Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

History Of Ika People(umunede) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Ika People(umunede) (27538 Views)

The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni / Ika People / The Ika People{igbanke}. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by agbotaen: 5:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
you are an igbo fool , the family name of dein of agbor is igbenoba , is that an igbo name , full names keagborekuzi , son of obi ikenchuku gbenoba , whose father was aigbobu , so the full name will be keagborekuzi gbenoba

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
agbotaen: you are an igbo fool , the family name of dein of agbor is igbenoba , is that an igbo name , full names keagborekuzi , son of obi ikenchuku gbenoba , whose father was aigbobu , so the full name will be keagborekuzi gbenoba

What does Keagborekuzi mean? I do know the meaning cause its Igbo but i want you to tell me more lies.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by demmie1: 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

What does Keagborekuzi mean? I do know the meaning cause its Igbo but i want you to tell me more lies.

Tell us if you know it, stop being a fool.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by pazienza(m): 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2013
agbotaen: you are an igbo fool , the family name of dein of agbor is igbenoba , is that an igbo name , full names keagborekuzi , son of obi ikenchuku gbenoba , whose father was aigbobu , so the full name will be keagborekuzi gbenoba

Shut up. Why and how anioma groups,even yoruboid ones like ugbodu,had ancestors with edo names had long been tackled by Ogbuefi,and i had re-echoed them in the delta igbo thread. Stop repeating same crap over and over again,nobody will be swayed by them.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by pazienza(m): 9:03pm On Feb 24, 2013
Keagborekuzi, keagbogeekwuzi,kedu ihe agbo ga ekwuzi, ole ihe agbor ga-ekwuzi. 'What will agbor say'.

Same thing,the only difference there is dialetical,which varies from one igbo tribe to another.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by agbotaen: 7:23pm On May 09, 2013
igbos never cease to amaze , me , this ika people have told your fathers that they are not igbo , and that they are ika and even umunede was a base for the nigeria army to chase your igbo fathers away from ika land , yet you will not rest , have you ever seen the obi of umunede in your igbo meetings, the answer is no , ika people in their majority will never be igbo , its like going back , but if igbos want to be ika , they are welcome, as your brand of ethnicity is not marketable for majority of ika people but , i guess you can sell it to ogbuefi and some igbodo people and ekwuoma people ,some of whose fathers came from igboland and because of their nearness to igbo cultural areas, that is good for them, but the truth is that this are the two least area with population in ikaland ,,but please did you hear that the entire igbodo kingdom almost chased away their obi for marying an igbo woman ? infact they chased the woman out of thier palace, and that shows that even in igbodo where your igbo defender ogbuefi comes from they know the difference between an ika woman and an igbo woman .\
ika people today bear both igbo and edo names, some bear both , while some bear all edo names , but the point is that the edo names is usually the surname of the average ika man, even if an ika man is today okafor okafor, when you go back to his grand father and great grand father you will end up with an edo name,but we are ika ethnic nationality and that is why majority of our people avoid any igbo group like a plague , we do not want distortion , as ogua/onu ika is the umbrella body for ika ethnic group , we are not member of ohaneze and igbos cannot speak for ika , i will advice the average igbo man to reflect on what happened to them in ika land during the war , and it will happen again as ikas will never follow igbos.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Ojiofor: 10:51pm On May 09, 2013
Nigeria army also chased away Biafran soldiers from Asaba Enugu,Onicha,Aba and rest of Igboland and established military bases there.my friend ur logic is too weak.
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by agbotaen: 5:08pm On Dec 14, 2013
the difference is that the people in asaba and the areas you mentioned fought and supported biafra 100 percent because they say they are igbo , while ika fully rejected being igbo and majority assisted the nigerian army to chase away the biafrans , so that is the difference .
2. when asaba and environs were massacred by the nigerian army , the ika people were not massacred , so can you see the difference now and if you dont know the history , please ask your igbo relatives that are alive then , olodo

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by peezle: 8:15pm On Dec 14, 2013
sonya4all: I wonder what else u guys need 2 convince u that we can never be igbos.U r not ika am an ika citizen and ill tell u categorically.Owa oyibu in ika south lga for instance when they speak their unaldulterated ika,u will nt hear a single igbo word.Okay oza nogogo is in ika but their language is like that of latin.No need of much talk.Even if we were finally found 2 be igbos the ikas dnt like 2 be called igbos.Dodo gbani hiam ni eye le ndigbome.Dats an ika sentence meaning pls stop arguing because we are not igbos.Period.U r entitled 2 ur opinions

Sonya you went through all this lenght to give this wonderful history which I really enjoyed...But I must say your thinking faculties are a little backward and rather immature. Why are you breaking arteries all in the bid not to be called Igbo even furnishing us with examples. Food for thought your being Igbo, Ika whatever does not increase petrol value in black market so why does it bother you so and why are you irritating us with your shallow problem. My advice is stick to objectivity and stop being subjective like a sophomore school girl.....*a heart felt advice no hard feelings*
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by olisaokere(m): 2:38pm On Dec 16, 2013
agbotaen: the difference is that the people in asaba and the areas you mentioned fought and supported biafra 100 percent because they say they are igbo , while ika fully rejected being igbo and majority assisted the nigerian army to chase away the biafrans , so that is the difference .
2. when asaba and environs were massacred by the nigerian army , the ika people were not massacred , so can you see the difference now and if you dont know the history , please ask your igbo relatives that are alive then , olodo

You don carry your ika lies and war stories of ika supporting Nigeria during the civil war come here again??Get your fact rights..The bini people where you claim to come from were the ones that exposed lots of the western igbos living in their communities to the Nigerian army and they killed most of the Ikas in the Bini region?did you not hear the storyEwu Ika

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Pharoh: 5:07pm On Dec 17, 2013
Seriously the obsession about Ika and Ndokwa people is getting out of hand, so they have to be followed everywhere on Nairaland now.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by agbotaen: 5:47pm On Dec 19, 2013
bloody igbo lier , which ikas did benin kill ? my father lived in benin during the war and he was not killed , and muritala lived in owa during the war and he did not kill owa/ika people , and ikas did not suffer the genocide that many others suffered , so dont bring your stupid igbo propaganda to ika , let me tell you , biafran troops also killed and murdered many people in ika areas too , just like the nigeria troops also killed some people too , but in ika , it was generally peaceful and our people were solidely behind the nigerian troops , and thats why biafra declared the obi of owa wanted dead or alive , abi you no no?
my friend ika cannever be igbo and will never go along with igbos and ika was never part of your ill fated biafra , as ika is a seperate ethnic group

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Idunobaehis(m): 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
[quote
author=peezle]

Sonya you went through all this lenght to give this wonderful history
which I really enjoyed...But I must say your thinking faculties are a
little backward and rather immature. Why are you breaking arteries all
in the bid not to be called Igbo even furnishing us with examples. Food
for thought your being Igbo, Ika whatever does not increase petrol value
in black market so why does it bother you so and why are you irritating
us with your shallow problem. My advice is stick to objectivity and
stop being subjective like a sophomore school girl.....*a heart felt
advice no hard feelings*[/quote] Why are your brothers breaking arteries just for us to be Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by okunede: 8:40pm On Mar 10, 2015
I  will like to state that the people of eka and  agbor have always guarded their culture with fiercely in the face  of all oppositions , we as eka people know where we come from and we are proud of  our origin , we have a long  history of  kingship  and culture that is why many people will not  let  us be , it is not new for a tribe to have two  or more ancestory , e. g .  take itshekiri  , they have both benin and yoruba ancestory , but that does not make them benin or  yoruba , today , they are know as  itshekiris . but the founding  father of their tribe  was the a benin prince called iginua , son of  oba  olua of benin . we as ika people of agbor and  owa  will not wish to be  drawn into stupid arguements with  those who  do  not know  our history and who do not know  our culture and whose  sole arguements rely on  nearness of  language as a  proof  of where a  people come from , if he  is a historian then he  or she will know that  changes  in language can  occur due to  large  migrations  or trade or due to  other  factors .
please can any one tell me what agbor means in igbo  language ? going back  to  history agbor was  called  ogungunagbon  or agbon , which  means earth in benin language and the british  changed  it to agbor in 1906 . ,most eka founders or founders  of agbon were benin princes and people from ishan land in ancient times and  later other groups  of  migrants came from igbo land  , some from yorubaland  e. t. c .  it will interest you to  note that most  of agbor and  ika culture and traditions came  from benin and edo  areas .  we call  GOD- oselobue , we believe  in ehi as  our guardian spirit as the  benin do, we perfom  festivals  like igue -new year  , ogbanigbe , osi-ezi and  ugboze .  we dress like binis and  maintain  same dances like ojerima, okangan and  uje  like binis .  our traditional gods are same  as theirs  like ovia, uhunmwunde, idigun, olokun   e. t. c  .  we believe  our kings  are devine beings  from the  lineage  of olokun and oselobue .
our  chiefthanct titles are  same as benin , iyase, obasogie, obaseki , ihondor , ihama   , ezomor , ologbosere  et. c .
our  towns  are divided into   ebon (umu), idumu  and  ogbe ,
in agbor there are two  languages spoken  ozara and ika , ozara is edoid  while ika  is a mix  of bini and igbo , each  town has  her  history of  founding fathers and they are well kept, there are still some titles that  if you want to take  in some villages today  in agbor you  must go  to  benin , where the original founder came  from to  collect things and receive  blessings of approval .  it  will  interest you to note that  all  ika and  agbor kings are benin princes and the present dein of agbor is same royal blood family with  the  omonoba of  benin .
but  all  these do  not  make us binis , although in the past we bore benin tribal  marks ,but today  we are eka people  , we  are not  binis or igbos , but we know where most  of our ancestors came from , no proper  ika man  will want to be refered to  as  igbo , but  properly as  ika people . we the ika people share both igbo and  bini  cultures that  is why  we still have igbo names like ngozi , okechukwu  and the  likes , but we still have our benin names too  like  irabor , obaigbena , ovia, osagie  etc. this  is  our heritage and we are proud  of it, looking at  my family history  of about 800  years  i  saw all my ancestors were having benin names  from  omigie, agbontaen, ehiabor, imade, osaigbovou, efeizomor, okundaye  , ebie, ogbe, e. t. c , so  one day  i  asked  my father why and  he told  me that our fore-father was the  son  of a prince from benin,and that  our people from our village in idumu-ezomor were children  of  ezomor the great warrior general from benin who assisted  oba esigie of benin to  quell the  ida war . some times it  is good for people to  consult natives  of a  place and ask them of their history , before the  write  on it. anioma is a big  place , i know the  igbo  language plays  a  part in anioma  history  , but  not all aniomas migrated from igboland and their are  about  11 languages spoken there   like ozara, ika, olokumi ( old yoruba), igalla, aboh,  etc . that is the reason why no proper ika man  will join any group  like ohaneze, we  have our own  group called  the ika group  ,while we support anioma ,we also believe that those who  can trace their ancestory to igboland should join the group, but we will like to  say we the agbor and ika people should be  left alone as we are a  seperate people called  ika . i am  happy that this is bearing fruit as on delta radio there is  now news in ika language as a different languge , ikas  have  commenced writing the bible in ika language and  right  now  the gospel of  mark, luke , mathew and john have been published and we  have  books on ika languge right now ,during the colonial times our people resisted the  celebration of igbo day in ikaland, i want to state that the agbor people  even  though  we  have cultural afinities with some  of our neighbours like ogwashi, ubulu-uku  , asaba , i will like to  say we are very  different from them ,. we  are ika people , we are not binis neither are we  igbos . please take note

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by tonychristopher: 9:17pm On Mar 10, 2015
okunede:
I  will like to state that the people of eka and  agbor have always guarded their culture with fiercely in the face  of all oppositions , we as eka people know where we come from and we are proud of  our origin , we have a long  history of  kingship  and culture that is why many people will not  let  us be , it is not new for a tribe to have two  or more ancestory , e. g .  take itshekiri  , they have both benin and yoruba ancestory , but that does not make them benin or  yoruba , today , they are know as  itshekiris . but the founding  father of their tribe  was the a benin prince called iginua , son of  oba  olua of benin . we as ika people of agbor and  owa  will not wish to be  drawn into stupid arguements with  those who  do  not know  our history and who do not know  our culture and whose  sole arguements rely on  nearness of  language as a  proof  of where a  people come from , if he  is a historian then he  or she will know that  changes  in language can  occur due to  large  migrations  or trade or due to  other  factors .
please can any one tell me what agbor means in igbo  language ? going back  to  history agbor was  called  ogungunagbon  or agbon , which  means earth in benin language and the british  changed  it to agbor in 1906 . ,most eka founders or founders  of agbon were benin princes and people from ishan land in ancient times and  later other groups  of  migrants came from igbo land  , some from yorubaland  e. t. c .  it will interest you to  note that most  of agbor and  ika culture and traditions came  from benin and edo  areas .  we call  GOD- oselobue , we believe  in ehi as  our guardian spirit as the  benin do, we perfom  festivals  like igue -new year  , ogbanigbe , osi-ezi and  ugboze .  we dress like binis and  maintain  same dances like ojerima, okangan and  uje  like binis .  our traditional gods are same  as theirs  like ovia, uhunmwunde, idigun, olokun   e. t. c  .  we believe  our kings  are devine beings  from the  lineage  of olokun and oselobue .
our  chiefthanct titles are  same as benin , iyase, obasogie, obaseki , ihondor , ihama   , ezomor , ologbosere  et. c .
our  towns  are divided into   ebon (umu), idumu  and  ogbe ,
in agbor there are two  languages spoken  ozara and ika , ozara is edoid  while ika  is a mix  of bini and igbo , each  town has  her  history of  founding fathers and they are well kept, there are still some titles that  if you want to take  in some villages today  in agbor you  must go  to  benin , where the original founder came  from to  collect things and receive  blessings of approval .  it  will  interest you to note that  all  ika and  agbor kings are benin princes and the present dein of agbor is same royal blood family with  the  omonoba of  benin .
but  all  these do  not  make us binis , although in the past we bore benin tribal  marks ,but today  we are eka people  , we  are not  binis or igbos , but we know where most  of our ancestors came from , no proper  ika man  will want to be refered to  as  igbo , but  properly as  ika people . we the ika people share both igbo and  bini  cultures that  is why  we still have igbo names like ngozi , okechukwu  and the  likes , but we still have our benin names too  like  irabor , obaigbena , ovia, osagie  etc. this  is  our heritage and we are proud  of it, looking at  my family history  of about 800  years  i  saw all my ancestors were having benin names  from  omigie, agbontaen, ehiabor, imade, osaigbovou, efeizomor, okundaye  , ebie, ogbe, e. t. c , so  one day  i  asked  my father why and  he told  me that our fore-father was the  son  of a prince from benin,and that  our people from our village in idumu-ezomor were children  of  ezomor the great warrior general from benin who assisted  oba esigie of benin to  quell the  ida war . some times it  is good for people to  consult natives  of a  place and ask them of their history , before the  write  on it. anioma is a big  place , i know the  igbo  language plays  a  part in anioma  history  , but  not all aniomas migrated from igboland and their are  about  11 languages spoken there   like ozara, ika, olokumi ( old yoruba), igalla, aboh,  etc . that is the reason why no proper ika man  will join any group  like ohaneze, we  have our own  group called  the ika group  ,while we support anioma ,we also believe that those who  can trace their ancestory to igboland should join the group, but we will like to  say we the agbor and ika people should be  left alone as we are a  seperate people called  ika . i am  happy that this is bearing fruit as on delta radio there is  now news in ika language as a different languge , ikas  have  commenced writing the bible in ika language and  right  now  the gospel of  mark, luke , mathew and john have been published and we  have  books on ika languge right now ,during the colonial times our people resisted the  celebration of igbo day in ikaland, i want to state that the agbor people  even  though  we  have cultural afinities with some  of our neighbours like ogwashi, ubulu-uku  , asaba , i will like to  say we are very  different from them ,. we  are ika people , we are not binis neither are we  igbos . please take note

Another Benin wanna be

Pls use I not we

many agbor claim igbo
what is the meaning of onitsha orlu or awka in igbo

Do you know ezechima
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by tonychristopher: 9:21pm On Mar 10, 2015
agbotaen:
bloody igbo lier , which ikas did benin kill ? my father lived in benin during the war and he was not killed , and muritala lived in owa during the war and he did not kill owa/ika people , and ikas did not suffer the genocide that many others suffered , so dont bring your stupid igbo propaganda to ika , let me tell you , biafran troops also killed and murdered many people in ika areas too , just like the nigeria troops also killed some people too , but in ika , it was generally peaceful and our people were solidely behind the nigerian troops , and thats why biafra declared the obi of owa wanted dead or alive , abi you no no?
my friend ika cannever be igbo and will never go along with igbos and ika was never part of your ill fated biafra , as ika is a seperate ethnic group

Here comes the father of identity complex hear him make a jest of himself

But use I not we
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by freemanideas: 8:01am On Oct 27, 2015
If we are ibos an so what !!!!, bottom line we are never ever going to be biafra
Majority of white American's have irish ancestry does that make them ireland citizens?
What about New Zealand and Australia do they still belong to Great Britain?
What Niger Deltan we saying, is that they hate the idea of biafra and very comfortable with project
Nigeria

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by tpiah11: 3:36pm On Oct 27, 2015
Are these threads not up to one million now?

because facebook and google dey una computer, people must not rest again?
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by sim2020(m): 11:33pm On Nov 11, 2015
freemanideas:
If we are ibos an so what !!!!, bottom
line we are never ever going to be biafra
Majority of white American's have irish
ancestry does that make them ireland
citizens?
What about New Zealand and Australia
do they still belong to Great Britain?
What Niger Deltan we saying, is that they
hate the idea of biafra and very
comfortable with project
Nigeria
-------------------------------------------------
Its not that we have anything against the Igbo its just that "Agbor le Owa esi ni elewe ndigbo" its that simple we do not wish to identify with the Igbo as a matter of fact my relatives have warned keenly that they will not approve marriage to an Igbo and I see no reason why not wanting to be Igbo should be a problem to any body.
I unapologetically state that Agbor le Owa have stated long ago that they are not Igbo neither are we for biafra and still upholds that. You either accept this as a fact now or face it on the d- day when you do not see us fighting with you. it is not an act of cowardice, betrayal or backstabbing this is just the mistake the British made with Igbo and Nigeria that has led to the death of one million plus and we do not wish to make same.
However, igbo may find brotherhood among the aniochas and probably with igbodo also. Agbor le Owa and majority ika say they are ika, let them be ika don't force them to be who they are not. your fathers have tried that and have failed trying to use their numbers against our minority; before one ika says he is Ika, more than a dozen Igbo attacks him but we are never intimidated by you. For more information's and clarity, pay a visit to orogodo and say to them you are Igbo and your land is igboland and see the response don't let one non ika or an ika who was not bred at home and relies on google in knowing the meaning of his name deceive you. "I am Owa, I am ika, am not ndigbo I am nwaebon" obi ya tor nein fe o.. nmuebon alua ni, uwaoma baba, liyenio nwa onye owa. ishiegwari. #one nigeria
Agbotaen, Alua nwaebon

1 Like

Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by olisaokere(m): 10:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
sim2020:
freemanideas:
citizens?
comfortable with project
Nigeria
Its not that we have anything against the Igbo its just that "Agbor le Owa esi ni elewe ndigbo" its that simple we do not wish to identify with the Igbo as a matter of fact my relatives have warned keenly that they will not approve marriage to an Igbo and I see no reason why not wanting to be Igbo should be a problem to any body.
I unapologetically state that Agbor le Owa have stated long ago that they are not Igbo neither are we for biafra and still upholds that. You either accept this as a fact now or face it on the d- day when you do not see us fighting with you. it is not an act of cowardice, betrayal or backstabbing this is just the mistake the British made with Igbo and Nigeria that has led to the death of one million plus and we do not wish to make same.
However, igbo may find brotherhood among the aniochas and probably with igbodo also. Agbor le Owa and majority ika say they are ika, let them be ika don't force them to be who they are not. your fathers have tried that and have failed trying to use their numbers against our minority; before one ika says he is Ika, more than a dozen Igbo attacks him but we are never intimidated by you. For more information's and clarity, pay a visit to orogodo and say to them you are Igbo and your land is igboland and see the response don't let one non ika or an ika who was not bred at home and relies on google in knowing the meaning of his name deceive you. "I am Owa, I am ika, am not ndigbo I am nwaebon" obi ya tor nein fe o.. nmuebon alua ni, uwaoma baba, liyenio nwa onye owa. ishiegwari. #one nigeria
Agbotaen, Alua nwaebon

Go and sleep jor!
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by ngozianu(m): 9:01pm On Mar 22, 2017
hmmmm
Re: History Of Ika People(umunede) by Cire80: 9:21pm On Mar 23, 2017
sim2020:
freemanideas:
citizens?
comfortable with project
Nigeria
Agbotaen, Alua nwaebon
Isheguare!!! Osolobue domeii. Iseh!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices / Ooni Of Ife & His Entourage At The Voice Of America Studios In Washington.Photos / Court Restrains Oluwo Of Iwo From Presiding Over Eid Prayers, Jumat Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.