Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,815 members, 7,813,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:19 PM

*jamb Cutoff For 2017: My Opinion* - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / *jamb Cutoff For 2017: My Opinion* (444 Views)

Meet Oau’s Best Graduating Student For 2017/2018 Graduating Set – Femi Lawal / Jamb Finally Releases Cut-off Marks For 2017 Admission / JAMB Introduces Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) For 2017/18 Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

*jamb Cutoff For 2017: My Opinion* by Tourshaw: 11:10pm On Aug 24, 2017
*JAMB CUTOFF FOR 2017: MY OPINION*

The registrar of the JAMB Professor Isiaq Oloyede has on 22nd of August, declared *120* as benchmark for admission into universities for this year and *100* for other higher institutions of learning like polytechnics, monotechnics, colleges of education and others.

This move by JAMB has been generating mixed reactions in the midst of Nigerians. While some see this decision as inimical to the growth of education in the country, others opine that it's a giant stride and laudable development. This is actually expected as you don't expect everyone to have linear perspective of reasoning.

If someone asked me what I see about this abrupt reduction in the cutoff, I wouldn't blindly conclude that it's nonsense. However, let's critically examine the rational in the decision together to see whether to go for the former or the latter.

Firstly, everyone in life always looks for a second chance. Second chance is very important to anyone that messes up on the first instance. You cannot be so sure that those who didn't perform well are dullards. There are a good number of reasons why students fail. A brilliant student maybe psychological troubled during the exam and fail. The reason for some maybe financial incapacitating. Some fail because of lack good orientation of the exam. This and many like that. So, if this is the case, pegging cutoff to 120 will imply giving people like that a second chance from post utme.

Ok. What if we look at the institutions side of the story? You will see that it makes economic sense to them. Thanks to reinstatement of post UTME. Schools will now have the chance of generating income, more income. This decision will attract crowd to all the schools. I have a friend who scored 140. People like him can now also try their luck and add to the purse of their preferred schools. No doubt, schools will accept this decision with open arms. Afterall, this decision doesn't ask anyone school to bite more than what it can chew.

You know why I'm in love with this decision? It involves two parties -the students and the schools and it favours both parties which is always rare. More students will participate in the admission exercise and more money will be generated by the schools. So, kudos to JAMB for the fairness of this decision.

Written by:
*_Moomeen Tourshaw,_*
#MyWriteUpMyOpinion
Re: *jamb Cutoff For 2017: My Opinion* by Enoma222(m): 11:29pm On Aug 24, 2017
i totally support the new jamb cut of mark for universities and polytechnic let post Utme be use as d major exam in gaining admission because jamb exam dis year was bad even the jamb boss knows dat why he reduce it dat much

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After / Over 300 Nigerian Institutions Kicked Against Jamb Cut Off Marks Set Their Own / Re: Fire Incident At Anchor University: Setting The Record Straight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.