Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,860 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months (4746 Views)

5 Reasons Why Car Insurance Is Better Than Car Tracker / Virus Attack On Car AC System. A Must Read For Car Owners With Active AC / Roadx Motorsport Is Organising A Launch Party For Car Racing Fans In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by sirlekzy: 11:01am On Aug 26, 2017

Car insurance rates change daily. How often should you compare quotes to be sure you have the cheapest premium rates?

Car insurance is meant to protect drivers from financial loss in the event of an at-fault accident. But it doesn’t always feel like insurance is out to save us money when the monthly premium rate is due.

While paying for car insurance is inevitable, you do have a choice in how much you pay for your coverage.

To ensure you’re getting the cheapest car insurance, you should shop around every six months.

While it isn’t fun, the internet and rise of mobile devices have made comparing auto insurance quotes faster and easier than ever. So why not set aside 10 minutes twice a year?

1. Car insurance companies change rates all the time
Car insurance providers change their rates many times throughout the year to account for different risk factors.

Premiums rates can fluctuate from month to month or even day to day.

For example, if you live in a state like Alabama your premium rates will most likely be higher if you’re shopping for car insurance between March and May because it’s peak tornado season.

Therefore most property is at risk for damage within this short period of time. An increase in claims means companies must increase rates to cover these payouts.

Changes in car insurance quotes from day to day won’t be significant enough to turn heads, but those fluctuations over a longer period of time, like 6 months, can save you hundreds a year.

Insurance companies use their claims payout data from the past to predict risks for the upcoming year. An increase or decrease in risk due to weather predictions or criminal activity may cause your provider to adjust their costs.

It’s important to know that companies’ rate hikes or reductions must be approved by your state’s insurance department.

2. States change insurance laws and requirements
Your state’s insurance department sets the legal requirements for liability, personal injury protection, and other coverage options.

For example, drivers in California are legally required to purchase a minimum of $15,000 for bodily injury/death to one person, $30,000 for bodily injury/death to more than one person, and $5,000 for damage to property.

Drivers in California can also opt out of insurance with a cash payment of financial responsibility OR they have the option to sign up for government subsidized auto insurance.

No matter which state you call home, insurance requirements can change with new legislation which means you may need more or less coverage in order to comply with the law.

3. Changes in your credit history
It is legal in most states for car insurance companies to use your credit score to determine your premium rates. The only states that do not take credit score into account are California, Hawaii, and Massachusetts.

In a study conducted by the Bureau of Business Research at UT’s McCombs School of Business, there is a correlation between your credit score and how likely you are to file a claim or be at fault in a car accident.

Insurance companies use this research to mark drivers with poor credit scores as financially irresponsible and thus raise their premium costs.

It’s estimated that drivers with poor credit scores pay an average of $214 more a year on their premium than drivers with good scores.

An insurance company’s ability to ask for credit scores, known as red-ling, is seen as discriminatory because it’s built upon the social, racial, and economical disadvantages deep-rooted in low income and minority groups.

The Consumer Reports union advocates the banning of red-lining in all 50 states.

4. Tickets, traffic violations, and accidents fall off your record
Blemishes on your driving record like traffic violations and at-fault accidents live on your driving record forever.

While that sounds threatening, it won’t affect your premium rates forever. Auto insurance companies cannot legally factor in violations or accidents after a certain number of years from the time of the mishap.

The average time a violation will affect your insurance rates is 3 to 5 years.

5. Changes in lifestyle
A lot can change in a week! So by the time 6 months have passed your lifestyle changes could save you money on your car insurance rates.

Birthdays: The older you get, the less you pay for car insurance (that is, until you hit your 60’s).

It’s important for younger drivers to shop around often because car insurance premiums drop once you reach age 20 and continue to drop every year after that until age 60.

New Driver: In the last 6 months maybe your teen got their license or your mother in law moved in with you or a child moved back home after college. Whatever the reason, adding a new driver to your policy is a good time to shop around for a new car insurance policy.

Because anyone living under your roof who may drive your car at any time (even just once) should be added to your policy to ensure your vehicle is covered. Whoever lives with you will still be considered in your rates as a licensed driver living in your household.

There’s a chance for your rates to increase or decrease depending on someone’s driving and financial record.

For example, adding a new driver to your policy can unlock a multi-driver discount. On the other hand, if your in-law with a terrible driving record just moved in you can expect to see a rise in your premium costs.

Get your coverages and discounts sorted so you’re not paying too much or too little for a coverage plan that could leave you vulnerable.

New House or Address: Your home or apartment address comes with a number of risk factors that affect the cost of your car insurance. So, if you’re a young adult who moves frequently after each leasing year you should always be shopping for new insurance quotes.

When setting your premiums, insurance providers consider the crime and traffic rates of where your car spends most of its time. High risk areas mean higher insurance premiums.

If your home is located in an area with high rates of both, you may want to add on comprehensive or collision coverages that will cover you in the event of theft or damages.

If you just bought your first home, car insurance companies give a generous discount to homeowners!

Marriage: The National Institute of Health found that drivers who had never been married were twice as likely to be in an accident than married individuals.

If you and your spouse or domestic partner have compatible auto insurance policies, you’ll be able to unlock some serious discounts if you merge them into one policy.

Compatibility of insurance policies depends on factors like your driving records, credit scores, vehicles, and mileage.

If your spouse drives a very expensive car, has a poor credit score or driving record it may be best to keep them off of your insurance policy.

Graduation: You educational background has an effect on your car insurance premiums. The more education you have, the less you pay for coverage.

Study show that drivers without a Bachelors or Masters degree pay an average of 20% more for their car insurance coverage than those with advanced degrees.

The thought process behind this is the same as why single people pay more for insurance. Insurance companies find correlations between drivers without degrees and a higher number of at-fault accidents and consider it a verifiable cause.

6. You’ve maintained coverage for the past 6 months (or year)
Car insurance is usually most expensive for first time buyers or for drivers who have had a lapse in coverage for a long period of time.

Insurance providers consider drivers without a history of previous coverage to be high risk. They have no data on the number of claims you make or how good you are at making timely payments; so they prepare for the worst.

Once you have car insurance for 6 months or longer you’re considered a safer risk and you can unlock continuous coverage and loyalty discounts.

7. Your vehicle loses value over time because of depreciation
You shouldn’t be paying the same insurance rate every year for a car that has less value than when you originally insured it.

Depreciation is the loss in value of a new vehicle the moment it’s driven off the dealership lot.

Depreciation continues for the entirety of a car’s life whether you purchased it new or used. However the value of brand new cars drop by 40% within the first year of ownership.

Reassessing your car insurance policy every 6 months to a year will refresh your discounts and coverage options, like collision and comprehensive, that will match the decreasing value of your vehicle.

Research shows that 5 year old car models spend 20% less on car insurance than new year models.

8. Your neighborhood’s weather, population density, and crime levels
External factors outside of your control unfortunately have control over the cost of your car insurance.

Even if you have a clean driving record and credit history, if you live in a highly populated area with severe weather or high levels of theft you will be paying more to protect your vehicle.

Your rates can be even more expensive if you buy insurance through a carrier that insures a large portion of the population you live in. The company is taking on more risk by serving that area and thus will need to charge more to cover claims payouts.

Researching and getting quotes from carriers that serve fewer people in your area may get you a lower rate than your neighbors.

9. “New” customers get better rates
Drivers looking for car insurance will get better rates if they wait 6 months or more to shop for quotes. Why?

According to insurance company insiders, new customers are given lower rates simply as a way to get them in the door.

“New” customer doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve never had insurance before. Simply requesting quotes from a different insurance company after 6 months with your current provider makes you new and appealing.

A little online research every 6 months can save you around $50 on a policy.

Remember to shop for car insurance quotes every 6 months
Shopping around for car insurance quotes every 6 months allows you to keep track of situational changes in relation to your coverage and it will keep your insurance provider on their toes when it comes to offering you discounts and coverage recommendations.

While your insurance agent should be helpful, they have dozens of clients. It’s your responsibility to alert them when you encounter a situation that might change your policy needs and premium rates.

Source: http://www.360ray.com.ng/9-reasons-shop-car-insurance-every-6-months/

Cc: Seun, Mynd44, Parkingzzz, lalasticlala
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by wunmi590(m): 8:37am On Aug 27, 2017
Today is my birthday nairalander, please some likes for me, to celebrate me.

Thanks

5 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by Franco93: 8:38am On Aug 27, 2017
Nigerians insure their cars in the blood of Jesus, it's free and non-renewable.
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by kolajoo(m): 8:38am On Aug 27, 2017
grin
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by MzHolly(f): 8:38am On Aug 27, 2017
I don't have car yet. I wanna buy a jet first
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by MurderEnglish(m): 8:38am On Aug 27, 2017
you are only talked about America America only.
Talked to us about it in Nigeria related.

If your car spoilt by accident in Nigeria, the 2 person will fight fight fight an after fighting one person called police and police will arrets the others man. The police will forced them to repairer that man's car. That is all I know. If I am lucky it will be bring to my shop and I repared it no matter what damage it damaged.

Talk to us in Nigeria term not outside pipo ter
undecided

4 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 27, 2017
shocked

WTF? This bs made FP? RIP nairaland.
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by bettercreature(m): 8:40am On Aug 27, 2017
Hmmmmmmm
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 27, 2017
HBD wunmi590
Blessings follow you.

wunmi590:
Today is my birthday nairalander, please some likes for me, to celebrate me.

Thanks
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by sleeknick: 8:43am On Aug 27, 2017
grin

Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by Invisibleojay(m): 8:44am On Aug 27, 2017
I want to buy car before this year end that's why I joined

https://pullerbee.com
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by dingbang(m): 8:44am On Aug 27, 2017
Nigerians no care about car insurance.

We will use the motor until it spoils completely.
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by OboOlora(f): 8:45am On Aug 27, 2017
Copy n paste, is Nigeria California ? Mschewww

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by wunmi590(m): 8:45am On Aug 27, 2017
siakhris:
HBD wunmi590
Blessings follow you.

Thanks brother and you too cool
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by dunkem21(m): 8:48am On Aug 27, 2017
Imagine our people throwing away opportunities because of misinformation .. Do you know that insuring your car is the wisest thing to do. Our comprehensive policy covers third party, your car and Life! @ a token.

Our executive Health care package covers pregnant women from ante natal to post delivery @ choice hospitals without paying a dime!

Now, SAVE at least N5k with us monthly for a year and we will give you a FREE* LIFE cover!

If you get N1m to invest @10% ROI guaranteed, come to the other room.

If you get person wey wan retire or even retired, come make I package am make im dey chop better salary for Life(I will pay you for bringing this golden customer)

Bring Marine Insurance, both of us don hammer be that.

We @ American International company are committed to make you enjoy life like the Americans.

Wanna be a millionaire?. ..
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 27, 2017
Franco93:
Nigerians insure their cars in the blood of Jesus, it's free and non-renewable.
This got me laughing crazily now.

You forgot to add this;

Go for new/non popular insurance coys like Wawanesa insurance. I now pay $750/6month comprehensive for a 2016 sedan and 2013 truck though I have some military discounts. Thieves like farmers insurance used to rip me off over 200 bucks monthly.
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by Emmerlee(m): 9:10am On Aug 27, 2017
The second point doesn't really apply to the Nigerian situation but it's still an 'okay' write up.
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by yeman1(m): 9:30am On Aug 27, 2017
Nonsense! I'm just paying for car insurance 5k here per year. I really don't know what it works for. if u don't pay or ur car's document is up till date and no valid insurance, they would definitely pin u down unless u settle them before they can let u go. (police them) my question is, is there anyway federal govt can review this so called Insurance?
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by sniperwolf(m): 9:38am On Aug 27, 2017
This one na for Americans not Nigerians
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by dunkem21(m): 10:17am On Aug 27, 2017
yeman1:
Nonsense! I'm just paying for car insurance 5k here per year. I really don't know what it works for. if u don't pay or ur car's document is up till date and no valid insurance, they would definitely pin u down unless u settle them before they can let u go. (police them) my question is, is there anyway federal govt can review this so called Insurance?

Lol cheesy Federal Govt dey support insurance companies and enforce compliance. Infact, any money you save or invest with us is TAX FREE! approved by the govt.
The N5k you pay is for third party (the insurance company will repair the person's car you hit while you sort yourself out.)

The problem is that Nigerians don't even know their rights and the insurance companies are living off their ignorance.

Make me your agent today cool
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by refreshrate: 10:18am On Aug 27, 2017
The moment I saw Alabama I just stopped reading
Technically this isn't for us...but it made front page.

What the double fvckery?

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by yeman1(m): 1:09pm On Aug 27, 2017
dunkem21:

Lol cheesy Federal Govt dey support insurance companies and enforce compliance. Infact, any money you save or invest with us is TAX FREE! approved by the govt.
The N5k you pay is for third party (the insurance company will repair the person's car you hit while you sort yourself out.)

The problem is that Nigerians don't even know their rights and the insurance companies are living off their ignorance.

Make me your agent today cool

what if I didn't hit any car or vise -versa , so what would now happened? are they going to reduce my next insurance or what? I'm going to renew another one by November.
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by brainstorm214(m): 6:24pm On Nov 15, 2019
MrSandman:

Well, maybe someday you will get tired of this and move to America? If so, all this information will be useful for you. I'm thinking about it myself. Problem is - I'm 18 yo and by American laws I'm minor, LOL. I've found some information about it. They think, if you're above 21, you're a risky driver. So I dunno... Maybe I will need to wait until my 21. My parents live here, so I can't add my insurance to their policy, I think grin For this they need to move in America too, but I don't think, they will do it.

Information I'm talking about:
https://www.americaninsurance.com/how-get-insurance-18-year-old-drivers

nice share, man.
I guess you will be able to get the insurance even in 18 y.o.
Re: 9 Reasons To Shop For Car Insurance Every 6 Months by scottmichael197: 2:59pm On Feb 07, 2022
Good article. Thanks for the helpful tips. I really need information on my car insurance right now because I recently got my driver's license and bought myself a nice used Ford. I want to get all the paperwork done as quickly as possible and for that I have already found a nice resource, namely https://www.moneyexpert.com/car-insurance/how-to-insure-a-car-you-don-t-own/.

(1) (Reply)

Choice Of Synthetic Oil. / 10 Best Used Cars/suvs With Good Fuel Economy / My Budget Is 800-900k And I Need These Cars Pls Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.