traditions. By specifically preaching atheism and criticizing religions on a larger scale as the Communists did.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by UyiIredi(m): 4:10pm On Aug 05, 2017
DangotePikin:

And pagans existed before Christianity. You should worship Ifa. They were around before Christianity came here.

2 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Seun(m): 8:36pm On Aug 05, 2017
DangotePikin:
Christianity predates Islam isn't that enough evidence of which is more genuine? ... Jesus was born years before Muhammad.
A Hindu following our discussion would inform you that Hinduism is older than Christianity. Would you accept that as evidence that Hinduism is more genuine than Christianity? If not, why not?

I'm sure if you should ask an independent historian to examine the evidence of both Christians and Muslims, he would say Christianity is more factual.
What makes you so sure of this?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by JackBizzle: 8:48pm On Aug 05, 2017
UyiIredi:

By isolating them from religious traditions. By specifically preaching atheism and criticizing religions on a larger scale as the Communists did.

Criticizing religion is not atheism.

Being anti religious is not atheism.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Seun(m): 8:53pm On Aug 05, 2017
UyiIredi:
By isolating them from religious traditions. By specifically preaching atheism and criticizing religions on a larger scale
Parents are expected to teach their children what they honestly consider to be the truth. So there's nothing wrong with telling children about the numerous problems with religion, or preaching Jesus to them. What we are speaking against is trying to force children to believe as you do. If you fail to persuade your children to adopt your religious position, you should not resort to violence, which is what was actually bad about the communists. Persuasion is good, but coercion is bad. Don't mix them up!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by frank317: 8:58pm On Aug 05, 2017
UyiIredi:

Atheists reject indoctrination, how is that indoctrination in itself? Would u rather people don't just object what does not make sense to them?

Would u say deism is also indoctrination?
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by UyiIredi(m): 8:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
Seun:

Parents are expected to teach their children what they honestly consider to be the truth. So there's nothing wrong with telling children about the numerous problems with religion, or preaching Jesus to them. What we are speaking against is trying to force children to believe as you do. If you fail to persuade your children to adopt your religious position, you should not resort to violence, which is what was actually bad about the communists. Persuasion is good, but coercion is bad. Don't mix them up!

Agreed. Some atheist and deist parents could be coercive though, agree?
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by Seun(m): 5:20pm On Aug 07, 2017
UyiIredi:
Agreed. Some atheist and deist parents could be coercive though, agree?
Yes, but the fraction of atheist or deists parents who are coercive is probably lower because we're not mandated to impose our beliefs on kids.

2 Likes

Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by UyiIredi(m): 9:48pm On Aug 07, 2017
Seun:

Yes, but the fraction of atheist or deists parents who are coercive is probably lower because we're not mandated to impose our beliefs on kids.

I agree.
Re: How Religion Works; The Psychology Behind It. by hopefulLandlord: 7:08pm On Oct 04, 2017
frank317:

Atheists reject indoctrination, how is that indoctrination in itself? Would u rather people don't just object what does not make sense to them?

Would u say deism is also indoctrination?

so true

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is A Pastor Looking For In Hilda Baci's Room? / How To Pray According To The Bible / Why Do Religious People Fight Science?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.