Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? (51915 Views)

What's The Difference Between NOUN Certificate & Regular University Certificate? / Peace Eze Is University Of Louisiana, U.S Overall Outstanding Graduate (Photos) / Agony Of 2.2 Bachelors Degree With Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Bishops10(m): 10:46pm On Aug 19, 2017
I have a lot of things I've been thinking of,one of them is why the university certificate is called a bachelors degree?
If you say its assumed(Back in the days)that only bachelors go to university what about the married ones? Or the spinsters

Cc. Fynestboi

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by squarelead(m): 10:48pm On Aug 19, 2017
Bishops10:
I have a lot of things I've been thinking of,one of them is why the university certificate is called a bachelors degree?
If you say its assumed(Back in the days)that only bachelors go to university what about the married ones? Or the spinsters

Cc. Fynestboi

Because the earth is being called earth. That's what we are being taught.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Bishops10(m): 10:51pm On Aug 19, 2017
squarelead:

Because the earth is being called earth. That's what we are being taught.
Lol....who named it eart?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Ogbeide85(m): 10:52pm On Aug 19, 2017
Because it first degree for younger age . Why second degree is for masters. My little contribution.

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by hatchy(f): 10:59pm On Aug 19, 2017
Its for yet to be married person whether male or female grin

7 Likes

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by AtkinsPlanet(m): 11:25pm On Aug 19, 2017
Funny but strange question, ******** Take your time to Check My Signature.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Bishops10(m): 12:41am On Aug 20, 2017
hatchy:
Its for yet to be married person whether male or female grin
Where there no married people in the University when that name came into existence?

4 Likes

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by olatunyemi(m): 12:45am On Aug 20, 2017
so we have the same curious minds, I asked many but they thought I was crazy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by 1Sharon(f): 1:02am On Aug 20, 2017
sexism

5 Likes

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by GdexFolami(m): 3:55am On Aug 20, 2017
Bishops10:

God

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by xtivin(m): 5:27am On Aug 20, 2017
Bachelors stay alone isn't it?, a bachelor degree simply mean you are independent in your field

106 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by MrExcel(m): 5:35am On Aug 20, 2017
If you ask me, na hu I go ask?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by laribari(m): 6:10am On Aug 20, 2017
Bishops10:

Cc. Fynestboi

Basically, bachelor is the first level of adulthood in terms of becoming a man, so at this stage it is assumed that you have no experience of many things, so it is a stage of learning. This is what first degree stands for.

However, second degree is called masters and it's a stage of perfection. You are a master in a game or in life when you have gained a lot of experience.

Reason why they call the first degree as bachelor is obviously becos back then more men are into education than women who were majorly known to take care of the home.

168 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by gqboyy(m): 6:28am On Aug 20, 2017
Because if u r married and u never do degree u r on your own

4 Likes

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 20, 2017
Not designed for babagbas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 8:46am On Aug 20, 2017
Only for first class or 2.1 graduates
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by henritinecy(m): 8:46am On Aug 20, 2017
o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by ekensi01: 8:47am On Aug 20, 2017
After God na Men.

Thats the reason. Ladies comes after devil. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by bedspread: 8:47am On Aug 20, 2017
COS HE IS NOT YET MARRIED TILL DATE

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by ademoladeji(m): 8:48am On Aug 20, 2017
Lmfao
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Humblebloke(m): 8:49am On Aug 20, 2017
it was a man's world....

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by sotall(m): 8:49am On Aug 20, 2017
OK
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by kkboy(m): 8:49am On Aug 20, 2017
Ogbeide85:
Because it first degree for younger age . Why second degree is for masters. My little contribution.

Why not spinster then?

1 Like

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by wunmi590(m): 8:50am On Aug 20, 2017
A bachelor's degree (from Middle Latin baccalaureus) or baccalaureate (from Modern Latin baccalaureatus) is an undergraduate academic degree awarded by colleges and universities upon completion of a course of study lasting three to seven years (depending on institution and academic discipline).

Historically, there were three standards for academic qualification:

Bachelor, Master and Doctor

Bacheler (pronounced bash) was firstly the basic qualification for a knight. (The term knight bachelor is also used.) This was a young man who had learned how to bash people and had other attributes (mainly money and family) so that he did not have to work. However, a certain standard of use of arms had been achieved for him to receive this recognition. He had to do more in order to be a full knight with his own standard.

As not all young men of good families wanted to spend their time with swords, it began to be used for a man qualified in other areas, such as a Bachelor of Law, or just one of an age and income to be worth marrying.

The early versions of universities worked in Latin, so converted the English word to an invented Latin one of baccalaurus, which later led to the baccalaureate. (This is also basically a sort of Latin joke, referring to the laurel crown given to a winner.)

A higher level of proficiency was then required for someone to be pronounced a Master. Further achievements allowed some men to be considered sufficiently knowledgeable to be academic teachers, for which the Latin word Doctor (meaning teacher) was applied. This usually meant he had written a book on the subject.

Thus universities based on the Western Europe model have degrees of bachelor, master and doctor.

Have a great day

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Benjom(m): 8:50am On Aug 20, 2017
I really truly need to know too smiley
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 20, 2017
It is named so because they expect you to acquire it before getting married so as not to complicate your life and generations unborn.

It is a simple something. Use your head

1 Like

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Malocity(m): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2017
Bishops10:

Adam, back in those days. Because God gave him the wisdom to do the naming of everything that was then.

1 Like

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by biggerboyc(m): 8:52am On Aug 20, 2017
The term bachelor in the 12th century referred to a knight bachelor, who was too young or poor to gather vassals under his own banner. By the end of the 13th century, it was also used by junior members of guilds or universities. By folk etymology or wordplay, the word baccalaureus came to be associated with bacca lauri ("laurel berry"wink in reference to laurels being awarded for academic success or honours.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor%27s_degree

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by kingar(m): 8:53am On Aug 20, 2017
Every student be it married or single are all bachelor during their first degree. If I lie pls come for confirmation in Uniport

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anambra Secondary Students Wear Native Cloths To School On Wednesdays / Meet Zainab Bashir, First Class Graduate Of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto / Nigerian Mum Pays N1.58k School Fees She Owed In 1969, Principal Writes Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.