Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? (1730 Views)

My Baby's Skin Problem Now A Story Of The Past / My Baby's Skin Problem Is Worrisome (Disturbing Photos) / Is My Baby Going To Die? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by saydfact(m): 9:47am On Aug 17, 2017
Written by: KiddiesPlate

The world health organization advises starting to give food that is complementary to breast milk between the ages of 4-6 months. The exact time may be determined by a pediatrician, based on the baby's growth. If his rate of growth is slow, it is advisable to introduce complementary foods, but if his rate of growth is normal, then it is advisable to wait until he is 5-6 months old. Breast feeding your baby for six month is the best because he gets all the nutrients he need at that stage.

Introducing Solid
Your baby is ready to eat solid food if he can hold his head upright his saliva is such that it makes easy for swallow solid food he's able to sit up properly with help show interest in food that you are eating.

Do's and Don’ts of Feeding Your Infant

THE DON'Ts
Do not start too early.
Before the age of four month babies do not need anything other than breast milk, because their digestive system is not fully developed; at the same time don't start late. Don't delay introducing solid if you feel your baby is ready please start. By delaying it will deprive the baby the nutrients he needs such as iron, vitamin A and D.

Do not force feed your infant by force feeding, you are creating "emotional food trauma". If he refuses some type of food first time you offer him, do not force him; rather offer him different types of food and offer the food he refuses later. Try to choose the right time to feed him, like when he is hungry or happy.

Do not give your baby food mix you've not tried individually.

Do not add salt to your baby food. Spice like garlic, ginger, onion etc are good to make your baby food tasty from 8m.

Do not feed a 6 month plus with cow milk; It contain a very small amount of vitamin C and E, as well as Iron. It also contains high level of protein and saturated fats. These substances are very harmful at this stage, and too much protein leads to an Anti-gen, Anti-body reaction.

THE DOs
Do give your baby very small amount of food and introduce solid gradually.

Do give your little ones water from 6 months, water helps with their bowel because you've just introduced them to solid and this could have a change in their bowel.

Do delay fruits like strawberry, pineapple, orange, lemon, and kiwi till s/he is 1 year because of Acidity present in them.

Thanks for reading; for more on Kid's nutrition, and best food practices, recipe and more follow @KiddiesPlate:

Instagram @ https://www.instagram.com/kiddiesplate/
Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/kiddiesplate/

picture credit: google.com

1 Like

Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by Droleo1: 9:50am On Aug 17, 2017
On the average, anytime from 6months should be okay.

Dr Leonard
Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by saydfact(m): 9:53am On Aug 17, 2017
cc: Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by edimalo(m): 3:37pm On Aug 17, 2017
anything from 6months. not really solid as in solid sha.
Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by saydfact(m): 9:47am On Aug 18, 2017
edimalo:
anything from 6months. not really solid as in solid sha.
p which Solid are you leaving out, the writer is referring to solids eg Eba, Amala etc
Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by Teewhy2: 4:14pm On Aug 28, 2017
I think pure breast milk for a year and after that the solids can come in.
Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by saydfact(m): 1:07pm On Sep 05, 2017
thanks
Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 06, 2017
Not all women can breast feed their children, some for medical reasons, others the breast refused to produce milk and some personal preferences.
Whatever the case is, not all babies will get breast milk
Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 06, 2017
also when the baby starts showing signs of being uninterested in breastfeeding n wanting to eat what ur eating... ths can be as early as even 4 months
Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by Liftedhands(f): 12:02pm On Sep 20, 2017
Teewhy2:
I think pure breast milk for a year and after that the solids can come in.
wrong! Breastmilk only can never satisfy a child till one year! Solids like pureed and mashed food plus milk, 3ither breastmilk or formula should go hand in hand once the child is 5-6months old.

1 Like

Re: When Should I Start Solid For My Baby…? by saydfact(m): 12:22pm On Sep 25, 2017
true talk.
Liftedhands:
wrong! Breastmilk only can never satisfy a child till one year! Solids like pureed and mashed food plus milk, 3ither breastmilk or formula should go hand in hand once the child is 5-6months old.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cure All Health Issues With STC30(The Miracle Product) / How To Flush Out Infections From Your Body With Lime / Good Healthy Eating Plan For A Teenage Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.