Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python (1246 Views)

Tutorial: Object Oriented Programming Paradigm For Beginners in Python / Who Wants To Learn Programming In Python Easily Without Stress? READ THIS / What No One Tells You About Coding In Python: Eye-opening! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 20, 2017
https://www.friendosphere.com/38/how-can-i-get-ip-of-a-specific-hop-for-traceroute-in-python

addr = socket.gethostbyname('dalitstan.org')
target = [addr]
result, unans = traceroute(target,maxttl=32)

I am doing this and getting the below output. Is there some way here to get the IP of specific hop in a variable. And also why some hop number are missing in the traceroute result?
Re: How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by Fulaman198(m): 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2017
DanielTheGeek:
https://www.friendosphere.com/38/how-can-i-get-ip-of-a-specific-hop-for-traceroute-in-python

addr = socket.gethostbyname('dalitstan.org')
target = [addr]
result, unans = traceroute(target,maxttl=32)

I am doing this and getting the below output. Is there some way here to get the IP of specific hop in a variable. And also why some hop number are missing in the traceroute result?

I'm not too familiar with Python, but couldn't you iterate through the hops and return the IP address at a specific index?
Re: How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 20, 2017
Fulaman198:

I'm not too familiar with Python, but couldn't you iterate through the hops and return the IP address at a specific index?

Returning at a specific index is the part that's not working for me. I only want it for a single hop.

Check the link in the OP for the rest of the code.

I don't need iteration...this result.get_trace() doesn't just seem to work as desired.
Re: How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by Fulaman198(m): 10:27pm On Aug 20, 2017
Can you try adding comments to your code, as aforementioned, I am not too familiar with Python (yet, I will have to learn it soon though for Data Science projects).

From what I can interpret from the below, this is what you are doing:

addr = socket.gethostbyname('dalitstan.org') <------- In this line, you have a variable datatype created known as addr using a socket interface functions method gethostbyname to call a DNS like function to convert dalitstan.org to an IP address (more specifically an IPv4 address).

target = [addr] <-----Here, you are declaring an array of type address (I think this should go before declaring addr = socket.gethostbyname('dalitstan.org')

result, unans = traceroute(target,maxttl=32) <--------------------- Here you are creating I guess what you would love to output later, a call to a traceroute function with the array of address, and setting the maximum Time to live to 32).

Again, I'm not too familiar with Python, I will be in a few months time, but which file is the cens2.py file? Apparently, there is a bug of some sort on line 16 in that python source code.

When I attempt an nslookup on 185.53.178.6 it fails, and ICMP echo request (ping) fails on it as well.

I see this error: TypeError: 'bool' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

I know that in languages like C/C++ and Java, a boolean often needs to return true or false, or have some value that returns true or false. Are you posting your entire code? thanks!
Re: How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by Nobody: 12:14am On Aug 21, 2017
Fulaman198:
Can you try adding comments to your code, as aforementioned, I am not too familiar with Python (yet, I will have to learn it soon though for Data Science projects).

From what I can interpret from the below, this is what you are doing:

addr = socket.gethostbyname('dalitstan.org') <------- In this line, you have a variable datatype created known as addr using a socket interface functions method gethostbyname to call a DNS like function to convert dalitstan.org to an IP address (more specifically an IPv4 address).

target = [addr] <-----Here, you are declaring an array of type address (I think this should go before declaring addr = socket.gethostbyname('dalitstan.org')

result, unans = traceroute(target,maxttl=32) <--------------------- Here you are creating I guess what you would love to output later, a call to a traceroute function with the array of address, and setting the maximum Time to live to 32).

Again, I'm not too familiar with Python, I will be in a few months time, but which file is the cens2.py file? Apparently, there is a bug of some sort on line 16 in that python source code.

When I attempt an nslookup on 185.53.178.6 it fails, and ICMP echo request (ping) fails on it as well.

I see this error: TypeError: 'bool' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

I know that in languages like C/C++ and Java, a boolean often needs to return true or false, or have some value that returns true or false. Are you posting your entire code? thanks!

That's most of the code....except i was using scapy, was actually testing something, planned on using this in a different environment but had to test first.
At the moment i think
result.get_trace()['185.53.178.6'][7]
('203.50.6.93', False)

or

>>> result.get_trace()['185.53.178.6'][7][0]
'203.50.6.93'
>>> something = result.get_trace()['185.53.178.6'][7][0]
>>> something
'203.50.6.93'

seems to work...
Re: How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 21, 2017
I think this explained better https://blogs.oracle.com/ksplice/learning-by-doing:-writing-your-own-traceroute-in-8-easy-steps and now i am using trace_route differently. If i may ask, just curious? Do you have any experience with system administration?
Re: How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by ozq10: 2:23am On Aug 21, 2017
send your names to the number to be part of it its free.

Re: How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by segbolon: 3:15am On Aug 21, 2017
You figured it out, but sometimes you might not need to write a program.

trace route www.google.com | head -6 | tail -1 | cut -d" " -f5

Where 6 is N+1, where N is the IP of the hop I want to see.
Re: How Can I Get IP Of A Specific Hop For Traceroute In Python by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 21, 2017
segbolon:
You figured it out, but sometimes you might not need to write a program.

trace route www.google.com | head -6 | tail -1 | cut -d" " -f5

Where 6 is N+1, where N is the IP of the hop I want to see.

Thanks for the input, but on an automated system or analysis application it would be better to have it implemented dynamically.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Mobile App Developer / A Forex Trader That Is Also A Programmer Is Needed Urgently / Rate My Little Laravel News Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.