Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,132 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu (26406 Views)

Why FG Is Insisting On IPPIS – ASUU / ‘FG Will Demolish Illegal Higher Institutions’ / ASUU Strike: Why I Support Industrial Action – Senator Shehu Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:
Buhari is a curse to Nigeria.

I does not even knows why we the yoruba was deceive by the gambaris to vote the scam called APC.

We miss Goodluck Jonathan sad
Say you miss Goodluck Jonathan not "we".
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Eneze1(f): 8:51am On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

And that's the harsh gospel truth.

Infact the BIG elephant in the room, in all of ASUU's disputes with the govt has been tuition fees. Both sides have tiptoed around the issue....refusing to face the reality that fees may have to go up....because it does not win votes, and it only makes you more unpopular. To say nothing of provoking student unrest (just a small raise in cafeteria prices led to riots in Nigerian universities in the late 1970's...the famous Ali must Go riots).

The earlier we embrace this fact the better

Government can't fund education. I hope people will be a little more open minded about this issue

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by FakoMaybach1: 8:53am On Aug 16, 2017
some Nairalanders especially those from the south west are very mischievous, This agreement was signed for 1 trillion or so by GEJ, GEJ paid 250 billion, what was required was for the money to be paid in installments.

The united nations advised every country to make provisions of 25% of their budget to education, but because the Yorubas voted a man who had no waec, a man who sees the building of 16 alimajiri schools and federal universities in every state as "Nothing to show"; That same man budgeted a paltry 300 billion for education, his kitchen plus aso rock budget is higher than that amount.

ASUU is not asking for the 800 billion to be paid at once, at least put something tangible down, if 300 billion is paid and ASUU is still striking then we know they are wrong.

The 800 billion is not on salaries alone; hell salary sef is not up to 40% of that money..capital expenditure for infrastructure is what makes up the bulk of the cash, ASUU is fighting for our children. But u come on Nairaland and yab ASUU. God who sees all will surely punish you.

two years down the line Buhari has not made any tangible investment in education, a man that believes women shud be in the kitchen and other room Woe unto the south-west Nigeria, for u have made ur heart a dwelling place of maggots

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by omokab: 8:54am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

I does not even knows why we the yoruba was deceive by the gambaris to vote the scam called APC.

you are a complete fool. Which yoruba are you speaking for? Who enter an agreement with ASUU and can't fulfill their promose. Buari government admitted that they inherited the agreement from the previous government and they can't run away from it, so tell me buari's fault.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by DaBillionnaire: 8:55am On Aug 16, 2017
RIPEnglish:
please don't meeted their demands, am not ready to went back to school now yet.

everyday, u murder english language, but why cry cry
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:56am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

WHERE DID YOU EXPECT BUHARI TO GET 850BILLION NAIRA WHEN BUDGET IS N369 BILLION. TO PLAN SUCH AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU DID NOT ENTER AGREEMENT INTO WILL BE DIFFICULT
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Who is the bigger curse?...

GEJ who got deceived by ASUU to make an impossible promise to ASUU but ended up not fulfilling a single part of the promise despite the fact that his government earned over 5 times more than Buhari and also spent twice the time in Aso Rock than Buhari... GEJ is a saint whom you miss but you think Buhari who inherited the N850billion debt from GEJ and is struggling to clear it in this time of low finances is the cursed one in this matter?

Some of these Jonathanians, e be like say una get migraine. undecided
Come on, government is a continuous institution. Why did Buhari inherited BVN STA and all the good economy policies of GEJ's administration.

ASSU must be paid by APC administration.

Anyway, congratulations to Buhari the president of APC and northerners Hausa Fulani 101 days in London.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by TheRealestGuy(m): 8:59am On Aug 16, 2017
Nbote:
Who did we offend abeg... What sort of hopeless aides did dis govt appoint? What is d business of d special assistant in making such categorical statement? Even if d demands cannot b met shld u com out and categorically say it?

Those of u blaming GEJ simply don't have sense. ASUU and their demands go as far back as OBJ's administration. GEJ inherited same, negotiated with dem and dey agreed on fresh terms. Dats what negotiation does. There has always been and there will always b strike actions but d most important thing is how d govt negotiates with dem. D govt doesn't have to meet their terms but simply agree on a new one with dem. Such statement only shows how insensitive some of these morons are.

Shehu gave an indication that the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government might not be able to meet the huge financial obligation the striking lecturers were demanding since the N850bn debt was more than the total allocation to the Ministry of Education in the 2017 Budget, which he put at N369bn.
Shehu said, “Governments enter into agreements that they can pay for. Ability to pay is a key requirement in going into agreements.

Our Aso clinic's budget is more than dat of our teaching hospitals combined but yet our President has spent more than 150days in total in London for medical treatment..

Mr 9jakohai the funny hypocrite see this.

Not everything is about GEJ or 2015 election you stinking hypocrite calling someone a bigot.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by PassingShot(m): 9:01am On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

To be fair, in 2013....the money looked payable...until oil fell in 2014. That's where issues started.

The real thing is that fees have to go up....or we find N3 trillion now. Just for universites

1.You are a childish bigot.Sorry, but it is the truth.

[b]2.ASUU went on strike twice in GEJ's regime(2012, and 2013)...to get the govt to pay up the N3 trillion agreed in 2009 by Yaradua. GEJ's labour minister finally told them the truth during the second strike in 2013....that govt could not afford N3 trillion, and instead offered N1 trillion over 5 years....which they were able to pay N200bn before oil price falls made that impossible.
(Infact, just to show you how bad things were regarding financing....Governor Wike in 2013 when he was Minsiter of Educaiton signed an agreement with polytechinc lecturers to increase their salaries....an agreement all the parties were happy with. Only for the salaries and wages commision to look at the agreement and tell them that it was impossible to pay such salaries. Back in the good days of GEJ....)

3.At the moment, if we want universities to be adequately funded....we need N3 trillion naira at least. GEJ's last budget was N5 trillion in 2015. This govt is spending N8 trillion this year....much of which is borrowed. Would you agree they spend N5trillion just on universities without even spending on other sectors of education like primary, secondary, polys, colleges of education?

4.Fee rises are inevitable. Infact, fees rose under GEJ's regime in the wake of the new 2013 agreement ASUU signed with govt...simply because VC's realized that the extra money was never coming. And fees may have to go up[/b]

5.Seriously, give up your tribal bigotry. I myself have been deceived and tricked by people of all tribes, and have been helped and treated well by people of all tribes. Losing an election in 2015 is not the end of the world.
You're preaching to senseless wailers blinded by chronic bigotry.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by WhiteSoup: 9:03am On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

To be fair, in 2013....the money looked payable...until oil fell in 2014. That's where issues started.

The real thing is that fees have to go up....or we find N3 trillion now. Just for universites

1.You are a childish bigot.Sorry, but it is the truth.

[b]2.ASUU went on strike twice in GEJ's regime(2012, and 2013)...to get the govt to pay up the N3 trillion agreed in 2009 by Yaradua. GEJ's labour minister finally told them the truth during the second strike in 2013....that govt could not afford N3 trillion, and instead offered N1 trillion over 5 years....which they were able to pay N200bn before oil price falls made that impossible.
(Infact, just to show you how bad things were regarding financing....Governor Wike in 2013 when he was Minsiter of Educaiton signed an agreement with polytechinc lecturers to increase their salaries....an agreement all the parties were happy with. Only for the salaries and wages commision to look at the agreement and tell them that it was impossible to pay such salaries. Back in the good days of GEJ....)

3.At the moment, if we want universities to be adequately funded....we need N3 trillion naira at least. GEJ's last budget was N5 trillion in 2015. This govt is spending N8 trillion this year....much of which is borrowed. Would you agree they spend N5trillion just on universities without even spending on other sectors of education like primary, secondary, polys, colleges of education?

4.Fee rises are inevitable. Infact, fees rose under GEJ's regime in the wake of the new 2013 agreement ASUU signed with govt...simply because VC's realized that the extra money was never coming. And fees may have to go up[/b]

5.Seriously, give up your tribal bigotry. I myself have been deceived and tricked by people of all tribes, and have been helped and treated well by people of all tribes. Losing an election in 2015 is not the end of the world.

What is this one saying exactly?
undecided

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by RIPEnglish: 9:03am On Aug 16, 2017
DaBillionnaire:

everyday, u murder english language, but why cry cry
it must died
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by pinkbae(f): 9:05am On Aug 16, 2017
RIPEnglish:
please don't meeted their demands, am not ready to went back to school now yet.
U beta went back to skul cos u was kills our beloved English
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 16, 2017
TheRealestGuy:

Mr 9jakohai the funny hypocrite see this.

Not everything is about GEJ or 2015 election you stinking hypocrite calling someone a bigot.

I called the person I called a bigot because of his comments about gambaris. You can critique people for not voting for GEJ without resorting to tribal bigotry.

Regarding the points you raised...yes...the govt is alleged to have spent 30million on presidential treatment ...ie 10,905,000,000 naira(10.9 billion naira).

That's a lot of money....but remember our universities need 800billion naira from the GEJ agreement (and keep in mind that I agreed with the fact that govt of GEJ did not have the means to meet ASUU's original demand of N3 trillion from the 2009 agreement.).

In brief....wasteful London spending otherwise....we need far more than what we are spending treating Bubu in London to adequately fund our universities.

According to the 2009 agreement...we need N1.5 trillion per annum to spend on universities. N10.9billion is a small drop compared to that.

I have no issue with GEJ supporters,or Bubu supporters...till they start using gross tribalistic language. Sorry...but that's not right.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

What is this one saying exactly?
undecided

Points I and 5 states that you can criticise people for voting for Bubu without resorting to tribalistic language about gambaris, and whatever. Makes you just as bad as Bubu supporters who use bigoted terms.

Focus on points 2-4....that is the meat of the issue. In brief....govt cannot fund university education.....or GEJ would have just paid the N3 trillion promised in 2009 by 2012. The fact that he could not shows that the era of govt funding universities is over.

Education is expensive.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by simonco(m): 9:11am On Aug 16, 2017
Buhari is coming back today. Breaking news.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Keballl: 9:13am On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Who is the bigger curse?...

GEJ who got deceived by ASUU to make an impossible promise to ASUU but ended up not fulfilling a single part of the promise despite the fact that his government earned over 5 times more than Buhari and also spent twice the time in Aso Rock than Buhari... GEJ is a saint whom you miss but you think Buhari who inherited the N850billion debt from GEJ and is struggling to clear it in this time of low finances is the cursed one in this matter?

Some of these Jonathanians, e be like say una get migraine. undecided

Will you shut the eff up. The humongous budget of Aso Rock puts your hypocrisy to shame.

Your presidency is busy budgeting trillions of naira with nothing to show and you are here typing nonsense.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by RIPEnglish: 9:13am On Aug 16, 2017
pinkbae:

U beta went back to skul cos u was kills our beloved English
I am still on school Ma.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Sunnyja: 9:14am On Aug 16, 2017
Skillbobralph:
And these same people were the one shouting and condemning ASUU strikes during Jonathan and PDP regime. APC is the worst thing to have happened to Nigeria...
This is one of the reasons Bubu is throwing the CONFAB 2014 report into the archive simply because ASUU was on strike when the report was made!
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by TheRealestGuy(m): 9:14am On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

I called the person I called a bigot because of his comments about gambaris. You can critique people for not voting for GEJ without resorting to tribal bigotry.

Regarding the points you raised...yes...the govt is alleged to have spent 30million on presidential treatment ...ie 10,905,000,000 naira(10.9 billion naira).

That's a lot of money....but remember our universities need 800billion naira from the GEJ agreement (and keep in mind that I agreed with the fact that govt of GEJ did not have the means to meet ASUU's original demand of N3 trillion from the 2009 agreement.).

In brief....wasteful London spending otherwise....we need far more than what we are spending treating Bubu in London to adequately fund our universities.

According to the 2009 agreement...we need N1.5 trillion per annum to spend on universities. N10.9billion is a small drop compared to that.

I have no issue with GEJ supporters,or Bubu supporters...till they start using gross tribalistic language. Sorry...but that's not right.

You obviously failed to assimilate the precious points made in that post, all you can think of is trying to defend your Buhari.

Common sense is indeed uncommon and the joke is on you.

You're much more worse than that first guy you quoted.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by WhiteSoup: 9:15am On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

Points I and 5 states that you can criticise people for voting for Bubu without resorting to tribalistic language about gambaris, and whatever. Makes you just as bad as Bubu supporters who use bigoted terms.

Focus on points 2-4....that is the meat of the issue. In brief....govt cannot fund university education.....or GEJ would have just paid the N3 trillion promised in 2009 by 2012. The fact that he could not shows that the era of govt funding universities is over.

Education is expensive.

Honestly I still don't knows what this one is saying.. undecided
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 9:15am On Aug 16, 2017
melejo:
When did you start reading news, that agreement was signed since 1999
Hmmm... 1999?... maybe you must be reading different news from everyone else. Cos the bone of contention today is from an agreement of 2009 which was re-negotiated with beautiful promises in 2013; and which the then govt never fulfilled.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/breaking-ASUU-begins-indefinite-strike/

The fact of this case is clear to any sound and unbiased mind, the Nigerian government cannot fund education as it should. If the govt could not fulfil these financial obligations when it made far more money, I doubt it can meet up with the obligations now.

My previous comment by the way was in response to a deliberately mischievous and confused chap who labelled GEJ a saint and PMB a curse for being unable to magically clear the huge debts he inherited from GEJ.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by pawesome(m): 9:17am On Aug 16, 2017
Ayam waitin to hear f a solution dt will affect dem..na very simple tjn fr dis present government
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 16, 2017
TheRealestGuy:

You obviously failed to assimilate the precious points made in that post, all you can think of is trying to defend your Buhari.

Common sense is indeed uncommon and the joke is on you.

You're much more worse than that first guy you quoted.

Seems you misunderstood me....and for the record...I am apolitical. None of the governments in Nigeria past or present impress me economic wise.(Right now...I want a govt that would do the hard things needed to make us an exporter or manufactured goods...and this govt, or the previous ones ain't it.).

And the main thrust of my point IS that govt cannot fund universities adequately.

Now reread my posts with that in mind. And if you don't get it...sorry for you.

And by the way....tribal bigotry is wrong.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by BiggyBamBam: 9:19am On Aug 16, 2017
$30 million spent on Buhari's treatment in London so far x N355 (Exchange Rate I used in sending money to Nigeria) = N10,650,000,000.

Nigerians are crazy...
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by tafabaloo(m): 9:19am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

See you.

You be white soup indeed!

Am loss at what to remark at your level of reasoning.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

Honestly I still don't knows what this one is saying.. undecided

Have a good morning.

(I've tried! grin)
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

I do not is the correct form not I does not
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Midgut(m): 9:20am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

Hope you intentionally wrote this! An unreasonable words mared with grammatical blunders.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Segibambo(m): 9:20am On Aug 16, 2017
We’ll be diving head first to creating our first video. In the first part, we looked at a detailed description of the user interface of our choice software, VideoScribe. The basic elements of a whiteboard video being a script/storyboard, voice over and post production process.

Writing your first Script and Story Board

Script

We’ll be making a short script and storyboard for a hypothetical company called Blue-Hyphen, a security solution company that prevents cyber attacks and other related security issues....

Read more... https://www.nairaland.com/3991553/learn-how-create-whiteboard-video
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by captleonerd(m): 9:26am On Aug 16, 2017
9japrof:
One problem I have with this government is that they talk freaking too much, they don't know when to talk and when to keep mute.

You just had an industrial dispute with your staff and the best you can come up with is this trash. The excuse of where would they bring out the cash to pay the 800 billion plus debt arrears is simply flimsy and inexcusable. The over 30 million dollars and counting already alledgedly spent in the President's treatment was it captured in the budget?

Oh God why did you bring me into this country called Nigeria, every sane person who dabbles into naija's political space becomes insane and speaks gilberish...
only a fool will believe the FG has spent 30m dollars of buharis health. If u have ti exaggerate try and make use of your brain in the process please
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 9:26am On Aug 16, 2017
Jolar101:

Come on, government is a continuous institution. Why did Buhari inherited BVN STA and all the good economy policies of GEJ's administration.

ASSU must be paid by APC administration.

Anyway, congratulations to Buhari the president of APC and northerners Hausa Fulani 101 days in London.
Remain focused on the topic, we are talking of an ASUU debt of N850billion, an amount which was negotiated by GEJ but but which he failed to fulfil its payment.

Yes! govt is a continuum and the current government never mentioned anywhere that it isnt going to pay the debt. But no matter how you try to twist it, it is pure foolishness for anyone to think that the very much richer govt which incurred the debt was a saintly govt, while the much poorer govt which inherited and is struggling to clear the debt is a curse. That is the basis of my previous comment..Pure foolishness..
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Funkybabee(f): 9:29am On Aug 16, 2017
Useless government and country I ever seen!!!!!
They can allocate billions for their minister to buy jeep, but they can't meet ASUU demand.. even if they should pay it installmental, they even open their mouth jagada that they can't meet the demand.....keep deceiving yourself youth if you can't take your future from those old cabals that will how u are going to continue suffer for it.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB Frustration Gives Fresh Secondary School Graduate His First Lesson In Life / 11 Funny Things Nigerian Students Can Relate To. / War In Amassoma, NDU Host Community (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.