Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? (1857 Views)

Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! / Extramarital Affair - The Warning Signs Before Getting Stuck / Why Do Men Think Their Extramarital Affairs Are Ok? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by madlady(f): 7:50am On Feb 20, 2010
I say it should be kept between the husband and wife and at most the immediate family.
My cousin who is a NL member says the offender should be made to apologize to the extended family because bad behaviour effects us all.

Would you do a " Tiger Woods" or do you think it should be your private concern?   (I am asking this question on behalf of @jennigirl)
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by H2O2: 7:54am On Feb 20, 2010
If that's the case then we'd be holding cheaters-conferences around the clock everyday.

The reason Tiger Woods dutifully apologized to the public has everything to do with his supercelebrity status.
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by madlady(f): 7:56am On Feb 20, 2010
^^I agree 100% and to be honest I thought it was unnecessary, but that's just me, I hate dirty linen being washed in public
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 20, 2010
i will not

marriage is between 2 people
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by madlady(f): 9:58am On Feb 20, 2010
MrPrsdent:

i will not

marriage is between 2 people

100% agree.
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by agathamari(f): 10:08am On Feb 20, 2010
to the entire world no, but to anyone who became involved then yes. did a relative have to "cover" for you? did relatives have to listen to your wife in her suspicions of your acts? did relatives have to console your wife? did relatives have to beg your wife on your behalf? what about friends? if you can honeslty no to all these and related questions then no you have noone other then your wife and children to apologize to, if any one else was involved then yes you have to apologize to them as well since your actions involved them.

if you feel guilty or ashamed for having to apologize to people then obviously you knew your actions were wrong - why would you do it if not prepared for the fall out the is inevitable
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by madlady(f): 10:10am On Feb 20, 2010
^^I see your point of view.
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by Nobody: 10:16am On Feb 20, 2010
agathamari:

to the entire world no, but to anyone who became involved then yes. did a relative have to "cover" for you? did relatives have to listen to your wife in her suspicions of your acts? did relatives have to console your wife? did relatives have to beg your wife on your behalf? what about friends? if you can honeslty no to all these and related questions then no you have noone other then your wife and children to apologize to, if any one else was involved then yes you have to apologize to them as well since your actions involved them.

if you feel guilty or ashamed for having to apologize to people then obviously you knew your actions were wrong - why would you do it if not prepared for the fall out the is inevitable

thats why a married person should not wash their dirty linens in public.

Marriage is between 2 people,otherwise stay single
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by H2O2: 10:28am On Feb 20, 2010
agathamari:

Of course, that's the normal course of action when you hurt people. You should apologize for wrongs.

As per topic,
again
We drag people in the mud and hurt them with our actions in ways other than cheating too, so why should cheating preferentially receive special treatment or require an audience seeking your forgiveness?

No one is pure. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 

Like I stated earlier, Tiger's apology was calculated and meticulously scripted.  He did not feel obliged to give an apology.  Due to his status as a mega public figure he had to put the surrounding hoopla to rest by coming out with a few statements, else the media will continue to make his life hell on earth.
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by madlady(f): 10:41am On Feb 20, 2010
quote by H202
Like I stated earlier, Tiger's apology was calculated and meticulously scripted.  He did not feel obliged to give an apology.  Due to his status as a mega public figure he had to put the surrounding hoopla to rest by coming out with a few statements, else the media will continue to make his life hell on earth.
[quote][/quote]

Yes you are right in all you have said, sadly,  I believe it should be his and the wife's business.
You  are  right also in your statement with regards to the media.

In my culture the extended family always involve themselves and influence the couple, is this for the good?
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by H2O2: 10:48am On Feb 20, 2010
Yeah, obviously. Love and Trust are an integral foundation of relationships. Cheating is in violation of that trust and love and it puts that foundation on shaky grounds. I would imagine that they get involved to repair the damage born by the mishap. It would be great if the couple can find a working "do it yourself approach" that would resolve the problem, but I don't see that being possible in most cases because the hurt cuts far too deep and the vow-breaking act leaves an acrid taste in the mouth. I can see how involving mature minds could do wonders for the couple, and I can also see how involving those third parties could also be volatile and embarrassing.
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by madlady(f): 10:53am On Feb 20, 2010
H2O2:

Yeah, obviously. Love and Trust are an integral foundation of relationships. Cheating is in violation of that trust and love and it puts that foundation on shaky grounds. I would imagine that they get involved to repair the damage born by the mishap. It would be great if the couple can find a working "do it yourself approach" that would resolve the problem, but I don't see that being possible in most cases because the hurt cuts far too deep and the vow-breaking act leaves an acrid taste in the mouth. I can see how involving mature minds could do wonders for the couple, and I can also see how involving those third parties could also be volatile and embarrassing.

The latter part of your statement is my stance, but after reading your full comment I shall try to understand my extended family's contributions.

Thank you.
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by H2O2: 11:09am On Feb 20, 2010
Come to think of it, maybe if cheaters are subject to public humiliation they would reduce in number.

I doubt it would be effective for too long though because it too would eventually become casual.
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by madlady(f): 11:18am On Feb 20, 2010
^^Hence the full prisons.

Not that I am saying prison is the place for cheaters grin
Re: Extramarital Affairs,would you apologize to your extended family? by N101: 3:41pm On Feb 21, 2010
H2O2:

Of course, that's the normal course of action when you hurt people.  You should apologize for wrongs.

As per topic,
again
We drag people in the mud and hurt them with our actions in ways other than cheating too, so why should cheating preferentially receive special treatment or require an audience seeking your forgiveness?

No one is pure. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 

I have a problem with  your last sentence, I really think you need to put that quote in context.

This is not about "he who is without sin", it is about accountability and acceptance of wrongdoing. That quote does not absolve anyone of their sin, neither does it make anyone's wrongdoing ok.

If a person is wrong, they should admit they are wrong regardless of what the other party has or hasn't done.  To not do so is simply failing to take responsibility for our own actions and - in the context of the quote - trying to scapegoat someone else to cover up our own bad behaviour.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Unmask A Miscreant Who Wants To Break My Family By All Means / Stuck Between LG And Samsung Washer (front Loader)- Please Advise. / Dealing With Oversensitivity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.