Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Office Of The Acting Vice President: A Constitutional Vacuum. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Office Of The Acting Vice President: A Constitutional Vacuum. (421 Views)

‘I Am The Acting National Chairman Of APC’ — Giadom Writes INEC / Breaking News!! Atiku's Hope Of Becoming President a Reality...Pics / Democracy Day Speech By Yemi Osinbajo, The Acting President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Office Of The Acting Vice President: A Constitutional Vacuum. by Teacher1776(m): 7:39am On Aug 12, 2017
The office of the Vice President is important for several reasons. First, it is the closest assistant to the president. Due to the president's numerous engagement, the vp is on ground to represent the president at various functions locally and internationally.
An important function though is the provision to step up as Acting President following the absence of the president from office. That ensures there is no vacuum or lacuna created at the highest level of leadership in the country.
Those who drafted the constitution, perhaps did not envisage a situation where a president leaves office for a prolonged period as was the case of Yar'Adua, and now, Buhari. Consequently, the VP is currently performing both the roles of the VP and the President. This shouldn't be so, since both offices have clearly defined roles.
Here are some fundamental issues: in the situation where the acting president travels out of the country on official engagements or a good example was when PYO visited his superior in London, who takes charge on his behalf? Or if the acting president falls sick and has to seek for medical treatment, who takes over as acting president? Or ultimately, if he dies while acting, and whereas the president is not physically fit to resume office, who then takes over as acting president?
I guess these are fundamental issues that should be addressed constitutionally.
I suggest a new office of deputy vice president be created. The Deputy vice president will function as a Minister. But once the Vp steps up to be acting president, the deputy vp steps up to be acting vice president. Or if the vp eventually becomes president, the acting dvp assumes the office of the vp.
I think a decisive action should be taken in this regard. We shouldn't wait for the unimaginable to happen and then scamper to evoke another unlawful doctrine of necessity.
Re: Office Of The Acting Vice President: A Constitutional Vacuum. by eezeribe(m): 7:46am On Aug 12, 2017
Nice post.I also read your signature without turning my phone upside down.

(1) (Reply)

WAR: SEYI LAW Says Nnamdi Kanu Should Be Taken Back To Prison / State Of The Nation: President Buhari Receives Briefing From VP Osinbajo-Photos / Breaking: Ohanaeze Accuses FG Of Bias In Call For Kanu’s Re-arrest, Bail Revocat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.