Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Bleaching! But Why? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Bleaching! But Why? (958 Views)

Lady Returns To Her Black Skin After Bleaching (Before Vs Now Photos) / Lady Who Started Bleaching At 19 But Has Stopped Bleaching Speaks (Photos) / Pela Tonye Okiemutie Responsible For Bleaching Many Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bleaching! But Why? by kemthegirl(f): 7:23pm On Aug 11, 2017
I want to talk about Skin Color and why some black people feel the need to bleach their skin. As Nigerians, we do not realize that on some unconscious level, skin bleaching has eaten deep into the fabric of our society. This conversation isn’t talked about constructively in the Nigerian society because we mostly feel we are not affected by it while others who talk about it tend to body shame, bash or praise those who bleach. However, this is a social Phenomenon that merits our attention as black people.

In our Nigerian society, we have identifying markers such as religion, tribe, class, education and ideology. We however do not have skin color as an identifier. The later can be found in countries where there is an endemic racial issue often characterized by racial discrimination. Why then am i talking about skin color as a resident of the most populous black nation on earth?

THE HYDROQUINON BOOM
Recently, with the monstrous growth of the internet coupled with the social media, information has been on the fingertips of almost any one who can read and afford a data subscription. I will give kudos to the western media. They have been able to project their perception of beauty all over the world, from long silky hair, more pointy nose to a pale skin and unfortunately, black people are latching onto this idea of beauty as the standard. Some have conveniently ignored the rather obvious fact that beauty standards are not universal. Each race has its own beauty markers if i may say so. An Indian, Chinese, European, Nigerian, Somalian etc cannot be held to the same standard of beauty. Each individual should define beauty for themselves as we are all unique individuals.

A while ago, i found myself among a group of Nigerian women who were fixated on the idea that lighter skinned individuals are more fortunate with love, employment and are considered more beautiful. I watched them do everything to keep their skin lighter and how they sucked up to those they considered “beautiful”. I have even listened to a lady make inquiries about a bleaching cream suitable for children. Insane right? The sad thing is they didn’t even realize the effect their self loathe was having on their daughters. Those poor girls will grow up thinking something is wrong with them because all they heard as babies were their mothers whining about their skin color.

Lets us be confident in out blackness. Lets celebrate ourselves. Define beauty for yourself and revel in the freedom it affords you.

2 Likes

Re: Bleaching! But Why? by Memories12411: 7:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
They thought bleaching makes them attractive. People that bleach stink especially when they sweat.
Re: Bleaching! But Why? by goodmorning40: 7:42pm On Aug 11, 2017
Pls add this caption to the topic "yorubas get in here"
Bleaching is their specialty
Re: Bleaching! But Why? by MainoCooks(m): 7:47pm On Aug 11, 2017
kemthegirl:

Lets us be confident in out blackness. Lets celebrate ourselves. Define beauty for yourself and revel in the freedom it affords you.

Well said, sister!

(1) (Reply)

Help. Help. Help / Best Quality Shoes Footwear Sandals And Shirts Offer For Sallah Offer / Designer Perfume Oils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.