Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work (24397 Views)

Power Mech Staff At Dangote Refinery Complain Of Work Despite Lockdown / Termination Letter For Kaduna LGA Workers (Photo) / Mass Retrenchment In My Place Of Work; Am I Safe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
Federal govt job? The economy ain't smiling. The outcome of redundancy perhaps...
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Opakan2: 8:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
Sorry OP.. Jobs in Nigeria these days are no longer guaranteed. Things are falling apart but hopefully Nigeria will stand again.

In my own opinion, I feel they want to play you guys wayo, maybe cut your bonuses or even salary. Blame the system for non-existent Labour bodies like NLC.

It's in times like these you'll see those petty gold diggers who are quick to call guys broke show their real colour. Keep the hope alive
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Nigeriadondie: 8:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
undecided
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Opakan2: 8:22pm On Aug 06, 2017
ekensi01:
Immediately PMB is declared dead Nigeria will stand up on its fit.

PMB won't die but live to complete his tenure and mandate given to him by Nigerians.

I won't curse you tho I'm very much tempted to.. buh I'll pass
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Nigeriadondie: 8:24pm On Aug 06, 2017
ferdinandgeorge:
At my place of work last week, all the staff were summoned on and a letter was issued to all staff in that organization saying that our appointment have been terminated. In the letter we were told to reapply. Everybody was confused. My question is why did such decision made against us.. And is there still hope that they reinstate all of us after reapplying.

Please I need ur advice.. And what should I write when reapply
I ve experienced that before at my former place of work and it is very sad that many private firms are now using that method. Form my experience, it is a means by employers to sack some staff whom they they ve no reason to do so. They may often do so to replace existing staff with one they want to recruit with far lower pay or to reduce the number of staff and to instill fear into the others that may still be reappointed. They also know that for some radical staff they wud be angry and not reapply.
Please if u work in such place u can never ve a future in such place. Hence, start to look for job.Well u may reapply.

It also tells that our country is a useless place where workers have no rights and employers can violates these rights with impunity afterall when the useless govt at all ;levels violates workers rights by owing them salaries for months and not paying retirees their pension and other entitlements then how wud they be ableto protect the rights of workers in many private firms?
Most firms dont allow unions even NLC is dead if not d issue of casual labour wud ve been addressed at once

2 Likes

Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 06, 2017
This is a way to get rid of certain people and offer lower salaries. Reapply but look for a new job while you wait for a response.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by FriendNG: 8:37pm On Aug 06, 2017
lathrowinger:

Shege walahi... bara o banza ney wana.... na u go die no be Mr President... wicked Ipob

grin grin I like this your Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Skoopy(m): 8:42pm On Aug 06, 2017
ferdinandgeorge:
At my place of work last week, all the staff were summoned on and a letter was issued to all staff in that organization saying that our appointment have been terminated. In the letter we were told to reapply. Everybody was confused. My question is why did such decision made against us.. And is there still hope that they reinstate all of us after reapplying.

Some companies (mostly indigenous) tend to disengage it's staffs once it is getting close to the number of years (most times 5 yrs, by many companies) it's staffs will qualify for payoff during redundancy or resignation. You will be asked to reapply and the years starts counting afresh. Believe me, it is wickedness of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by judility(m): 8:44pm On Aug 06, 2017
that's why I start my skill acquisition on auto elect immediately after my service year, today I now choose jobs to work on and money is flowing with no stress and enough time for my self, pls inbox me for your, [ car tracker, car security, speed limiter, ac services and all cars electrical fault,] nothing pay more than skills.

1 Like

Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Foxie: 8:54pm On Aug 06, 2017
agba1900:
Are you qualified, sound and honest accountant?
Minimum of five years experience
Send your CVs to rdentries1@gmail.com Recruitment is urgent.

Deadline: 6PM Monday 7th August.
Please what's the Firm into and where is it located at?
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by BlackyOne: 9:24pm On Aug 06, 2017
maybe there is a new management or ownership, hence you have to apply afresh, some people will also loose their job in the process.....its just an organisation restructuring tactics
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by sanitelag(m): 9:33pm On Aug 06, 2017
You were initially non-regular, (either Month-to-Month, Locum, Contract or Casual) Now they want to regularise you by giving you Probationary Offer then Confirmation later.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Guyman02: 9:37pm On Aug 06, 2017
0b100100111:
You salary is about to be cut!

The company wants to rebargain!

#Simple!

You will be offered lower packages for same role with an option to turn-down since you already sacked!

On the contrary, you could be offered a higher salary without benefits such as pension, overtime, medical etc as a contract staff with a caveat that the company can fire you anytime without payoff and your stay will be based on performance and management periodic evaluation
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by TunnyOgunnowo(m): 9:53pm On Aug 06, 2017
Sorry for what your organisation did to you but there is job vacancies for HR Managers, Web Developers, Auditors, Teachers, Project Managers and Fresh Graduates.

If you have the above listed qualifications please goto > https://www.mploy.com.ng/jobseekers/login

In the link page, register as a new user and fill in all your details and qualifications and you will begin to receive job vacancies that match the qualifications you have filled in.

Please ONLY register if you are ready for employment. Individuals still in school or awaiting NYSC should not register.

Also check the image below to enter for our video CV competition. Winners will be rewarded also with immediate employment that match their qualifications.

Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by paulpery: 9:58pm On Aug 06, 2017
That is a strategy to sack some people. Reapply but start making plan B
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by caruzo(m): 10:01pm On Aug 06, 2017
Hope ur company is not one of the DISCOs.my guess might be right.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by BigBUMBUM: 10:01pm On Aug 06, 2017
lathrowinger:

Shege walahi... bara o banza ney wana.... na u go die no be Mr President... wicked Ipob
The way you typed tbis thing ehn grin grin

1 Like

Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by zeemdam: 10:07pm On Aug 06, 2017
ferdinandgeorge:

Usually, when you work in a place for a long period of time (say 5 years or more) , you are entitled to some gratuity when you resign.

What your company is doing is that they are trying to avoid paying that gratuity by terminating your contracts and offering you new ones so in ur files, it will be that you were newly employed. I won't be surprised if it becomes an annual thing.
This way, someone who spends as much as 25 years in the company will not be entitled to any gratuity on leaving as the duration that will count will be from his latest contract
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by Respect55(m): 10:34pm On Aug 06, 2017
lathrowinger:

ubanka. Maukachi.Dan iska

1 Like

Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by AHCB: 10:41pm On Aug 06, 2017
amicable09:

Lol.

But are you sure of this opinion of yours? Can we call it a statement of fact?

Me think that it can happen anywhere even in structured organizations. Only that it will be done codedly.

The explanation offered by some that they want to change the terms of their contract may hold true. I really will love to know the end of this matter though. It's essential.
I can not call it a fact, but what I do know is most of these organisation, especially the one man business sort, love doing these things.

I believe if the said company really want to review their employees contract, there are other ways to go about it, this one looks fishy.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by ofuonyebi: 11:07pm On Aug 06, 2017
Listen to me:

(1). If you are NOT among those who caused the recession by corruption,

(2). if you are NOT among those causing agitation and insinuation against authority..

(3). If you have NO official query...

Then, start celebrating!...when they ask you any question,,,,.just answer them that your record speaks better..

I see you desk waiting for you!!
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by joinnow: 11:41pm On Aug 06, 2017
zeemdam:

Usually, when you work in a place for a long period of time (say 5 years or more) , you are entitled to some gratuity when you resign.

What your company is doing is that they are trying to avoid paying that gratuity by terminating your contracts and offering you new ones so in ur files, it will be that you were newly employed. I won't be surprised if it becomes an annual thing.
This way, someone who spends as much as 25 years in the company will not be entitled to any gratuity on leaving as the duration that will count will be from his latest contract
Most likely reason from second hand experience
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by linearity: 12:06am On Aug 07, 2017
olaboderichard:
All they just want to do is to downsize some of the staffs and you dont need to write anything than to just reapply and pray that you are re-employed....Regards,

If that was the reason, they would have done a targeted sack of only employees they want to eliminate.

Something tells me that, they want to change their terms of employment and since all seniority will lost as a result of this sack, all accumulated benefits or entitlements will also be lost, which is a smart myopic move on the part of the company to save money.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by jerrypeacelinks(m): 2:48am On Aug 07, 2017
This post is coming from Abia state, and if am not mistaken, this can happen only at the MICHAEL OKPARA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, UMUDIKE, ABIA STATE. A federal owned University oooooo........

Its quite unfortunate that the poster of this is scared to say where it happened. Maybe you think you will be spared by that man from Ebonyi state? Lol!!!!!!!!! Its clear the new Vice Chancellor in your school wants to replace you guys with his kinsmen and people who he owes favours.

The bet is 3% as against 97% for him to recall you guys back especially now he tactically waged a war claimed to be one against corruption against your former Vice Chancellor who employed you guys.

All the same, I wish you luck.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by nurusystem(m): 4:03am On Aug 07, 2017
ekensi01:
Immediately PMB is declared dead Nigeria will stand up on its fit.
Go and kill ur self if that is ur wish to Mr President
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by austinoeze(m): 5:19am On Aug 07, 2017
If it's a private school it means they are trying to cut cost by downsizing the number of staff and coverting others to contract staff that's if the affected teachers choose to accept the offer. It's just a tactics they use nowadays.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by nwaconnect: 5:51am On Aug 07, 2017
MY BROTHER CALM DOWN. GOD IS PUSHING YOU NEXT LEVEL THAT IS BETTER THAN THAT ONE................
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by olu101017: 6:18am On Aug 07, 2017
Where you given letter of appointment when employed? Was there any term and conditions stated in that letter? Did they state reasons for possible termination of your appointment in the letter? Did you breach or have you ever been probed before over a bad conduct? If your answer to above question is you can engage the service of a lawyer. The company can be sued for breach of contract. Don't sit down and pity yourself get a lawyer and present your letter of appointment to the lawyer for possible action.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by olu101017: 6:23am On Aug 07, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

I ve experienced that before at my former place of work and it is very sad that many private firms are now using that method. Form my experience, it is a means by employers to sack some staff whom they they ve no reason to do so. They may often do so to replace existing staff with one they want to recruit with far lower pay or to reduce the number of staff and to instill fear into the others that may still be reappointed. They also know that for some radical staff they wud be angry and not reapply.
Please if u work in such place u can never ve a future in such place. Hence, start to look for job.Well u may reapply.

It also tells that our country is a useless place where workers have no rights and employers can violates these rights with impunity afterall when the useless govt at all ;levels violates workers rights by owing them salaries for months and not paying retirees their pension and other entitlements then how wud they be ableto protect the rights of workers in many private firms?
Most firms dont allow unions even NLC is dead if not d issue of casual labour wud ve been addressed at once
Please talk to a lawyer. If you were given appointment letter that staes reasons for termination.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by osmosis4sure: 6:32am On Aug 07, 2017
God will help us in this country.
Re: Termination Of Appointments At My Place Of Work by amicable09(f): 6:34am On Aug 07, 2017
AHCB:
I can not call it a fact, but what I do know is most of these organisation, especially the one man business sort, love doing these things.

I believe if the said company really want to review their employees contract, there are other ways to go about it, this one looks fishy.
Fishy.... True.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. / Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? / The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.