Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family (3006 Views)

An American Woman With Two Husbands And Three Children Is Causing A Stir Online / Please I Need People Advice Over This Issue / How Can I Handle This Issue With The Wife Of My Boss? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by royalamour(m): 8:30pm On Aug 21, 2017
We got married in 2015 and our union is blessed with beautiful boy.
The mistake I made was to relocate to our state capital. Reason was that as an environmental consultant,
most of my clients are in the hinterlands.

Another of my undoing was that I rented a two bedroom apartment; One a master's bedroom and the other normal one.
Just few weeks after our relocation, my brother in-law (Wify's elder brother) left his place of primary assignment in another state to pay us a visit and to see the girl he was dating at that time.

Just a week later, he pleaded with me to let his girlfriend stay in the house for few days pending when he was
able to sort her accommodation out. Days graduated into weeks and then months, when I queried, he had to move her elsewhere.

Things got worst when I traveled for two weeks. By the time, I returned, he had moved some of his clothes in my wardrobe with excuse that he
couldn't find a place to hang his clothes. I asked my wife to tell him to remove them which she promised to do.

Things got worst when he started bringing random girls to my house anytime we are away at work.

Despite the fact that he get his NYSC allowance regularly, he uses my son's soap, my perfume and body spray whenever he wants to go out.

He has in slow succession moved into my house.

Now my wife's two siblings have been disturbing us that they want to come and spend their summer holiday with us (Another set of loads)

Now I spend almost 45,000 NGN on food items within 6-7 weeks.

Question is, how can ask this guy to leave my house in a polite way?

I am tired.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by eezeribe(m): 8:35pm On Aug 21, 2017
45,000 naira on food items in 6-7weeks... Things must really be cheap in your area.
And to your post,you are the head of your home... Stand up and make decisions.
I don't like the fact that your wife's brother brings random girls to your house...it's wrong.
For your wife's other siblings who want to come over for holiday... I don't see anything wrong in it (it's one of the aspects of African marriages),although the size of your pocket determines how welcomed they would be.

lalasticlala,Mynd44

5 Likes

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by okirewaju(f): 8:38pm On Aug 21, 2017
He's family Sir

Wifey will get angry if you do that
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Greyworld: 8:39pm On Aug 21, 2017
tell him to leave that buhari is bak

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by sinaj(f): 8:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
okirewaju:
He's family Sir

Wifey will get angry if you do that
Family? That's not fair abeg.

It's nt as if he is in his teen. He evn brings girls to the man's home, no privacy or respect again.

The man should just take his wife to a calm place nd talk to her.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by omaigala(m): 8:59pm On Aug 21, 2017
nawao... but why won't he stay at his place of primary assignment?
You marriage is too young for third parties.
That guy is shameless.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by royalamour(m): 9:04pm On Aug 21, 2017
eezeribe:
45,000 naira on food items in 6-7weeks... Things must really be cheap in your area.
And to your post,you are the head of your home... Stand up and make decisions.
I don't like the fact that your wife's brother brings random girls to your house...it's wrong.
For your wife's other siblings who want to come over for holiday... I don't see anything wrong in it (it's one of the aspects of African marriages),although the size of your pocket determines how welcomed they would be.

lalasticlala,Mynd44

We were just two until he came along.

But that is minus the gas refilling, the meat and fish thing.

Can't even buy soap for my son without considering him sharing in it anymore.
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by okirewaju(f): 9:10pm On Aug 21, 2017
sinaj:
Family? That's not fair abeg.

It's nt as if he is in his teen. He evn brings girls to the man's home, no privacy or respect again.

The man should just take his wife to a calm place nd talk to her.
I agree with you that he's wrong in that area but how do one tell his brother in law to leave his house?

Really?

The wife can sit him down and correct him in the areas he's not acting right but asking him to leave?

1 Like

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by johnson232: 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2017
hahahahahaha...laff wan finish me this evening... cheesy

Why are some people like this na...No self respect.
@ using your son soap to bath...@ op u funny... cheesy
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by sinaj(f): 9:16pm On Aug 21, 2017
okirewaju:
I agree with you that he's wrong in that area but how do one tell his brother in law to leave his house?

Really?

The wife can sit him down and correct him in the areas he's not acting right but asking him to leave?

Will ask him to leave if he doesn't correct himself after he might have being cautioned.

It's little issues like this that breaks people home.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by johnson232: 9:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
sinaj:
Will ask him to leave if he doesn't correct himself after he might have being cautioned.

It's little issues like this that breaks people home.
It's not that easy...
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by makydebbie(f): 9:25pm On Aug 21, 2017
Op. Stand your ground. The guy isn't giving you the respect you deserve. Your wife isn't she seeing this?

Warn the guy, tell him you're tired of his excesses. And if he doesn't change, then you send him. But let your wife talk to this guy before he starts stealing your things too.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by baby124: 9:28pm On Aug 21, 2017
Change the locks to your doors. He will get the message. He obviously has a spare key and forbid your wife from giving him keys to your house. You have to act quick because if he is useless and using your personal items, he can infect you people with disease.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 21, 2017
Sir, talk to your wife about it, 70% of the solution lies with her. She might find it difficult talking to her brother in order not to offend him taking into consideration that they are related by blood. She should understand that this is her family and there's a limit to which extend family members can intrude into your home especially your bedroom and personal effects. She won't feel comfortable if your sister do same to her.

Also, let the young man understand that this is your home and you're the head of the "Your family". He should give you the respect that you deserve.

If I may ask what was the relationship between you and your wife's brother before you marry her? Do the both of you discuss like age mates or as an adult to a younger brother?

Since my elder siblings got married, I have only visited their various home once and didn't stay more than 2 hours because I respect their private lives.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 21, 2017
See ehn, I'm a very practical person and a realist too. I have zero tolerance for third party interference in my marital life. This is something that has to be spelt out in capital letters for my spouse.
Without mincing words, brother you're the man of the house and you have paid her bride price in full. Tell him to get the fvck outta your house.
If wify likes, she should vex for Africa, a man who cannot bring sanity to his home but applies sentiments for vital decisions, shey that one too would stand up when men are being counted?

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by babythug(f): 10:10pm On Aug 21, 2017
I've since learnt that there's no point displeasing yourself to make others comfortable especially in situations like this.

Just ask him to move out by next week. Don't mince words and don't explain!

Your wife may vex or be grateful to you for easing her of this pressure. Either way brace up for the backlash that will follow and remember that with time it'll die down.

The people who want to come for holiday can come, after two week you provide their transport fare and ask your Mrs to take them to the park!

Shikena

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by elektra(f): 10:10pm On Aug 21, 2017
You wife is the best person to handle this situation. Siblings are able to scold each other and still be in good standing. She should have talked to her brother by now. Put pressure on her to tel him to move out. If she doesn't then you have no option but to do it yourself!
Does your wife work? Is she contributing financially to your family?
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 21, 2017
babythug:
I've since learnt that there's no point displeasing yourself to make others comfortable especially in situations like this.

Just ask him to move out by next week. Don't mince words and don't explain!

Your wife may vex or be grateful to you for easing her of this pressure. Either way brace up for the backlash that will follow and remember that with time it'll die down.

The people who want to come for holiday can come, after two week you provide their transport fare and ask your Mrs to take them to the park!

Shikena
I was smiling at your comment and was like "this is soo me", until I got to the bolded. Mehn, dude is grappling with a member of their family, two more members of the same family now wanna coman occupy space. Hian! Even if my wife is an Angel and I don't wanna hurt her, i'd soo not take that shit.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 21, 2017
elektra:
You wife is the best person to handle this situation. Siblings are able to scold each other and still be in good standing. She should have talked to her brother by now. Put pressure on her to tel him to move out. If she doesn't then you have no option but to do it yourself!
His wife may actually be silently hoping that he should man up and do the needful.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by sinaj(f): 10:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
johnson232:

It's not that easy...
I guess it will be easier when things fall apart. sad
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Collins4u1(m): 10:23pm On Aug 21, 2017
Wives of nowadays ehnn, no foresight... Only facebook and whatsapp

1 Like

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Acidosis(m): 10:49pm On Aug 21, 2017
45k on food for 6-7 weeks? Are you sure everyone is feeding well?
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by TheeDetective: 10:49pm On Aug 21, 2017
@Op, if this were to be your brother how would you have addressed his attitude?

As for your wife’s other siblings coming for holidays, I ask again; if these were your siblings willing to come on vacation in your home how would you have tackled their request?

The way you will handle the issues if carried out by your siblings is the same way you should handle them if carried out by your in-laws.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by iwakacome: 11:11pm On Aug 21, 2017
Chief, I feel your wife is the root of your problem. If she can't correct HER BROTHER'S WRONG, you have a long way to go. Talk to your wife in the best way she'll understand. Your the head but she's the homemaker.
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by elektra(f): 11:39pm On Aug 21, 2017
Frenchfriez:

His wife may actually be silently hoping that he should man up and do the needful.
That is a good point
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Nobody: 1:02am On Aug 22, 2017
He's behaving as he wishes in your home and bringing different women in because he has no regard for you. It's time for him to leave. Change the keys (have all his things already packed for him). You don't want him to start influencing your son negatively.
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Oyindidi(f): 2:56am On Aug 22, 2017
Tell him to leave your house, no need to sugarcoat it.
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by royalamour(m): 3:32am On Aug 22, 2017
Acidosis:
45k on food for 6-7 weeks? Are you sure everyone is feeding well?

They do... I stock both refrigerators up with the necessary beverages and others.

I only deemed it fit to use the price of normal naija food stuffs.

But that's not the point.

What do I do in this case?
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by royalamour(m): 3:36am On Aug 22, 2017
elektra:

Yes she works, I just established an on ground and an online store for her at the moment. I am not expecting anything from her until maybe 5 months when sales would have increased significantly.
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Eketem: 5:42am On Aug 22, 2017
Tell him to leave
They are both very disrespectful, why are you afraid of offending them?

Tell her sibblings NO, the idiotic brother has ruined the chances for any more of them for now.

Why are people afraid of not being liked? I cannot imagine anyone taking advantage of me in my home or making me uncomfortable

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by Amarabae(f): 6:42am On Aug 22, 2017
Stand like a man and take action,
Re: How Can I Solve This Issue Without Causing Tension In My Family by MicroBox: 6:54am On Aug 22, 2017
OP to be candid with you, woman (wife) always love to see their siblings around. .
In order for you not to have issues with your wife, it's good to know that, they feel more at home,comfortable and relaxed when siblings are around them.
Just be wise and smart about the whole thing because if your family comes around too without handling this issue wisely, you will blame yourself.
Be a politician and make wifee evict her brother herself. No lying against him or whatever but be smart.
Stay Neutral at the surface......

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Pictured Backing Her Baby In India / How Do I Tell My Husband I’m Pregnant For His Father? / Help: This Depression Is Killing Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.