Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,460 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors (5924 Views)

Nigeria To Start Building Ship, Says Niger Delta Minister, Akpabio / Police Funding: NANS To Storm National Assembly, Official Says / IGBO Must Go: Nigeria Moving Towards Anarchy, Breakup Says Niger Delta Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 20, 2017
Mr Igo Weli, the General Manager, External Relations, Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), on Thursday said the Niger Delta was no longer attractive for investment.

Weli made the claim in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt on the sideline of an SPDC sponsored two-day meeting with stakeholders in Abia and Rivers states.

He said that declining interest by investors was partly due to restiveness, damage of facilities and the unpredictable nature of the region’s business environment.

“The Niger Delta is no longer attractive to investors, as most businesses have already left with new and potential investors preferring to invest in other places like Lagos.

“There are issues in Nigeria today but there are parts of the country that are still working. Even in the midst of these issues and challenges, Lagos is making progress.

“Investors are going to Lagos because of the choices the state government makes and the way they organise themselves and the confidence that gives to investors, which is the reverse in the Niger Delta.

“If Dangote could invest 18 billion dollars to build a refinery in Lagos that ordinarily should be sited in the Niger Delta, then the Niger Delta should be seriously concerned.

“The region is depriving itself of investment, employment and business opportunities because of endless agitations and choices it took out of anger,” the SPDC official said.

Weli explained that Dangote refinery alone would create over 149,000 new jobs with the economies of Lagos and other South-Western states the major beneficiaries.

He said that unemployment was on the rise in the Niger Delta partly because most firms have left while others have reduced their operation in the area.

Weli wondered why the region was yet to develop despite benefiting from 13 per cent derivation and presence of establishments like the Niger Delta Development Commission; Niger Delta Ministry and Amnesty Programme.

According to him, people who desired to hurt SPDC forget that the company was a global brand with assets all over the world, and as such, could make adjustments.

“Even the existing companies’ activities are dropping because everyday instead of spending time thinking of how to grow the business; the companies are busy thinking of how to manage crises.

“So, people need to think deeply before they act because perception of the situation in the area is likened to one day one trouble, and no longer one week one trouble.

“We should ask ourselves questions of why the region is not on the path of progress; why its roads, schools, hospitals and electricity are not different.

“Well, we should look no further because it is simply the choices the region is making,” he said.

Weli said that re-positioning of the region would involve collaboration of all stakeholders including both state and local governments; the private sector and the people. (NAN)
http://leadership.ng/2017/08/17/niger-delta-no-longer-attractive-investors-shell/

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by ProWalker: 10:13pm On Aug 20, 2017

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by ProWalker: 10:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
ProWalker:
Life is all about choices, some choose to accept that peace is what they need to get what they want while other think violence is the only way to get what they want

4 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by kynbasil01: 10:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
wink
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by valarmorghulis: 10:15pm On Aug 20, 2017
ProWalker:
Life is all about choices, others choose to accept that peace is what they need to get what they want while other think violence is the only way to get what they want
But nothing good comes from violence

5 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by ProWalker: 10:16pm On Aug 20, 2017
valarmorghulis:

But nothing good comes from violence

In the long run.
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by AtkinsPlanet(m): 10:18pm On Aug 20, 2017
This is THE END! So petroleum national income is going down!
Check out my signature.

3 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by wristbangle: 10:19pm On Aug 20, 2017
The case of ND is just shooting one's leg. One of the key factors to site business in a location is security. Unfortunately ND areas are too volatile which scares investors away. I seriously don't know what they can do to attract any category of business magnets.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Afam4eva(m): 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2017
wristbangle:
The case of ND is just shooting one's leg. One of the key factors to site business in a location is security. Unfortunately ND areas are too volatile which scares investors away. I seriously don't know what they can do to attract these business magnets.
It's commonsensical that a region that produces most of Nigeria's resources but doesn't get it's due will be restive. It's like jumping inside mud and asking why your body is dirty.

35 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by limeta(f): 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2017
After you poluted the land
Rob the people blind
Now their eyes are open
You come with this blackmail about Lagos still working
Any way dear she'll yr investment in the niger delta is a curse to our land and people .
we never forget the part you played with Saro WIwa
And yr role in the seven sisters

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 20, 2017
ProWalker:

In the long run.
only a fool keeps doing same thing over and over without results. ND cities that once used to be like other sane cities. You see expatriates relate with Nigerians like they are Nigerians. There were loads of opportunities. My friend's dad was managing the accounts and finances of many of them. All of a sudden, kidnap business started. It became hard for an expat to schedule meetings with a normal Nigerian. Things started getting bad. Tho, you won't find many recreational centres, the atmosphere was lovely. What has violence done? Now, oil is loosing its' value. Companies are no longer investing as they ought to. The cities are dry. People are relocating to lagos everyday. What will they tell generations to come? I have been told there were days if you got to popular rumola junction in ph, you ll see a drilling rig. You could go there to learn about what they are doing... is it the same story now??

16 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by hammerT: 10:23pm On Aug 20, 2017
hahahahahahahahaha!

The company that sponsored Nigeria to defeat Biafra and kill 3 million.

Sponsored the oppression of the Nigerdelta people.

Are we surprise? NO!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by NCP: 10:23pm On Aug 20, 2017
Brreeze Don Blow Fowl Yansh?Don Show...
Over To The Concerned Ones..
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by hammerT: 10:26pm On Aug 20, 2017
Shell is behind most Wars in Oil producing states alongside Chevron.

From Nigeria to Iran, Iraq, Libya and Kuwait.

Wen they stand to gain, dey push the right political button that leads to bloody conflict.

There money is blood money.

Shell was the lead company in the Nigeria Civil War, we have not forgotten.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by muykem: 10:26pm On Aug 20, 2017
There is a need to reflect on this well articulated points. While Nigeria government abandoned the region for very long time we should not close our eyes to the fact that approach employed tend to favour individual than the total region.

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by limeta(f): 10:27pm On Aug 20, 2017
[quote author=wristbangle post=59668735]The case of ND is just shooting one's leg. One of the key factors to site business in a location is security. Unfortunately ND areas are too volatile which scares investors away. I seriously don't know what they can do to attract these business

You ve never been to niger delta
Not just oil in the delta people live there too bro
Have a human feeling for them

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by wristbangle: 10:28pm On Aug 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

It's commonsensical that a region that produces most of Nigeria's resources but doesn't get it's due will be restive. It's like jumping inside mud and asking why your body is dirty.

Well said boss. And to think of it, the world is changing. Even the crude oil they are putting their life on will become obsolete in the next 4 decades.

The years they ought to have enjoy more from oil boom has been channelled to shameful activities

8 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Jesusloveyou: 10:29pm On Aug 20, 2017
What!
The region that is feeding the nation�

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

what more due. Now that the investors are going? How una wan take do am? Now that oil don cast, how una wan do am? It is commensensical to resolve issues without violence. Thats the only way both parties won't hurt. Remember there is always a stronger party in any battle... in this case who know who is stronger. See, you people should go see how these companies are investing in other African countries, you will know Nigeria don cast

12 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 20, 2017
limeta:
After you poluted the land
Rob the people blind
Now their eyes are open
You come with this blackmail about Lagos still working
Any way dear she'll yr investment in the niger delta is a curse to our land and people .
we never forget the part you played with Saro WIwa
And yr role in the seven sisters
lagos will work for a long time because the way they approach problem is different.

14 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Afam4eva(m): 10:34pm On Aug 20, 2017
majekdom2:
what more due. Now that the investors are going? How una wan take do am? Now that oil don cast, how una wan do am? It is commensensical to resolve issues without violence. Thats the only way both parties won't hurt. Remember there is always a stronger party in any battle... in this case who know who is stronger. See, you people should go see how these companies are investing in other African countries, you will know Nigeria don cast
Whose aim s it to resolve issues? The ND says we want to controll our resources and pay tax to the federal government, the government says no. They say that oil companies should up their social responsibility ability, the oil company goes ahead to bribe government officials and everything is swept under the carpet. The little money that gets to the community are shared by chiefs and elders and you wonder why able bodied men go about bombing pipelines. My brother, don't worry, one day a company will come to your village and rape everything in sight, that day i will tell you to resolve issues with them. English is always easy when you're not at the receiving end of grave injustices.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
wristbangle:

Well said boss. And to think of it, the world is changing. Even the crude oil they are putting their life on will become obsolete in the next 4 decades.

The years they ought to have enjoy more from oil boom has been channelled to shameful activities
4 decades is a long time. One and half decade. Kachikwu didn't want to break the sad news that was why he said Nigeria's oil well will dry up in 2025. Actually, he meant Oil will become irrelevant by 2025. Technology is changing the world faster than anyone would have thought.

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by hammerT: 10:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

Whose aim s it to resolve issues? The ND says we want to controll our resources and pay tax to the federal government, the government says no. They say that oil companies should up their social responsibility ability, the oil company goes ahead to bribe government officials and everything is swept under the carpet. The little money that gets to the community are shared by chiefs and elders and you wonder why able bodied men go about bombing pipelines. My brother, don't worry, one day a company will come to your village and rape everything in sight, that day i will tell you to resolve issues with them. English is always easy when you're not at the receiving end of grave injustices.

But Y is it only Igbo people dat feel for NigerDelta and truily care about their environment?

Even me, i feel for dem, if i have the power, i will just give dem resource control immediately.

Yet, we hear Igbo want to dominate us propaganda fed to dem during Biafra War, especially from the likes of Edwin Clark.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by wristbangle: 10:38pm On Aug 20, 2017
[quote author=limeta post=59668965][/quote]

I do feel for them especially in the area of soil pollution but even their son was in the helms of power, he ought to have made the HSE policies a rule for his and subsequent governments. Money made was spent majorly on meaningless adventures.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Afam4eva(m): 10:39pm On Aug 20, 2017
hammerT:

But Y is it only Igbo people dat feel for NigerDelta and truily care about their environment?

Even me, i feel for dem, if i have the power, i will just give dem resource control.

Yet, we hear Igbo want to dominate us propaganda fed to dem during Biafra War by the likes of Edwin Clark.

In Igboland we believe in justice and fairness though these people from the ND see us as parasites who are out to take tejir resources even though there's no history of that happening even though we used to be in the same region. All the same we need to keep fighting for what is fair irrespective of the region. Sometimes i feel the Niger Delta are not even pained enough. It seems like it's we Igbos that are carrying the thing on our heads. Maybe thats why people think we're trouble makers.

10 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:40pm On Aug 20, 2017
Some youth in ND are too violent. Infact my boss had a contract in bayelsa he couldn't execute the project because of area boys disturbing and harassing workers.
Each group would come , demanding for money and boss fed up sold out his contract and moved

6 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by wristbangle: 10:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
majekdom2:
4 decades is a long time. One and half decade. Kachikwu didn't want to break the sad news that was why he said Nigeria's oil well will dry up in 2025. Actually, he meant Oil will become irrelevant by 2025. Technology is changing the world faster than anyone would have thought.

You just spoke the bitter truth. I told someone when kachukwu said oil will dry up by 2025, he is using an idiomatic expression to say oil will start becoming useless by that period

10 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

what is resource control? Does the ND have the strength to control the said resources? Do you want Shell to agree that they want to be dealing with the Niger deltan government and not the federal government. It's simple, by law, all natural resources belong to the FG. I have companies operating in my region. They are infact numerous. I am happy they do, sometimes when I see them I wonder what my state would have looked like without them. The problem with you Niger deltans is this delusion that the land and oil is "our" own. Until you see it as a mutual relationship and understand that the oil and land is useless without the presence of shell, you will always feel cheated. Corruption affects every Nigerian not just ND

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

In Igboland we believe in justice and fairness though these people from the ND see us as parasites who are out to take tejir resources even though there's no history of that happening even though we used to be in the same region. All the same we need to keep fighting for what is fair irrespective of the region. Sometimes i feel the Niger Delta are not even pained enough. It seems like it's we Igbos that are carrying the thing on our heads. Maybe thats why people think we're trouble makers.
exactly, they are so isolated that they believe every stranger wants to steal from them. It's a bad mindset stalling their development.

6 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by hammerT: 10:46pm On Aug 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

Precisely, Hausa and Yoruba people know exactly wat they are doing.

But, we dont like the idea of NigerDelta not enjoying the resources from their land.

We want them to have it all and it would be interesting to see if dey use it to develop NigerDelta like Dubai.

If dey dont, only God knows wat we will make of dem by the time the oil is obsolete.

Right now, we just feel really bad for dem and cannot blame dem if the resources becomes obsolete with Niger-Delta having nothing to show 4 it.

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Jesusloveyou: 10:49pm On Aug 20, 2017
hammerT:
hahahahahahahahaha!

The company that sponsored Nigeria to defeat Biafra and kill 3 million.

Sponsored the oppression of the Nigerdelta people.

Are we surprise? NO!
who is suffering it now, when you clapping for avenger's to destroyed their own destiny, you were thinking you were punishing buhari .
IPods self, with their half bake brain

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by baralatie(m): 10:49pm On Aug 20, 2017
majekdom2:

Mr Igo Weli, the General Manager, External Relations, Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), on Thursday said the Niger Delta was no longer attractive for investment.

Weli made the claim in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt on the sideline of an SPDC sponsored two-day meeting with stakeholders in Abia and Rivers states.

He said that declining interest by investors was partly due to restiveness, damage of facilities and the unpredictable nature of the region’s business environment.

“The Niger Delta is no longer attractive to investors, as most businesses have already left with new and potential investors preferring to invest in other places like Lagos.

“There are issues in Nigeria today but there are parts of the country that are still working. Even in the midst of these issues and challenges, Lagos is making progress.

“Investors are going to Lagos because of the choices the state government makes and the way they organise themselves and the confidence that gives to investors, which is the reverse in the Niger Delta.

“If Dangote could invest 18 billion dollars to build a refinery in Lagos that ordinarily should be sited in the Niger Delta, then the Niger Delta should be seriously concerned.

“The region is depriving itself of investment, employment and business opportunities because of endless agitations and choices it took out of anger,” the SPDC official said.

Weli explained that Dangote refinery alone would create over 149,000 new jobs with the economies of Lagos and other South-Western states the major beneficiaries.

He said that unemployment was on the rise in the Niger Delta partly because most firms have left while others have reduced their operation in the area.

Weli wondered why the region was yet to develop despite benefiting from 13 per cent derivation and presence of establishments like the Niger Delta Development Commission; Niger Delta Ministry and Amnesty Programme.

According to him, people who desired to hurt SPDC forget that the company was a global brand with assets all over the world, and as such, could make adjustments.

“Even the existing companies’ activities are dropping because everyday instead of spending time thinking of how to grow the business; the companies are busy thinking of how to manage crises.

“So, people need to think deeply before they act because perception of the situation in the area is likened to one day one trouble, and no longer one week one trouble.

“We should ask ourselves questions of why the region is not on the path of progress; why its roads, schools, hospitals and electricity are not different.

“Well, we should look no further because it is simply the choices the region is making,” he said.

Weli said that re-positioning of the region would involve collaboration of all stakeholders including both state and local governments; the private sector and the people. (NAN)
http://leadership.ng/2017/08/17/niger-delta-no-longer-attractive-investors-shell/
shell should leave the crude oil and its facilities for the Niger delta people then since you "feel" it is no longer attractive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

In Kebbi State, People With Disabilities Demand Political Appointment / Abuja Airport Road Vs Toronto Airport Road: Pictures / Abdul Mutallab, Slumps In Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.