Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,047 members, 7,835,537 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria (3938 Views)

Army Inflict Heavy Damage On Boko Haram As Insurgents Flee,abandon Weapons(pics) / Rats Damage President Buhari's Office - Garba Shehu / The Damage Effect Of Akpajo-eleme Road In Rivers State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Opakan2: 1:24pm On Aug 12, 2017
Tribalism started in Igboland, take it or leave it.. look at how backward the region is today due to tribalism.

What you're witnessing now is awareness and exposure of the average igbo man lifestyle all thanks to social media and technology.

The eras of "I before others" and "dominate others in their lands" are long over. Wake up and smell the coffee

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 1:39pm On Aug 12, 2017
obailala:
Like I said before, tribalism can only be solved by sensible leadership and maturity from the people being led. The current wave of tribalism and religious discrimination which reached a peak since 2015 was ignited by politician. When a politician in search of votes denigrates other tribes in order to force his tribesmen to vote him, he sows a seed of discord in the minds of the people which he is unable to uproot even after he has won and gotten into office. Left to the ordinary man on the streets, he doesn't care when he associates with other common men from other tribes in the market, the discord is usually fuelled by leaders.

I must draw it to your attention once again that separating a country is never a solution to tribalism because you might just have to divide and divide and divide like a thousand times even down to family level and you'd realise the problem still isn't solved. I do not know much about the Yoruba nation, but telling you don't have internal segregations would be a bloody lie. Creating a Yoruba only nation would only amplify the internal tribal/religious/cultural boundaries which exists within.
A leader does not have to make tribalistic statements before he gets support from his tribesmen. The leaders you accuse are products of the society that you and i were raised. We are all tribalistic and this is fact! There is nothing wrong with that though if you ask me. Tribalism is one's love for his tribe. Tribalism is same with patriotism.
If as a Yorubaman, i contest for presidency against an Igboman, i dont need to make hate speeches against Igbos before i get the trust of my people. I also do not need anybody to tell me the Igbo man will defeat me in his land.
Tribalism is not caused by leaders.
Tribalism is Nature.

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

A leader does not have to make tribalistic statements before he gets support from his tribesmen. The leaders you accuse are products of the society that you and i were raised. We are all tribalistic and this is fact! There is nothing wrong with that though if you ask me. Tribalism is one's love for his tribe. Tribalism is same with patriotism.
If as a Yorubaman, i contest for presidency against an Igboman, i dont need to make hate speeches against Igbos before i get the trust of my people. I also do not need anybody to tell me the Igbo man will defeat me in his land.
Tribalism is Nature.
It may be caused by nature, but it is the duty of leaders to wisely tone down its destructive effects. In 1999, Nigeria was not up to a tenth as tribally and religiously divided as it is today. Are you then suggesting that human nature has evolved between 1999 and 2017?... The answer is a blatant NO! Tribalism has increased in geometric proportions over the years because of the diabolic greed and ineptitude of leaders who directly promote it for their self interests. If that greed and ineptitude is not tackled, even if you divide Nigeria into 1000 parts, each of those 1000 constituent parts would still have the same elements of destructive tribalism.

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2017
obailala:
Like I said before, tribalism can only be solved by sensible leadership and maturity from the people being led. The current wave of tribalism and religious discrimination which reached a peak since 2015 was ignited by politician. When a politician in search of votes denigrates other tribes in order to force his tribesmen to vote him, he sows a seed of discord in the minds of the people which he is unable to uproot even after he has won and gotten into office. Left to the ordinary man on the streets, he doesn't care when he associates with other common men from other tribes in the market, the discord is usually fuelled by leaders.

I must draw it to your attention once again that separating a country is never a solution to tribalism because you might just have to divide and divide and divide like a thousand times even down to family level and you'd realise the problem still isn't solved. I do not know much about the Yoruba nation, but telling you don't have internal segregations would be a bloody lie. Creating a Yoruba only nation would only amplify the internal tribal/religious/cultural boundaries which exists within.
The man needs to be educated further about tribalism even in(among) yoruba tribes.

The Ife and Modakeke war isn't too distant in recent history.

There is currently tribal war between 2yoruba comunities of Kwara state in Erinkle village. that clash has claimed lives.

There is also constant clash between Ofa and Erinle also in Kwara state even though both communities speak same language and ve same culture..
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by jahsharon: 2:20pm On Aug 12, 2017
Nbote:

How will tribalism not persist in a multicultural society like Nigeria when only one tribe and region wants to continually b at d helm of affairs and always want to have things their way...

You are .. .... What about the tribe that was in government for 6 years and for the period looted and shared our resources more than past looters ever did? Politics is a game of numbers, bring forth your candidate, contest elections and the winner leads the country.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:24pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Tribalism is Nature.
Forget it, tribalism is not nature.

tribalism is local.
hence Africa continues irredeemably on its way to backwardness.

tribal attachment brings nothing gudto the table.
Breeds hate and nepotism.
I detest tribalism
and I hate pple who promote it
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 2:32pm On Aug 12, 2017
obailala:
It may be caused by nature, but it is the duty of leaders to wisely tone down its destructive effects. In 1999, Nigeria was not up to a tenth as tribally and religiously divided as it is today. Are you then suggesting that human nature has evolved between 1999 and 2017?... The answer is a blatant NO! Tribalism has increased in geometric proportions over the years because of the diabolic greed and ineptitude of leaders who directly promote it for their self interests. If that greed and ineptitude is not tackled, even if you divide Nigeria into 1000 parts, each of those 1000 constituent parts would still have the same elements of destructive tribalism.
Why will the leaders try to promote tribalism if we are united? This does not make sense to me. If we are united, then the leaders will not have to use our disunity to their advantage.
Yes you are right. We have stereotypes in Yorubaland, but they wont be as worse as Nigeria's. We Yorubas speak same language, practice same culture, originate from same ancestors, bear same names e.t.c
You cant eradicate tribalism in Nigeria.
We are Naturally not united.
We must accept this
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 2:34pm On Aug 12, 2017
NOETHNICITY:
The man needs to be educated further about tribalism even in(among) yoruba tribes.

The Ife and Modakeke war isn't too distant in recent history.

There is currently tribal war between 2yoruba comunities Kwara state in Wrinkle village. that clash has claimed lives.

There is also constant clash between Ofa and Erinle also in Kwara state even though both communities speak same and ve same culture..
Absolutely! Even within the same state, people not only discriminate each other, but they even go ahead to murder each other, yet someone thinks the ultimate solution to tribalism is separating big tribes from each other and not good leadership.

If an Ife man feels reluctant to employ a Modakeke man in his office, that's already clear tribal or should I say, community discrimination.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 2:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Why will the leaders try to promote tribalism if we are united? This does not make sense to me. If we are united, then the leaders will not have to use our disunity to their advantage.
Yes you are right. We have stereotypes in Yorubaland, but they wont be as worse as Nigeria's. We Yorubas speak same language, practice same culture, originate from same ancestors, bear same names e.t.c
You cant eradicate tribalism in Nigeria.
We are Naturally not united.
We must accept this
And who do you think should promote and ensure that unity if not the leaders?... Who do you even think creates and fuels that disunity if not for the same greedy diabolic self centred leaders?... The leaders always blame 'the other tribe' as the source of the problems when addressing their people; as long as these leaders aren't checked, even when you split the country into 100 parts, the same leaders woupd still find a way of blaming the other tribe/group/region/state/LGA etc and they still promote the same disunity even on a micro level.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2017
NOETHNICITY:
Forget it, tribalism is not nature.

tribalism is local.
hence Africa continues irredeemably on its way to backwardness.

tribal attachment brings nothing gudto the table.
Breeds hate and nepotism.
I detest tribalism
and I hate pple who promote it
People dont promote tribalism. Tribalism is nature. Why are European countries not diverse like African's? This is because they want to reduce tribalism, hate, nepostism and promote peace and prosperity. European countries are split through ethnic lines
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

People dont promote tribalism. Tribalism is nature. Why are European countries not diverse like African's? This is because they want to reduce tribalism, hate, nepostism and promote peace and prosperity. European countries are split through ethnic lines
who told you European countries are perfectly split along ethnic lines?
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2017
obailala:
And who do you think should promote and ensure that unity if not the leaders?... Who do you even think creates and fuels that disunity if not for the same greedy diabolic self centred leaders?... The leaders currently throw up 'the other tribe' as the source of the problems when addressing their people; as long as these leaders aren't checked, even when you split the country into 100 parts, the same leaders woupd still find a way of blaming the other tribe/group/region/state/LGA etc and they still promote the same disunity even on a micro level.
Leader cannot promote unity. The society can. Nigeria has never been united since its creation. We only deceive ourselves about "one Nigeria". If we are one, we would not need to say it. I have never heard of "one Yoruba" before.
It is high time we face reality and stop deceiving ourselves.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 2:58pm On Aug 12, 2017
obailala:
who told you European countries are perfectly split along ethnic lines?
Many European countries are split along ethnic lines. Germany and Austrians are same Germans. Italy, Norway, Iceland, Greece, Malta, Poland. Czech republic, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, ireland e.t.c Even the uk is split along ethnic lines. England for English people, northern Ireland for Irish people, wales for welsh Ethnic.
So yeah, most European countries are either mono-ethnic or have one ethnic making up about 90 percent of the population. Some Asian countries are also like this
Yoruba, Igbos, and Hausas are very large Nations that can survive on their own.

2 Likes

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Leader cannot promote unity. The society can. .....
Huh!?.. And who pilots the affairs and chooses the direction of society?
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 4:10pm On Aug 12, 2017
freshest4live:

A single major religion(at least 70%) would have also helped matters. But if Nigerians can find a way to tolerate one another and work together despite these differences she would be extremely powerful.

A single major religion would only have reduced the friction to an extent, but it would still not stop it in total

Tanzania is 50/50 muslim-christian divided, yet, most Tanzanians value/exhort their national identity over religion. While countries like Kenya, Uganda, Congo, Senegal, Mali, Guinea e.t.c with a single major religion are having serious issues of tribalism.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 4:32pm On Aug 12, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
I think our Leaders know these things but choose not to do them. This is not an extraordinary thought. The thing is, making peace and achieving justice is more difficult than war and injustice. The problem will never disappear until they confront it. They know this and like the true cowards they are, they choose the easy route.

But why should we destroy and eliminate our identities to form the Nigerian identity? Was that what Europe did to become the most civilized continent? Why should I respect the creation of a thief who came into my fathers' homes, broke down their doors, stole their properties and forced another man he raped to live with them? Isn't it neocolonialism to assume that such unholy creation must not be defiled?

I think it is slavish to assume we are indissoluble. It's nonsense! I've seen so called panafricans in this forum, who loathe the British for what they did to us, dismiss the idea of referendum as nonsense. A person believes the British did us evil and all they created was for their benefit. But this same person can't see that Nigeria is one of such creations.

Nigeria must be renegotiated. I have no problem with Tribalism. My problem is with stupidity. Tribalism is simply ones love for their tribe and there is nothing wrong with that. We don't insult a man for loving his family more than his neighbours. We don't try to destroy a man's love for their country. We don't try to take away the cord that binds two friends because we assume their friendship is cancerous to our survival. That's how I see tribalism.
deedeedee1:

Ban ethnicity? You are the dumbest person i have known on Nairaland. Why should i let go of my pride because of a country created by the British? You are a big fool for writing nonsense!
Did i see you write African Nations? Can you list any country in Africa today that is qualified to be called a Nation?
The only way to stop tribalism is to let people who share same culture, language to live as one.
Simple!

You guys misintepreted my comment to an extent, especially deedeedee1. I am in no way advocating for the continued monolithic existence of Nigeria. All i am trying to stress is the fact that we cannot eat our cakes and have it. Sometimes in life, you must drop one thing in order to pick up another.

There is no way Nationality and Ethnicity/religion can be equally promoted in a country. One must superceed the other and one must be strengthened over the weakness of the other.

Nigerians must decide which system we are ready to work with and stick with it. We cannot be claiming we do not want tribalism in Nigeria and at the same time be promoting Ethnicity and Ethnic pride. It can never work that way.

Look at Northern Nigeria today, It is more united than Southern Nigeria, and why is this so? This is simply because Northerners promoted Arewa identity (regional identity) over individual Ethnic identities and it worked perfectly for them and made them the giant of Nigeria.

You can never or hardly find anything like 'Hausa women union, Kanuri students group, Fulani youth association'. NO, all you find is 'Arewa this and Arewa that'. This is why tribalism and tribal politics/discrimination is almost non-existent in the north (core-north) especially.

Kano is a Hausa state, but a Nupe man from Niger state has been the governor, A kanuri man from Borno has been the governor, a fulani has been the governor. Can this happen in Southern Nigeria? Hell NO!
But the expense of this is that a lot of Northerners have lost their ethnic prides, cultures and traditions and many northern languages are going extinct to Hausa.

This is my point. You cannot eat your cake and have it.

Nigerians need to negotiate and redefine what we want.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by NOETHNICITY(m): 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Another nonsense! You cant eradicate tribalism in an ethnically diverse country. It is not possible.
Let Yoruba, Igbos, and Hausa live apart.
What do u plan to do with the Ijaws in the oil rich part of Ondo, Ogun and Lagos?
For ur info the Ijaws ve already rejected to live under any form of oduduwa republic.
I hope u know this?
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by mikolo80: 5:42pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Bullshiit!
you know
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 6:45pm On Aug 12, 2017
NOETHNICITY:
What do u plan to do with the Ijaws in the oil rich part of Ondo, Ogun and Lagos?
For ur info the Ijaws ve already rejected to live under any form of oduduwa republic.
I hope u know this?
Ijaws are not indigenes of Ogun, Lagos, and Ondo. So i give no ffuuckk about them

2 Likes

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 7:18pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Another nonsense! You cant eradicate tribalism in an ethnically diverse country. It is not possible.
Let Yoruba, Igbos, and Hausa live apart.

Seriously, why are you behaving like a bitter teenager? Can't you speak in a mature manner void of sentimental/emotional outburst?

Tribalism can be eradicated in an ethnically diverse country, yes, it happened in Tanzania. It also is the case in much of Northern Nigeria.
If religion, regionalism or Nationality is promoted over ethnicity, watch tribalism die a natural death.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2017
obailala:

1. Nigeria isnt the only ethnically diverse country.
2. Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are not the only tribes in Nigeria (just incase you have forgotten).

Leadership wisdom and maturity are the only things that can kill tribalism. If you seperate Biafra today (i.e. the old Biafra which includes Efik, Ibibio, Ikom, Ogoja, Annang, Calabari, Ikwerre, Anioma, Okrika, Izon, Ndoni etc.), without leadership wisdom and maturity on the part of the people, the menace of tribalism will still be fully blown; only difference is that the central Igbos would then be the biggest oppressors of the other over 50 tribes and there would be no other big tribes (i.e. Yoruba + Hausa) to 'compete' with the Igbos.

Even within the 5 states of the SE which have a fairly homogeneous language, we still actively see a lot of tribal/regional segregation. Was it not Abia state which sacked and refused to employ Imo and Anambra indigenes?... I had a lecturer in FUTO (a federal uni) who after decades of academic service, couldnt receive his professorships purely because he couldn't fit into the Imo state politics within the school (which at the time was even dominated by the Mbaise clique). Poor lecturer had to go back to his state's newly launched uni then (Anambra start uni at Uli) to work as part time, and that was where he eventually got his professorships. Similar story happened to my uncle who couldnt get his due promotions at Abia state university simply because he was from Imo. It took him to move to Imo state uni before he could get his due rights. You think that is not the same as tribalism?

Should I even start talking of the segregation within Imo state where some groups swore they would never let any Mbaise person smell Douglas house?... and of course, Mbaise people have been wailing over this issue for ages including during the last Ihedioha election which could have broken the trend.

What am I saying in essence?... Tribalism doesnt end with just Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo as so many people myopically view it. The moment you break those 3 apart, you'll then realise that within each group, there are still hundreds of subgroups that would still perpetuate the tribalism nonsense.

Once again, leadership wisdom and maturity from the people are the only things that can end tribalism; and not endless separations. You can keep calling it nonsense because you want secession (i.e. no more yoruba and hausa competition), but it doesnt still make your position the sensible one.

Thank you very much. Deedeedee1 appears like someone who cannot face facts and reality juxtaposed together.

Yorubas, Igbos or Hausas may appear as one on the national level, but on the local level, they have their own internal difference, which if not curtailed could even be worse than the outside differences.

I am not a Nationalist or 'One Nigerianist', but i know that even if you give the Igbos or Yorubas their own seperate countries, they would still have to promote the same Nationalism or the Pan Igbo/yoruba ethnic identity in order to make their respective nations undivided. If not, within a short time, tribalism will instantly begin among the Subgroups. Ijebu people may start claiming superiority over others. We can see the bitter rivalry between Egba and Ijebu people in Ogun state. Muslims and traditionalists who almost clashed violently in Osun state. Ife vs Modakeke.
In Igbo land, the same thing. Nkanu vs Nsukka people in Enugu state, Aguleri vs Umuleri in Anambra, Izzi-Ezza clashes in Ebonyi, Ngwa against Others in Abia state. Abia state govt sacking all Imo state indigenes.

So, we are still saying the same thing. The most politically unstable and chaotic African nation (aside S. Sudan), Somalia, is a mono ethnic and mono religious nation, guess what divides them? Clannism! Some clans claim to be superior to other clans inspite of the fact that they are one same ethnicity, religion, ancestry and what have you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 7:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

We dont have to be the only ethnically diverse country before we know the damage it has and will cause us in the nearest future. Yoruba, Igbos, and Hausas are very large nations that can survive on their own.

Then pls, start the radical evangelism of seperatism to your own people. Yorubas are one of the biggest supporters of One Nigeria, especially the yoruba muslims. Ranting on nairaland is not enough. 90% of yorubas still prefer one Nigeria.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 7:42pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Many European countries are split along ethnic lines. Germany and Austrians are same Germans. Italy, Norway, Iceland, Greece, Malta, Poland. Czech republic, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, ireland e.t.c Even the uk is split along ethnic lines. England for English people, northern Ireland for Irish people, wales for welsh Ethnic.
So yeah, most European countries are either mono-ethnic or have one ethnic making up about 90 percent of the population. Some Asian countries are also like this
Yoruba, Igbos, and Hausas are very large Nations that can survive on their own.

What about Switzerland & Belgium? Are they mono-ethnic? NO, yet they are even more peaceful and progressive than most mono-ethnic European nations.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 7:53pm On Aug 12, 2017
Nowenuse:

Seriously, why are you behaving like a bitter teenager? Can't you speak in a mature manner void of sentimental/emotional outburst?

Tribalism can be eradicated in an ethnically diverse country, yes, it happened in Tanzania. It also is the case in much of Northern Nigeria.
If religion, regionalism or Nationality is promoted over ethnicity, watch tribalism die a natural death.
You cannot promote Nationalism over tribalism. Tribalism is someone's love for his/her tribe. Why do you keep mentioning Tanzania? What about other African countries? Lols! Northern Nigeria? You are joking right? The North only seem united because(1) Hausas are the only largest ethnic group unlike the south where we have 2
(2) They are united for two things which are Crude oil and access to sea! They know that without the south, things will not go easy for them.
The north are not united in anyway. You have not heard of the crises betweed the Tivs and Fulanis? What of Kanuri's boko haram?
You cant promote Nationality above someone else's native language and culture. If it was that easy, then Nigeria would have suceeded. Even the Hausas that shout "one Nigeria" everywhere wont encourage such bullshhit!
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2017
Nowenuse:

What about Switzerland & Belgium? Are they mono-ethnic? NO, yet they are even more peaceful and progressive than most mono-ethnic European nations.
Belgium is not monoethnic but the indigenous french and dutch speaking tribes do not like themselves. They have been able to caution themselves a little due to
(1) The two tribes have big brothers in seperate nations.
(2) There are just three ethnic groups in Belgium namely: (a) French making up 30 percent of the country, (b) Dutch ethnic making up 58-60 percent of the country, (c) German ethnic making up 1 percent.
The French and Dutch speaking people dont get along

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Ilemona93(m): 8:39pm On Aug 12, 2017
If tribalism and religious sentiment can be erase from this country will be Number best country in d world
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:46pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Ijaws are not indigenes of Ogun, Lagos, and Ondo. So i give no ffuuckk about them
what is this one even saying?
Are u u so ignorant?
Why am I even exchanging opinion with u.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2017
Nowenuse:

Thank you very much. Deedeedee1 appears like someone who cannot face facts and reality juxtaposed together.

Yorubas, Igbos or Hausas may appear as one on the national level, but on the local level, they have their own internal difference, which if not curtailed could even be worse than the outside differences.

I am not a Nationalist or 'One Nigerianist', but i know that even if you give the Igbos or Yorubas their own seperate countries, they would still have to promote the same Nationalism or the Pan Igbo/yoruba ethnic identity in order to make their respective nations undivided. If not, within a short time, tribalism will instantly begin among the Subgroups. Ijebu people may start claiming superiority over others. We can see the bitter rivalry between Egba and Ijebu people in Ogun state. Muslims and traditionalists who almost clashed violently in Osun state. Ife vs Modakeke.
In Igbo land, the same thing. Nkanu vs Nsukka people in Enugu state, Aguleri vs Umuleri in Anambra, Izzi-Ezza clashes in Ebonyi, Ngwa against Others in Abia state. Abia state govt sacking all Imo state indigenes.

So, we are still saying the same thing. The most politically unstable and chaotic African nation (aside S. Sudan), Somalia, is a mono ethnic and mono religious nation, guess what divides them? Clannism! Some clans claim to be superior to other clans inspite of the fact that they are one same ethnicity, religion, ancestry and what have you.
God bless you very well for this. I could never had said it better. I just find it ridiculous when people keep proffering balkanisation of the nation as the 'only' solution to tribalism and the nepotism that comes with it. My common sense tells me that when you eliminate tribal differences, then we will all realise how strong the division which exists along clannish lines also is. And until we tackle the real problem which is a lack of responsible leadership, we would just keep splitting and splitting every nation until we get down to even the family level.

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Demmzy15(m): 9:06pm On Aug 12, 2017
Nowenuse:

Then pls, start the radical evangelism of seperatism to your own people. Yorubas are one of the biggest supporters of One Nigeria, especially the yoruba muslims. Ranting on nairaland is not enough. 90% of yorubas still prefer one Nigeria.
Who made you the spokesperson for Yoruba Muslims? Virtually all the Yoruba Muslims I know on Nairaland are of the opinion that Nigeria should split, not because of hate or selfishness but for the greater good. I'm always annoyed when you guys make annoying rhetorics like "especially Yoruba Muslims"

**spits **

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:56pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Tribalism is Nature.

Tribalism might be nature
But Tribal bigotry is not.

And one thing too, nature can be abused.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by omohayek: 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
Demmzy15:
Who made you the spokesperson for Yoruba Muslims? Virtually all the Yoruba Muslims I know on Nairaland are of the opinion that Nigeria should split, not because of hate or selfishness but for the greater good. I'm always annoyed when you guys make annoying rhetorics like "especially Yoruba Muslims"

**spits **
You're wasting your time even attempting to rebut these sorts of cretins, who need to have imaginary enemies at hand to "explain" away all their failures and frustrations in life. "Yoruba Muslim" just happens to be a compounding of the two groups these hate-filled imbeciles fear the most.

Personally, I think one of the best arguments for the splitting up of Nigeria is the relentless idiotic bleatings of the cretins whose every response to criticism is to scream "Afonja"; at least then one could get rid of these nuisances once and for all, while they would have to find new scapegoats for their personal failures once they no longer had "Afonjas" and "Yoruba Muslims" close at hand to blame for all their setbacks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 10:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Tribalism might be nature But Tribal bigotry is not.
And one thing too, nature can be abused.
What has being a tribal bigot got to do with the topic?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Won But Nigeria Lost . / As FG Moves To Recoup Budget Support Loans / Governor Zulums Convoy Under Attack The Third Time In A Row

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.