Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,055 members, 7,835,571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns (14336 Views)

Oba Rilwan Akiolu 's Profile Updated On Wikipedia / PDP Will Never Rule Lagos — Rilwan Akiolu, Oba Of Lagos / Former Petroleum Minister, Rilwanu Lukman Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by ronkeenuf(f): 1:00pm On Feb 16, 2010
nikkykay:

This story is  not complete. Actually he tendered his resignation letter but it was turned down by Jonathan on the grounds that his resignation might send signals that something was wrong with the cabinet.
Yes, his resignation was not accepted

Pifa:

What’s the difference between a Petroleum Minister and Minister of State for Petroleum Resources?

there is a minister of state in every ministry, Nigeria is one of the countries with the highest number of executive members
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Wilfem(m): 3:13pm On Feb 16, 2010
If it is true that the acting president rejected his resignation letter, then he's not serious and I'm really sorry for him. Is he a coward or what's the meaning of this?
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Pifa: 5:14pm On Feb 16, 2010
ronkeenuf:

there is a minister of state in every ministry, Nigeria is one of the countries with the highest number of executive members

blacksta:

It is one of the devices setup to aid corruption - Size of Government must be reduced

@ blacksta and @ronkeenuf  . . . Thanks for responding.

I guess what I am asking is what their functions are as Minister of Petroleum and Minister of State for Petroleum Resources respectively.

I’ll check the Nigerian government’s web sites to see if there is a job description for each portfolio.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Nobody: 5:26pm On Feb 16, 2010
Minister of State for Petroleum is the Junior minister under the Petroleum Minister.

Most Governments around the world have this kind of arrangement.

In some countries ther are known as Under-Secretary.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by say4gunit(m): 5:45pm On Feb 16, 2010
Glory be to GOD,
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by formunt(m): 6:29pm On Feb 16, 2010
Where is Sanusi on this list, Allah help me. Pls
Sanusi must go with his Agenda. Banking is southerners business and must be paralysed
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Akanniade(m): 6:48pm On Feb 16, 2010
Another one bites the dust.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Akanniade(m): 6:49pm On Feb 16, 2010
Another one bites the dust.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Ndipe(m): 11:27pm On Feb 16, 2010
Goodness Gracious, this man was still in the petroleoum biz? I remember him as far back as the 90's.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by kshow1(m): 11:42pm On Feb 16, 2010
Ndipe link=topic=398840.msg5527236#msg;5527236 date=1266359268:

Goodness Gracious, this man was still in the petroleoum biz? I remember him as far back as the 90's.

Yeah, i have known him in my old social studies class in the 90's
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by SeXyBoNE: 11:52pm On Feb 16, 2010
2 gone

more plssss
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by bola09: 12:03am On Feb 17, 2010
Interesting comments, Now, I do not intend to hold brief for Octogenarian like Lukman but I recalled when he was the Energy Minister during Babangida's regime. That was the only period in my adult like while living in Nigeria when power supply was close to been steady.  
I think sometimes we are too critical of our leaders without been deferential to the person's capability. For him to continue to serve at his age and, for all succeeding presidents to keep calling on him, he must know something. Again, I am just as frustrated as anyone else about the snail pace of Nigeria progress but sometimes, we are too aggressive in the way we speak of each other.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by jamace(m): 12:09am On Feb 17, 2010
Things are getting better. May more bad eggs be flushed out.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by ikoyiboy: 12:49am On Feb 17, 2010
Allahu Akbar!!!
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by kawkab: 12:56am On Feb 17, 2010
We should not be too excited, he also resigned under the Obasanjo regime only to resurface under Yar Adua
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Kilode1: 12:58am On Feb 17, 2010
bola09:

Interesting comments, Now, I do not intend to hold brief for Octogenarian like Lukman but I recalled when he was the Energy Minister during Babangida's regime. That was the only period in my adult like while living in Nigeria when power supply was close to been steady.  
I think sometimes we are too critical of our leaders without been deferential to the person's capability. For him to continue to serve at his age and, for all succeeding presidents to keep calling on him, he must know something. Again, I am just as frustrated as anyone else about the snail pace of Nigeria progress but sometimes, we are too aggressive in the way we speak of each other.

I understand the sentiments about undue criticism, but in this case, I think we are being too soft on these laggards,

I'm glad you remember the IBB days. I do too. You are also aware that this same Lukman has served  more than twice as "Petroleum something" I wouldn't mind his long service if his ministry, which oversees 90% of Nigeria's revenue has anything to show for the massive profits administered by them in the last 45 years. but NO! we keep getting worse, No fuel, no refinery, little local input, the same sucking up to western and middle eastern interests for 45+years! Lukman's generation of leaders are a total disgrace!!

I disagree with you on the IBB years, I remember those years too, It was the beginning of unbearable power failure in Nigeria, I was old enough to remember that the TVs stopped becoming a gathering place in the evening for Nigerian families, i.e we could no longer keep an appointment with our favourite programs and series because NEPA went from tolerable to Totally inept, and it has continued till today.  sad

The point is that Lukman and his ilk have done nothing but waste their generation and are currently wasting mine. Lukman is no Larry King who got old on the job and continued to deliver, Lukman is an example of what is wrong with leadership in this Country -a class of elites(of all ethnic group) who proved through their acts and Careers in Govt. and public service that maintaining the status quo for their own benefit is more important than the livelihood and the advancement of the average Nigerian. Good riddance to bad rubbish.  angry

There are better Nigerian managers of human and natural resources within and outside Nigeria willing to serve with dignity.

At least he was bold enough to resign, unlike that fool called Aaodonkaa,  angry
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by ibileye(f): 2:24am On Feb 17, 2010
Was he planning to die there?, D guy is f, cking old, jzzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by shotuns: 2:53am On Feb 17, 2010
WOW! I am loving this! But guys let's keep praying for our motherland oo, whatever is good need prayer and vice versa. This is just the beginning! God help us root out the evil that has eaten deep into our foundations, (Amen)
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Rastamann: 3:02am On Feb 17, 2010
Since, all these years he has been a minister, what did he achieve for Nigeria. Public service is nobody's birthright. We need a totally new oreintation in Nigeria's public Service. I expect them all, including Jonathan Goodluck, to resign their posts. Let the whiteman come and manage Nigeria for at least ten years.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by samsoft00: 3:23am On Feb 17, 2010
do you know you can earn more income, click the link below
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by shotuns: 3:33am On Feb 17, 2010
@Rastarmann, You mean Oyinbo! We are black men, Crying! cry
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by asscend: 3:45am On Feb 17, 2010
in most developed nations, when ministers fail to deliver, they automatically resign.

The Ministers that ought to resign for obvious poor performance are 'Petroleum Minister' and 'Power and Steel Minister".

They promised and could not deliver. Stand down and let others get on with the job.

Where is the 6000mega watts promised? Why are there petrol cues and where are our functioning refinaries?

Lastly, Professor Iwu should go.

Nairalanders, start the campaign for none performing ministers to resign.

The 3 mentioned above are the most obvious now! Others will join shortly.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Pifa: 4:59am On Feb 17, 2010
mikeansy:

Minister of State for Petroleum is the Junior minister under the Petroleum Minister.

Most Governments around the world have this kind of arrangement.

In some countries ther are known as Under-Secretary.

@mikeansy . . .Thanks.

So the Minister of State is not a cabinet position. The web sites I looked at make it seem like it is. That's why I asked.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by adewale24: 5:17am On Feb 17, 2010
resign or no resign, he should still be probed
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Gifurat: 6:19am On Feb 17, 2010
This is good for the nation interest, other corrupt die-hards should be on their marks, willingly or forcefully.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by anataala: 7:09am On Feb 17, 2010
my friends ur waisting ur time, tell me in the whole cabinet from president to a concillor in a local government all over naija that is not corrupt, look guys we have to raise up as the future of our great country, we are the one's suffering not them, all of the are thiefs, pls be guided
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by mikkyrazzy: 7:44am On Feb 17, 2010
This is good news. We serve a God that answers prayers. I really hope Goodluck's time will bring Nigeria a lot of good.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Acodynas1(m): 8:00am On Feb 17, 2010
Thank God for Nigeria
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Nobody: 8:27am On Feb 17, 2010
i dont see how this is good news.

@ imeobong- daft list.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by Dalvic(m): 9:04am On Feb 17, 2010
Thank God, one of the country problem is out. Let him go and strategize for 2011.
Re: Breaking News! Rilwan Lukman, Petroleum Minister Resigns by sniperwolf(m): 9:21am On Feb 17, 2010
The bastard knew he was going to be fired

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt / PDP: APC Wants To Give INEC Chairman Onneghen’s Treatment / Nigeria Air: APC Chieftain Tasks EFCC To Probe Ex-aviation Minister, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.