Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,683 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues (646 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers / 5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues by Hier(m): 1:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
Many are still confused and scared when this topic is mentioned. Many claim the gifting is this and that. Well, I would just share my personal view about speaking in tongues and the things I have newly discovered about the gifting haven been a skeptic.

I created a thread initially which is more detailed on the topic, but I plan on making this one a bit short and precise.

https://www.nairaland.com/3885358/spiritual-experiences-encountered-christian

Okay, many times when I pray in tongues, I feel the words coming out from inside me as supposed to the gibberish many term it as. Jesus said in John 8:37-39

KJV:In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
KJV:He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
KJVsadBut this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
Re: What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues by An2elect2(f): 1:45pm On Aug 12, 2017
charismatic/pentecostal Christians so called who would spend all their time talking about "kingdom benefits" with little or no talk about Jesus Christ have "demonised" this precious gift of the Holy Spirit given to some believers. Many are sceptical about it for good reasons.

Speaking in unknown tongues helps in edifying a believer not the church except there are interpreters. For the Spirit language is God speaking to God through a believer and that no man can understand except it is communicated in a tongue that is known. That's why Paul said he'd rather speak five words with his understanding in church than ten thousand in an unknown tongues 1Corinthians 14:19. When we gather we should be more concerned about everyone's edification than trying to show off or impress people with our gifts.
Re: What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues by Hier(m): 10:13pm On Aug 12, 2017
An2elect2:
charismatic/pentecostal Christians so called who would spend all their time talking about "kingdom benefits" with little or no talk about Jesus Christ have "demonised" this precious gift of the Holy Spirit given to some believers. Many are sceptical about it for good reasons.

Speaking in unknown tongues helps in edifying a believer not the church except there are interpreters. For the Spirit language is God speaking to God through a believer and that no man can understand except it is communicated in a tongue that is known. That's why Paul said he'd rather speak five words with his understanding in church than ten thousand in an unknown tongues 1Corinthians 14:19. When we gather we should be more concerned about everyone's edification than trying to show off or impress people with our gifts.

You mean salvation can also be demonized also. Because of the excessive preaching of it. Only God gives this things.

Moreso, tongues is used for prayer and intercession if you mind. Romans 8:26-27 and 1 corin 14:4,14-15.

Tongues builds and edifies Jude 1:20, 1 corin 14:4

About Paul saying 10000 words and five words. If I tell you that Paul was addressing exactly what he said in 1 Corin 14:40 would hint you, well, verse 39 might shock you also.

But what should I say about what Paul said, the. letter was written to address an abnormaly which came to the knowledge of Paul. I think its a pointless course. Bye
Re: What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues by An2elect2(f): 11:41pm On Aug 12, 2017
Hier:

You mean salvation can also be demonized also. Because of the excessive preaching of it. Only God gives this things.

Moreso, tongues is used for prayer and intercession if you mind. Romans 8:26-27 and 1 corin 14:4,14-15.

Tongues builds and edifies Jude 1:20, 1 corin 14:4

About Paul saying 10000 words and five words. If I tell you that Paul was addressing exactly what he said in 1 Corin 14:40 would hint you, well, verse 39 might shock you also.

But what should I say about what Paul said, the. letter was written to address an abnormaly which came to the knowledge of Paul. I think its a pointless course. Bye

What? Didn't even get a point.
Re: What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues by Nigeriadondie: 6:00am On Aug 13, 2017
undecided undecidedTongues speaking was a gift of d holy spirit which enabled early christians back then to preach in a language(tongue) other than their own.

Before the birth of christianity, God had a covenant relationship with man but that was to change as the old Law was to be replaced with the new law enacted by d blood of Jesus and henwas no longer dealing with humans on d basis of the old law but thru d newly formed christian congregation after Christ's death and ressurection. To convince many that the congregation had His backing, he uses gifts of d spirit such as tongues- 1 Corinthians 14:22.

The gift of speaking served another purpose. During the time of Jesus there was no printing and broadcasting to relay messages to a mass audience as we ve now. Also, there was d issue of language barrier which wud hamper d spread of d gospel of God's will and purpose. To overcome these challenges, tongues speaking filled that need.

Please open ur Bible to read Acts 2:1-11 but with emphasis on verses 6-11 where you wud observe that the tongues spoken where in d real sense of it real languages that were understood by other people who spoke the language not some senseless and meaningless words spoken by ALL tongues speaking pentecostal churches. That way, people cud hear the message of God in their own native language. If u read Acts2:41 u would see that d result of tongues speaking was the 3,000 converts who would now carry witj them to whereever they went the message of goodnews or gospel fulfilling what Christ said in Acts1:8 and what Paul said in Colossians 1:23.

Again, lets examine tongue speaking in the time of early christians and the ones of our time which for me is mere rambling of meaningless words which is tantamount to noise which I recall in my High school class is an unpleasant noise.
Read 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 and 27-31 with emphasis on verse 30.
Read also 1 Corinthians 14:5-33,40 but lay emphasis on 5,11,12,13,19,26-28,31,33,40.
You would realise that when tongues are spoken then it must be interpreted. If no interpretation the tongue speaker has achieved nothing.
Also in verse 31, people cant speak in tongues simultaneously (at the same time) it would make d place rowdy/noisy/disorderly/chaotic as the gathering of barbarians. And the God true christians worship is a God or order as verse 33 shows and so christians must worship God in an orderly manner as verse 40 shows. Not the simultaneous noise making of all in the pentecostal churches we see today, people rambling making noise uttering words they nor their listeners understand and as such cannot interpret what the blabbed which is required.

Now in our time, we ve a well developed printing and broadcasting technology that has overcome the language barrier. The spread of d goodnews is no longer impeded by language barrier as the Bible is now printed in all the living languages spoken today. We even have d Braille for the blind and some bibles have sign language for d deaf. Beinh an ardent admirer of Jehovah's Witnesses the have their publications in about 800 languanges and have a mobile application called "JW LIBRARY" in about 800 languages. If u doubt me u can download it and u wud be amazed at its unique features. Even their website www.jw.org is in many languages as well so making tongues speaking obsolete.
Also , they ve many missionaries who ve taken up the challenge of leaening bew languages so they could reach people who speak that language with d gospel.

As Paul said in 1Corinthians 13:1-13, the gifts of speaking in tongues and other gifts of d holy spirit would pass away with time. This is because as d christian congregation was still in its baby or infant stage, extraordinary gifts of the spirit was needed to convince people of God's approval of the christian congregation but as time went by and it grew beyond the babe stage, the traits of babes has to be put way and as such these gifts are no longer required. They ve outlived their purpose.

Hence, we should not be arried away with all these fake pentecostal churches. Look at what d Bible says Matthew 7:21-23, 2Thessolonians 2:8-10

1 Like

Re: What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues by Hier(m): 10:22pm On Aug 24, 2017
Nigeriadondie:
undecided undecidedTongues speaking was a gift of d holy spirit which enabled early christians back then to preach in a language(tongue) other than their own.

Before the birth of christianity, God had a covenant relationship with man but that was to change as the old Law was to be replaced with the new law enacted by d blood of Jesus and henwas no longer dealing with humans on d basis of the old law but thru d newly formed christian congregation after Christ's death and ressurection. To convince many that the congregation had His backing, he uses gifts of d spirit such as tongues- 1 Corinthians 14:22.

The gift of speaking served another purpose. During the time of Jesus there was no printing and broadcasting to relay messages to a mass audience as we ve now. Also, there was d issue of language barrier which wud hamper d spread of d gospel of God's will and purpose. To overcome these challenges, tongues speaking filled that need.

Please open ur Bible to read Acts 2:1-11 but with emphasis on verses 6-11 where you wud observe that the tongues spoken where in d real sense of it real languages that were understood by other people who spoke the language not some senseless and meaningless words spoken by ALL tongues speaking pentecostal churches. That way, people cud hear the message of God in their own native language. If u read Acts2:41 u would see that d result of tongues speaking was the 3,000 converts who would now carry witj them to whereever they went the message of goodnews or gospel fulfilling what Christ said in Acts1:8 and what Paul said in Colossians 1:23.

Again, lets examine tongue speaking in the time of early christians and the ones of our time which for me is mere rambling of meaningless words which is tantamount to noise which I recall in my High school class is an unpleasant noise.
Read also 1 Corinthians 14:5-33,40 but lay emphasis on 5,11,12,13,19,26-28,31,33,40.
You would realise that when tongues are spoken then it must be interpreted. If no interpretation the tongue speaker has achieved nothing.
Also in verse 31, people cant speak in tongues simultaneously (at the same time) it would make d place rowdy/noisy/disorderly/chaotic as the gathering of barbarians. And the God true christians worship is a God or order as verse 33 shows and so christians must worship God in an orderly manner as verse 40 shows. Not the simultaneous noise making of all in the pentecostal churches we see today, people rambling making noise uttering words they nor their listeners understand and as such cannot interpret what the blabbed which is required.

Now in our time, we ve a well developed printing and broadcasting technology that has overcome the language barrier. The spread of d goodnews is no longer impeded by language barrier as the Bible is now printed in all the living languages spoken today. We even have d Braille for the blind and some bibles have sign language for d deaf. Beinh an ardent admirer of Jehovah's Witnesses the have their publications in about 800 languanges and have a mobile application called "JW LIBRARY" in about 800 languages. If u doubt me u can download it and u wud be amazed at its unique features. Even their website www.jw.org is in many languages as well so making tongues speaking obsolete.
Also , they ve many missionaries who ve taken up the challenge of leaening bew languages so they could reach people who speak that language with d gospel.

As Paul said in 1Corinthians 13:1-13, the gifts of speaking in tongues and other gifts of d holy spirit would pass away with time. This is because as d christian congregation was still in its baby or infa stage, extraordinary gifts of the spirit was needed to convince people of God's approval of the christian congregation but as time went by and it grew beyond the babe stage, the traits of babes has to be put way and as such these gifts are no longer required. They ve outlived their purpose.

Hence, we should not be arried away with all these fake pentecostal churches. Look at what d Bible says Matthew 7:21-23, 2Thessolonians 2:8-10

okay sir. thanks bye

1 Like

Re: What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues by manikal: 6:44am On Aug 25, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

As Paul said in 1Corinthians 13:1-13, the gifts of speaking in tongues and other gifts of d holy spirit would pass away with time. This is because as d christian congregation was still in its baby or infant stage, extraordinary gifts of the spirit was needed to convince people of God's approval of the christian congregation but as time went by and it grew beyond the babe stage, the traits of babes has to be put way and as such these gifts are no longer required. They ve outlived their purpose.

Well said bro.

True prayer is silence. God is OMNISCIENT and knows what you need before you ask him.
Praying to God for physical things shows from the very start that the person has no idea about the real God.

. . .
And do not BABBLE like the heathens for they THINK THEY WILL BE HEARD FOR THEIR MANY WORDS
Re: What You Might Not Know About Speaking In Tongues by Hier(m): 8:07am On Oct 19, 2017
Jump

(1) (Reply)

A World In Flames By Johnydon22 / The Thirteen Love Letters: Curse and the Cure / Babalawo Will Keep You Bound(bondage)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.