Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS (12267 Views)

Ussd Code To Stop Auto Renewal Of Airtel Plan / "Nigeria Telecom Operators Will Now Pay N500,000 For Unsolicited Messages" - NCC / NCC Releases Short Codes To Stop Unsolicited SMS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 07, 2017
About 6.5 million subscribers have so far activated the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) short code introduced to end unsolicited commercial communications from telecommunication operators.

This comes as a group, Initiative for Support and Promotion of Consumers’ Rights (ISPC), tasked the service providers to protect quality of their services by engaging in advisory services to the consumers on the standard type of phone and gadgets to be procured.

At a town hall meeting for consumers at Afikpo, Ebonyi State, NCC’s Director, Consumer Affairs Bureau, Abdullahi Maikano, said the short code services, which commenced in June last year to protect subscribers from unwholesome practice has hit 6.5 million base, only about four per cent of total subscribers rate in the country.

He urged Nigerians not to stop exploring the short code services, which include the Do Not Disturb (DND) code 2442 to stop unwarranted text messages. He explained that the commission last year directed all mobile network operators to dedicate the short code to enable subscribers take informed but independent decisions on what messages they wished to receive from the networks.

Maikano, who was represented by a Deputy Director in the commission, Ephraim Nwokenneya, said all that was needed from a subscriber was to text “STOP” to 2442, adding that should the unwarranted text continue, the subscriber was expected to call a toll free number 622 and report the incident.

He said the NCC would now verify and pronounce the necessary sanctions on the affected mobile network provider, and urged Nigerians to engage the services of the code to protect themselves.

Speaking on the theme, “Information and Education as a Catalyst for Consumer Protection,” he said the forum was organised to “educate telecom consumers and other stakeholders on contemporary issues generating interest in the industry,” and serves as a feedback to enable the Commission make regulatory interventions for the benefits of consumers.

He said consumer education is one of the most cost effective mechanisms that provides and guarantees consumer protection, stressing that besides serving as a proactive way of protecting consumers from making wrong choices, it serves as preventive a measure against exploitation and fraud.

He said that the commission has developed series of initiatives with the main objectives of empowering consumers with appropriate information that would ensure that their rights were protected, in line with Nigeria’s constitution.

At the event, representatives of major network operators including the MTN, GLO, Airtel, 9mobile, said they have continued to improve on their technology to serve their customers better, and advised subscribers to always call in, text or log on to their various platforms for their services

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/6-5m-nigerians-activate-dnd-code-to-stop-unsolicited-sms/

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by froz(m): 7:19am On Aug 08, 2017
Those msgs can be annoying.

1 Like

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by buygala(m): 7:37am On Aug 08, 2017
I heard the DND service also blocks the receipt of other bulk SMS services, including Bank alerts sad

Please those who have activated the service should help confirm or refute this please smiley

Modified

Having gotten some replies from two very nice nairalanders, it is my opinion that the disadvantages of using the DND service far outweigh its advantages sad

To whoever activates that DND, The Service providers be like

2 Likes

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 08, 2017
froz:
Those msgs can be annoying.
Have you noticed that those evil messages pop up more when you're expecting a Credit Alert?
"Send XYZ to ABC to win 7million naira"

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by sweatlana: 7:39am On Aug 08, 2017
Make a follow activate asap!
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by ammyluv2002(f): 7:40am On Aug 08, 2017
They still won't stop sending those annoying sms

2 Likes

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by kasmail(m): 7:41am On Aug 08, 2017
I need code to deactivate unwanted calls from network too

3 Likes

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Petbuk122(m): 7:41am On Aug 08, 2017
Unwanted messages and Mtn be like water and fish
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by abescom: 7:41am On Aug 08, 2017
I have used that code many times and still get silly messages especially when waiting for a credit alert.

3 Likes

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by wintersnow(m): 7:41am On Aug 08, 2017
AryaSand:

Have you noticed that those evil messages pop up more when you're expecting a Credit Alert?
"Send XYZ to ABC to win 7million naira"

Lmao ah swear grin
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by supereagle(m): 7:41am On Aug 08, 2017
Thank God we can stop it.
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by LUGBE: 7:44am On Aug 08, 2017
Please can someone explain the procedure to deactivate such annoying messages.

The 2442 to what.. ...thanks
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by maggilove(f): 7:45am On Aug 08, 2017
They come in when you are expecting money alert.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Coolgent(m): 7:46am On Aug 08, 2017
buygala:
I heard the DND service also blocks the receipt of other bulk SMS services, including Bank alerts sad

Please those who have activated the service should help confirm or refute this please smiley
It only allowed bank alert but stopped all other sms alert excluded service providers sms

1 Like

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by SilvanusII(m): 7:46am On Aug 08, 2017
Only to realise that true messages cannot come in, but NuVu messages can just as well. I had to plead and cry and finally change mobile numbers when the code from google to activate my mail wasn't coming in. Did they answer? Of course not. Wehdone airtel

1 Like

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Shortyy(f): 7:47am On Aug 08, 2017
buygala:

It's not true. I've done it and I still receive bank alerts

1 Like

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Rapwiz(m): 7:47am On Aug 08, 2017
P cheesy
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Bisjosh(f): 7:47am On Aug 08, 2017
The mesages dont make sense most times
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by buygala(m): 7:47am On Aug 08, 2017
Coolgent:

It only allowed bank alert but stopped all other sms alert excluded service providers sms

Haa... So no Job interview, Owambe alerts and other important bulk SMS alerts from sources other then the service provider sad

Nigerians are really being toyed around with angry

1 Like

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by omonla10(m): 7:49am On Aug 08, 2017
LUGBE:

Stop to 2442
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Coolgent(m): 7:49am On Aug 08, 2017
LUGBE:

Oga dont try it o.
It will block all bulk sms except service providers and bank alert sms. But if u insist send the word STOP to 2442
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by cathodekazim: 7:51am On Aug 08, 2017
i used.sometimes last yr

but someppl still call me tht i don't respond to their text messages which i don't always receive. DND has a grt disadvantage
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by goliprospe(m): 7:52am On Aug 08, 2017
I am definitely among the 6.5m, these network providers can disturb with unnecessary messages

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by buygala(m): 7:52am On Aug 08, 2017
Shortyy:

It's not true. I've done it and I still receive bank alerts

Thanks smiley

But please do you still receive bulk SMS from sources other than your bank and the service provider?
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by olayinkajnr(m): 7:54am On Aug 08, 2017
I didn't activate it. I still need those Job invites to come in

1 Like

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Shortyy(f): 7:55am On Aug 08, 2017
buygala:

Thanks smiley

But please do you still receive bulk SMS from sources other than your bank and the service provider?
No
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by sirfemoz(m): 7:56am On Aug 08, 2017
Send PARTIAL to 2442 to select the specific SMS you don't want and the ones you want. For those arguing about it stopping bulk SMS
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by aidymike(f): 7:59am On Aug 08, 2017
Those network people can b annoying esp.wen u r in school ND expecting bank alert.You will hear your phone ring,u will run ND go there,behold it's network people
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Youngzedd(m): 8:00am On Aug 08, 2017
Never ACTIVATE this rubbish. If you enter, you're in for life. You cannot option out, even after sending ALLOW 100 times.

I have been fighting with MTN to remove this, even got NCC involve in the case, still not receiving messages sent via bulk SMS and other third party. MTN claims it has been deactivated but still not working.

When you will know what DND is will be when you want to do password reset on foreign website.

DND in Nigeria is pathetic and it should be scrap out.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:01am On Aug 08, 2017
Please someone should help me with 419mobile(Etisalat) DND code
Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by hardon1(m): 8:03am On Aug 08, 2017
the wayo there is that MTN in particular did not stop their own personal distrubance messages, users of bulk sms service are the one who sufffer this.

i will not advice any job seeker or serious business person to disable dnd. you may end up missing important infomations. it will cost you less than 0.0001 joules of energy to delete an unwanted message when they appear on your phone

3 Likes

Re: 6.5m Nigerians Activate DND Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS by STUPUDTHEISTS: 8:09am On Aug 08, 2017
Why kill yourself over stupid ineffectual DND when you can simply use a call/SMS blocker to bar those unwanted numbers. SMS blocker is a life saver. Coming from someone who's seen hell with service providers spams.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Galaxy Note 2 Videos And Picture Gallery / Blackberry IMEI Generator Android App Developed By Codeberg / Android Vs. Iphone: What You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.