Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,323 members, 7,957,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:30 PM

How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? (1434 Views)

Why So Many Atheists Hate Their Own Religion Of Atheism. / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by sinequanon: 3:10pm On Feb 19, 2010
Are some atheists who rant against religion actually suffering from withdrawal symptoms?

It seems to me that ranting may be part of the process of severance from the clutches of a belief in god that they once had.

I think that some of them are still afraid deep down of the beliefs, but they hide their lack of confidence from themselves with humour and posturing.

Where are the people who truly have overcome religion and belief in god?
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Tonyet1(m): 3:16pm On Feb 19, 2010
Ask my boy Tudor! he's got loads of trash to tell you. trust me! grin grin
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Tudor6(f): 3:24pm On Feb 19, 2010
Tonye-t:

Ask my boygirl Tudor! he'sshe's got loads of trash to tell you. trust me! grin grin
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 19, 2010
tudor got sidetracked due to so many love proposals made to his female alter ego and picture.

Give him a while to pull herself together and decide which gender gets more goodies. That will be a big factor in deciding what to do.

After this pressing matter is settled, then it'll be business as usual.

at the moment, too much lovey dovey stuff going on- Tudor finds it too confusing and very distracting. Atheist propaganda has to take a back seat for now.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 19, 2010
as for the rest- who knows?

maybe they finally got girlfriends
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by snowdrops(m): 5:01pm On Feb 19, 2010
sinequanon:

Are some atheists who rant against religion actually suffering from withdrawal symptoms?
It seems to me that ranting may be part of the process of severance from the clutches of a belief in god that they once had.

I think that some of them are still afraid deep down of the beliefs, but they hide their lack of confidence from themselves with humour and posturing.

Some have been of no faith ab initio.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by bawomolo(m): 8:07pm On Feb 19, 2010
snowdrops:

Some have been of no faith ab initio.

i don't think he got that
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by mazaje(m): 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2010
sinequanon:

I have truly over come religion and belief in all the gods. . . .I KNOW that all the gods were created by men. . . . .
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by sinequanon: 9:04pm On Feb 19, 2010
mazaje:

I have truly over come religion and belief in all the gods. . . .I KNOW that all the gods were created by men. . . . .

How long did it take?

I have a friend who was usually scathingly dismissive of anything 'supernatural'. She had been brought up in a muslim household but had become anti-religious to the point of so-called blasphemy. I shall leave to your imagination the sort of things she uttered about the Muslim faith!

Then, one day she got a shock. I had recounted to her an event that had occurred to me that had no scientific explanation (nothing indicative of a god, just something without a scientific explanation). She was often quick to spot and point out weak links in any such accounts, but, in this case, there clearly was none. I could see she was shaken and she said that, if what I had told her was true, she is not sure she wants to talk with me any more! She was a long-standing friend, by the way. So you can imagine how shaken she was.

That is when I realised that much of her joking and dismissive attitude was simply posturing to help counter the psychological toll of the threatened punishment for those who leave the faith. Science acted as her haven. Only by throwing the baby out with the bath water and completely dispelling any hint of the 'paranormal' could she feel sure of herself. So she certainly did not welcome this blow I had given to her confidence.

I have found similar things with some who have left the Catholic faith. I actually think Richard Dawkins is an example. I think science is his psychological refuge although it is not something he is ever likely to admit, even to himself.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by mazaje(m): 10:44pm On Feb 19, 2010
sinequanon:

How long did it take?

I have a friend who was usually scathingly dismissive of anything 'supernatural'. She had been brought up in a muslim household but had become anti-religious to the point of so-called blasphemy. I shall leave to your imagination the sort of things she uttered about the Muslim faith!

Then, one day she got a shock. I had recounted to her an event that had occurred to me that had no scientific explanation (nothing indicative of a god, just something without a scientific explanation). She was often quick to spot and point out weak links in any such accounts, but, in this case, there clearly was none. I could see she was shaken and she said that, if what I had told her was true, she is not sure she wants to talk with me any more! She was a long-standing friend, by the way. So you can imagine how shaken she was.

That is when I realised that much of her joking and dismissive attitude was simply posturing to help counter the psychological toll of the threatened punishment for those who leave the faith. Science acted as her haven. Only by throwing the baby out with the bath water and completely dispelling any hint of the 'paranormal' could she feel sure of herself. So she certainly did not welcome this blow I had given to her confidence.

I have found similar things with some who have left the Catholic faith. I actually think Richard Dawkins is an example. I think science is his psychological refuge although it is not something he is ever likely to admit, even to himself.

And what might this experience be?. . . . . .How does your subjective experince point to something supernatural?. . . .Did you see a moving house? or a flying rat? Did you hear voices? Did you see an amputee regrow his/her amputated limbs?. . . .Did you see a man that died and ressurected from the dead after 2 months?. . . . .And how sure are you that those experiences of yours do not have scientific explanations. . . . . .You begin this topic by begging the questions that some atheist are afraid of their former beliefs. . . .Do you believe only based on fear or because the beliefs are actually true,I notice that most people believe ONLY because they have been conditioned since when they were babies to fear their mythical beliefs . . . . . .There is more than enough evidence thats shows that all religious beliefs are MAN MADE. . . . .
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by sinequanon: 11:16pm On Feb 19, 2010
mazaje:

And what might this experience be?. . . . . .

A prediction.

mazaje:
How does your subjective experince point to something supernatural?. . . .

That is not my business. I put 'supernatural' and 'paranormal' in quotes. It is the language of those whose faith is science.

For me, an experience is an experience.

mazaje:
And how sure are you that those experiences of yours do not have scientific explanations. . . . . .

You could argue that science always has an explanation -- coincidence and freak occurrence/experimental error covers it all, just as 'god did it' covers everything.

The experience I had was the first that really amazed me. My dad had a revelation concerning a particular unusual item. He did not know what it could mean, but he knew it was in relation to me, so he asked me. I had never even heard of the item before.

Within a couple of weeks, a classmate came up to me at school and produced one of these items in a bizarre way -- rather like a ritual instruction from a medium. My dad had never met any of my classmates.

mazaje:
You begin this topic by begging the questions that some atheist are afraid of their former beliefs. . . .

Very erudite term, "begging the question." Do you know what it means? smiley

mazaje:
Do you believe only based on fear or because the beliefs are actually true

Now you've lost me. Believe what? What fear?
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by mazaje(m): 11:35pm On Feb 19, 2010
^^

Its possible that it could be a coincidence and nothing more, Its also possible that there are some things about dreams that we are yet to understand. . . . .Here is what you said. . . .

On what basis did you come to this ridiculous conclusion?. . . . . . . .If atheist are ever afraid of their former beliefs, do you think they will be unbelievers?. . . . . .
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by sinequanon: 11:44pm On Feb 19, 2010
mazaje:

^^

Its possible that it could be a coincidence and nothing more, Its also possible that there are some things about dreams that we are yet to understand. . . . .Here is what you said. . . .

'Coincidence', the 'possible' and 'impossible' and 'we' are all things for you to worry about as a follower of science. wink

I don't need to. smiley

mazaje:
On what basis did you come to this ridiculous conclusion?. . . . . . . .If atheist are ever afraid of their former beliefs, do you think they will be unbelievers?. . . . . .

Angry? Try rephrasing that so that there is no presumption in the question. Then I can answer it.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by mazaje(m): 11:50pm On Feb 19, 2010
sinequanon:

'Coincidence', the 'possible' and 'impossible' and 'we' are all things for you to worry about as a follower of science. wink

Science does NOT claims it knows all things does it? "I don't know" is also part of the scientific process. . . .

Angry? Try rephrasing that so that there is no presumption in the question. Then I can answer it.

On what basis did you come to the conclusion that former believers are still afraid deep down of the beliefs, but they hide their lack of confidence from themselves with humour and posturing?. . . .And on what basis did you come to the ridiculous conslusion that I am angry? Angry about what exactly?
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by sinequanon: 11:58pm On Feb 19, 2010
mazaje:

Science does NOT claims it knows all things does it? "I don't know" is also part of the scientific process. . . .

I thought that would be "we" don't know -- whoever your "we" may be.

All I am saying is that, while you have to wait for "we", I am learning and understanding for myself. smiley

mazaje:
On what basis did you come to the conclusion that former believers are still afraid deep down of the beliefs, but they hide their lack of confidence from themselves with humour and posturing?. . . .

I said some former believers. I gave an example from experience. Did you not understand it? smiley

mazaje:
And on what basis did you come to the ridiculous conslusion that I am angry? Angry about what exactly?

Try rephrasing that so that there is no presumption in the question. Then I can answer it.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Dolemite(f): 11:59pm On Feb 19, 2010
Back in the day Christians had thinkers and inventors defending Christianity, now they have crazy televangelists and the greedy politicians on their side. . .this shows we atheists are winning the fight against ignorance due to human nature. . .there IS no god or devil. . .
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by MrCrackles(m): 12:00am On Feb 20, 2010
A lot. . . . . grin
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by jagunlabi(m): 8:24am On Feb 20, 2010
Dolemite:

Back in the day Christians had thinkers and inventors defending Christianity, now they have crazy televangelists and the greedy politicians on their side. . .this shows we atheists are winning the fight against ignorance due to human nature. . .there IS no god or devil. . .
They have descended or devolved a long way. cheesy
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:39pm On Feb 20, 2010
Where is davidylan to refute devolution grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by bawomolo(m): 9:01pm On Feb 20, 2010
in defense of dawodu, he isn't a fan of the benny hinn's and daddy go's.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by ilosiwaju: 5:38pm On Feb 21, 2010
@OP: Sinequanon, something makes me think you are in a stage where you really need to define where you stand as per religious views and hence by way of opinion poll get some insights on some potential pitfalls. Not sure, just think so. Some of your posts on the "Fundamental difference between science and religion" thread to me shows someone in a religious dilemma.
Please prove me wrong and tell me the faith / belief you subscribe to. Pardon me if you once stated it elsewhere in a thread, i just cant dig up posts at the moment. Dont use Pastor AIO's way of dodging please, brother.

Quote from sinequanon
prediction
Well, i recently was staring at my ceiling fan during a blackout and said "NEPA should just bring this light" and guess what? The light came. Does that make me a superman? Whatever answer you have to my NEPA story, apply it to your PREDICTION thingy. It has been noted so many times that when people make predictions they tend to count the hits and rarely the misses. Was the prediction picture perfect? How guessable was it? What's the probability NOT in favour of her prediction? Answer all honestly please. Let me save my sweat sha, it's just a personal anecdote of yours. No Proof! Tell her to predict what i'll have for breakfast tomorrow(headstart: i hate ogi, i dont like tea and i dont love bread grin ). yeah, i know your answer: it does not really work that way.
grin grin grin
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Tudor6(f): 6:41pm On Feb 21, 2010
^^

By the powers given me by the powers of the 7th metaphysical heaven, I predict you are going to suck brea.st for breakfast tomorrow.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by sinequanon: 6:42pm On Feb 21, 2010
ilosiwaju:

@OP: Sinequanon, something makes me think you are in a stage where you really need to define where you stand as per religious views and hence by way of opinion poll get some insights on some potential pitfalls. Not sure, just think so. Some of your posts on the "Fundamental difference between science and religion" thread to me shows someone in a religious dilemma. Please prove me wrong. . .

I am not here to prove anything, as such. I post my opinion; others interpret it however they see fit, just as you have done above.  smiley

ilosiwaju:
. . .and tell me the faith / belief you subscribe to. Pardon me if you once stated it elsewhere in a thread, i just cant dig up posts at the moment. Dont use Pastor AIO's way of dodging please, brother.

I have no religion and no god.

Pastor AIO is one of the very, very few people I have encountered on any forum, able to "see outside the box." Not everyone is capable of following his perspectives.

ilosiwaju:
Well, i recently was staring at my ceiling fan during a blackout and said "NEPA should just bring this light" and guess what? The light came. Does that make me a superman? Whatever answer you have to my NEPA story, apply it to your PREDICTION thingy. It has been noted so many times that when people make predictions they tend to count the hits and rarely the misses. Was the prediction picture perfect? How guessable was it? What's the probability NOT in favour of her prediction? Answer all honestly please. Let me save my sweat sha, it's just a personal anecdote of yours. No Proof! Tell her to predict what i'll have for breakfast tomorrow(headstart: i hate ogi, i dont like tea and i dont love bread grin ). yeah, i know your answer: it does not really work that way.
grin grin grin

Yes, it is my personal experience I have recounted. I use my own understanding to gain value from it. I am not trying to prove anything to you, or anyone else. Please feel free to have your own interpretation or defer to some common interpretation.

On a different, but related, point, I wonder why it is that, when a scientist says he predicted that it will rain weekend, no-one then asks him to predict what they will have for breakfast the following day.  cool I hope you understand. Forgive me if I reserve deeper discussion of the questions you have asked for the likes of Pastor AIO.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Mikaela: 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2010
I am not suffering from any withdrawal symptom. I have never believed in euh what do you call him again? The revolutionary hippy. Ah right, Jesus. I don't mind believing that he existed. If he did, he was high on weed. I just don't believe that he was the son of the other loser , God ! Ha ! Faith is something personal, if you want to believe that there's an asshole up in the sky watching as the puppets he created suffer, fine by me. I prefer science.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by ilosiwaju: 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2010
Ok sir, the obviously more intelligent sinequanon: you dont owe me proof per se, was just curious. Thanks for debunking my hypothesis though. About interpretation, i have absolute respect for pastor AIO despite not always agreeing with him but my little concern is this your taking up of arms in his defense grin . He sees things outside the box, sure even people who dont also feel they have super-perspectives. AIO is my man just like several of every poster here(deepsight,krayola,wirinet,tudor,mavenbox,jesoul,nwakwo, even u yourself etc.)

Forgive you for reserving some deeper discussions for Pastor AIO? haba! carry go my brother! wetin me i sabi? no offense taken at all.
And about the science-rain-breakfast discussion, i'll seat back and watch the smarties play on.

folds hands, quietly waiting
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by sinequanon: 6:55pm On Feb 22, 2010
ilosiwaju:
folds hands, quietly waiting

OK. I offer my apologies to you. I may have been a little impetuous. We shall see.  grin

ilosiwaju:

Ok sir, the obviously more intelligent sinequanon: you dont owe me proof per se, was just curious. Thanks for debunking my hypothesis though. About interpretation, i have absolute respect for pastor AIO despite not always agreeing with him but my little concern is this your taking up of arms in his defense grin . He sees things outside the box, sure even people who dont also feel they have super-perspectives. AIO is my man just like several of every poster here(deepsight,krayola,wirinet,tudor,mavenbox,jesoul,nwakwo, even u yourself etc.)

I am humbled that you can see insight where I only see ranting.

ilosiwaju:
Forgive you for reserving some deeper discussions for Pastor AIO? haba! carry go my brother! wetin me i sabi? no offense taken at all.
And about the science-rain-breakfast discussion, i'll seat back and watch the smarties play on.

Yes, I should simply have asked you what made you manoeuvre from the account I related about an incident at my old school to your culinary habits. Instead, I rushed to conclusions about the likelihood of engaging in meaningful discussion with you. But now, having sampled your wit and intelligence, I realise greater patience would have been in order. Were you simply tired or famished when your mind wandered over to tomorrow's breakfast, or is there something deeper I am missing?
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by benodic: 11:57pm On Feb 22, 2010
dear sinequanon,
your experience is something that is very common to me as an awakened soul. that i even take it for granted. future things that are about to happen to me are shown to me routinely through my dreams and soul travel. you will also find that there are many souls too who have such experiences on a daily basis. yesterday i had a dream where some members of a program i am running came to discuss their concerns over the program. knowing that my dreams are real i immediately prepared to address the issues. and of course first thing in the morning the first member came and i answered all his questions and later in the day another one came and i was able to address the issues he presented. the explanation is very simple. when soul starts awakening by doing the spiritual exercises, it is able to be in touch with all souls as we are all connected together through the cords of Gods love and whatever another soul wants to present to you first registers in your awareness and can be seen in your dream worlds when you sleep. but for souls who are not yet awakened these things also appear in their dreams but it is jumbled up and they can not make the connections. you do not have to accept my explanation as of course you do not believe in God. but like i told you before it is just a matter of time. it may be in this lifetime or another but when the time is right nobody will tell you whether God exists or not.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by sinequanon: 12:46am On Feb 23, 2010
benodic:

. . .you do not have to accept my explanation as of course you do not believe in God. but like i told you before it is just a matter of time. it may be in this lifetime or another but when the time is right nobody will tell you whether God exists or not.

You have come to the beginning of a wonderful realisation, but your ego is still talking.

I don't chant. I don't do 'spiritual exercises'. I don't believe in god. It is your ego talking.

When you are able to finally let go of your ego, I believe your realisation will be improved.
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by InesQor(m): 2:34am On Feb 23, 2010
How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms?

cool Statistical data unavailable! grin
Re: How Many Atheists Are Suffering From Withdrawal Symptoms? by Krayola(m): 4:33am On Feb 23, 2010
undecided undecided

It's funny how having a difference of opinion is often seen as not understanding. As if it is impossible to just simply disagree.

Some people think outside the box. . . they just don't all swallow everything outside the box.

Withdrawal symptoms ko, side effects ni. . . . .

SHOOT.ME.NOW!!

(1) (Reply)

Lucifer Persona - The Lesson Misconcieved | Misinterpreted | Misinformed / Tithers VS Non-tithers / REVEALED: How A Woman Almost Seduced Me – RCCG G.O. Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.