Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? (18264 Views)

Nigerian Christians Protesting In Akure Against Killings In Benue And Others / "Buhari's 2-Day Visit To Lagos A Slap On Nigerian Christians" - Catholic Bishop / Sam Omatseye: "Nigerian Christians Should Arm Themselves Against Attacks" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Alajiki(m): 7:42am On Aug 06, 2017
I have observed that no Nigerian bears the name Jesus. Is it a taboo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by torres89: 7:50am On Aug 06, 2017
Jesus is a Greek word
some Greeks bear Jesus
it's not just come in Africa
Emmanuel which is the synonym of Jesus is preferred here

68 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by remi1444: 8:13am On Aug 06, 2017
from my personal observation parent tends not to call their children Jesus because its a name above every other name by so doing we need to accord respect to it. you know some children who are stubborn if their parents intend scolding or yelling at them, dont you think they might say "JESUS ARE YOU CRAZY? They will out of anger(insult against our most high son, our mediator). so to prevent situations of them insulting our most high God son its better not to call their children JESUS.

174 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by internationalman(m): 8:26am On Aug 06, 2017
And yet in Africa they say the name we bear has influence on our future turn out. The irony now is that despite this believe nobody seems to b naming their children Jesus.
Africa is a confused continent.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by enemyofprogress: 8:34am On Aug 06, 2017
Because they are afraid of Judas coming back to do what he did to him before

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Ekakamba: 8:35am On Aug 06, 2017
Alajiki:

It ain't a taboo but adding Christ is.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by demolinka(m): 8:35am On Aug 06, 2017
OK let's check it out:

Jesus Sangotade

Jesus Nzeribe

Jesus Abacha

Igbenedion Jesus

How una see am na?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Opistorincos(m): 8:35am On Aug 06, 2017
It's a sacred name to us and it'll definitely cause confusion if we all start naming our kids that

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Cybertext(m): 8:35am On Aug 06, 2017
Probably because we Nigerians are just too religious..... but I have friends that are called Jesu-tofunmi (jesu+other suffix) from the south west.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Treasure1919(f): 8:35am On Aug 06, 2017
No one can be as perfect as He is

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Zico5(m): 8:36am On Aug 06, 2017
That name to some of us is indescribable and unique. The bible says at the name of Jesus every knees shall bow and every tongue shall confess. So it is somehow rare to see Nigerian parents naming their children Jesus. But we still names like jesuseun, Teminijesu, Jesupemi, all these in Yoruba tribe but don't know of others.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Richy4(m): 8:36am On Aug 06, 2017
In my opinion, I think people stay away from that name out of respect....
It's just like naming your child Lucifer... what if he turn out to become a reverend father...

Apart from the bible, i have never heard a city called Gomorrah... and that's a fine name..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by CuriousX: 8:36am On Aug 06, 2017
I believe it is out of respect for Him

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by PianoWizard: 8:36am On Aug 06, 2017
it is sacred

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Namdeenero(m): 8:37am On Aug 06, 2017
Only in Africa.... Op try name your child Amadioha angry

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by ta4ba3(m): 8:37am On Aug 06, 2017
I've heard of people naming their kids Jesus e.g Jesus's navas or Gabriel Jesus.... but I've never heard of the name Christ

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by haryomikun(m): 8:37am On Aug 06, 2017
Alajiki:

.i have a friend with the name Jesus

We're living in the same hall off campus

Although it does seem weird to call him Jesus. Especially as say the guy na bad boy grin

donholy28:
That name is said alot of times.. if ur name is Jesus and u live in Nigeria..you'll be hearing ur name everywhere and u won't know when someone is calling you

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 06, 2017
The white man imposed religion(Christianity) on us to make us subservient, docile and "more tolerable" and it worked.
Now I'm a Christian,don't get me wrong but Christianity and religion as a whole is one of the reasons Africa is as backward as it is because Africans being the highly superstitious beings that we are over abuse these religions which is why we can't think and act but pray to our God to solve even the slightest problems.
Now back to the topic,as holy as he was,the name "JESUS" is really just a name which is why so many Latin Americans and the rest bear that name.They see nothing wrong in giving their kids such names but over here where we are so religiously inclined it is perceived as a taboo. These pple that brought us religion are more liberal and neutral about it than we the recipients.
Talk about being more holy than the pope,ha! grin

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Amoto94(m): 8:38am On Aug 06, 2017
Treasure1919:
No one can be as perfect as He is
But Latinos do bear the name as firstname and surname eg Jesus Gamez and Gabriel Jesus two footballers who plays for Atletico Madrid and Manchester City.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Emokai3(m): 8:38am On Aug 06, 2017
because he is the saviour and no one is worth to be named jesus.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by ExAngel007(f): 8:38am On Aug 06, 2017
has any xtain name their child LOT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by barnacle: 8:39am On Aug 06, 2017
I have seen a guy called "Jesus-Emmanuel" then his surname here in Nigeria... He was my junior in school then
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by donholy28(m): 8:39am On Aug 06, 2017
That name is said alot of times.. if ur name is Jesus and u live in Nigeria..you'll be hearing ur name everywhere and u won't know when someone is calling you

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Josephamstrong1(m): 8:39am On Aug 06, 2017
remi1444:
from my personal observation parent tends not to call their children Jesus because its a name above every other name by so doing we need to accord respect to it. you know some children who are stubborn if their parents intend scolding or yelling at them, dont you think they might say "JESUS ARE YOU CRAZY? They will out of anger(insult against our most high son, our mediator). so to prevent situations of them insulting our most high God son its better not to call their children JESUS.

Greeks name their kids... Jesus.
We name our kids... Emmanuel.
U r free to name your kid Jesus buh do not put Christ.
Jesus is just a name... Ppl answer it. There's a difference between Jesus and Jesus Christ.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by codemaniacs: 8:40am On Aug 06, 2017
kk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by Generalyemi(m): 8:41am On Aug 06, 2017
another silly post and stupid question
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by 0b100100111: 8:41am On Aug 06, 2017
The Oyinbo man that sold the religion to them told them not to grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by northvietnam(m): 8:41am On Aug 06, 2017
remi1444:

"JESUS ARE YOU CRAZY? .

you are madt
lolzzzzzz......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by ozoneamani02(m): 8:42am On Aug 06, 2017
torres89:
Jesus is a Greek word

some Greeks bear Jesus

it's not just come in Africa

Emmanuel which is the synonym of Jesus is preferred here
Jesus is not a Greek word! The original text is "Esau". Its English connotation is Jesus. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by kenigwe18: 8:42am On Aug 06, 2017
Its same reason no 1 call their children Judas...or better still lemme put it this way Jesus is a name we believe that thats higher than every other name and since Christianity wasn't originated here we feel its a sign of disrespect
Re: Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? by godunia(m): 8:42am On Aug 06, 2017
We are simply superstitious, Jesus is a name, Christ is what made the difference.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Catholic Church Bans Ejike Mbaka From Endorsing Politicians / 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! / Adeboye - Same-Sex Marriage Against God’s Will

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.