Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Egusi Lumps - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Egusi Lumps (10117 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) / Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 4:08am On Feb 12, 2010
How do I get my egusi to to "lump up"?

When I cook egusi, it comes out without the lumps. . . .I try not to leave it in the palm oil for too long, else it'll burn.

any tricks, plz? undecided

The last one I cook today also came out without the lump, I tried making the mixture thick and even frying it like akara

Re: Egusi Lumps by THEAMAKA(f): 4:11am On Feb 12, 2010
girl i can't cook(yet), but. . . grin grin grin
you even still use that unhealthy palm oil?
undecided
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 4:12am On Feb 12, 2010
Hahah, of course I did, thatz the key ingredient.
Learn to cook o, omo, na important thing smiley
Re: Egusi Lumps by THEAMAKA(f): 4:15am On Feb 12, 2010
we haven't been using palm oil for the last 5 years now (cause of health reasons). i think it causes HBP (which runs in Nigerian blood) and other stuff like that.
so unhealthy.
we use a substitute now, and it's not an oil at all. gotta ask my mommy. smiley
and i don't even notice a taste change, cause it pretty much tastes the exact same.
and i'm too lazy to learn, but i know i have to.
don't they sell some type of west african or nigerian cook book? lol
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 4:17am On Feb 12, 2010
No books, have my mother's knowledge grin And AMAKAONE thread, of course

Plzzz, por favor, silva plait, lemme know the substitution. Ask your mom for me, thanks.
Re: Egusi Lumps by oyinda3(f): 4:19am On Feb 12, 2010
you don't make the lump by cooking it. you make it before u cook it.

grind the egusi.
put a bit of water in it (a LITTLE bit) and mix.
then add a little bit of oil. (a DROP or two)
mix again by smooshing the egusi with your fingers
then start making the small lumps.
add the lumps to the boiling soup right before u add the spinach.
Re: Egusi Lumps by maedan(f): 4:19am On Feb 12, 2010
Lol. I can't really remember how my ma used to do it, but I think she put the egusi in a dish, added a little water, and made little lumps which she dropped into the bubbling pot of soup. In essence we never "fried" our egusi at home, we cook it.

And take it easy on the p/oil, too. Too much cholesterol, babe.
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 4:25am On Feb 12, 2010
oyinda.:

grind the egusi.

Aint you supposed to fry the lumps before putting it inside the boiling soup? Cuz it will seperate once it gets into the soup.

maedan:

Lol. I can't really remember how my ma used to do it, but I think she put the egusi in a dish, added a little water, and made little lumps which she dropped into the bubbling pot of soup. In essence we never "fried" our egusi at home, we cook it.

And take it easy on the p/oil, too. Too much cholesterol, babe.
Really? Gotta try that next time grin grin grin Just drop the lump? But. . . . but. . . . .

Yea, I didnt have enough spinach so more soup than efo grin I rarely eat egusi tho, twice a month to prevent pimples. So yea, dnt have to worry too much bt cholest.
Re: Egusi Lumps by maedan(f): 4:28am On Feb 12, 2010
No buts, babe, just do it smiley. So long as you "mould" it properly in the size (big or small) that you want, you may then place it into your pot in which your soup is cooking.
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 4:30am On Feb 12, 2010
Yes ma, I'll try it. I hope it works tho.
Thanks cheesy
Re: Egusi Lumps by THEAMAKA(f): 4:31am On Feb 12, 2010
i didn't even know what egusi lumps were until now.
i've never seen nor eaten anything with lumps in it, especially in a soup. lol
so maybe the substitute only works for making regular soup, maybe you still need the oil in order to make the lumps.
idk but i'll ask anyway.
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 4:32am On Feb 12, 2010
THE AMAKA:

i didn't even know what egusi lumps were until now.
i've never seen nor eaten anything with lumps in it, especially in a soup. lol
so maybe the substitute only works for making regular soup, maybe you still need the oil in order to make the lumps.
idk but i'll ask anyway.

grin grin grin grin It makes the soup more sophisticated

thanks, dnt forget. Very important, I dnt have HBP planned for my 35th birthday [next year]
Re: Egusi Lumps by THEAMAKA(f): 4:38am On Feb 12, 2010
FL Gators:

grin grin grin grin It makes the soup more sophisticated

thanks, dnt forget. Very important, I dnt have HBP planned for my 35th birthday [next year]
[size=14pt]LMFAO!!![/size]
Re: Egusi Lumps by chiogo(f): 4:55am On Feb 12, 2010
People fry Egusi??

Dunno about any lumps oo. Why would you want that? grin
Re: Egusi Lumps by oyinda3(f): 5:03am On Feb 12, 2010
FL Gators:

Aint you supposed to fry the lumps before putting it inside the boiling soup? Cuz it will seperate once it gets into the soup.

even if your frying it before u put it in the boiling soup, you still have to make the lumps before u fry it other wise it won't hold in they frying pan cheesy. i prefer not to fry it because it's healthier that way though.
it won't separate if u follow the steps. grind the egusi dry then add a bit of water. don't add too much. just two drops at a time. mix and form the lumps with your fingers and put a little bit of oil (optional) on it. it will make the lumps a bit shiny and stickier. then drop them in the pot.

chiogo:

People fry Egusi?? 

Dunno about any lumps oo. Why would you want that?  grin

cause it tastes so good. plus it's like randomly finding bits of meat or shrimp in your soup.
Re: Egusi Lumps by chiogo(f): 5:08am On Feb 12, 2010
oyinda.:

cause it tastes so good. plus it's like randomly finding bits of meat or shrimp in your soup.

lol that's a new one. There are no lumps in my mom's Egusi, they are the best!! literally. I even miss it now cry cheesy
I call pieces of meat 'orishirishi' grin love those!
Re: Egusi Lumps by oyinda3(f): 5:11am On Feb 12, 2010
the first time i heard of the "orishirishi" was from an igbo person. i don't think a lot of yoruba people do that even though orishirishi is a yoruba word. we tend to use pieces of fish, rather than pieces of meat. meat is always whole (at least in my family). unless it's ground meat which we rarely use.
Re: Egusi Lumps by chiogo(f): 5:16am On Feb 12, 2010
I know it's a Yoruba word, doesn't it mean little pieces of something? We use that for pieces of meat/stockfish in my house. lol
We use whole meat too but if it's really soft, some might cut into small pieces while taking them from the pot, they don't count as my "actual meat" oo just something to chew on before eating the actual meat. grin
Re: Egusi Lumps by Dimka76(m): 8:05am On Feb 12, 2010
THE AMAKA:

we haven't been using palm oil for the last 5 years now (cause of health reasons). i think it causes HBP (which runs in Nigerian blood) and other stuff like that.
so unhealthy.
we use a substitute now, and it's not an oil at all. gotta ask my mommy. smiley
and i don't even notice a taste change, cause it pretty much tastes the exact same.
and i'm too lazy to learn, but i know i have to.
don't they sell some type of west african or nigerian cook book? lol

Abeg joo, all this cancer scare self. Look 5 yrs from now they will discover some cancer causing stuff in that substittute.
Do u have a sub for garri? Look go and learn to cook or i wont marry U.
Re: Egusi Lumps by THEAMAKA(f): 8:07am On Feb 12, 2010
when i said substitute you act like i said it was some type of "synthetic" or "artificial" substitute.
na wa!!!
it's a commonly used everyday ingredient. and it doesn't contain that many calories or any fat at all.
beats eating palm oil anyday
rubbish.
Re: Egusi Lumps by lalaboi(m): 11:46am On Feb 12, 2010
Chineke me oh. . . . See tis gals. . . Still struggling to cook. . . . grin

Fl gator/ . . .ordinary efo elegusi u dey struggle. . . .

Amaka. . . .My bro nor go like u again!. . u nor sabi cook! angry

I don comot all of una for ma invisible shortlist bdat. . .except oyinda. . .ori e pe lol. .ori e wanbe!
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 12, 2010
Gator

Egusi be this damn!!!!!

he pain me he no dey this ma city!! but i still chop am like 2 weeks ago sha hahaha grin
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 12, 2010
lalaboi:

Chineke me oh. . . . See tis gals. . . Still struggling to cook. . . . grin

Fl gator/ . . .ordinary efo elegusi u dey struggle. . . .

Amaka. . . .My bro nor go like u again!. . u nor sabi cook! angry

I don comot all of una for ma invisible shortlist bdat. . .except oyinda. . .ori e pe lol. .ori e wanbe!

See this one, ordinary blender, you no fit use. talkless of cooking grin

@Faakay
Pele o. . . . se o fe ki n send egusi soup mi fun e ni? grin
Which city would that be?
Re: Egusi Lumps by chic2pimp(m): 12:36am On Feb 13, 2010
THE AMAKA:

girl i can't cook(yet), but. . . grin grin grin
you even still use that unhealthy palm oil?
undecided

You can't cook ke? shocked shocked shocked
Man, my mum & dad whooped our butts into the kitchen and taught each one of us how to cook grin grin.
And boy am I grateful I learnt wink
Re: Egusi Lumps by darami(f): 1:06am On Feb 13, 2010
I normally mix the egusi with egg, just one ( depends on the quantity of your egusi), no water at all. It will come all lumps.
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 7:05am On Feb 13, 2010
FL Gators:

@Faakay
Pele o. . . . se o fe ki n send egusi soup mi fun e ni? grin
Which city would that be?

Dalian

every dey here oo, the chincos eat egusi too but they cook it anoda kinda of style,

na only garri no dey here wit elubo,  he pain me sha
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 13, 2010
faakay:

Dalian

every dey here oo, the chincos eat egusi too but they cook it anoda kinda of style,

na only garri no dey here wit elubo,  he pain me sha

LOL I know how much you loff your amala cheesy

Pele, atleast you have egusi in abundant over there.
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 14, 2010
oyinda.:

grind the egusi.

You may want to adopt this method to get a very good result. Instead of using water to mix the egusi, use meat stock, (just a little to help form a nice consistency.) Knead well with your fingertips and make small lumps. Add the lumps into your hot boiling soup, then cover immediately. This in turn will help the egusi steam and bind at the same. Leave on for @10mins on low heat, before turning in anything else you may want to add, including palmoil. Hope this helps.
Re: Egusi Lumps by Nobody: 3:36am On Feb 15, 2010
Kiki2000:

You may want to adopt this method to get a very good result. Instead of using water to mix the egusi, use meat stock, (just a little to help form a nice consistency.) Knead well with your fingertips and make small lumps. Add the lumps into your hot boiling soup, then cover immediately. This in turn will help the egusi steam and bind at the same. Leave on for @10mins on low heat, before turning in anything else you may want to add, including palmoil. Hope this helps.

I have the fresh egusi that's not yet grinded/blended. . . . dnt think it'll make the lumps
Re: Egusi Lumps by THEAMAKA(f): 6:25pm On Feb 15, 2010
the substitute that we use is actually chili powder. yes powder NOT pepper.
red oil is used mostly for color, and chili powder provides that with little calories and no fat.
so try it out!!!
no oil at all, love it.
smiley
Re: Egusi Lumps by Fhemmmy: 7:12pm On Feb 15, 2010
looks nice
Re: Egusi Lumps by JeSoul(f): 9:05pm On Feb 16, 2010
Na wa, different strokes for different folks.

I dislike clumps in my egusi. Infact when my mum used to cook it, I'd mash all the lumps down into the soup. Now I make it my own way, just put the crumbs straight into the pot.

and oh, palm oil till I die! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It True That Pounded Yam Makes One So Fat? / Bad Yam / Cost Of Cooking Gas With The Cylinder ( Urgent Pls!!!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.