Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,043 members, 7,835,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria (3937 Views)

Army Inflict Heavy Damage On Boko Haram As Insurgents Flee,abandon Weapons(pics) / Rats Damage President Buhari's Office - Garba Shehu / The Damage Effect Of Akpajo-eleme Road In Rivers State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 10:40pm On Aug 12, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Tribalism might be nature But Tribal bigotry is not.
And one thing too, nature can be abused.
What has being a tribal bigot got to do with the topic?

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:24am On Aug 13, 2017
deedeedee1:

Tribalism leads to Tribal bigotry
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by haffaze777(m): 7:40am On Aug 13, 2017
Demmzy15:
Who made you the spokesperson for Yoruba Muslims? Virtually all the Yoruba Muslims I know on Nairaland are of the opinion that Nigeria should split, not because of hate or selfishness but for the greater good. I'm always annoyed when you guys make annoying rhetorics like "especially Yoruba Muslims"

**spits **
u shouldn't have reply wawa jew
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by freshest4live: 9:38am On Aug 13, 2017
deedeedee1:

That is the summary of the topic itself, "The damage a tribal bigot can exert".
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by freshest4live: 9:49am On Aug 13, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Tribalism leads to Tribal bigotry
I think there's a way to appreciate your culture, tribe, or roots, while appreciating and falling in love with some other cultures. Unhealthy rivalries, bigotry or hatred for other tribes is what l have a problem against.
What are those qualities in other tribes or cultures you wished was a part of your tribe? In the spirit of one Nigeria we can then not only learn from the positive aspects and cultures of other tribes but also share in them, we are opportuned to share in this diversity.
This is why some foreigners see Nigeria as the most interesting place in Africa. If we can work together, we could strengthen one another by exalting our nation as the platform that binds us together above all.
If the masses can come together this way, then we can unite against the elites and politicians who benefit most from our division.

My point in summary, is not that we completely downplay our various tribes or fail to take pride in them, but that we love the nation above all.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:42am On Aug 13, 2017
freshest4live:

I think there's a way to appreciate your culture, tribe, or roots, while appreciating and falling in love with some other cultures. Unhealthy rivalries, bigotry or hatred for other tribes is what l have a problem against.
What are those qualities in other tribes or cultures you wished was a part of your tribe? In the spirit of one Nigeria we can then not only learn from the positive aspects and cultures of other tribes but also share in them, we are opportuned to share in this diversity.
This is why some foreigners see Nigeria as the most interesting place in Africa. If we can work together, we could strengthen one another by exalting our nation as the platform that binds us together above all.
If the masses can come together this way, then we can unite against the elites and politicians who benefit most from our division.

My point in summary, is not that we completely downplay our various tribes or fail to take pride in them, but that we love the nation above all.

Religion also leads to religious fanaticism, religious intolerance and religious bigotry.
Is religion in itself bad? No.
Tribalism is not bad, as it is a show of passion of one's roots, but once negativity enters it, it becomes bad.
The problem is when people see this negative passion picking pace and keep quiet because it won't affect them, gradually like a fire it starts to consume them.
So Tribalism in itself might not be bad, but when it starts being a tool for, oppression, suppression, favourism and other vices it becomes an issue.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:15pm On Aug 13, 2017
Demmzy15:
Who made you the spokesperson for Yoruba Muslims? Virtually all the Yoruba Muslims I know on Nairaland are of the opinion that Nigeria should split, not because of hate or selfishness but for the greater good. I'm always annoyed when you guys make annoying rhetorics like "especially Yoruba Muslims"

**spits **

Are you just talking for talking sake or what?

Read the opinion of your people (mostly yoruba muslims) on facebook below in this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/3961021/yorubas-react-yolicom-call-oduduwa

Only on Nairaland we see empty invisible yorubas who claim not to want one Nigeria, but in reality, it's something else.

Spits catarrh back!
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2017
deedeedee1:

Belgium is not monoethnic but the indigenous french and dutch speaking tribes do not like themselves. They have been able to caution themselves a little due to
(1) The two tribes have big brothers in seperate nations.
(2) There are just three ethnic groups in Belgium namely: (a) French making up 30 percent of the country, (b) Dutch ethnic making up 58-60 percent of the country, (c) German ethnic making up 1 percent.
The French and Dutch speaking people dont get along

They do not get along, then how come their nation is still very peaceful and progressive than many other mono-ethnic European nations?
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:40pm On Aug 13, 2017
deedeedee1:

You cannot promote Nationalism over tribalism. Tribalism is someone's love for his/her tribe. Why do you keep mentioning Tanzania? What about other African countries? Lols! Northern Nigeria? You are joking right? The North only seem united because(1) Hausas are the only largest ethnic group unlike the south where we have 2
(2) They are united for two things which are Crude oil and access to sea! They know that without the south, things will not go easy for them.
The north are not united in anyway. You have not heard of the crises betweed the Tivs and Fulanis? What of Kanuri's boko haram?
You cant promote Nationality above someone else's native language and culture. If it was that easy, then Nigeria would have suceeded. Even the Hausas that shout "one Nigeria" everywhere wont encourage such bullshhit!

I keep on mentioning Tanzania because Nationality was radically promoted over tribe there with Swahili as the unifying language and culture for all tribes and it worked perfectly well.
Today in Tanzania, tribal differences are extinct, even though they have up to 50 tribes there, they all see themselves as one. Tribe means nothing to them, anyone trying to promote tribalism there is virtually seen as a mad person. So, it is very possible for Nationalism to be promoted over tribalism, if the right steps are taken.

I said the North is united (the core-north especially) and not really the entire middlebelt. well, let me say northern muslims. Your claims to core-northern unity of oil holds no water because the region was united before oil was discovered.
It's also not about Hausa being the single majority group. Igbos were also the single majority group of the old Eastern region, but why is there no strong bond btw the Igbos and other Eastern minorities? I think this was simply because the Igbos failed to radically promote regionalism and regional identity unlike the way the Northerners radically promoted Arewa.

Is Kanuri boko haram a tribal issue? Nawa for you o.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 1:52pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nowenuse:

They do not get along, then how come their nation is still very peaceful and progressive than many other mono-ethnic European nations?
List the mono-ethnic European nations
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 1:57pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nowenuse:

I keep on mentioning Tanzania because Nationality was radically promoted over tribe there with Swahili as the unifying language and culture for all tribes and it worked perfectly well.
Today in Tanzania, tribal differences are extinct, even though they have up to 50 tribes there, they all see themselves as one. Tribe means nothing to them, anyone trying to promote tribalism there is virtually seen as a mad person. So, it is very possible for Nationalism to be promoted over tribalism, if the right steps are taken.

I said the North is united (the core-north especially) and not really the entire middlebelt. well, let me say northern muslims. Your claims to core-northern unity of oil holds no water because the region was united before oil was discovered.
It's also not about Hausa being the single majority group. Igbos were also the single majority group of the old Eastern region, but why is there no strong bond btw the Igbos and other Eastern minorities? I think this was simply because the Igbos failed to radically promote regionalism and regional identity unlike the way the Northerners radically promoted Arewa.

Is Kanuri boko haram a tribal issue? Nawa for you o.
How many tribes are in the core north? Have you been to North to know that they are peaceful there?
See mr, i am a Yoruba man and i am not ready to let go of my culture, Language, and tradition because of a British experiment caled Niger-Area.
I will rather will Yorubas leave Nigeria and develop at our pace.

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 2:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
Ilemona93:
If tribalism and religious sentiment can be erase from this country will be Number best country in d world
Ala nla leyi
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2017
deedeedee1:

List the mono-ethnic European nations

No, i think you should list the European nations that are more progressive and peaceful than Belgium and Switzerland! (Apart from Scandinavian countries).
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 2:22pm On Aug 13, 2017
deedeedee1:

How many tribes are in the core north? Have you been to North to know that they are peaceful there?
See mr, i am a Yoruba man and i am not ready to let go of my culture, Language, and tradition because of a British experiment caled Niger-Area.
I will rather will Yorubas leave Nigeria and develop at our pace.

Yes i have been to the core-north and speak Hausa fluently.

There are many tribes in the core-north, you just haven't heard of them. Yobe state alone has at least 10 tribes, likewise Kebbi state.

I am not asking you to give up your culture for Nigeria. That would be for all Nigerians to decide.

And try to do more of the seccession preaching to your yoruba muslims, cos youruba muslims are among the strongest One Nigerianists.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by motherfucker: 2:35pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nowenuse:

And this is the bitter truth. The only way African nations can stop or fight tribalism is by officially banning every promotion of Ethnicity, Ethnic unions, festivals e.t.c.

This was exactly what Nyerere did in Tanzania that today tribalism is non-existent in Tanzania. Almost all Tanzanians today are nationalists, but this had to come at the expense of the extinction of their original native languages and cultures.

No Nigerian will give up their ethnic identity.

The problem is not identity entirely but refusal to carry everyone along. How can a president open his dirty mouth and call some people 97% and other 5%? How can he authorize the killing of Shia muslim, how can he embark on attack of Tompolo and co when he knows the repercussions...

GEJ on the other hand only took boko haram serious when it became apparent that he may lost the election. He opened his silly mouth and said stealing is not corruption and so many other vices that he spearheaded.

If you give me a chance, it's best these elites be executed. The true hero of this country is one willing to kill all of them one by one, kill every member of their cult, wether from PDP camp or APC camp...kill everyone who controls this country and watch normalcy engulf the entire country... that is the only way to reset the country.

Any other thing, na rubbish.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 2:43pm On Aug 13, 2017
motherfucker:

No Nigerian will give up their ethnic identity.

The problem is not identity entirely but refusal to carry everyone along. How can a president open his dirty mouth and call some people 97% and other 5%? How can he authorize the killing of Shia muslim, how can he embark on attack of Tompolo and co when he knows the repercussions...

GEJ on the other hand only took boko haram serious when it became apparent that he may lost the election. He opened his silly mouth and said stealing is not corruption and so many other vices that he spearheaded.

If you give me a chance, it's best these elites be executed. The true hero of this country is one willing to kill all of them one by one, kill every member of their cult, wether from PDP camp or APC camp...kill everyone who controls this country and watch normalcy engulf the entire country... that is the only way to reset the country.

Any other thing, na rubbish.
No bro, killing the leaders will change nothing. Let me ask you a question and i want you to be sincere with you answer. If you are given the opportunity to lead your state, will you embezzle money or not?
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 2:50pm On Aug 13, 2017
Nowenuse:

No, i think you should list the European nations that are more progressive and peaceful than Belgium and Switzerland! (Apart from Scandinavian countries).
There is no country in Europe that is less progressive and peaceful that Belgium and Switzerland. Unless of course you are talking about the terrorist attacks some of them are going through, but those attacks are caused by immigrants.

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 3:06pm On Aug 13, 2017
deedeedee1:

There is no country in Europe that is less progressive and peaceful that Belgium and Switzerland. Unless of course you are talking about the terrorist attacks some of them are going through, but those attacks are caused by immigrants.

Are you sure you know Europe at all? Or do you think Europe begins and ends with Western Europe?

Do you know that some African countries have a higher income per capital than many Eastern European countries?

Can you compare a country like Portugal or Greece to Switzerland?
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Empiree: 3:13pm On Aug 13, 2017
Demmzy15:

**spits **
You have been "spitting" lately. What happened?. You eat too much ewedu or ewe ejeroro? shocked
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Rilwayne001: 3:33pm On Aug 13, 2017
Empiree:
You have been "spitting" lately. What happened?. You eat too much ewedu or ewe ejeroro? shocked

He's pregnant ni grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by motherfucker: 6:11pm On Aug 13, 2017
deedeedee1:

No bro, killing the leaders will change nothing. Let me ask you a question and i want you to be sincere with you answer. If you are given the opportunity to lead your state, will you embezzle money or not?
I will not. You may find it hard to believe because of our long cultural or norms as a society that neglects ethics, transparency.

The reason is simple... I have never been to determined by money that will lead me to taking the wrong path even though I have access to some dangerous information or in circle of men who do dangerous things that can make me filty rich.

When I know people are suffering, why should I embezzle? Based on my knowledge as I am now, there are better ways to make clean money as a government official without stealing. Only people with lack of genuine knowledge and poverty mentality embezzle. That's fact... if you think I am lying, the recurrent execution of same project by every successive government is my evidence.

How can people be drilling borehole in this age and time calling it "project"? Look around you, NOTHING knew is in all the project executed year in year out... at the end the indigenes are even poorer than you met them.

Embezzlement? I laugh in hindu "nehi nehi nehi... nehi"

Dash me 50 million... and I sweat for 1million, I will cherish my 1 million more than the 50Million you gave. That's the mindset I have built... what is mine is mine and what isn't mine, isn't mind.

Besides, I don't worship money the way average Nigerian worship it such they can eat your shiit because you are wealthy... it's all in the mindset brother. Our priorities, emphasis on money is what is destroying this country and it will never stop because we worship money as a nation rather than cutting edge ideas. When people are poor, we mock them, we look down on them... this societal humiliation drive them to do anything to make money, including cheating and stealing.

We created the monster/cancer currently plaguing us as country.

See what a foreigner said when so much noise were waving the net when Linda Ikeji bought her house.
--------------------------------------------
"Same thing I thought! A house in Toronto that goes for 2.5million looks a lot better than this. Maybe it just needs a little touch up. To be sincere and frank I never knew houses in Nigeria could even cost that much. I really do want to ask an honest question though, why does this Linda inspire people? Is it because she’s a great blogger or because she has made money from blogging or because she has a nice personality or admirable character? It’s just a question. I truly intend no offence.

I’m Tanzanian, visited Nigeria a few times and schooled with a lot of Nigerians back in the GTA both high school and UofT. I love their vibe and they are the best people to be around BUT I notice they place so much emphasis on money and materialism. Back in the days when we were in grade 11 and 12, and we wrote essays and articles on inspiration, success and role models, Almost, infact every Nigerians’ role model was on Forbes list or some type of rich list. Their articles always had this tone of underscoring wealth and equating it to success.This character is still very much prevalent. Very different from how I was raised from preschool.Is money the only motivating factor for Nigerians? Is one only successful in your country when they have or make money no matter how legitimate or not? This was supposed to be a question but it has turned into an observation. I hope nobody gets offended, that is not my intent.

I have heard of this lady a few times on some platform and the emphasis of any news concerning her is always how much she’s worth, everytime, either subtly or conspicuously, that is always apparent theme. I’m sure she does other things like volunteering and charity or some other nice civic duty that does not relate to her wealth, but that never makes for traffic in the Nigerian news sphere I guess. The get rich syndrome is what has driven so many Africans not just Nigerians to step on the faces of other Africans just to be at the top and be praised or admired for having made it. A conclusion reached when new bank accounts are opened. A wish her more fulfilling years as a blogger. I hope she uses her platform to get to people if she hasn’t and more people if she has. That is what I was brought up to admire as success and you really don’t need the minty coloured notes to do that. Same for we all. Wanting more is no the problem. On the contrary we all need money one way or another to survive. The problem comes in when that’s an individual’s strive in life.

My comment is just what it is, my opinion. It shouldn’t be taken personally as an affront of any sort."

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will Nigeria March Into Cameroon Like In Gambia....?? / Tinubu Intelligent Interview At NESG / How To Stop 419?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.