Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,082 members, 7,953,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:47 PM

Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) (21224 Views)

What Does God Command About Restitution And Reconciliation? / The Importance Of Restitution In Believer's Life. / Help Needed Concerning Restitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by SirImole(m): 12:30pm On Aug 20, 2017
Lol!

Restitution is a very strong word/term/exercise/act, attempt it without the guidance of holy spirit at your own peril.

How do you know that Julianah is not only marketing her brand if not book at least?

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by MustiizRaja(m): 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2017
iVentHub:
OP na you post na you still first to comment.. I think restitution should start with you...

lwkmmdddd on top say na him post and first comment

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by 701ecilana: 1:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
sonofthunder:
God give us the grace to rightly align our ways with you and with our fellow men...
Amen.
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by 701ecilana: 1:36pm On Aug 20, 2017
iVentHub:
OP na you post na you still first to comment.. I think restitution should start with you...
cheesy
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by 701ecilana: 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2017
sisisioge:
Whew! I'm so sorry embarassed I'm one of those who believe some things are simply unnecessary. Nobody asked her to lie or unlie in the first place...let's just live right biko and mind our spooning bizez! I'm so sorry embarassed
Does bezez stands for bizness?
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by sisisioge: 1:39pm On Aug 20, 2017
701ecilana:

Does bezez stands for bizness?

Yes ma grin
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 20, 2017
iVentHub:

grin you are right. Sge must av forgotten to add what made her ftc but shld av modified her post instead.
Expecting her to say sorry and confess wy she did it. Restitution. Oya!
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by 701ecilana: 1:43pm On Aug 20, 2017
Daviddson:

Wrong, sir! You mean the money you were owing before you became born again has passed away too?
Bros, restitution is biblical. Zachaeus did it, Paul offered to pay Philemon whatever los he had incurred by his slave Onesimus running away. And a host of other examples.
I had started typing exactly this, then i stopped only to read this. Thank you.

Some Christians seem to pick and choose from what to believe and live by from the scriptures.

2 Likes

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by 701ecilana: 1:45pm On Aug 20, 2017
sisisioge:

Yes ma grin
Okay o.
New word added to the dictionary
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Habeyy(m): 2:01pm On Aug 20, 2017
dapyd1:
SHE LIED

Restitution does not equate to lying.

If I steal a phone from someone. I later give my life to Christ and I want restitution. I apologize to the person and return the phone (if possible). I believe in Romans 8 that there is no condemnation for me in Christ Jesus.

It does not confer me the right to lie that I never stole a phone in the first place. That's the issue she is facing
thank you sir
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Habeyy(m): 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2017
Hello op,you did a great job and we thank God for juliana's life.
You raised some vital points
First of Juliana and the second about waec
Friend,let us use the case of the adulterous woman bin the bible
She was about to be stoned. What did Jesus said?
He asked of anybody out of them that had not done what the woman was accused of should cast the stone
None came out
Then Jesus said woman "I also do not condemn you"go forth and sin no more
Other than that,Jesus didn't ask her to return anything or go to the hill to make her case settled
Ours is not to criticise
Restitution is good but it must,i repeat must not may. Restitution must be commanded and guided by God true the Holy spirit
Our heart and mind is precious to God.. .intentuon matters
For Toyo,we ve seen her act but her intention is clear to Her and to God
To the Issue of Waec certificate
On a second thought, I concur with those not won over by the gesture
If I return Waec, what about my BSc, Professional qualifications and all the salaries that had been paid to me using the certificate
We modern day Christian are not subjected to mosaic laws,we are a new being after rebirth.
Nobody will stop the other person from practicing mosaic laws but if you want to adopt the doctrine,you must do it in full
Another example is if I marry three wives before becoming a Christian, I must wait and listen to God to direct me on what and how to do things
Restitution is more than what an elder in the church will lead
Only God wisdom can solve it perfectly
Most modern day Christians are like Pharisees, they do things for people to see and praise them
Restitution shouldn't be made a diktat
Let God order it
Pls your intentions matters
It is more than going to church, crying at every revival, answering altar calls
Don't fall into sin pls
If God doesn't order your step and you do some things
OYO may be Your case
I rest my case
Congratulations to Juliana Olayode
Some one should help me tell her that I like her
She is pretty

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
Not all sins requires restitution, else you create more problems for yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 20, 2017
@ Op, I just finished seeing this movie "War room" and God knows how bad I feel right now about certain stuffs I have done in my life.
Restitution is good, but one needs to apply wisdom. I do read the bible once in a while before now, but I have a question and I will love you to elucidate on this.

Saul was a murderer and a chief prosecutor of Christains before his fortunate encounter on his way to Damascus.

I believed he started preaching the gospel as soon as he encoutered Ananias.

But I don't find any where in the Bible he went back to those (families) he murdered their loved ones to ask for forgiveness. I stand to be educated.

Would you then say He was wrong not to have gone back to the families to ask for restitution?

Secondly, I see a Masters degree holder going back to make restitution by returning a WAEC certificate he/she acquired by cheating in an exam years back. Why I am happy to see or read about it, I still think it doesn't add up.

WAEC certificate is the very foundation that gave birth to college eduacation (1st degree), Masters , salaries, etc.

I am tempted to believe simply returning a WAEC certificate without returing other degrees, salaries, everything acquired via that salaries or as a result of your educational qualification, is incomplete.

If the WAEC certificate is returned, everything acquired via it and even the knowledge or intellectual property acquired as a result, will also be discarded.

Now that is complete restitution. Is that possible?

Pls revert. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by yelinco1(m): 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2017
AM HAPPY FOR HER SHA!
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Zinny25(f): 4:21pm On Aug 20, 2017
wjxavier:
Perhaps the OP meant admitting wrong. This is not restitution.

Restitution is demonic.

A certain brother had been sleeping with his brothers wife, when he suddenly got born again.

He stopped and started living godly all his days.

One day, he goes to church and hears the accursed message of restitution.

He gets home, calls his older brother aside and confesses his "past deeds".

Big bro is like "No lele nah...shebi my wife Na our wife. It's all good"

It was almost 2am when the brother got up and hacked his little brother to death.

Shey restitution will let him make heaven sha?

To you reading this...

Restitution is basically some old fool telling you how to live.

First of all, the new creation is new. He never sinned...never existed before.

So he basically has no past to go and confess anywhere.

But what about wrongs done as a Christian?

Is it your wrong?

Wait! Why is always some self-righteous bard harping on this issue, and telling others how to live?

Beware of dogs.
it's not everything that one requires restitution. He made a mistake by calling his brother to tell him that. Before one makes restitution, he needs to pray, then seek godly counsel from pastor or elders. I'm sure if he had done that it wouldn't have ended that way.
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by GoodMuyis(m): 5:45pm On Aug 20, 2017
dapyd1:
SHE LIED

Restitution does not equate to lying.

If I steal a phone from someone. I later give my life to Christ and I want restitution. I apologize to the person and return the phone (if possible). I believe in Romans 8 that there is no condemnation for me in Christ Jesus.
It does not confer me the right to lie that I never stole a phone in the first place. That's the issue she is facing

If you previously lied, restitution required that you unlie, go back an tell the truth.

In a secular world if you mistakenly give someone false information and later notice that the details you gave was false wont you care to contact the person and say the correct thing even with apology?

How much more if you are a Christian and you did what you knew is wrong, wont you go back correct it?

Maybe you are that type of Christian
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by GoodMuyis(m): 5:47pm On Aug 20, 2017
Zinny25:
it's not everything that one requires restitution. He made a mistake by calling his brother to tell him that. Before one makes restitution, he needs to pray, then seek godly counsel from pastor or elders. I'm sure if he had done that it wouldn't have ended that way.

Dont mind the lair, he pretend as if h.e did not read my second post
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by GoodMuyis(m): 6:20pm On Aug 20, 2017
specter:
@ Op, I just finished seeing this movie "War room" and God knows how bad I feel right now about certain stuffs I have done in my life.
Restitution is good, but one needs to apply wisdom. I do read the bible once in a while before now, but I have a question and I will love you to elucidate on this.

Saul was a murderer and a chief prosecutor of Christains before his fortunate encounter on his way to Damascus.

Pls revert. Thanks.

The case of Saul, the book of Acts did not reveal in any case that Paul did make any public apology for his past. But he was able to lay a confident claim in Act 23 & 24. With that I will assume he had make his way right with the people, remember that when people began to be suspicious of Him it was Barnabas that integrated into the Christian Community.

Act 23:1 And Paul, earnestly beholding the council, said, Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day.
Act 24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.

--
The case of returned WAEC certificate, what the public have was publication from waec, no other details was provided as to whether they made their restitution to other organization.

I have heard of a Man who burn all his certificates, claiming it on the advice of the Pastor, this could have being a case of restitution (I dont know). There was another viral story of a Nigerian boy who drop out of school at 300L or 400L I cant remember.
=>My self refuse to go after my waec result since 2008 (Exam Malpractice in some subjects) and I never care to print it out for any use yet am doing fine today.

--
Talking about perfect restitution, its Only Holy Spirit that can answer that, and were we need to make necessary restitution He will impress it upon us

The reason why I create this Topic is for us to encourage those who make restitution or Right the Wrong and not giving them backlash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by senorova(m): 6:29pm On Aug 20, 2017
GoodMuyis:
Restitution is one of the cardinal principles of the Bible, call it doctrine. "Restitution is making amends for wrongs done against our fellow men, restoring stolen things to the rightful owners, paying debts, giving back where one has defrauded, making confessions to the offended and apologizing to those slandered so as to have a conscience void of offence towards God and man. Genesis 20:1-8; 14-18; Exodus 22:1-7; Leviticus 6:1-17; Numbers 5:6-8; 2 Samuel 12:1-6; Proverbs 6:31; Ezekiel 33:14-16; Mathew 23:24; Luke 19:8,9; Acts 23:1-5; 24:16; James 4:17; 5:6."

The Purpose of restitution is to clear our conscience from condemnation, so as to receive justification from God. There are people in the bible that made restitution:

Herod return Abraham's wife with apology
David apologized for cutting King Saul Rob
Zacheous return three-fold of what he wrongly collected.
Paul apologized for insulting the high priest.
Etc
The above shows that restitution is important and shows maturity in the Christianity we profess. But it’s a pain in the heart when I read online the number of people who return their WAEC certificate in the process of restitution, and how we the same Christian who should be happy and applaud them for a bravery action went about insulting them.

The same happen to Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby), who came out to make amendment of her wrong, she went as far as publishing a 150 page book just to make peace with God and please him, yet we that we label ourselves children of God will be among the people who condemned her, this is unjust. We should be happy to see Christian who publicly raised the banner of true Christianity, as for me I congratulate her for that action … and am happy for her.

David said through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (Ps 32)
1. ...Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

We cannot justify ourselves, God is the only one that can justify us. After genuine repentance, it is expected of us to make any amendment of any wrong done this will clear our mind from any condemnation whether from self or satan, also this will show that we are genuine children of God.

Restitution will not hurt you, rather it create prestigious reflection of you to the world. In all the case I did restitution, to Muslim or Christian, none of them had ever condemned me. If you did yours God will be happy with you.
It is better to pleased God always …. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile….

While I understand and agree with the significance of restitution in the christian walk, I don't believe the bolded statement holds true.
The bible explicitly states that justification comes only by faith in that Christ has made us right with God, irrespective of past mistakes.
The only reason for restitution is to have a conscience void of offense towards our fellow men, for by this we walk in love. If there's anything to restitute with God for, it is to repent from past deeds and walk in newness of life. No amount of corrections can ever pay for one's past sins before God....only the finished work of Jesus is enough to pay, and has been paid. Hallelujah •

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Iffffffy(f): 7:58pm On Aug 20, 2017
In a situation whereby the person that was offended has passed away, what could be done?
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by GoodMuyis(m): 8:15pm On Aug 20, 2017
senorova:

While I understand and agree with the significance of restitution in the christian walk, I don't believe the bolded statement holds true.
The bible explicitly states that justification comes only by faith in that Christ has made us right with God, irrespective of past mistakes.
The only reason for restitution is to have a conscience void of offense towards our fellow men, for by this we walk in love. If there's anything to restitute with God for, it is to repent from past deeds and walk in newness of life. No amount of corrections can ever pay for one's past sins before God....only the finished work of Jesus is enough to pay, and has been paid. Hallelujah •

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Thank You Maybe I missed it there wink
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by GoodMuyis(m): 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2017
Iffffffy:
In a situation whereby the person that was offended has passed away, what could be done?

Well I think Apology cant be offered to the dead. But if it involved property, it still be returned
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Habeyy(m): 8:30pm On Aug 20, 2017
specter:

I believed he started preaching the gospel as soon as he encoutered Ananias.

But I don't find any where in the Bible he went back to those (families) he murdered their loved ones to ask for forgiveness. I stand to be educated.

Would you then say He was wrong not to have gone back to the families to ask for restitution?

Secondly, I see a Masters degree holder going back to make restitution by returning a WAEC certificate he/she acquired by cheating in an exam years back. Why I am happy to see or read about it, I still think it doesn't add up.

WAEC certificate is the very foundation that gave birth to college eduacation (1st degree), Masters , salaries, etc.

I am tempted to believe simply returning a WAEC certificate without returing other degrees, salaries, everything acquired via that salaries or as a result of your educational qualification, is incomplete.

If the WAEC certificate is returned, everything acquired via it and even the knowledge or intellectual property acquired as a result, will also be discarded.

Pls revert. Thanks.
specter thank you sir
I will also watch the film
Thanks for sharing your thought
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Iffffffy(f): 9:59pm On Aug 20, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Well I think Apology cant be offered to the dead. But if it involved property, it still be returned
to who
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by Kingpinukecy(m): 1:29am On Aug 21, 2017
Gud words from u
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by SAINTHUD(m): 6:28am On Aug 21, 2017
GoodMuyis:
Restitution is one of the cardinal principles of the Bible, call it doctrine. "Restitution is making amends for wrongs done against our fellow men, restoring stolen things to the rightful owners, paying debts, giving back where one has defrauded, making confessions to the offended and apologizing to those slandered so as to have a conscience void of offence towards God and man. Genesis 20:1-8; 14-18; Exodus 22:1-7; Leviticus 6:1-17; Numbers 5:6-8; 2 Samuel 12:1-6; Proverbs 6:31; Ezekiel 33:14-16; Mathew 23:24; Luke 19:8,9; Acts 23:1-5; 24:16; James 4:17; 5:6."

The Purpose of restitution is to clear our conscience from condemnation, so as to receive justification from God. There are people in the bible that made restitution:

Herod return Abraham's wife with apology
David apologized for cutting King Saul Rob
Zacheous return three-fold of what he wrongly collected.
Paul apologized for insulting the high priest.
Etc

The above shows that restitution is important and shows maturity in the Christianity we profess. But it’s a pain in the heart when I read online the number of people who return their WAEC certificate in the process of restitution, and how we the same Christian who should be happy and applaud them for a bravery action went about insulting them.

The same happen to Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby), who came out to make amendment of her wrong, she went as far as publishing a 150 page book just to make peace with God and please him, yet we that we label ourselves children of God will be among the people who condemned her, this is unjust. We should be happy to see Christian who publicly raised the banner of true Christianity, as for me I congratulate her for that action … and am happy for her.

David said through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (Ps 32)
1. ...Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

We cannot justify ourselves, God is the only one that can justify us. After genuine repentance, it is expected of us to make any amendment of any wrong done this will clear our mind from any condemnation whether from self or satan, also this will show that we are genuine children of God.

Restitution will not hurt you, rather it create prestigious reflection of you to the world. In all the case I did restitution, to Muslim or Christian, none of them had ever condemned me. If you did yours God will be happy with you.
It is better to pleased God always …. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile….
. A precise understanding of the Bible is required for a successful Christian walk. It’s why the Bible enjoins us to rightly divide the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15) The Amplified translation says we must correctly analyse the Word of Truth. Restitution is a very big subject in certain Christian circles. Unfortunately many people have not taken time to study the subject and so they’re uninformed about what the Bible actually says. Some Christians don’t take time to study the Bible for themselves. In this article we will lay out the truth about restitution plain and simple.
Contrary to widely held belief restitution is not a moral philosophy. It was a plank of the legal system of the Law of Moses. Under Mosaic law restitution is a system of civil compensation for economic felonies – fraud, stealing, misappropriation (including appropriation of lost but found items), and loss of economic asset occasioned by negligence. In essence, restitution was treated as a tort in the property law of the Mosaic judicial system. The passages on restitution under Mosaic Law are Exodus 21: 33-34, Exodus 22: 1-15, Leviticus 5:14-16, Numbers 5:5-7 and Leviticus 6:1-7. We find references and applications in 2 Samuel 12:5-6 and Proverbs 6:31. Exodus 22 lays down different scenarios, while Leviticus 6 focuses on financial crimes like malappropriation of securities for deposits, stealing, fraud as well as lost but found properties. Compensation and the atonement accompanying restitution are discussed in Numbers 5:1-8.
The idea of restitution under Mosaic law is very simple: a thief, fraudster or misappropriator must not be allowed to keep what he took. Otherwise property rights will make no sense. And the man who suffered loss of asset by fire occasioned by the negligence of his neighbour must be compensated for his loss. Same for maimed livestock. A civil loss or tort must be compensated. Moreover, a civil penalty in the form of percentage of value is also attached to disincentivise fraud, misappropriation and negligence.
Now, ancient Israel was a theocracy. Even though these felonies have been dimensioned into civil liabilities the fact remains they were still offences against the State – God. God was the head of government. God was the State. And so these torts and criminal liabilities were also deemed sins against God. Therefore the State (God) mandated absolution. For that very reason, a restitution offering must be made. Blood was required to absolve sin hence the law specified that “unblemished ram from the flock” must be offered to the priest. In this way the priest will make atonement on behalf of the culprit “before the Lord, and he will be forgiven for anything he may have done to incur guilt.” (Leviticus 6:7) The “unblemished ram” of course points to Jesus the Christ, the spotless Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. (John 1:29) In Leviticus 7 restitution offering is equated to sin offering.
Restitution under Mosaic Law is therefore a statutory provision for loss of economic assets. Now, here’s the problem: we have expanded the idea of restitution beyond the contemplation of Mosaic law, and in the process generated contortions. Our extensions and extrapolations are beyond the purview of the Law of Moses. The problem with these extrapolations and extensions is that they often lead to convolutions, inconsistencies, importations and absurdities. How for example do you restitute sex? And how do you restitute murder? These were not contemplated in the original statutes. They’re not economic crimes. And so we’ve had to resort to creative convolutions and contortions, leading to uneven application of the principle. Now, we talk of restitution “where feasible.” But it’s either the law applies across board or not. We can’t pick and choose, or the law is no longer objective, it is subjective. In any case, we as Christians are not subject to Mosaic Law. We’re not under the jurisdiction of the Law; we’re under the dispensation of grace. (Romans 6:14) No one can find justification under the Law of Moses. (Galatians 3:10)
The one instance of “restitution” in the New Testament is the case of a rather diminutive figure named Zacchaeus. (Luke 19:1-10) That passage has somehow morphed into a very extensive and pervasive doctrinal scaffolding because we struggle with grace. Zacchaeus was a tax collection agent for the oppressive Roman Empire. He had the designation of “Chief Tax Collector.” The public relations equity of Zacchaeus was understandably miniscule, shorter than his height some might say. So much so the people referred to him as Notorious B.I.G. Okay, that was a joke but the Bible records the people referred to him as “notorious sinner” and since he was a BIG player in the tax collection business… Never mind! Zacchaeus offered to give half of his immense fortune to the poor. This is akin to the Giving Pledge initiated by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, two of the wealthiest billionaires in this age. They and about 128 others have pledged to give more than half of their wealth to philanthropy or charitable causes either during their lifetime or in their will. Zacchaeus would have joined their rank were he alive today. Zacchaeus also offered to return illicit gain from tax extortion. In fact he pledged to give back four times what he extorted, referencing Exodus 22:1 about restituting four sheep for each sheep stolen. It is to be noted that Jesus referred to Zacahaeus as a “son of Abraham” for this magnanimity of spirit. We’ll soon see why.
But why did Zacchaeus make this giving pledge? Was it in diffidence to the Law of Moses and all those commandments on restitution? The answer is no. Zacchaeus’ offer was technically not restitution under the Law of Moses. Note that he didn’t state he would make a sin offering to the priest. Restitution in the Old Testament was accompanied by guilt offering. (Leviticus 5:15, 6:7) Zacchaeus was ACTUALLY responding to the sermon of John the Baptizer (aka John the Baptist, though he wasn’t a member of the Baptist Church.) John was the fiery eccentric preacher who took on the Establishment of ancient Israel and literally lost his head. He was beheaded by Herod the Tetrarch. John the Baptizer was the forerunner of Jesus.
John had told the people who came to hear him preach: “Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don’t just say to each other, “We’re safe, for we’re descendants of ABRAHAM.” That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones.” (Luke 3:cool When Jesus called Zacchaeus a “son of Abraham” he was also referencing John the Baptizer as a follow up to the reference made by Zacchaeus. The passage goes on: “Even now the axe of God’s judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire.” The crowds asked, “What should we do?” John replied, “If you have two shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share with those who are hungry.” Even corrupt tax collectors came to be baptized and asked, “Teacher, what should we do?” He replied, “Collect no more taxes than the government requires.” (Luke 3:8-13) Zacchaeus was acting on this teaching by John the Baptizer when he made his extraordinary proposal to give half his fortune away to the poor, and offered to return the proceeds of corrupt enrichment and extortion. Zacchaeus was apprehensive of the dire warning of John the Baptizer – “The axe of God’s judgment is poised.”
John’s sermon was in turn based on the writing of Prophet Ezekiel: “If I tell a wicked person, “You’ll die for your wicked life,” and he repents of his sin and starts living a righteous and just life – being generous to the down and out, restoring what he had stolen, cultivating life-nourishing ways that don’t hurt others – he’ll live. He won’t die.” (Ezekiel 33: 14-15) No wonder Jesus declared salvation has come into the home of Zacchaeus! His life was spared. At best this is anticipatory salvation since Jesus had not gone to the cross.
The following questions arise from the Zacchaeus story:
1. Is restitution a basis of new birth salvation? The answer is no. The New Testament doctrine of salvation is predicated on Romans 10:9 (NLT): “If you openly declare Jesus Christ is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by openly declaring your faith that you’re saved.” Restitution is not a condition precedent for salvation.
2. Is a Christian REQUIRED to do restitution? Restitution is a legal provision under Mosaic Law. We are not under Mosaic Law. (Galatians 3:10) Or we will also need to make a sin offering in the form of a ram for any restitution we do. Jesus already did restitution for us on the cross. He was our sin offering. He paid the wages for our sin with his death. He was the unblemished Lamb of God who became the ram sacrificed for our sins. “For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And it was not paid by mere gold or silver, which lose their value. It was the precious blood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God. God chose him as your ransom long before the world began, but now in these last days has been revealed for your sake.” (1 Peter 1:18-20 NLT)
3. Should a Christian seek to make restitution? There’s a difference between remorse and restitution. Remorse is not restitution. Saying “I’m sorry” is not restitution. It’s just expression of remorse. You can’t have restitution without atonement. It’s why restitution under the Law of Moses (which was limited to economic tort) entailed the shedding of blood. A ram was killed as restitution. Christ did restitution for us by shedding his blood. (Hebrews 9:13-14) It’s why the writer of Hebrews cross-referenced the blood of animals shed in the Old Testament with the blood of Jesus. The blood of animals could not cleanse guilt AND conscience. Could only cover sin for a limited period. (Hebrews10: 2-3) The Christian who wants to do restitution for his sins must be prepared to go to the cross – a physical, time reversal and conceptual impossibility since such a person must be sinless and spotless. The very IDEA that a Christian can seek to make restitution for his sins is utter ridicule of the sacrifice of Jesus. Restitution is not mandated or mandatory in the new birth. Most people do to clear their conscience. But that guilty feeling for past sins post salvation is not of God. Not according to scriptures. The writer of the Book of Hebrews addressed the issue of guilty conscience vis a vis atonement. Unlike the blood of bulls and goats under the Law of Moses the blood of Jesus cleanses you from all sins and cleanses your conscience once for all time: “The sacrifices under that system were repeated again and again, year after year, but they were never able to provide perfect cleansing for those who came to worship. If they could have provided perfect cleansing, the sacrifices would have stopped, for the worshippers would have been purified once for all time, and their feelings of guilt would have disappeared. But instead those sacrifices actually reminded them of their sins year after year. “ (Hebrews 10:2-3 NLT) “If under the old system, the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of heifer could cleanse people from ceremonial impurity. Just think how much more the blood of Christ will purify our conscience from sinful deeds so that we can worship the living God. For by the power of the eternal Spirit, Christ offered himself to God as a perfect sacrifice for our sins.” (Hebrews 9:13-14 NLT) You need not carry that guilt anymore. The sacrifice of Jesus has cleansed your conscience. “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun.” (2 Corinthians 5:17 NLT)
4. Will a Christian go to hell if he does not do restitution? The answer is no, a Christian will not go to hell for not doing restitution. Eternal life is not a conditional gift. It is a free gift from God: “God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9 NLT)
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by GoodMuyis(m): 7:21am On Aug 21, 2017
Iffffffy:
to who

To Whomever is alive in his family I think. But before any strong restitution, Spiritual counselling must be sought
Re: Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) by GoodMuyis(m): 7:48am On Aug 21, 2017
SAINTHUD:
. A precise understanding of the Bible is required for a successful Christian walk...

Contrary to widely held belief restitution is not a moral philosophy...

You should have just summarize and post what you understand in the article you copy&paste. Myself would have made the OP too long to read if am to drop all the Ideas in my head not even copy&paste.

Everyone who believed in in restitution knew that its not the basis of Salvation read my definition above, maybe you did not digest my article properly.

BTW look at the cases below
Before the Mosaic Law
=> Abimelech return Abraham's wife with apology - Gen. 20:6-9, 14;
=> Joseph’s brothers - Gen. 50:15-19

Case that does not involves property stolen or damaged
=> David apologized for cutting King Saul Rob - I Samuel 24:4
=> Paul apologized for insulting the high priest - Acts 23:3

Summary for understanding

SOME SPECIFIC RESTITUTION TO MAKE
a) We should return things that we have stolen, picked or converted to our own use but which belong to another person or to our place of work. These include our tithes and first fruits, the non-payment of which is robbery and which we must restore – Lev. 6:2-5; Lk. 19:8; Mal. 3:8; Lev. 5:14-16.
b)We should replace things we have destroyed which belong to another person - Ex.22:5-6; Ex.21:18-19.

=>bi) We should also reconcile with people we quarrelled with in the past - Matt.5:23-25; Matthew 18:15-17.
=>bii)We should make restitution of all lies and things wrongly said about someone and which has affected the person or is presently causing trouble 2 Sam.16:5-8; 2 Sam.19:18-20; Acts23:1-5.
=>biii) Marriages contracted contrary to biblical standards should also be visited. Lawful parental demands should be granted while people who have married another person's spouse must prayerfully take steps towards restitution - Luke 3:8; Gen.20:14; Romans 2:13-16.

Source: http://ss.rccgnet.org/restitution1_2.html

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jehovah's Witnesses: Hundreds Of Child Sex Abuse Claims In The Religion / Rev. Michael Ewache Dedicates First Child After 32 Years Of Childlessness / Here is why you Sleep in Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.