Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,261 members, 7,818,888 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? (51955 Views)

What's The Difference Between NOUN Certificate & Regular University Certificate? / Peace Eze Is University Of Louisiana, U.S Overall Outstanding Graduate (Photos) / Agony Of 2.2 Bachelors Degree With Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by chika12345(m): 12:20pm On Aug 20, 2017
olatunyemi:
so we have the same curious mind, I asked many but they will thought I was crazy to even ask
With your English... They might not be wrong.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Eyenzeus: 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2017
All dos feminists weh dey collect bachelor's degree, how market
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Man2utd(m): 12:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
Because you will get married to your job or career..
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by principalgee: 12:48pm On Aug 20, 2017
Bachelor degree for both married men and women, Hmmmmmmmm, English Language no think of future before nomenclature
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Delary: 12:58pm On Aug 20, 2017
The simple reason is:
- The University issues u the first degree with "Single Honours". "Bachelor in......... Hons".
- Also, the degree is seen to possess a masculine gender rather than feminine.
- The second degree ("Masters" in most cases) is normally combined with the first degree; so, is assumed the first degree got married to the second degree; then is called master.
- Then the advancement in the marriage is then called PhD.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Delary: 12:59pm On Aug 20, 2017
Bishops10:
I have a lot of things I've been thinking of,one of them is why the university certificate is called a bachelors degree?
If you say its assumed(Back in the days)that only bachelors go to university what about the married ones? Or the spinsters

Cc. Fynestboi

The simple reason is:
- The University issues u the first degree with "Single Honours". "Bachelor in......... Hons".
- Also, the degree is seen to possess a masculine gender rather than feminine.
- The second degree ("Masters" in most cases) is normally combined with the first degree; so, is assumed the first degree got married to the second degree; then is called master.
- Then the advancement in the marriage is then called PhD.

1 Like

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by harriet412(f): 1:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:
Only for first class or 2.1 graduates

Lol, why are u so obsessed with ur 2.1 ..
Everyone here knows u graduated with a 2.1 cheesy
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by AfizDeMedici(m): 2:05pm On Aug 20, 2017
The reason for that name springs forth from midieval times largely because those who go into apprenticeships were male. The levels of achievement were in those times classed in levels known as degrees. In ancient times, what prevailed were charters and guild which were called universities. Hence you have University of Smiths, University of Tailors, etc. The first degree which is issue to those who have started learning the trade and gained some knowledge, the second degree is for those who have produced a master work that set them apart as fit to practise, they are also termed artisans. The third degree are for those who are authorities in their chosen field and can instruct others in that field. Professors only exceed doctors just by the factor of time spent in a field. (Inspired by Adams smith's Wealth of Nations and Doctors of the Church). P.s- Get my book titled 'Making the most of your twenties' bishops10

1 Like

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by olatunyemi(m): 2:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
chika12345:

With your English... They might not be wrong.
wow I saw the mistake now thank you for mentioning this
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by enemyofprogress: 2:45pm On Aug 20, 2017
It is because majority of the people that obtain it are bachelors
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by chuksoyo21(m): 3:11pm On Aug 20, 2017
wunmi590:
A bachelor's degree (from Middle Latin baccalaureus) or baccalaureate (from Modern Latin baccalaureatus) is an undergraduate academic degree awarded by colleges and universities upon completion of a course of study lasting three to seven years (depending on institution and academic discipline).

Historically, there were three standards for academic qualification:

Bachelor, Master and Doctor

Bacheler (pronounced bash) was firstly the basic qualification for a knight. (The term knight bachelor is also used.) This was a young man who had learned how to bash people and had other attributes (mainly money and family) so that he did not have to work. However, a certain standard of use of arms had been achieved for him to receive this recognition. He had to do more in order to be a full knight with his own standard.

As not all young men of good families wanted to spend their time with swords, it began to be used for a man qualified in other areas, such as a Bachelor of Law, or just one of an age and income to be worth marrying.

The early versions of universities worked in Latin, so converted the English word to an invented Latin one of baccalaurus, which later led to the baccalaureate. (This is also basically a sort of Latin joke, referring to the laurel crown given to a winner.)

A higher level of proficiency was then required for someone to be pronounced a Master. Further achievements allowed some men to be considered sufficiently knowledgeable to be academic teachers, for which the Latin word Doctor (meaning teacher) was applied. This usually meant he had written a book on the subject.

Thus universities based on the Western Europe model have degrees of bachelor, master and doctor.

Have a great day

in case ur account doesn't hold water, bachelor's degree is name after Bash Ali.. shikina....
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by linearity: 3:12pm On Aug 20, 2017
alexistaiwo:
It is named so because they expect you to acquire it before getting married so as not to complicate your life and generations unborn.

It is a simple something. Use your head

I guess you didn't comprehend the OP' question...the question is why is it 'bachelors' and not 'spinsters', since both designations fits your description above or better award 'bachelors' to make graduates and 'spinster' to the female.

The only explanation to this, is that only men were in the room, when that decision was made and bachelor was a natural choice.

Same thing with 'Masters', agreed mastery means a superior knowledge or skillset, but it is also a male designation. Most likely the reference to males as 'Master' was deliberate and well thought out scheme to postulate that males are superior to females.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by RobinHez(m): 3:21pm On Aug 20, 2017
ekensi01:
After God na Men.

Thats the reason. Ladies comes after devil. grin
Warissdis?? grin
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by RobinHez(m): 3:22pm On Aug 20, 2017
alexistaiwo:
It is named so because they expect you to acquire it before getting married so as not to complicate your life and generations unborn.

It is a simple something. Use your head

grin grin
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by deborsky(m): 3:33pm On Aug 20, 2017
ok
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by dermmy(m): 3:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
hatchy:
Its for yet to be married person whether male or female grin

Lwkmd grin
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by lizychimamanda(f): 3:59pm On Aug 20, 2017
ekensi01:
After God na Men.

Thats the reason.
Ladies comes after devil. grin
ebi like say buhari don shit poo for ur brain

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by geunik(m): 4:45pm On Aug 20, 2017
Bacheler (pronounced bash) was firstly the
basic qualification for a knight. (The term
knight bachelor is also used.) This was a
young man who had learned how to bash
people and had other attributes (mainly
money and family) so that he did not have to
work. However, a certain standard of use of
arms had been achieved for him to receive
this recognition. He had to do more in order
to be a full knight with his own standard.
As not all young men of good families
wanted to spend their time with swords, it
began to be used for a man qualified in
other areas, such as a Bachelor of Law, or
just one of an age and income to be worth
marrying.
The early versions of universities worked in
Latin, so converted the English word to an
invented Latin one of baccalaurus, which
later led to the baccalaureate. (This is also
basically a sort of Latin joke, referring to the
laurel crown given to a winner.)
A higher level of proficiency was then
required for someone to be pronounced a
Master. Further achievements allowed some
men to be considered sufficiently
knowledgeable to be academic teachers, for
which the Latin word Doctor (meaning
teacher) was applied. This usually meant he
had written a book on the subject.
Thus universities based on the Western
Europe model have degrees of bachelor,
master and doctor.
Pls check out my blog on my signature. Go to the category healthy living. Click and read articles there.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 20, 2017
Bishops10:
I have a lot of things I've been thinking of,one of them is why the university certificate is called a bachelors degree?
If you say its assumed(Back in the days)that only bachelors go to university what about the married ones? Or the spinsters

Cc. Fynestboi

bcus one is usually not married when the certificate was obtained, they call it bachelor and therefore bachelor's degree

1 Like

Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by sosodevf(m): 5:49pm On Aug 20, 2017
Its the first stage of university certificate, just a way of classifying the various stages of academics.
My thoughts though.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by pepigeorge(m): 6:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
xtivin:
Bachelors stay alone isn't it?, a bachelor degree simply mean you are independent in your field

Who taught u that?.... Many bachelors stay with their gf or male friends or siblings
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Oduok(m): 6:51pm On Aug 20, 2017
olatunyemi:
wow I saw the mistake now thanks for the mentioned
lolz... This guy humbly funny. You now have two comments to correct.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by laribari(m): 6:52pm On Aug 20, 2017
easzypeaszy:
u r right n bck den ladies r nt allowed or offered admsn to uni..part of maria curie history
exactly.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by pepigeorge(m): 6:58pm On Aug 20, 2017
laribari:

Basically, bachelor is the first level of adulthood in terms of becoming in man, so at this stage it is assumed that you have no experience of many things, so it is a stage of learning. This is what first degree stands for.

However, second degree is called masters and it's a stage of perfection. You are a master in a game or in life when you have gained a lot of experience.

Reason why they call the first bachelor is obviously becos back then more men are into education than women who were majorly known to take care of the home.

bach·e·lor
ˈbaCH(ə)lər/
noun
a man who is not and has never been married.
"Mark is a confirmed bachelor"
a person who holds an undergraduate degree from a university or college (only in titles or set expressions).
"he graduated with a bachelor's degree in philosophy"

I don't understand ur hypothesis....Bachelor is the early stage of adulthood.... Where did u learn that? I think u should know the meaning of words from the dictionary......
Sometimes if u have no ideal, just read and don't comment... Ur understanding of bachelor as the early stage of adulthood is totally wrong and fallacious.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by decollex(m): 7:26pm On Aug 20, 2017
wunmi590:
A bachelor's degree (from Middle Latin baccalaureus) or baccalaureate (from Modern Latin baccalaureatus) is an undergraduate academic degree awarded by colleges and universities upon completion of a course of study lasting three to seven years (depending on institution and academic discipline).

Historically, there were three standards for academic qualification:

Bacheler (pronounced bash) was firstly the basic qualification for a knight. (The term knight bachelor is also used.) This was a young man who had learned how to bash people and had other attributes (mainly money and family) so that he did not have to work. However, a certain standard of use of arms had been achieved for him to receive this recognition. He had to do more in order to be a full knight with his own standard.

As not all young men of good families wanted to spend their time with swords, it began to be used for a man qualified in other areas, such as a Bachelor of Law, or just one of an age and income to be worth marrying.

The early versions of universities worked in Latin, so converted the English word to an invented Latin one of baccalaurus, which later led to the baccalaureate. (This is also basically a sort of Latin joke, referring to the laurel crown given to a winner.)

A higher level of proficiency was then required for someone to be pronounced a Master. Further achievements allowed some men to be considered sufficiently knowledgeable to be academic teachers, for which the Latin word Doctor (meaning teacher) was applied. This usually meant he had written a book on the subject.

Thus universities based on the Western Europe model have degrees of bachelor, master and doctor.

Have a great day
Chai!! Copy &Paste is a Bastard!
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by olatunyemi(m): 8:40pm On Aug 20, 2017
Oduok:

lolz... This guy humbly funny. You now have two comments to correct.
okay, i am not that funny but i love learning
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Nobody: 1:06am On Aug 21, 2017
close this thread with a needle!
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Nobody: 2:45am On Aug 21, 2017
Research input: "Why is it called bachelor's degree"

Search result: Bachelor degree also refered to as "baccalaureate" originated from the 17th century Latin word baccalaureus, meaning "student with the first degree.

- GOOGLE SEARCH.
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by laribari(m): 4:25am On Aug 21, 2017
pepigeorge:

bach·e·lor
ˈbaCH(ə)lər/
noun
a man who is not and has never been married.
"Mark is a confirmed bachelor"
a person who holds an undergraduate degree from a university or college (only in titles or set expressions).
"he graduated with a bachelor's degree in philosophy"

I don't understand ur hypothesis....Bachelor is the early stage of adulthood.... Where did u learn that? I think u should know the meaning of words from the dictionary......
Sometimes if u have no ideal, just read and don't comment... Ur understanding of bachelor as the early stage of adulthood is totally wrong and fallacious.

I'm yet to understand your problem and you sounded very arrogant too. From the two examples you gave I didn't see any much difference to what I broke down.

For number 1: I'm totally on point and as for number 2: I'm still within point.

Your number 2 point says it is only in title and of cos today it is a title becos women and even married people now enter for the degree. Did you know why it was named bachelor? NO! Did you tell us why? NO! However, something must have triggered the name before it became a mere title as it is.

OK let me school you a bit. For instance in football there is a rule called bosian rule and that rule allows you to buy off your contract if you are old and have at least a year with a football club. The first man to do it was a bosian, so his name became the rule. A football swapping skill called rabona was named after a situation, even here in Nigeria we do same.

In Academics, the Boyles law, Charles law, Newton law of motion are names of the inventors. So why is first degree called a bachelor? (a state of a young adult who is just starting); Something prompted that name before it became a regular title today (due to recent involvement of women and the married). Surely, it has to do with something similar that I explained.

The term bachelor in the 12th century referred to a knight bachelor, who was too young or poor to gather vassals under his own banner. By the end of the 13th century, it was also used by junior members of guilds or universities. A young and inexperienced man is regarded as a bachelor even in the knight system. The word bachelor must first exist as a starting point of a man and it's referred to as an inexperienced man or a young man just coming up.

17th century (1608)

Juliana Morell, a Spanish woman, became the first woman to earn a doctorate degree—a Law doctorate—and, indeed, the first woman to earn any type of university degree.
Meanwhile, in the 13th century young men are already in university. Where were the women then? They keep their homes! In terms of education there are 4 century within men and women.

I can break down the knight bachelor for you as it relates to my point but it will be longer than it is already. What I explained at first (before you poked in) was just on the surface, still I'm well on point.

You didn't even sound like you know what you you saying becos what you gave was just a straight definition (from a dictionary) but everything ha history.

Go and sit down jare!
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Bishops10(m): 2:15pm On Aug 21, 2017
AfizDeMedici:
The reason for that name springs forth from midieval times largely because those who go into apprenticeships were male. The levels of achievement were in those times classed in levels known as degrees. In ancient times, what prevailed were charters and guild which were called universities. Hence you have University of Smiths, University of Tailors, etc. The first degree which is issue to those who have started learning the trade and gained some knowledge, the second degree is for those who have produced a master work that set them apart as fit to practise, they are also termed artisans. The third
degree are for those who are authorities in their chosen field and can instruct others in that field. Professors only exceed doctors just by the factor of time spent in a field. (Inspired by Adams smith's Wealth of Nations and Doctors of the Church). P.s- Get my book titled 'Making the most of your twenties' bishops10

Wow, thanks a lot for this
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by Bishops10(m): 2:21pm On Aug 21, 2017
Fit2Rule:

Because bachelors have multiple women with different specifications. That's y they bombard us with multiple course units from different disciplines (some of which are irrelevant) during the B degree.
Hahaha... Funny
Re: Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? by JohnWells: 7:25am On Feb 03, 2020
easzypeaszy:
u r right n bck den ladies r nt allowed or offered admsn to uni..part of maria curie history

When I was earning my bachelor’s degree (at a large public university, where I paid my tuition with a combination of earnings from a part-time job, grants, and student loans), my advisor was fond of saying that a college degree merely indicated to prospective employers that we were trainable. I earned my law degree from a top-tier private non-profit university, and paid for it the same way. So I spent the ten years after law school graduation paying off education loans. After four decades of resume reviews and job interviews (on both sides of the desk), I can’t help thinking that my advisor was correct.
write my essay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Mum Pays N1.58k School Fees She Owed In 1969, Principal Writes Letter / University Of Abuja Suspends The 24 Students Arrested During Cult Initiation / Massive Python Caught At Umaru Musa Yar'adua University, Katsina (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.