Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,846 members, 7,813,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria (3918 Views)

Army Inflict Heavy Damage On Boko Haram As Insurgents Flee,abandon Weapons(pics) / Rats Damage President Buhari's Office - Garba Shehu / The Damage Effect Of Akpajo-eleme Road In Rivers State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Ruthij: 9:44am On Aug 11, 2017
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Igboesika: 9:45am On Aug 11, 2017
Only break up can stop tribalism.

5 Likes

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by madridguy(m): 9:45am On Aug 11, 2017
Ok
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nbote(m): 9:51am On Aug 11, 2017
Ruthij:
[url]https://anastasiaruth.com/2017/06/27/the-damage-tribalism-has-done-to-nigeria/The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria[/url]

How will tribalism not persist in a multicultural society like Nigeria when only one tribe and region wants to continually b at d helm of affairs and always want to have things their way...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Demzy4: 10:11am On Aug 11, 2017
Igboesika:

I totally agree with you

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:47am On Aug 11, 2017
This is what Rwanda did: http://www.mortalpoet.com/what-we-can-learn-from-rwanda/. If we are really interested in staying together that is exactly what we will do. Cut off every promotion of tribal identities. But is that the best thing to do?
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by mikolo80: 2:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
Igboesika:
what of osu caste system, Ife modaKeke,it'seKiri Ijaw ,TiV igbira. See even if you split Nigeria into 774 local govt. Streets will still fight for autonomy. Ordinary family unity no de. We not the system is the problem

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by mikolo80: 2:36pm On Aug 11, 2017
Nbote:

How will tribalism not persist in a multicultural society like Nigeria when only one tribe and region wants to continually b at d helm of affairs and always want to have things their way...
why don't you out vote them
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nbote(m): 2:57pm On Aug 11, 2017
mikolo80:
why don't you out vote them

Becos d other ppl are still busy fighting over whose more relevant and superior...

2 Likes

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Nowenuse: 4:27pm On Aug 11, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
This is what Rwanda did: http://www.mortalpoet.com/what-we-can-learn-from-rwanda/. If we are really interested in staying together that is exactly what we will do. Cut off every promotion of tribal identities. But is that the best thing to do?

And this is the bitter truth. The only way African nations can stop or fight tribalism is by officially banning every promotion of Ethnicity, Ethnic unions, festivals e.t.c.

This was exactly what Nyerere did in Tanzania that today tribalism is non-existent in Tanzania. Almost all Tanzanians today are nationalists, but this had to come at the expense of the extinction of their original native languages and cultures.

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by mikolo80: 5:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
Nbote:

Becos d other ppl are still busy fighting over whose more relevant and superior...
Toh that means we've not suffered properly
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by juman(m): 7:45pm On Aug 11, 2017
Black people cannot rule themselves well.

No sensible leaders.

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by freshest4live: 7:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
Nowenuse:

And this is the bitter truth. The only way African nations can stop or fight tribalism is by officially banning every promotion of Ethnicity, Ethnic unions, festivals e.t.c.

This was exactly what Nyerere did in Tanzania that today tribalism is non-existent in Tanzania. Almost all Tanzanians today are nationalists, but this had to come at the expense of the extinction of their original native languages and cultures.
A single major religion(at least 70%) would have also helped matters. But if Nigerians can find a way to tolerate one another and work together despite these differences she would be extremely powerful.

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:41pm On Aug 11, 2017
Nowenuse:

I think our Leaders know these things but choose not to do them. This is not an extraordinary thought. The thing is, making peace and achieving justice is more difficult than war and injustice. The problem will never disappear until they confront it. They know this and like the true cowards they are, they choose the easy route.

But why should we destroy and eliminate our identities to form the Nigerian identity? Was that what Europe did to become the most civilized continent? Why should I respect the creation of a thief who came into my fathers' homes, broke down their doors, stole their properties and forced another man he raped to live with them? Isn't it neocolonialism to assume that such unholy creation must not be defiled?

I think it is slavish to assume we are indissoluble. It's nonsense! I've seen so called panafricans in this forum, who loathe the British for what they did to us, dismiss the idea of referendum as nonsense. A person believes the British did us evil and all they created was for their benefit. But this same person can't see that Nigeria is one of such creations.

Nigeria must be renegotiated. I have no problem with Tribalism. My problem is with stupidity. Tribalism is simply ones love for their tribe and there is nothing wrong with that. We don't insult a man for loving his family more than his neighbours. We don't try to destroy a man's love for their country. We don't try to take away the cord that binds two friends because we assume their friendship is cancerous to our survival. That's how I see tribalism.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 11:15pm On Aug 11, 2017
juman:
Black people cannot rule themselves well.

No sensible leaders.
And the moors are what? Genghis Khan is of what race? The Ethiopian empire of Queen Sheba is? The Pharaohs are? The Nri Kingdom of Eastern Nigeria is what? The Powerful Oyo Empire was of what colour?

They raped you both physically and mentally and sold you the dummy that you can't amount to anything. They made sure they left you with systems and stupid leaders that will promote the idea and it's working.

Simply say, THIS generation of black people are mentally imprisoned and have messed up. The generation of Europeans and white in the Dark Age, before Europe's Renaissance Era, were dumb as well. Even dumber.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 11:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
Igboesika:
If we are to follow the breakup route, then it would take 1001 breakups before tribalism would be eradicated reduced.

Maturity and application of wisdom is the only thing that can truly stop the negative effects of tribalism.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 11:28pm On Aug 11, 2017
mikolo80:
what of osu caste system, Ife modaKeke,it'seKiri Ijaw ,TiV igbira. See even if you split Nigeria into 774 local govt. Streets will still fight for autonomy. Ordinary family unity no de. We not the system is the problem
Bullshiit!

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 11:38pm On Aug 11, 2017
Nowenuse:

Ban ethnicity? You are the dumbest person i have known on Nairaland. Why should i let go of my pride because of a country created by the British? You are a big fool for writing nonsense!
Did i see you write African Nations? Can you list any country in Africa today that is qualified to be called a Nation?
The only way to stop tribalism is to let people who share same culture, language to live as one.
Simple!

5 Likes

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 11:41pm On Aug 11, 2017
obailala:
If we are to follow the breakup route, then it would take 1001 breakups before tribalism would be eradicated reduced.

Maturity and application of wisdom is the only thing that can truly stop the negative effects of tribalism.
Another nonsense! You cant eradicate tribalism in an ethnically diverse country. It is not possible.
Let Yoruba, Igbos, and Hausa live apart.

4 Likes

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by juman(m): 7:31am On Aug 12, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
And the moors are what? Genghis Khan is of what race? The Ethiopian empire of Queen Sheba is? The Pharaohs are? The Nri Kingdom of Eastern Nigeria is what? The Powerful Oyo Empire was of what colour?

They raped you both physically and mentally and sold you the dummy that you can't amount to anything. They made sure they left you with systems and stupid leaders that will promote the idea and it's working.

Simply say, THIS generation of black people are mentally imprisoned and have messed up. The generation of Europeans and white in the Dark Age, before Europe's Renaissance Era, were dumb as well. Even dumber.

You cannot be blaming the colonizers after 57 years they left.

Blacks claiming the colonizers are controlling their brains remotely. grin grin grin grin

What a pathetic excuse.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by freshest4live: 7:57am On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Another nonsense! You cant eradicate tribalism in an ethnically diverse country. It is not possible.
Tribalism is outdated.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:08am On Aug 12, 2017
juman:

You cannot be blaming the colonizers after 57 years they left.

Blacks claiming the colonizers are controlling their brains remotely. grin grin grin grin

What a pathetic excuse.
But I'm not blaming them. I'm only telling what happened and how we have reacted to it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by juman(m): 8:16am On Aug 12, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
But I'm not blaming them. I'm only telling what happened and how we have reacted to it.

Your assumption of the situation is wrong.

You portrayed it as the brain of the blacks are still colonized.

But the problem of the blacks is lack of sensible leaders.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by juman(m): 8:30am On Aug 12, 2017
One nigeria is wrong.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by oduastates: 8:32am On Aug 12, 2017
Nigeria is simply unworkable because of the differences .
It is easy to tell why
Even all your past presidents ran the country like local chiefs with their respective kinsmen forming their inner circle .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:34am On Aug 12, 2017
juman:

Your assumption of the situation is wrong.

You portrayed it as the brain of the blacks are still colonized.

But the problem of the blacks is lack of sensible leaders.
Exactly. The brain of a black man is still colonised? You don't agree? I don't know if you will have the energy and time to read this http://www.mortalpoet.com/corruption-is-not-the-problem-with-africa/. That is my position on the matter.

Why do we currently have senseless leaders? Those we call African leaders are simply a bunch of ignorant men who have chosen not to educate themselves properly.

Imagine that the majority of Africans have the intelligence of Mugabe(Just that. cos dude is an asshole), the goodwill of Nyerere and the love of Mandela.

We have the wrong set of leaders. Men who have liberated themselves from every form of slavery are not allowed to run the continent. I don't blame the British for their profound stupidity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 9:24am On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

1. Nigeria isnt the only ethnically diverse country.
2. Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are not the only tribes in Nigeria (just incase you have forgotten).

Leadership wisdom and maturity are the only things that can kill tribalism. If you seperate Biafra today (i.e. the old Biafra which includes Efik, Ibibio, Ikom, Ogoja, Annang, Calabari, Ikwerre, Anioma, Okrika, Izon, Ndoni etc.), without leadership wisdom and maturity on the part of the people, the menace of tribalism will still be fully blown; only difference is that the central Igbos would then be the biggest oppressors of the other over 50 tribes and there would be no other big tribes (i.e. Yoruba + Hausa) to 'compete' with the Igbos.

Even within the 5 states of the SE which have a fairly homogeneous language, we still actively see a lot of tribal/regional segregation. Was it not Abia state which sacked and refused to employ Imo and Anambra indigenes?... I had a lecturer in FUTO (a federal uni) who after decades of academic service, couldnt receive his professorships purely because he couldn't fit into the Imo state politics within the school (which at the time was even dominated by the Mbaise clique). Poor lecturer had to go back to his state's newly launched uni then (Anambra start uni at Uli) to work as part time, and that was where he eventually got his professorships. Similar story happened to my uncle who couldnt get his due promotions at Abia state university simply because he was from Imo. It took him to move to Imo state uni before he could get his due rights. You think that is not the same as tribalism?

Should I even start talking of the segregation within Imo state where some groups swore they would never let any Mbaise person smell Douglas house?... and of course, Mbaise people have been wailing over this issue for ages including during the last Ihedioha election which could have broken the trend.

What am I saying in essence?... Tribalism doesnt end with just Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo as so many people myopically view it. The moment you break those 3 apart, you'll then realise that within each group, there are still hundreds of subgroups that would still perpetuate the tribalism nonsense.

Once again, leadership wisdom and maturity from the people are the only things that can end tribalism; and not endless separations. You can keep calling it nonsense because you want secession (i.e. no more yoruba and hausa competition), but it doesnt still make your position the sensible one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 11:47am On Aug 12, 2017
obailala:

1. Nigeria isnt the only ethnically diverse country.
2. Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa are not the only tribes in Nigeria (just incase you have forgotten).

Leadership wisdom and maturity are the only things that can kill tribalism. If you seperate Biafra today (i.e. the old Biafra which includes Efik, Ibibio, Ikom, Ogoja, Annang, Calabari, Ikwerre, Anioma, Okrika, Izon, Ndoni etc.), without leadership wisdom and maturity on the part of the people, the menace of tribalism will still be fully blown; only difference is that the central Igbos would then be the biggest oppressors of the other over 50 tribes and there would be no other big tribes (i.e. Yoruba + Hausa) to 'compete' with the Igbos.

Even within the 5 states of the SE which have a fairly homogeneous language, we still actively see a lot of tribal/regional segregation. Was it not Abia state which sacked and refused to employ Imo and Anambra indigenes?... I had a lecturer in FUTO (a federal uni) who after decades of academic service, couldnt receive his professorships purely because he couldn't fit into the Imo state politics within the school (which at the time was even dominated by the Mbaise clique). Poor lecturer had to go back to his state's newly launched uni then (Anambra start uni at Uli) to work as part time, and that was where he eventually got his professorships. Similar story happened to my uncle who couldnt get his due promotions at Abia state university simply because he was from Imo. It took him to move to Imo state uni before he could get his due rights. You think that is not the same as tribalism?

Should I even start talking of the segregation within Imo state where some groups swore they would never let any Mbaise person smell Douglas house?... and of course, Mbaise people have been wailing over this issue for ages including during the last Ihedioha election which could have broken the trend.

What am I saying in essence?... Tribalism doesnt end with just Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo as so many people myopically view it. The moment you break those 3 apart, you'll then realise that within each group, there are still hundreds of subgroups that would still perpetuate the tribalism nonsense.

Once again, leadership wisdom and maturity from the people are the only things that can end tribalism; and not endless separations. You can keep calling it nonsense because you want secession (i.e. no more yoruba and hausa competition), but it doesnt still make your position the sensible one.
Biafra is Igbo people wahala not mine. I am a Yoruba person that supports Nigeria disintegration, and i do not want any minorities to go with us. Why? Because there will be tribalism if they join. In fact, one of the main reasons i want this country to split is because of our ethnic differences. Biafra will definitely suffer from tribalism because of the minorities that will join you.
Yoruba, Igbos, and Hausas should go seperate ways!

1 Like

Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by freshest4live: 12:07pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Biafra is Igbo people wahala not mine. I am a Yoruba person that supports Nigeria disintegration, and i do not want any minorities to go with us. Why? Because there will be tribalism if they join. In fact, one of the main reasons i want this country to split is because of our ethnic differences. Biafra will definitely suffer from tribalism because of the minorities that will join you.
Are we the only country with ethnic differences?
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by obailala(m): 12:11pm On Aug 12, 2017
deedeedee1:

Like I said before, tribalism can only be solved by sensible leadership and maturity from the people being led. The current wave of tribalism and religious discrimination which reached a peak since 2015 was ignited by politician. When a politician in search of votes denigrates other tribes in order to force his tribesmen to vote him, he sows a seed of discord in the minds of the people which he is unable to uproot even after he has won and gotten into office. Left to the ordinary man on the streets, he doesn't care when he associates with other common men from other tribes in the market, the discord is usually fuelled by leaders.

I must draw it to your attention once again that separating a country is never a solution to tribalism because you might just have to divide and divide and divide like a thousand times even down to family level and you'd realise the problem still isn't solved. I do not know much about the Yoruba nation, but telling you don't have internal segregations would be a bloody lie. Creating a Yoruba only nation would only amplify the internal tribal/religious/cultural boundaries which exists within.
Re: The Damage Tribalism Has Done To Nigeria by deedeedee1: 1:19pm On Aug 12, 2017
freshest4live:

Are we the only country with ethnic differences?
We dont have to be the only ethnically diverse country before we know the damage it has and will cause us in the nearest future. Yoruba, Igbos, and Hausas are very large nations that can survive on their own.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Saw Nigeria In Flame Yesterday In My Dream. Pray For Nigeria. / Olawepo-hashim Challenges Buhari, Atiku To Presidential Debate, Hail Oby Others / BREAKING: Nine Top Firs Officials Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.