Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards (39753 Views)

Emv Debit And Credit And Debit Card Reader And Writer V8.6 / Difference Between Debit And Credit Card / How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Greene66: 3:05am On Aug 23, 2017
Dottore:

No Nigerian bank Issue's a dollar denominated credit card hence the credit card u get from diamond cannot transact in most reputable sites like eBay and amazon.
Good night my guy

Wrong! I have a dollar denominated credit card with GTBank which can transact all over the world EXCEPT in Nigeria. I can't use it in Nigeria.

I use it mostly when I travel. I like their settlement and repayment framework.

You should explore more before making conclusions. It's 2017 sir ! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by bidez(m): 3:26am On Aug 23, 2017
Na mumu dey worry dat one leave am
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by franugo(m): 3:45am On Aug 23, 2017
King4Roller:
What is the difference between credit alert and debit alert?

lemme just pretend dt i didn't see this
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by salford: 3:49am On Aug 23, 2017
linearity:

They do, but you have to be credit worthy.

Also, If you have an asset worth some reasonable value, you can get a secure credit card.
I thought credit card are unsecured debt...

a secured credit card is beginning to sound like a prepaid card.
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by salford: 3:53am On Aug 23, 2017
Greene66:

Wrong! I have a dollar denominated credit card with GTBank which can transact all over the world EXCEPT in Nigeria. I can't use it in Nigeria.

I use it mostly when I travel. I like their settlement and repayment framework.

You should explore more before making conclusions. It's 2017 sir ! smiley
Naija CC are kind of strange. Just checked the requirements for GT bank. It says on the website that one needs to usually have a dollar account. A credit card should also be able to work in any country including its country of origin. Infact it should be domiciled in the local currency.
I guess they sort of modified it because Nigeria is really not ripe for the real credit card type transactions.

Checked standard chartered Gold CC. That is a proper credit card.
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by baba4thegehs: 4:04am On Aug 23, 2017
hardywaltz:
There is nothing like credit card in Nigeria
But hopefully with the introduction of BVN in a few years time maybe Nigeria may introduce the credit card option in the Banking industry duh with the exorbitant rates i doubt if anyone in his right senses will agree to take one.

To effectively operate a credit card system in Nigeria the economy needs to well structure, sufficient data of every individuals has to be captured and in graining the culture of honesty and integrity to the citizen. In American people don't run away from their debts, even if they have to the chance to, but here in Africa trust me some folks will run away when the have the opportunity to.

3 Likes

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Nobody: 4:05am On Aug 23, 2017
Mynd44 wetin be your pin code numbers of ya credit card i wanna make some purchase on Nairaland undecided
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Greene66: 4:43am On Aug 23, 2017
salford:

Naija CC are kind of strange. Just checked the requirements for GT bank. It says on the website that one needs to usually have a dollar account. A credit card should also be able to work in any country including its country of origin. Infact it should be domiciled in the local currency.
I guess they sort of modified it because Nigeria is really not ripe for the real credit card type transactions.

Checked standard chartered Gold CC. That is a proper credit card.

I also have the Naira denominated Credit card as well with same GTBank. Which works all over Nigeria EXCEPT outside Nigeria.

I think every bank has their own credit policies. I don't think there is a 'proper' credit card. Each bank their own. But the point is, credit cards are available.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by linearity: 5:02am On Aug 23, 2017
salford:

I thought credit card are unsecured debt...

a secured credit card is beginning to sound like a prepaid card.

Yes, secure credit card is a kind of prepaid card but card but better. It's a bridge between credit card and debit card.

Like you indicated, credit card are unsecured and as such, the bank need somehow of knowing you will pay back, the most popular way of knowing this is your history of past credit payments from others....this becomes a catch22...since you can't establish history of past credit repayments until someone gives you that credit...and nobody is willing to give you that credit until they see some past payment history....

That where secure credit cards come into play...with debit cards and prepaid cards, you are spending your money, they are not credits and as such no body keeps records...with secure credit card...you approach a bank that offers that facilitates and give them say N500k, then they issue you a credit card secured by that N500k...each month they send you a bill and each payment is recorded in your history as credit payments...you don't have access to your N500k until you either close the account or the bank has established enough history and converts that secured credit card to an unsecured one.

Credit cards are preferred anytime any day compared to debit cards, they offer more features and better protections.

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Unionised(m): 5:07am On Aug 23, 2017
hardywaltz:
But hopefully with the introduction of BVN in a few years time maybe Nigeria may introduce the credit card option in the Banking industry duh with the exorbitant rates i doubt if anyone in his right senses will agree to take one.

And who told you that?

If you are viable enough, your bank would have offered you one.

Say what you know oga.
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by odinga1of: 5:08am On Aug 23, 2017
handsomebanana:
.nice one

Av seen a lot of people refer to dia ATM card as 'CREDit card ' in oda 2 sound tûsh.

Always leave me in tears after lafin LYK a mad man

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Best comment so far

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by bravehost4u(m): 5:26am On Aug 23, 2017
I have been using a diamond bank credit card for over 5 years... It simply serves as my cash reserve for emergency
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by claremont(m): 5:30am On Aug 23, 2017
Greene66:

I also have the Naira denominated Credit card as well with same GTBank. Which works all over Nigeria EXCEPT outside Nigeria.

I think every bank has their own credit policies. I don't think there is a 'proper' credit card. Each bank their own. But the point is, credit cards are available.

A 'proper' credit card should work worldwide with no restrictions (bar processing/exchange fees), what your bank gave to you isn't a proper credit card. It's difficult to implement a proper credit system in Nigeria at the moment, there is an abject lack of data on the credit profiles of people who make financial transactions. A BVN is a step forward, but it remains a single step.
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Greene66: 5:42am On Aug 23, 2017
claremont:

A 'proper' credit card should work worldwide with no restrictions (bar processing/exchange fees), what your bank gave to you isn't a proper credit card. It's difficult to implement a proper credit system in Nigeria at the moment, there is an abject lack of data on the credit profiles of people who make financial transactions. A BVN is a step forward, but it remains a single step.

Like I mentioned earlier, Every bank have their own policies. The credit policies defer from one another.

The bank has a credit card that works outside Nigeria. I have both cards. So I don't see the problem here.

And finally, my HSBC Bank Credit card from India is blocked in Iran, Iraq and some few countries. Do you say HSBC did not give me a proper credit card too?
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by cr7rooney10(m): 5:42am On Aug 23, 2017
Borrow card
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by bigtt76(f): 5:45am On Aug 23, 2017
Nice one buh you for do the comparison by including ATM - Difference between Credit Card/Debit Card/ATM. Many still call these bank issued cards ATM eg I forgot my ATM at home so I'm out of cash grin

Please ATM means Automatic Teller Machine and not the same as debit or credit card. Rather it is the machine that enables you draw cash using those cards as if you are at a bank branch transacting over the counter. Modern days ATM allows you to do deposits and other banking activities outside banking halls.

mokoshalb:
Among the many electronic payment systems in vogue today the most popular form is card payments. There are two main types of cards, debit cards, and credit cards. Many people are still confused as to the difference or similarity between the two cards, however, it is actually not as mysterious as it seems.

To begin with, let us explain in as precise and concise a way as possible. Credit cards allow the holder to make purchases on credit, whereas the debit visa card holder needs to have the amount plus some transaction fee in his or her account to be able to make any payment using the debit card. As the name suggests the amount is debited from card holder's account immediately when the debit card is used. This is opposed to a credit card where the cardholder does not need to have the amount he or she is going to spend. As long as the amount is within the 'credit limit' of the card the transaction will be carried through and the holder will have to return the money to the card company in installments or in one single payment.

What is a Debit Card?

Debit cards offer the convenience of a credit but work in a different way. Debit cards draw money directly from your bank account when you make a purchase. They do this by placing a hold on the amount of the purchase. Then the merchant sends in the transaction to their bank and it is transferred to the merchant's account. It can take a few days for this to happen, and the hold may drop off before the transaction goes through. For this reason, it is important to keep a running balance of your checking account to make sure you do not accidentally overdraw your account. It is possible to do that with a debit card. You will have a PIN to use your debit card at stores or ATMs. However, you can also use your debit card without a PIN at most merchants, you will just sign the receipt like you would with a credit card.

Features of a Debit Card:

A debit card is tied directly to your bank account.
It can serve the purpose of a credit card also.
Generally, you will use your PIN or a generated One Time Password (OTP) to complete the transactions.
It is the general and most used card issued by your bank to you after opening a bank account.
They always have a Visa®, Mastercard® or other financial service company logo on the card face.
The front of a debit card includes the debit card number, the expiration date.
The back of a debit card includes the customer service number (3-digit code), The signature bar, the card verification value, and some of the issuing bank logos.

What is a Credit Card?

A credit card is a card that allows you to borrow money in small amounts at local merchants. You use the card to make your basic transactions. The credit card company then charges you interest on your purchases, though there is generally a grace period of approximately thirty days before interest is charged if you do not carry your balance over from month to month.

Features of a Credit Card:

A credit card is a line of credit you can access with your card.
Generally, you must sign on these purchases.
You will pay interest on the purchases made if not paid off in thirty days.
Credit purchases typically do not require a pin to be entered at the time of the transaction.

Protecting Your Debit and Credit Cards:

Both a credit and debit card have similar risks when it comes to theft. If your credit or debit card information has been compromised, you will need to contact your bank immediately. You should also take additional steps and monitor your credit report to make sure that your identity was not stolen, It is important to check your statements each month to make sure you can identify all charges. The banks limit the length of time that you can report a fraudulent charge on the account. The bank will freeze the account and issue you a new card when you report that the card has been stolen or you see an unauthorized transaction.

Source: Debit and Credit Cards
mynd44 lalasticlala seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by abfalkolly(m): 5:48am On Aug 23, 2017
kennygee:
Nigerians aren't mature yet for credit cards, we don't have the technology to pursue credit card fraud and credit card defaulters.

Make we just dey spend money wey dey our account jejely.
In abroad where dre is technology to pursue credit card fraud n defaulters,am sure alot of fraugsters still go without been caught...dre is no perfect society,n if u wait for one,u will remain stagnant..
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by omoiyalayi(m): 6:14am On Aug 23, 2017
Credit or debit card as long as I buy things or can make any transaction with both no qualms

Everything still boils down to money

May we never lack money to make our cards work

Today is my birthday nairalanders please show some love

3 Likes

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by madridguy(m): 6:28am On Aug 23, 2017
Nice information.
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Snowkel(m): 6:30am On Aug 23, 2017
hardywaltz:
There is credit card � in Nigeria, first bank issued me one, cuz its my salary account. I can use it in buying anything online as long I don't exceed my limit.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by drealtruth(m): 6:33am On Aug 23, 2017
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Nobody: 6:46am On Aug 23, 2017
eezeribe:
Credit cards that have made the average American deep in the rat race..
credit cards that have permanently screwed the left quadrant occupants in their quadrant...
credit cards,the enemy of the right quadrant occupants...

I have seen a Robert Kiyosaki fan. cheesy
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 23, 2017
eezeribe:
Credit cards that have made the average American deep in the rat race..
credit cards that have permanently screwed the left quadrant occupants in their quadrant...
credit cards,the enemy of the right quadrant occupants...
...and made a great population into ''poor dads'' (and moms).
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Mosb(m): 7:03am On Aug 23, 2017
OlaJnr:
Only the keyboard warriors understands the meaning of credit cards... tongue
. Lol. Boss I dey load... and MD dey available for account
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Mosb(m): 7:03am On Aug 23, 2017
roqrules04:
I love Credit Card tongue tongue
. W

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by mokoshalb(m): 7:17am On Aug 23, 2017
bigtt76:
Nice one buh you for do the comparison by including ATM - Difference between Credit Card/Debit Card/ATM. Many still call these bank issued cards ATM eg I forgot my ATM at home so I'm out of cash grin

Please ATM means Automatic Teller Machine and not the same as debit or credit card. Rather it is the machine that enables you draw cash using those cards as if you are at a bank branch transacting over the counter. Modern days ATM allows you to do deposits and other banking activities outside banking halls.
Thanks for the contribution... Yea, so many misconceptions on that too...
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 23, 2017
abfalkolly:

In abroad where dre is technology to pursue credit card fraud n defaulters,am sure alot of fraugsters still go without been caught...dre is no perfect society,n if u wait for one,u will remain stagnant..

I know that. But do you know how many loans go bad in Naija?

People take up loans they don't intend to pay back, the US is a debt inclined economy, we can't try that in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Welcomme: 7:27am On Aug 23, 2017
Danny4u:
*A Bank* is giving you an opportunity to open an account with them with just *500naira*.

You'll be given a _free ATM_
A unique _referral code_.

You get paid N10,000 for every 10 people you refer to open an account with your referral code.

This is what marketers do and get paid and this bank is giving you an opportunity to become _their marketer_ too and get paid while doing that from the comfort of your home.

You don't only earn 10k. The more people you bring the more your earnings. Like you earn N100,000 with 100 persons and you aren't paying any extra dime for that...

If you're interested in becoming part of this, kindly let me know so I could give you more details on how to go about it.

Thank you ✌
I am interested... Adewalep4@gmail.com
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by tomieyRozay: 7:40am On Aug 23, 2017
please,I need Confirm site to buy Live Cc for Carting .
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by erico2k2(m): 7:43am On Aug 23, 2017
9jvirgin:
I got a Capital One Credit Card with a considerable minimum balance because I wanted to build my credit portfolio to actualize a big purchase.

In reality, Credit Card is suicidal.
Capital one are thieves .always get a credit card from your Bank
Re: Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 23, 2017
iamdotune:
lol oga them no dey buy cc dem dey apply and how much be ur hma
Shay u wan teach me work ni undecided
Spammed cc dey sites wey guys dey use card stuffs $15 each some might be dead anyway
Hma 1 year 5k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man’s New Doughnut Store Sells Out After Son Tweeted He Was Sad / My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) / Follow These 6 Simple Steps To Start Your Own Online Business Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.