Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,797 members, 7,841,094 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns (14340 Views)

Oba Rilwan Akiolu 's Profile Updated On Wikipedia / PDP Will Never Rule Lagos — Rilwan Akiolu, Oba Of Lagos / Former Petroleum Minister, Rilwanu Lukman Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by rasputinn(m): 4:50am On Feb 18, 2010
Even if his resignation was not accepted,Jonathan should go ahead and employ a more pragmatic economist(petroleum economist) who will report directly to him even while the vermin called Lukman is still there
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Bokoharam: 5:56am On Feb 18, 2010
Even if he leaves, will that change Nigeria, or change our corrupt government? Have u thought about how many Rilwan Lukeman's that are yet to resign? And how many vampires and blood suckers that are still in there?

So apity!
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by rhymz(m): 8:16am On Feb 18, 2010
While some of us might busy ourselves arguing the merits and demerits of his resignation,we should not hastily jettison the fact that these men should be probed,whether they voluntarily resign or not.Even Jonathan is not ready to take the bull by the horns,the man is too scared to be firm and lead decisively.He is more interested in playing politics of comfort,I am yet to see any real trace of a man in control of affairs,what I see, is a man who is afraid not to offend some power broker.I mean,one would ve expected Mr Jo to reconstitute the inept cabinet with capable hands without fearing whose ox is gored.Jo can't command respect and awe from his ministers if he keeps waiting for goodluck to determine his fate.It is high time Mr Jo stepped up as a bold leader and do what needs to be done even if that will result in Yaradua's death in SA.No need trying to play to the gallery by trying to appeal to yara's kabal and at thesame time ordinary Nigerians.The two sets are mutually exclusive,enough wishy-washy,he is now the The president,the ball is rolling in his court now,the question is,"Mr Jo,are U ready to kick it"?
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by emiemi(f): 9:38am On Feb 18, 2010
First time a Nigerian political office holder resign of his own accord! Unbelievable!!

We are sure on the way to a new era. I'm happy 'bout this cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by emiemi(f): 9:40am On Feb 18, 2010
rhymz:

While some of us might busy ourselves arguing the merits and demerits of his resignation,we should not hastily jettison the fact that these men should be probed,whether they voluntarily resign or not.Even Jonathan is not ready to take the bull by the horns,the man is too scared to be firm and lead decisively.He is more interested in playing politics of comfort,I am yet to see any real trace of a man in control of affairs,what I see, is a man who is afraid not to offend some power broker.I mean,one would ve expected Mr Jo to reconstitute the inept cabinet with capable hands without fearing whose ox is gored.Jo can't command respect and awe from his ministers if he keeps waiting for goodluck to determine his fate.It is high time Mr Jo stepped up as a bold leader and do what needs to be done even if that will result in Yaradua's death in SA.No need trying to play to the gallery by trying to appeal to yara's kabal and at thesame time ordinary Nigerians.The two sets are mutually exclusive,enough wishy-washy,he is now the The president,the ball is rolling in his court now,the question is,"Mr Jo,are U ready to kick it"?

well analyzed there rhymz.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Ekpekus(m): 11:17am On Feb 18, 2010
His resignation was long over due! Other FEC members shd follow suit
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by otokx(m): 11:21am On Feb 18, 2010
This is rumour and a beating of the air.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by rclbrz2211: 11:41am On Feb 18, 2010
I thot u was making sense before but when I saw Sanusi Lamido on your list, sorry your train derailed oops. Some of ya cant distinguish angels from demons.

I'm out
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by coolguyz(m): 11:53am On Feb 18, 2010
is it not the same Luqman we are here celebrating his resignation thats catching the next flight to Saudi Arabia wt 5 other ministers to go check up on Yar' Adua's health and to report back to the FEC headed by Jonathan?

The guy still being given relevance.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 18, 2010
A SIX-MEMBER committee was raised yesterday by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) to visit President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia where he was been receiving medical attention since November 23, last year.

Yesterday, Acting President Jonathan alleged plans by some persons to launch media "campaigns of calumny" against his Acting Presidency, but affirmed that he would not be deterred.

Senior Special Assistant to the Acting President (Media and Publicity), Ima Niboro, said in a statement last night that no method of misinformation would stop the Acting President from "our collective efforts to reform this nation and change our ways of doing things once and for all."

Already, he said allegations have surfaced in the media (not The Guardian) that the Acting President induced the support of state governors by approving a release of $2 billion and another expenditure of N300 billion sourced from a businessman for some rallies and to influence members of the National Assembly.

According to the strongly-worded statement: "Today, the first instalment of the planned and well-co-ordinated media onslaught against the Acting President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, was published in a national newspaper alleging that he approved the expenditure of a whopping N300 billion 'for both pro-Yar'Adua rallies and those that were in his interest.' The report also claimed that members of the National Assembly were bribed to do their patriotic duty to save the Nation from drift.

"It can be recalled that a few days ago, there was an allegation of a purported release of $2 billion from the Excess Crude Account to governors to facilitate their endorsement of Dr. Jonathan as Acting President. While we commend the Chairman of the Governors' Forum, Dr. Bukola Saraki, for dealing satisfactorily with that allegation in a rejoinder, it is interesting to note that $2 billion translates to roughly N300 billion. There is therefore no question that both allegations emanate from the same source.

"We know those behind these publications. Nigerians have come to know them as careerists in power. But we see them as misguided elements determined to exceed their call of duty and play God over the affairs of the nation. They are wicked and ungodly and their time is up! Never again must we allow our nation to be strangulated by a privileged few who will rather fiddle with our commonwealth while the nation burns.

"We are aware that they have set aside a huge war chest in billions of naira to bring the Jonathan Acting Presidency to disrepute by any means possible. It is, therefore, hardly surprising that as corny as these allegations obviously sound, they still get mention in our media space. We are fully on the tracks of this so-called group; this unfortunate band of liars. In the fullness of time, they shall be brought to book.

"Let me use this medium to reiterate that we shall not be deterred by campaigns of calumny or any other method whatsoever in our collective efforts to reform this nation, and change our ways of doing things once and for all. The Acting President is determined, and he is counting on the total support of all Nigerians."

Also it emerged after the FEC meeting that Acting President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has moved to decisively tackle the country's electricity problem through an interim option of generating power from coal. Information and Communications Minister, Prof. Dora Akunyili, along with her counterparts in Aviation (Omotoba Babalola), and Transport (Ibrahim Biu) as well as the Minister of State for Interior (Ademola Seriki) said the team would convey the appreciation of Nigeria to the Saudi monarchy for the hospitality accorded to Yar'Adua.

The decision to send the delegation was "unanimous", Akunyili said, adding that the they would leave "as soon as they get their visas."

"Council constituted a six-man team to go to Saudi Arabia to visit Mr President and his family. The team will also convey a formal appreciation of the country to the King of Saudi Arabia," she stressed

Members of the delegation include the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (Alhaji Yayale Ahmed), Attorney-General and Minister of Justice (Prince Adetokunbo Kayode) and Ministers of Health (Prof. Babatunde Osotimehin), Agriculture and Water Resources (Dr. Abba Sayyadi Ruma) and Foreign Affairs (Chief Ojo Maduekwe).

And the Acting President has "directed that within the week, he will meet with the Ministers of Mines and Steel, Power and Petroleum with a view to fashioning out ways of generating power from coal within the next 18-24 months."

FEC also approved the standardisation of rates for the procurement of group life assurance for all employees of the Federal Government.

The 2003 Pension Reform Act provides that employers should maintain life insurance policy in favour of their employees with a worth of at least three times the annual total emolument of the employees.

According to Akunyili: "The Acting President brought a memo seeking Council's approval for the standardisation of rates applied in the procurement of Group Life Assurance for employees of the Federal Government. Section 9(3) of the Pension Reform Act provides that employers should maintain life insurance policy in favour of their employees worth at least three times the annual total emolument of the employees.

"Over the years the Federal Government was unable to provide Group Life Insurance cover for all its employees as stipulated in the Pension Reform Act because the premium payable, as calculated on the basis of agreed rates was exorbitant and was never fully covered in the budget. The sum of N20.2billion was proposed in the 2010 budget for the insurance scheme. Parastatals which get their funding on first line charge would also have to apply the negotiated rates for the procurement of covers for the employees.

"In compliance with the provisions of the Pension Reform Act and in order to ensure the standardisation of rates in the Group Life Assurance for Public Servants, Council approved the following rates for federal government employees in 2010. Core Civil servants 3.0 per mille, para-military staff 3.15 per mille, police and security 4.54 per mille and Armed Forces 3.98 per mille. It equally approved that only 17 companies will provide Group Life Insurance for Federal Government employees in 2010.

"Also the common services office in the office of the head of service will continue to administer the process, working with a consortium of five insurance brokers. The advisory services will be at no additional cost to the Federal Government. Council finally approved that the office of the Accountant-General of the federation will continue to pay the premium directly to the underwriters."

The 17 insurance companies include AIICO Insurance, Guaranty Trust Assurance Plc, Leadway Assurance Ltd, Crystalife Assurance Life Co Ltd, Standard Alliance Life Assurance Ltd, Niger Insurance Plc, Goldlink Insurance Plc, LASACO Assurance Plc, Royal Exchange Prudential Life and Capital Express Assurance Ltd. Others include Zenith Life Assurance Co Ltd, Cornerstone Insurance Plc, GNI Life Assurance Ltd, Crusader Life Assurance Plc, International Life Co Ltd, Oceanic Life Assurance Ltd and A & G Life Assurance Co Ltd.

The Council also approved the enactment of an act for the establishment of the Nigeria-French Language village, Topo-Badagry and related matters. The village was established in 1991 as an inter-university centre for the study of French language.

It also endorsed the enactment of an Act for the establishment of Nigeria-Arabic Language village, Ngala and related matters. The objective of the village is to promote the study and use of Arabic language in Nigeria.

The draft bills for the two villages will be forwarded to the National Assembly.

In addition, the Council approved a draft bill for the establishment of the University of Uyo and other related matters.
Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=180210&ptitle=Govt%20alleges%20campaigns%20against%20Jonathan

Could the bold paragraph be pointing at Luku?
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by etsunu(m): 1:09pm On Feb 18, 2010
His resignation should be suspended for approval until his activities while in office are comprehensively investigated. This could serve as a lesson 2 those dat think they could get away with their loots thru tendering letter of voluntary resignations.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Gbawe: 1:22pm On Feb 18, 2010
rhymz:

Well said . All what you state is what I have said in the past on this forum i.e Jonathan is weak , indecisive and afraid of his own shadow !!! We are now seeing the fallout of his scaredy cat persona !!!! Previous mitigations for Jonathan's behaviour are now discredited because , even with supreme power , Jonathan remains too scared to act !!! Retaining a blatantly pro-Yar Adua NSA , for example, is akin to madness especially when it is fairly obvious that it is unlikely Yar Adua is coming back as President !!!!! To be honest , I don't care what happens to Jonathan because , good or bad, he will deserve it. His behaviour in the near future will show if he has any fight in him or if he is cowardly to the extent that he will make himself a pathetic target no one can fail to hit .
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by nnajiofo: 1:28pm On Feb 18, 2010
Thats ok by me
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by demla: 2:01pm On Feb 18, 2010
is ibori not on the list?die hard yar aduas list.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Parnassuss(m): 2:05pm On Feb 18, 2010
The list on the first page is missing one crucial component; Alhaji Yayale Ahmed, the suave Talleyrand wanna-be. In an ideal world i'd say i was pleased but considering the fact that Joe's already 'fallen my hand' in the Aondoakaa saga, i won't expect much 4rm him.  sad
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by peruso: 4:45pm On Feb 18, 2010
rclbrz2211:

I thot u was making sense before but when I saw Sanusi Lamido on your list, sorry your train derailed oops. Some of ya cant distinguish angels from demons.

I'm out

[size=8pt][/size]10

angry angryEXCUSE ME PLS, WHO IS THIS ANGEL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
HMMM IF IT'S TRULY THAT PERSON THAT YOU ARE CALLING AN ANGEL THEN HITLER WAS AN ARC ANGEL

ANGEL EH OK OOOOOO
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by jaymdee(m): 4:57pm On Feb 18, 2010
The guy don chop so tey, all em teeth  do fall finish
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by ayinba1(f): 6:33pm On Feb 18, 2010
^^^ funny
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by doctorbabs(m): 8:55pm On Feb 18, 2010
it shows God don dey answer our prayer in this country. glory be to Almighty Allah for this development. let me also use this medium to tell our northern counterpart that presidency is not there birthright( nobody born to rule) when we have over 250 ethnics group in Nigeria, power must shift and have shifted to south - south let them taste, we should rotating it between Yoruba and Hausa.to serve Nigeria is not by force
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by ikennahill: 10:45pm On Feb 18, 2010
na lie,e no dey any newspaper
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by boyt1: 11:17pm On Feb 18, 2010
Thank God. just got this good news on my arrival from Dubai . I wish more resignation of the Northern  corrupt guys with oil blocks sitting on Niger Delta's wealth. God de watch una oooo!!!
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by wariowei(m): 11:08am On Feb 19, 2010
The beauty of renovating a house is not just by pulling out the inferior blocks but taking out time to search for a quality and reliable replacement for the inferior blocks. In my own opinion, if you cant see a better replacement then allow the inferior blocks which has being serving to expire before replacing them.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Osiago(m): 12:58pm On Feb 19, 2010
I am shocked that some amongst us still like old rotten eggs. I wish to grow if there is no replacement let me take the job as minister to head that of the state, I know the job can be tideous but tanker driving is worst. Even personal establishment people do retire not to talk of public position.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by diigirl: 1:14pm On Feb 19, 2010
Lookman resign Jonathan no gree. If the story is true, I think I agree with Jonathan. He should not be hasty in accepting the guy's resignation. Make him for look am well well. I also think Nigerians should not expect Jonathan to right the wrongs of many years in just a few days. Let him be sure that any action he takes, he will stand and defend.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by idifu(m): 5:12pm On Feb 19, 2010
why hin resign, hin for dey there till d day hin go die, yeye man i don dey hear hin name since wen i dey smal
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Bar1zaa: 9:10am On Feb 20, 2010
I am not sure his decision to resign was timely. He has been there for so long that am sure at the end of the day he will tell us that he got billions of Dollars he is at a loss regarding how and where to spend it.
Please there is no oil in his state, he should endeavour to stay away permanently.
He is already too old for public office unless he is seeking to die in active service and get State burial. grin
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by phantom(m): 10:51am On Feb 20, 2010
Those of you who have tagged uncle jo 'weak' might be in for a shocker.What do you expect from a man whose ascendancy to power was 'somehow'?This is not the right time for him to go on a cabinet cleansing mission in as much as i would put a hole in their heads if given the chance.Make him president then get some popcorn,sit back,relax and watch and laugh.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by phantom(m): 10:51am On Feb 20, 2010
Those of you who have tagged uncle jo 'weak' might be in for a shocker.What do you expect from a man whose ascendancy to power was 'somehow'?This is not the right time for him to go on a cabinet cleansing mission in as much as i would put a hole in their heads if given the chance.Make him president then get some popcorn,sit back,relax and watch and laugh.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Caringpro(f): 11:48am On Feb 20, 2010
The guy should not have been made the petroleum minister again in the first place. We have men in this country that are ready to work and move things forward but these fooooooooooolllllllssssssssssssss that call them selves politicians keeps recycling themselves! POSTERITY WILL DEFINITELY JUDGE THEM! sad sad sad
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by desthan(m): 4:53pm On Feb 22, 2010
Way 2 go Mr Railway Lookman. . . . undecided
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Linguist(f): 9:40am On Feb 23, 2010
power is changing hand for good! cool grin
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by 9ijaprince(m): 10:15am On Feb 23, 2010
Did this man really quit? I thought he was included on the mission to saudi arabia. Also i ve not heard it on d news.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Reekado Banks Deserves The Award And Not Lil Kesh / $219,000 Withdrawal: EFCC Questions Foreign Affairs Ministry DG, 24 Others / Boko Haram Forced Me To Watch My Son Beheaded – Displaced Baga Resident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.