Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,996 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? - Events (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? (11232 Views)

Five People That Can Ruin Your Wedding Ceremony / why it is good to confirm before you believe or post any writeup / What Will Your Wedding Cost? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by lordy(m): 7:22pm On Feb 17, 2010
Hmmmmmm!  cry
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by Willyblinks(m): 7:54pm On Feb 17, 2010
Yes marriage has to be made memorable, but come to think of it, is it that he is borrowing money b'cos all he had saved is been used up in the wedding ? With what then will he feed the family after the wedding ? Money gathered durring spray from which he is also paying his debt after borrowing for the wedding ? Surely this will mean months of debt paying and should her mathematical calculations {of big shots coming }fail then they are in a big mess. Yes its good to be optimisic but facing reality always protects{the unexpect befall people}.

{someone close to me is experiencing this now he didnt borrow but used up over 90% of what he had and now the unexpected }
If he cant convince her abt lowering her selfish wants then he should watch out for their life after marriage cos it seems she might want to live a life beyound their means.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by emma2002(m): 8:17pm On Feb 17, 2010
GREAT IDEA, THEY CAN GO AHEAD WITH IT BUT THEY SHOULD REPAY THE LOAN BEFORE THE WEDDING, GO FIGURE!
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by utotomi50(m): 8:35pm On Feb 17, 2010
I see no problem with it
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by goose1: 8:40pm On Feb 17, 2010
It will be beginning of his marrital problem.
Dont know how some people look at life.must you do wedding?
If you don't have the means,take your wife home and start a family in as much as you have paid the dowry.
And let me hear any pastor say it is a sin not to do church wedding!
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by Wrex(m): 8:40pm On Feb 17, 2010
Taken:

Cut ya coat according to ya materials - If dem borrow do wedding wetin dem go live upon after wedding?
i wonder ooo
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by distincty: 8:42pm On Feb 17, 2010
dont mind the lady now, she go wak gari after wedding, that mean she is not concern abt marriage but the wedding uhu, i dont blame her, she does not not the difference between wedding and marriage, somebody help me explain to the lady
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by olujayogbe: 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2010
Bad idea embarassed
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by dangerzone: 9:33pm On Feb 17, 2010
There's nothing bad in that, the guy's broke and getting OLD, need to get married ASAP so what??
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by SwtzMinx(f): 9:41pm On Feb 17, 2010
.chai!!. . .i don pity the guy. . .
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by eros(m): 10:11pm On Feb 17, 2010
Now this is about the dumb, est , ish i ever heard in a long time. Why would a brother borrow to marry his bride? D.umb!!! D.umb!!! D.umb!!! D.umb!!! angry sad shocked

As you can see from the consensus on here, everybody kicks against borrowing for a wedding, except for some "dead brains". Make your friend read all the comments from well meaning strangers on Nairaland and then make a final decision. Whatever he decides, we wish him well and hope his wife doesn't run away with another man when the going gets rough, becos it always does at one point or another.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by darami(f): 10:58pm On Feb 17, 2010
chaircover:

And realistically speaking how much of the money do they actually see? All of a sudden you will see people with carrier bags pretending to pick up the money for the dancing couple only for the bags to disappear in the hustle and bustle of the dance floor.

All it takes is for it to rain, a family emergency or for one big go-slow to happen on the route to the wedding and you will see the so called big men not turning up for the wedding at all.

chaircover:

And realistically speaking how much of the money do they actually see? All of a sudden you will see people with carrier bags pretending to pick up the money for the dancing couple only for the bags to disappear in the hustle and bustle of the dance floor.

All it takes is for it to rain, a family emergency or for one big go-slow to happen on the route to the wedding and you will see the so called big men not turning up for the wedding at all.

God bless you for pointed this out.  On our wedding party, people were spraying us money left and right,  you won't believe when they counted the money, it was mostly ten naira and twenty naira. One of my sister in law ( hubby bother' s wife was just laughing and asked who spray you twenty nairas) because if you watch the video, it was mostly large currency.

Well, l always say this, marriage is a lifetime project, while wedding is only a day. These people will comes and eat your food with some crap gifts, you will need up in debt. I think its peer pressure that is affecting naija people, I want my wedding to be more glamorous than  Bukky's party.  Please dont start your life with debt.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by nethacker(m): 11:52pm On Feb 17, 2010
i think d guy is crazy angry angry borow money for one day function-called wedding- and thereafter i go dey soak garri n be waiting on d Lord angry
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by 4ward(m): 12:00am On Feb 18, 2010
a lot of people only prepare for a wedding not for marriage.wedding is just a day ceremony while marriage is 4 a life time so if u start with your new life with a debt ho do you plan for the future?think about it
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by na2day2(m): 12:04am On Feb 18, 2010
@ OP

this not a big deal. it is her wedding, so if she wants it grand she has the right to have it grand, so tell your friend, all he needs to do is ask her if it is possible to move the wedding date for a month so has to borrow enough money and let her borrow some from her friends too that he will pay back. if she agrees, let him use that one month to shop for her replacement then once the one month is up tell her that the wedding is off and he has found another bride. she can now go have the grandest of weddings all by herself and hopefully she has borrowed enough money from her friends at that time
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by peruso: 12:29am On Feb 18, 2010
distincty:

dont mind the lady now, she go wak gari after wedding, that mean she is not concern abt marriage but the wedding uhu, i dont blame her, she does not not the difference between wedding and marriage, somebody help me explain to the lady

true talk,

the sooner men realise that they are the head of their homes the sooner there will be order in these matters and every other
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by selencious(f): 2:23am On Feb 18, 2010
NOPE!!! Def nat gud. I'd better have a simple wedding than borrow money to have a big time wedding. After d wedding, what next? Uld be screwed tryna pay back while the people u tryna please are in their various houses having a good time. They might not even care bout u, call u after the wedding or get u a wedding gift. Cut ur coat according to ur cash. U ain wanna start ur 1st wedding month in debt.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by location(m): 2:27am On Feb 18, 2010
i no know ooooh
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 2:34am On Feb 18, 2010
Hmmm that na palava wey you dey find oh, According to Late Fela Anikulapo Kuti
Has your friend told the spouse that he is borrowing money or he is just trying to be capable
Do they have a good jobs and how long do they intend to pay back due to their estimate if the so called rich fellas dont come spraying or if EFCC come carry dem on stage for spraying 9ja money grin
If not well planned i can bet you the so called wife will be the one to tell you if she asked you to  go borrowing money for the wedding,that if you are not man enough why did you come marrying her,
Bro im not saying its right or not oh, All im saying is Plan yourself well well before you ruin yourself by yourself "Dem no dey tell man"
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by lasgidi4rv: 4:30am On Feb 18, 2010
I don't feel it bodes well when one has to borrow money for a wedding. This could be bad sign as to the financial stability of the couple. In this situation, I believe the bride-to-be is wrong to insist on a more lavish wedding than her groom- to- be can afford. After all she ought to be aware of his financial status. Nothing wrong in having a lavish wedding, but ONLY if you can afford it.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by lasgidi4rv: 4:44am On Feb 18, 2010
@ na2day?
Quote "this not a big deal. it is her wedding, so if she wants it grand she has the right to have it grand, so tell your friend, all he needs to do is ask her if it is possible to move the wedding date for a month so has to borrow enough money and let her borrow some from her friends too that he will pay back. if she agrees, let him use that one month to shop for her replacement then once the one month is up tell her that the wedding is off and he has found another bride. she can now go have the grandest of weddings all by herself and hopefully she has borrowed enough money from her friends at that time."

LWKM. So true. I agree with you.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by na2day2(m): 4:51am On Feb 18, 2010
lasgidi4rv:

LWKM. So true. I agree with you.

glad u agree wink wink wink
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by becomricch: 5:00am On Feb 18, 2010
You dont have to borrow for a wedding. I have this white friend of mine. they got married with less than $200. They just got married and did not tell anyone. Just get married and dont have an ceremony. It is not owambe party that makes a marriage.

It is only stupid to think marriage is about a stupid party, some people you do not know come and eat all your food. It is because africa think like bush people. Many whote people get married with ceremony. They use the money to buy a house.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by Ndipe(m): 5:02am On Feb 18, 2010
dan_dollar:

But why do couples expect so much from guests on their wedding day?

I wonder, like someone just commented on guests coming to your wedding to eat your food and leaving behind crappy gifts. I mean, you invited them, while it's the norm to come with a gift to a wedding ceremony, sincerely, I dont think it would bother me if none of my guests show up with no gift.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by switchmax8: 8:27am On Feb 18, 2010
advice him to either go ahead with his budget to avoid shame and stress to hussle back the money or go ahead with the borrowing spree then later he will be running away from the debtors.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by ijetonia(f): 8:45am On Feb 18, 2010
lets look at it this way. the woman wanted her husband to borrow money for a society wedding.the man should be man enough to say hell no, we will have a wedding within our reach.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 18, 2010
Cut ur coat according to ur cloth. But people won't listen!
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by Greycells(m): 9:33am On Feb 18, 2010
Never borrow for your wedding (Maybe from your parents and siblings only cos twill be difficult to repay). You can never bank on money sprayed by the guests cos more than half usually develop wings. Some people are out to steal such.

The chairman at my wedding sprayed us 50k (I know cos he cut the tag on the dance floor). All my wife counted when retired was like 37k. undecided undecided

More than 30 people sprayed us money grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 18, 2010
It is absolytely wrong 2 borrow coz of a wedding. If the said gal wants an elaborate wedding, she can as well finance it from her pockets. I wonder y some women like deceiving themselves. An elaborate wedding does not guarantee a happy home. Let us help our guys to spend wisely, not the other way.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by opribo(m): 10:36am On Feb 18, 2010
@ Ijetonia,

Its easy to say when its the other person. If you are the one will you accept that from your spouse if he says hell NO it must be withing his budget.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by nikynike(f): 12:13pm On Feb 18, 2010
It is not good to borrow money to finance a wedding be it traditional or church wedding. It is always advisable to make some savings by both persons involve in the wedding. They should plan according to their savings.

Secon option to prevent this is that they can as well pay in advance to some areas like the band and cake so after the wedding, they complete their payment. I know it depends on individual. Again, for salary earners, they can have a good plan.
Re: Is It Good To Borrow Money For Your Wedding? by DL(m): 12:38pm On Feb 18, 2010
Why on earth should you
What's more important is the life after the wedding.
Cut your agbada according to your belle ooo!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? / 2021 August Meeting: ABN TV Boss' Mum Bags Nne Oha Of Ebem Ohafia [pix, Video] / 10 Real Life Mermaid Caught On Camera (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.