Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,773 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? (24437 Views)

How Do Entrepreneurs That Use Petrol Engines Cope? / 20 Successful Under-40 Entrepreneurs In Nigeria / 4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 10:02pm On Sep 18, 2019
If you are a salary earner, you must be used to hearing these statements from people who are self-employed.

“Immediately after graduation, I vowed never to work for anyone”

“Salary is the token you are paid to forget your dreams”

“Ever since I made up my mind to start my own business, I have realized corporate work is just modern slavery”

“I am my own boss, I control my time”

“You can never get rich working for someone else”... etc

Business people won't allow someone rest. Are we in a competition? The goal is for everyone to earn a living. Why do some of them constantly try to remind us they are living the best life.

These same people have workers o. If we all become business owners, who will patronise the other and who will handle other sectors?

248 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by otipoju(m): 10:46pm On Sep 18, 2019
People wey no well. Las las dem go still come borrow from people wey dey work 9-5. Arrogant pricks.

198 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 11:12pm On Sep 18, 2019
otipoju:
People wey no well. Las las dem go still come borrow from people wey dey work 9-5. Arrogant ****.

As in ehn, otipoju!!!

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Josade4(m): 12:02am On Sep 19, 2019
Both is key...
If you work for salary... Congrats, but be wise.
Have a biz aside.

If you have a biz...congrats, if a salary job will serve as a boost on the sidelines, Take it.

They both have their pros and cons.

189 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by missimelda01(f): 12:54am On Sep 19, 2019
Doing a 9-5 isn't the problem, the way some people get comfortable with it is where the problem lies. The advantages of being an entrepreneur are numerous, I don't think anyone would like to do a 9-5 till death but that doesn't change the fact that a 9-5 is necessary sometimes to source for capital. So I think a 9-5 is important, while being an entrepreneur is importanter

BTW is it 9-5 in lagos? Most private companies no Sabi this one o, they would use work to kill their staffs

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 4:21am On Sep 19, 2019
missimelda01:
Doing a 9-5 isn't the problem, the way some people get comfortable with it is where the problem lies. The advantages of being an entrepreneur are numerous, I don't think anyone would like to do a 9-5 till death but that doesn't change the fact that a 9-5 is necessary sometimes to source for capital. So I think a 9-5 is important, while being an entrepreneur is importanter

BTW is it 9-5 lagos? Most private companies no Sabi this one o, they would use work to kill their staff

Why can't I get comfortable in my job? Is it your comfortable? grin Why should a problem lie there?

The Western countries Nigerians are running in mass to; majority don't go there with the hope of trading (this is the definition of entrepreneurship in Nigeria). They go there to do same 9-5, sometimes a less professional one, all to survive.

This means the problem was never the 9-5, but the system, system being the country.

If you can be comfortable with your business despite growing competition and difficulty in doing business which has led to the death of so many businesses in Nigeria. Why should I not be comfortable in my job.

When your business has issues, you blame the government for making it hard for you (and expect me to sympathise with you), BUT when I lose my job- you blame me for being a comfortable salary earner.

Forgetting it is the same system fcking us all, just different styles and orifices.

I am sure there are many 9-5 that your entrepreneurship would never be IMPORTANTER than and vice versa.

Different strokes...

277 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by donstan18: 5:18am On Sep 19, 2019
Simply because most salary earning jobs in Nigeria don't worth the stress.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 5:58am On Sep 19, 2019
donstan18:
Simply because most salary earning jobs in Nigeria don't worth the stress.

Being a Nigerian isn't worth the stress to start with. Nothing is worth it in this country.

64 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 19, 2019
I have had a job and I have done freelancing.... And I will always choose my freelancing business over and over again even though it means applying for a contract Everytime

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by 24kmagic: 7:16am On Sep 19, 2019
Truth is, no matter how hard you try, business is not for everyone.

Not every one can be an entrepreneur.

151 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by yomalex(m): 7:16am On Sep 19, 2019
I think it's the other way round.
If I don't dress up in the morning to go out they'll be looking at you like "see this jobless guy".

I design websites, sell bulk sms that delivers to DND numbers.

I deliver products for Mini-importers in Ibadan

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by kaaybest(m): 7:17am On Sep 19, 2019
Good morning y’all �
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:17am On Sep 19, 2019
ENTREPRENEUR is Bae!

About the generalization part, we don't know about that!!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by SendoSendal: 7:17am On Sep 19, 2019
But an entrepreneur created the 9-5 job you are doing. You also owe it to the generation coming to create their 9-5 jobs.

59 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 19, 2019
Yes, I think it's condescending how entreprenuers talks down salary earners but the fact of the matter is it's high justifiable in a all reminification. Entreprenure gets money long as long as they in business, calls the shot, have a better use of time and earns till death do him and his business part. Reverse is just the case for a salary earner as he also turns entreprenuer when he gets fired from thay job. It even gets messy in an insane clime like Nigeria where job security isn't guaranteed.

CHEAP DEAL on a Lexus down my signature.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Homeboiy: 7:17am On Sep 19, 2019
How much una dey collect per month

U ft siddon spend 30-50k on drinks only on sundays

That's why

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Vincad: 7:18am On Sep 19, 2019
I recently read an anonymous post of a guy who got a six million naira job immediately after service. From 19,800 to 6million. Will you advise that guy to quit his job just to answer to the term 'entrepreneur'?
Sure not everyone will be like him, just like not everyone can be into business.

Edit : Can you guys please stop quoting me? It's starting to get old. Like I said I read it and I believe it's true. If you believe fine, if you don't believe, no problem. If you like when you get a job interview, don't sell yourself very well and if they offer you a good salary, reject it because surely they are scamming you.

22 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CarGuideNG: 7:18am On Sep 19, 2019
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by simple250: 7:18am On Sep 19, 2019
We say no to crazy boss . angry you close late they will say you are hard working you resume late they deduct your money insult you like they are your parents .fork 9-5 job ,job without rest of mind .

LASTLY THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Offpoint: 7:18am On Sep 19, 2019
Cuz Masters have no regards to slaves

And please there's nothing like 9-5 in Nigeria.

Lagosians 4am-9pm
other state 7:30 - 5pm...
One-man-business: 7am.. They decide when you close.

Try get to your office by 9 and see

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Acidosis(m): 7:19am On Sep 19, 2019
...because they're senseless. Real entrepreneurs don't talk down on 9-5 jobs. The lousy ones are largely the GLND and other multi-level marketing criminals. These ones spend all day and night looking for people to market fake and inferior Chinese drugs.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Royalfurnitures: 7:19am On Sep 19, 2019
Some of them won't tell you they had rich family that sponsored them but talk as if they are smarter than some people that are not privileged like them

Check out my signature for quality and durable furniture for your homes and offices

26 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by scribble: 7:19am On Sep 19, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Etizz: 7:19am On Sep 19, 2019
Don't mind dem....its just a tactic to make u believe entrepreneur is the best....they forget to know that not everyone or everyone can not be an intrepreneurer ...

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Kendumazy(m): 7:19am On Sep 19, 2019
Those are the pompous and arrogant entrepreneurs. Real entrepreneurs that has passed through sweat and pains to get his business to a topmost height won't even have the time to bash anyone because it's not easy.

16 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by DesChyko: 7:20am On Sep 19, 2019
I just pay attention to what they have to offer but I don't let their 'pressure' get to me.

It's just boring to expect everyone tow the same direction.

Which of the countries we aspire to be has everyone as entrepreneurs?

The aim is to make a living. Anyhow legitimate does it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by etrange: 7:20am On Sep 19, 2019
Cause they don't know that working for someone is working for yourself. You render services and get paid just similar to what they do. They work for their clients.

The funny thing is that our own version of entrepreneur is a trader. Lol.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 19, 2019
Working 9 to 5 is just corporate slavery to enrich another man's business no matter how you look at it
Being an Entrepreneur, not an easy feat, is to free yourself from that "corporate slavery" and be in charge of your life

So it's a turn off

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by lacastre: 7:21am On Sep 19, 2019
Brb
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by missCAPS: 7:21am On Sep 19, 2019
I started my own business a couple of months ago and I bet entrepreneurship isn't as glamorous as these people pose it to be. It's veeeeery frustrating!

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by lyriclekidd(m): 7:21am On Sep 19, 2019
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / Why You Should Join The Nigeria Police Today! / Kogi: Screening Committee Discovers Level 13 Medical Officer With School Cert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.