Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,599 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

What To Do When You Come Across A Snake - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What To Do When You Come Across A Snake (1069 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Caught Breastfeeding A Snake / Threatened By A Snake, Warned By My Dogs / Dog Dies After Intercepting A Snake & Saving A Child (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When You Come Across A Snake by niyihawking(m): 9:11am On Aug 22, 2017
The first thing you want to do is freeze, and evaluate your surroundings, and the behavior of the snake. How close are you? Is the snake calm or defensive? If you are within range of the snake, and it’s alarmed, I recommend you remain still until it calms down, before you try to move away. The act of moving may make the snake more fearful and induce it to strike. The exception is if you’re less than a foot away from the snake’s face — move back fast. Vipers have heat receptors on their faces, so even if you’re stationary, the snake will feel threatened if you’re close enough for your body heat to be right in its face.

If the snake is calm, move away slowly. There is absolutely no reason to run from a snake. It’s not interested in chasing you, I promise. If a snake ever does glide TOWARD you, stop moving and stand perfectly still. The snake isn’t chasing you, it’s fleeing to a hiding place or secure location that happens to be past you. It might crawl right over your feet, but it’s not going to bite you, it’s just going to keep going.

Snakes are timid animals that are not interested in a confrontation. They bite only to defend themselves, because they are afraid. Many animals prey on snakes, even venomous ones. Snakes do not want to waste their venom, which they use for securing prey, or defending themselves from a larger animal. They would rather bluff and make the animal back off, and then leave the area. Biting is a last resort, when they feel cornered and believe their life is in immediate danger.

cc: lalasticlala

1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Come Across A Snake by LoudNdclear: 9:20am On Aug 22, 2017
You say? Madam you get mind oo..... I should stand still? I see snake, I should stand still.... you no like me.
Re: What To Do When You Come Across A Snake by Larryfest(m): 9:26am On Aug 22, 2017
All this write up no need atal when baba shukura for my compound go just wave am good 2by2 stick for head sharp sharp.....
Re: What To Do When You Come Across A Snake by niyihawking(m): 9:46am On Aug 22, 2017
LoudNdclear:
You say? Madam you get mind oo..... I should stand still? I see snake, I should stand still.... you no like me.
lol
Re: What To Do When You Come Across A Snake by lilmarley: 12:41pm On Sep 01, 2017
niyihawking:
The first thing you want to do is freeze, and evaluate your surroundings, and the behavior of the snake. How close are you? Is the snake calm or defensive? If you are within range of the snake, and it’s alarmed, I recommend you remain still until it calms down, before you try to move away. The act of moving may make the snake more fearful and induce it to strike. The exception is if you’re less than a foot away from the snake’s face — move back fast. Vipers have heat receptors on their faces, so even if you’re stationary, the snake will feel threatened if you’re close enough for your body heat to be right in its face.

If the snake is calm, move away slowly. There is absolutely no reason to run from a snake. It’s not interested in chasing you, I promise. If a snake ever does glide TOWARD you, stop moving and stand perfectly still. The snake isn’t chasing you, it’s fleeing to a hiding place or secure location that happens to be past you. It might crawl right over your feet, but it’s not going to bite you, it’s just going to keep going.

Snakes are timid animals that are not interested in a confrontation. They bite only to defend themselves, because they are afraid. Many animals prey on snakes, even venomous ones. Snakes do not want to waste their venom, which they use for securing prey, or defending themselves from a larger animal. They would rather bluff and make the animal back off, and then leave the area. Biting is a last resort, when they feel cornered and believe their life is in immediate danger.

cc: lalasticlala

i should stand still.........ah swear i no fit

i saw one last week ........it was sitting at where i usually get my rabbits greens inside the stadium premises......tho thats mu first time of seeing a snake......but i run ooo

I REALLY HATE REPTILES LIKE MAD

(1) (Reply)

Calcassian Puppies For Sale In Asaba / Can You Tell Me If This Dog Is A Samoyed / Sold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.