Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission (21630 Views)

Polls: VCs, ASUU Disagree As FG Shuts Universities / ASUU Strike: Committee Of VCs Recommend ₦800,000 For Profs, To Resolve Deadlock / IPPIS: Some VCs Collected N58,000 As February Salary – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by NinaArsenal(f): 8:54am On Aug 25, 2017
very good.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Lilimax(f): 8:54am On Aug 25, 2017
120 as pass mark for UME is too poor.
Pass marks should be placed at 200
Children should read their books in order not to score below 200 to be admitted in the Universities

1 Like

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by sundayakasdy(m): 8:56am On Aug 25, 2017
their children are affected, so they want to use this means to push them into schools by force.....

what a country.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by barbienazom(f): 8:57am On Aug 25, 2017
They are all acting like confused children.
I thought there were representatives from all schools present at the meeting?
Why didn't they reach an agreement before releasing their press statement?
They are just toying with people's lives cus their children are not in the system

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by xreal: 8:57am On Aug 25, 2017
Oloyede was antiASUU during his time as both DVC and VC...... I am not surprised if they get back at him now.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by sparkwil(m): 8:58am On Aug 25, 2017
This present administration seems bereft of sound educational policies
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by xreal: 8:59am On Aug 25, 2017
Deal39422:
This is Great news for you. The New season is here and I'm ready to make your wishes come through. Check out our previous success story.. Check details below.

Why not be legit for once?
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Chidonc(m): 8:59am On Aug 25, 2017
alex81:
must u bring tribal sentiments into everything

I tire for some people sha...
no offense sire, you are the one with a tribal sentiment here, as long as this system of quota education continues Nigeria wont move forward, let everything be on merit. no need of lowering cut off mark to favor some region, when the bench mark is higher, the competition becomes stiffer and the competitors train more harder. let room be created for the best.

3 Likes

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by oyienootieno: 8:59am On Aug 25, 2017
They should be investigated. If their childrwn are not suffering from their stupidity they should be jailed. Jail a few and see how they will fall in place like well boiled rice.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by tsmat(m): 9:00am On Aug 25, 2017
its sad that Nigeria is considering 120 as cutoff mark.......education is finished in this country...imagine a student will score 100/400 and will get admission to a polytechnic?....WTF is wrong with this country

2 Likes

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by rafson37(m): 9:00am On Aug 25, 2017
eyeview:
The truth is that since most states in the south started complaining against high cut off marks for their indigenes while their northen counterparts get very low cut offs for the same course and school, jamb instead of raising the uniform cut off to a level that will make the north work a bit harder, they in the spirit of tribal sentiments lowered the cut off to the 'northern standard' even when they know it will destroy our already deteoriating educational standard.
The day we stop doing favoritism towards the north who have refused to catch up with the south and start doing things by merit is the day we'll start moving forward as a nation
can u pls tell me which university in the north give admission below 180 cut of mark. I need evidence pls.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by imustsaymymindo: 9:00am On Aug 25, 2017
authority2006:

Let's stop deceiving ourselves about northerners this, northerners that. When I was seeking admission into the OAU with 265 UTME score to study pharmacy some years back, I couldn't get admission because the cut was set at 270 by the OAU Senate while the cut off mark for medicine and surgery was set at 280.
Did you know that my former classmate in the secondary school in Osogbo was given admission into the OAU same year to study medicine and surgery with UTME score of 230? And we're both yoruba!
My point is this: what is the essence of setting high cut off marks for various courses only to be taking candidates with low UTME scores but who have connections or money through the backdoor just to put other hardworking students at disadvantage?
This personal experience that I just shared is a common knowledge to all. It's nothing new and it's not going to stop.
I'm a brilliant student during my days, but why would I continue to support practices that unjustly put me at disadvantage?
Let everyone be given same chance.

Correct! Either they reduce it to 20 marks sef, the whole admission process is flawed because it is tainted with corruption in many forms, nepotism and bribery included. It's better to just go to a private university or enter through public universities with diploma and those other channels.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by lelvin(m): 9:01am On Aug 25, 2017
Angel Micheal, please blow the trumpet now.

1 Like

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by oyienootieno: 9:01am On Aug 25, 2017
Lilimax:
120 as pass mark for UME is too poor.
Pass marks should be placed at 200
Children should read their books in order not to score below 200 to be admitted in the Universities

You are no different from mama peace. Who are the children? Next time use the word 'student' not a child like you calling your elders children.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by godwinony(m): 9:06am On Aug 25, 2017
authority2006:

Let's stop deceiving ourselves about northerners this, northerners that. When I was seeking admission into the OAU with 265 UTME score to study pharmacy some years back, I couldn't get admission because the cut was set at 270 by the OAU Senate while the cut off mark for medicine and surgery was set at 280.
Did you know that my former classmate in the secondary school in Osogbo was given admission into the OAU same year to study medicine and surgery with UTME score of 230? And we're both yoruba!
My point is this: what is the essence of setting high cut off marks for various courses only to be taking candidates with low UTME scores but who have connections or money through the backdoor just to put other hardworking students at disadvantage?
This personal experience that I just shared is a common knowledge to all. It's nothing new and it's not going to stop.
I'm a brilliant student during my days, but why would I continue to support practices that unjustly put me at disadvantage?
This is a valid point and the non-uniform admission cut off mark is also valid. During my time though those people ( that got in through connections and those without solid academic backgrounds) couldn't stand the fire of competitive academic work and were naturally weeded out before we graduated..

2 Likes

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Monalisa185(f): 9:06am On Aug 25, 2017
very useless education system

1 Like

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by babadeee(m): 9:06am On Aug 25, 2017
My Laptop for sale, any interested person should pls call me on 08146678220... Hp 15PC 1terabit hard drive 8GB RAM Intel Core I3 Windows 10 and 3hours back up

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by tosyne2much(m): 9:08am On Aug 25, 2017
Every sane Nigerian should know that the criteria for this year's admission was lowered to give hope to the hopeless and extort money from them

1 Like

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 25, 2017
Thank God I'm done with university at the bachelor's level. The future of education in Nigeria sucks. They call us unemployable youths but this our sit tight old fathers with forged reduce age stay in service and formulate policies that are inept, dead on arrival and wil lead to total collapse of education.

They never sit to formulate on how to increase standard, funding, infrastructure, stop corruption in varsities. If graduates are unemployable shouldn't the graduating school pick up the blame and not the individual. C'mon they certified the individual both in learning and character.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by teamsynergy: 9:11am On Aug 25, 2017
authority2006:

whether u like it or not, the north still plays a big row in this. I finished from Oau and I can tell u that students from most northern states, bayelsa and few other states enjoy this jamb cut off benefit.. u see most of them gaining admission with just 200, while you have to score 240 and above to study same course....

that u weren't admitted cos I didn't meet ur state cut off mark is justified. ur friend in medicine used connection which u don't av. this happens in every school.. but the underlining issue still points to the north

1 Like

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by erico2k2(m): 9:12am On Aug 25, 2017
I think Jamb should be done away with.Everyone should go to Uni based on their O level.you get teachings for 6 years preparing you for O level and get non for JAMB!

1 Like

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Nukualofa: 9:13am On Aug 25, 2017
authority2006:

Your friend got the admission because of his state which might be Educational Less Developed States. Mind you, all the Northern states fall into it
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 25, 2017
babadeee:
My Laptop for sale, any interested person should pls call me on 08146678220... Hp 15PC 1terabit hard drive 8GB RAM Intel Core I3 Windows 10 and 3hours back up

How much and ur location?
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Teaser4(m): 9:15am On Aug 25, 2017
I'm currently serving in the northern part of the country, my ppa na wan secondary sch like that, lemme tel u dis bitter truth, most hausas(97%) are naturally dumb academically, even the exams na class work, how do u expect those ones to score 120 in jamb. Education n north na like madrid n barca.

2 Likes

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Lilimax(f): 9:17am On Aug 25, 2017
oyienootieno:

You are no different from mama peace. Who are the children? Next time use the word 'student' not a child like you calling your elders children.
I hear o! cheesy
BTW, most students writing JAMB are kids
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by tbliss22(m): 9:23am On Aug 25, 2017
God have mercy!! Must this guy bow to northern pressure? I remember those days of Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, he stood his ground and remain focused even under pressure.

For crying out loud, the cut-off mark will only open doors for unscrupulous elements who have no business in building a career into the university environment.

It will only increase cultism, prostitution and heavy witchcraft which put both academic and non-academic workers at the receiving end.

Finally, looking at these old men's level of thinking, it's obvious they aren't thinking ahead. I still wonder why a registrar will accept such and with no shame declaring it openly.

30% is a poor grade to seek university admission!!
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by linearity: 9:28am On Aug 25, 2017
mansakhalifa:
The Academics know the truth. 120/400 is way too low and ridiculous for the sensible mind. In my opinion,it is outrageously mediocre at best.

This is much ado about nothing!

JAMB is not forcing any University to admit students with 120 in UME....120 is just the minimum cut off point, each University have the liberty to e.g. set even 300 as their cut off point, if that will meet their admission goals.

The 120 cut off only means more students will qualify for post-UME, which is more money for the schools...I don't see why they are complaining.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by modsfucker: 9:30am On Aug 25, 2017
And those with the 120 scores and below would go to Universities abroad and finish their degrees before their Nigerian counterparts and come back and secure jobs with those degrees while their colleagues are in Nigeria in strike grin
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by modsfucker: 9:31am On Aug 25, 2017
Teaser4:
I'm currently serving in the northern part of the country, my ppa na wan secondary sch like that, lemme tel u dis bitter truth, most hausas(97%) are naturally dumb academically, even the exams na class work, how do u expect those ones to score 120 in jamb. Education n north na like madrid n barca.

Lolz... Dumb he says.... There are no dumb students but dumb teachers. If those students should go to the abroad, you would be amazed at how polished they would become

1 Like

Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by Meteoritee: 9:37am On Aug 25, 2017
The day we stop doing favoritism towards the north who have refused to catch up with the south and start doing things by merit is the day we'll start moving forward as a nation[/quote] Those who will graduate as doctors and pharmacists with those ridiculous scores should be to made serve the ppl that made this decision.
Re: VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission by modsfucker: 9:38am On Aug 25, 2017
eyeview:
The truth is that since most states in the south started complaining against high cut off marks for their indigenes while their northen counterparts get very low cut offs for the same course and school, jamb instead of raising the uniform cut off to a level that will make the north work a bit harder, they in the spirit of tribal sentiments lowered the cut off to the 'northern standard' even when they know it will destroy our already deteoriating educational standard.
The day we stop doing favoritism towards the north who have refused to catch up with the south and start doing things by merit is the day we'll start moving forward as a nation

It is quite unfortunate that everything is ethnicised in this country.

No matter what your score is in some God-forsaken JAMB, you still stand a chance to secure admission in Universities abroad with a chance of finishing earlier than your Nigerian counterparts.

The aim should be to have people educated and not to delve into some unhealthy competition.

A friend of mine that used to come last in my class dropped out from my school and went to Malaysia, finished his degree, did his NYSC and secured a Job afterwards while I was still in school. Now we work in the same place and he's my senior.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Students Of GSS Sabo Kaduna Writing Examination While Sitting On The Floor / Fuoye Post Ume Result Is Out / How Sacking Tsunami Swept Auchi Poly After Newspapper Report On Sex Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.