Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,014 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using (4042 Views)

Nigerian Family, The Imafidon Family Is The UK's Smartest Family (pictures) / Why Would The Worlds Smartest Man Give This Wicked Advice Before He Died / Ranked: The 25 Smartest Countries In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 3:54pm On Aug 22, 2017
Somebody called me with this phone number 07060714545 telling me he was doing some registration online and he mistakenly put my number on what he was registering, that my number is similar to his number and that the password of what he was registering was sent to my phone which I actualy saw as 6310.

He was now appealing to me to give him the reset code that was sent to my phone so that he could finish his registration. I told him to call me with the number he claimed was similar to mine so that I could verify his claim, he told me he didn't have credit in that line.

I got online to find out more, only to discover he was actually trying to reset my bank online/yahoomail password and that he is a fraudster, an account hacker and also a 419er. If I had given him the code which was sent to my phone, he would have used it to reset my bank online/mobile app account.

Please let us be careful and vigilant. Fraudsters are devising new ways every day.

Forward as received

This is a new way of defrauding people...

Lalasticlala

Share to prevent others from being defrauded.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 3:57pm On Aug 22, 2017
Lalasticlala
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by majamajic(m): 4:03pm On Aug 22, 2017
Op seriously I don't understand this , he wants u to resend him the code he sent to u, if he was the original sender why requesting for the number from u again?

4 Likes

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Nbote(m): 4:05pm On Aug 22, 2017
Taaaaaa... D only online registration dat requires such is Fb, or whatsapp or email password reset.. Are u dumb enof to not read wateva notification message dat comes in? It's old skool reset trick. He can't reset ur password without knowing ur email and he clearly knew ur phone number as well..

3 Likes

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Treyknowles(m): 4:08pm On Aug 22, 2017
majamajic:
Op seriously I don't understand this , he wants u to resend him the code he sent to u, if he was the original sender why requesting for the number from u again?
I Think You Should Read His Post Again.

7 Likes

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by DannyJ19(m): 4:10pm On Aug 22, 2017
He sent you the code and wants it back... Dont understand

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 22, 2017
Wow this is serious! Noted, Thank you op.
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by solomix10(m): 8:28pm On Aug 22, 2017
whoww what a smart move by them.
gullible person will easily fall for this

1 Like

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Mcleo007(m): 10:45pm On Aug 22, 2017
Similar experience today...
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by DonAustyne(m): 10:56pm On Aug 22, 2017
cry op thank u for d info.
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Learnstuffs: 11:01pm On Aug 22, 2017
Local yahoo boys
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Abudu2000(m): 12:09am On Aug 23, 2017
Op you are paranoid and that is what happens on the second day of malaria bout
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Magjoel(m): 12:32am On Aug 23, 2017
Thanks for sharing this here, I never knew people could be this trickish.
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by swagguElite(m): 2:41am On Aug 23, 2017
DannyJ19:
ar yu kidding me? ... Look imagine yu want to reset the password of your gmail!

Yu would be requested to provide the number you used to open the gmail account! ...then a fraudster can easily get one by looking at yur Facebook profile or looked at yur post on nairaland probably one of these employments threads ...where yu'were requested to drop yur WhatsApp number n your gmail!

Simple info! ...from simple source! ...so then he enters yur number n a new code is sent to your phone e.g GK10678

He then calls you n gives the crap spicing bullsh!t like the one he gave the Op! ....just to get access to that password sent to your phone!

The only people this scope can work for is our old peeps at home! ...that's why anytime I see any fraudulent scope like dat on nairaland ...I inform my parents since they can be easily carried away by any Facebook or any internet thingy!

You should see my dad's face when I was explaining how the WhatsApp status thingy works! ...he was so humble! ... N cute! grin

I guess yu understand now! N mistar OP _God bless you for this tip! ...yu saving people here ...yu should kno dat!

5 Likes

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Adeoba10(m): 6:35am On Aug 23, 2017
See them asking mumu questions, a fraudster was trying to hack the Op account to reset/change his password, code was generated by the system n sent to the Op, some dude are here asking mumu questions, Whereas these are the set of people dat will be analysing the solution to the problems of Nigeria, common ALI IS A BOY, SIMBI IS A GIRL, they can't comprehend.
Their brain has been flushed out with tribal issue, let Buhari/Kanu story come online, dats wen they will be talking like Einstein or Charles Darwin. #awon_olodo oshi

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by DrayZee: 6:43am On Aug 23, 2017
DannyJ19:
Calm down and read carefully.
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by UnknownT: 7:30am On Aug 23, 2017
Lol.... I will soon block one of my friends on WhatsApp. Dude doesn't chat, all he does is sharing these kind of messages to me. He even sent this particular one to me yesterday.
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Emeritusseun(m): 7:59am On Aug 23, 2017
Adeoba10:
See them asking mumu questions, a fraudster was trying to hack the Op account to reset/change his password, code was generated by the system n sent to the Op, some dude are here asking mumu questions, Whereas these are the set of people dat will be analysing the solution to the problems of Nigeria, common ALI IS A BOY, SIMBI IS A GIRL, they can't comprehend.
Their brain has been flushed out with tribal issue, let Buhari/Kanu story come online, dats wen they will be talking like Einstein or Charles Darwin. #awon_olodo oshi

u just made my day with dz ur comment. Am going back to bed now, waiting for tomoro....today is complete.....

2 Likes

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by muller101(m): 8:05am On Aug 23, 2017
It happened to me last year. The guy was so desperate for the code. He even sent me a Facebook friend request
Immediately I saw the request I knew something weird is about to happen in my life. I played along with him till he was just tired of me.
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by femi4: 8:24am On Aug 23, 2017
Treyknowles:
I Think You Should Read His Post Again.
his post is dumb!

You can't receive any short code without details of the account is meant for. E.g yahoomail, fb, gmail, otp etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Justanodadude: 10:43am On Aug 23, 2017
Na mumus full dis thread shey u don't know what's an otp is (one time password).

It's very simple dey get ur details credit card,online banking n d rest. A code will now be sent to ur phone no dat is linked with your account in order to confam dat u r d owner of d account and u have approved or verified d transaction.

If d person had given him dat code it is possible dat his entire acc will be wiped empty by the scammers.

Its dat simple if u don't know something keep quiet. Instead of abusing d op on ur own ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by PlayerMeji: 12:10pm On Aug 23, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:
Somebody called me with this phone number 07060714545 telling me he was doing some registration online and he mistakenly put my number on what he was registering, that my number is similar to his number and that the password of what he was registering was sent to my phone which I actualy saw as 6310.

He was now appealing to me to give him the reset code that was sent to my phone so that he could finish his registration. I told him to call me with the number he claimed was similar to mine so that I could verify his claim, he told me he didn't have credit in that line.

I got online to find out more, only to discover he was actually trying to reset my bank online/yahoomail password and that he is a fraudster, an account hacker and also a 419er. If I had given him the code which was sent to my phone, he would have used it to reset my bank online/mobile app account.

Please let us be careful and vigilant. Fraudsters are devising new ways every day.

Forward as received

Lalasticlala

It is called 'SOCIAL ENGINEERING'!
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by DRPAIT123(m): 12:11pm On Aug 23, 2017
swagguElite:
ar yu kidding me? ... Look imagine yu want to reset the password of your gmail!

Yu would be requested to provide the number you used to open the gmail account! ...then a fraudster can easily get one by looking at yur Facebook profile or looked at yur post on nairaland probably one of these employments threads ...where yu'were requested to drop yur WhatsApp number n your gmail!

Simple info! ...from simple source! ...so then he enters yur number n a new code is sent to your phone e.g GK10678

He then calls you n gives the crap spicing bullsh!t like the one he gave the Op! ....just to get access to that password sent to your phone!

The only people this scope can work for is our old peeps at home! ...that's why anytime I see any fraudulent scope like dat on nairaland ...I inform my parents since they can be easily carried away by any Facebook or any internet thingy!

You should see my dad's face when I was explaining how the WhatsApp status thingy works! ...he was so humble! ... N cute! grin

I guess yu understand now! N mistar OP _God bless you for this tip! ...yu saving people here ...yu should kno dat!
Gbayi jor
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 23, 2017
Adeoba10:

Savagery
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by MENZPRIDE(m): 1:58pm On Aug 23, 2017
femi4:
his post is dumb!

You can't receive any short code without details of the account is meant for. E.g yahoomail, fb, gmail, otp etc

Are you sure?
Or you want to continue clutching to your straws of argument?
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by femi4: 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2017
MENZPRIDE:

Are you sure?
Or you want to continue clutching to your straws of argument?
There is no way you ll receive a short code without knowing its source.

From banks otp to social accounts, it comes with more info. BTW, only a dumb person will respond otp he/she didn't initiate
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by suremanpatriot: 2:19pm On Aug 23, 2017
....is just like resetting your Facebook pword. Dont give any code from your phone or email to any baggar under any crafty excuse. And when you go to browse at cybercafé make sure you log out of your emails and Facebook properly.
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by softlina(f): 2:19pm On Aug 23, 2017
grin grin

ADEWUMIMichael:

Forward as received

Lalasticlala

grin
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by MENZPRIDE(m): 2:23pm On Aug 23, 2017
femi4:
There is no way you ll receive a short code without knowing its source.

From banks otp to social accounts, it comes with more info. BTW, only a dumb person will respond otp he/she didn't initiate

He was now appealing to me to give him the reset code that was sent to my phone so that he could finish his registration.

Pls read and comprehend the bolded.

I believe you are very 'smart' but I guess not everyone around you might be as 'smart' as you are. So, kindly enlighten them...
Thanks!
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by ajihmaya(f): 2:27pm On Aug 23, 2017
Na wa ooo, people can't go and find something better to do if not trying to steal from others,seriously your smartness saved you bro.

ADEWUMIMichael:

Forward as received

Lalasticlala

Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by DONADAMS(m): 2:30pm On Aug 23, 2017
wire wire people!
Re: Unbelievable, See The Newest And Smartest Method Scammers Are Now Using by femi4: 2:30pm On Aug 23, 2017
MENZPRIDE:

He was now appealing to me to give him the reset code that was sent to my phone so that he could finish his registration.

Pls read and comprehend the bolded.

I believe you are very 'smart' but I guess not everyone around you might be as 'smart' as you are. So, kindly enlighten them...
Thanks!
you can't receive a code in isolation. It comes detailed

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top Ten Federal Schools In Lagos State That Is Better Than Private School / Navy Seal Explains How To Survive If You Are Being Drowned / Oau Fees?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.