Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars (1185 Views)

2010 Polo Volkswagen 1.4liter Engine...check It Out! / "service Engine Soon" Light On My 04 Nissan Pathfinder / Engine Check Light In 98 Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by tosenbaba(m): 11:22am On Feb 16, 2010
I HAVE A NISSAN ALTIMA 2002,AND SINCE I BOUGHT IT, THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT IN THE DASH BOARD AS BEEN ON, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS BEEN SERVICED,
A FRIEND SAY IT DOESN'T MATTER. HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS LIGHT ORĀ  IT DOESN'T MATTER. angry
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by familierl: 11:45am On Feb 16, 2010
call adeiza Autos for fast and reliable diagnostics. They will solve your problem. (08059988889)
Cheers!!
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by jtoliver: 11:56am On Feb 16, 2010
A Check Engine Light (CEL) could mean a number of things. The best way to make sure is to have the code read using OBDC II reader. In most cases, however, if the CEL stays on (not blinking) it has something to do with the emissions system of your car (i.e., busted oxygen sensor, loose gas cap, bad catalytic converter, etc). If it is blinking, then it is something worse, usually with the engine.

Depending on the system affected, a CEL staying on could lead to higher fuel consumption, loss of power, bad emission, etc. Would suggest to have the error code read as soon as possible.

After you have had your CEL code(s) read, search through net of what the code means (there's plenty of resource materials about CELs). This would give you a better idea of how to go about fixing it.

Hope this helps.
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by tosenbaba(m): 12:23pm On Feb 16, 2010
you are kind of correct there, the fuel consumption is very high,could that be as a result of the service engine light ?
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by jtoliver: 12:34pm On Feb 16, 2010
Can't really say since i do not know your fuel consumption before and after the CEL turning on, and also your maintenance habit (i.e., change oil interval, spark plug changing, tune-up schedule, etc).

But right off the bat, and assuming that you follow the recommended maintenance schedule, it's safe to say that the drop in fuel mileage could be because of the malfunction detected by the CEL (the CEL itself is not a malfunction, it's an INDICATOR of a malfunction).

So like I suggested, have your CEL error code read ASAP, and post here what the resulting code or codes are.

Good luck!
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by jfking2005(m): 12:57pm On Feb 16, 2010
@ jtoliver

pls my camry light is also on too.

do you have an idea of how much the scan is done?

or can u recommend any good place?

cheers man

thanks
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by jtoliver: 2:01pm On Feb 16, 2010
The best place to go would be your car make's service center (eg Camrys would be the Toyota Service Center, etc). OBDC readers should be pretty common fare in these centers nowadays, since onboard computers with OBDC ports have been around since 1998 IIRC.

TIP: In some vehicles, as simple as not tightening the gas cap enough could result in a CEL. As rule of thumb, make sure that you hear the gas cap click at least 5-6 times when putting it back after you fill up. But like I said, this is just one of the things you could watch out for,
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by jfking2005(m): 2:42pm On Feb 16, 2010
Thanks Man!

i really appreciate your info.

But what range of price should i be looking at to get this scan of a thing done once and 4 all

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

thanks
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by jtoliver: 4:01pm On Feb 16, 2010
Haven't a foggiest idea how much it would be here in Nigeria. In some cases, the service center would (should?) not even charge you anything, especially if you are going to get the part that need replacing from them as well.

Anyway, estimated cost? Hmmmm, MAYBE around N2k to N3k,
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by jfking2005(m): 4:42pm On Feb 16, 2010
thanks man
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by tosenbaba(m): 4:36pm On Feb 17, 2010
@ adeiza, i called your number, not available, whats your address
Re: Service Engine , Check Engine Light In Cars by ESEL: 10:42pm On Feb 17, 2010
Get your Car scanned to get the full details of what the error/code is. You can contact me for any assistance on any light triggered on the Instrumental Cluster.

EEL Diagnostic Experts, 08035496482

(1) (Reply)

Naija Used 2007 Toyota Avalon For Sale / Registered Bmw 5 Series For Sale N2.8m ..NOW N2.5M / We Would Help You Sell Your Perkins, Lister Generator Within A Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.