Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology (1132 Views)

Tiger Woods Finally Speaks: 'I Am Deeply Sorry' / 9ice: Nigerian Tiger Woods / Cheater Tiger Woods Has A Prenup - Is That Fair To His Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by amebono1: 2:07pm On Feb 20, 2010
While everyone seemed to agree that Tiger Woods' televised apology Friday morning was heavily scripted, reactions to the speech were a mixed bag, and in many cases, women and men seemed to differ about the effectiveness of the press conference.

After Tiger's apology aired on all major networks, cable news outlets, and the Web, the TV commentators weighed in. Among those reactions, the men seemed almost unanimous in their opinion that the world's richest athlete had given an effective apology. ABC's George Stephanopoulos expressed awe, calling the speech "one of the most remarkable public apologies ever by a public figure."

CBS' David Feherty, a longtime Woods watcher, agreed: "I have never seen him appear so vulnerable. , I was very impressed with what he said." TMZ's Harvey Levin concurred, Twittering that Tiger's speech "hit the right notes. In a big way." Donald Trump went so far as to express disappointment that Woods even apologized in the first place, telling Forbes "I hate seeing Tiger apologize. I'd much rather see Tiger go out and win tournaments and have a great life."

But the commentary from female viewers was far less fawning and much more cynical. Even before the speech aired, the women-focused blog Double X declared, "Women will never forgive Tiger." After the speech, Fox News commentator Greta Van Susteren offered sharp criticism of the golf pro's apology, saying: "Tiger Woods telling media to be good and responsible to his wife, he is telling OTHERS to be good to his wife? Maybe he should have been?"

Jezebel.com praised Tiger's defense of his wife Elin, but questioned Tiger's motives for the apology, saying, "This — along with his now-notorious 'failings' — makes it hard for me to fully believe anything he says." Patti Stanger, star of Bravo's "The Millionaire Matchmaker" wasn't buying it either, tweeting: "That was a ploy to save sponsors. I can read body language. He's not sorry. I bet he called Rachel Uchitel this morning."

And it wasn't just professional commentators who didn't buy Tiger's "sorry" act. The Orlando Sentinel (Tiger's local paper) rounded up reactions from female members of Tiger's community, and the consensus was that the speech was not enough to make women believe in Tiger again: "I think he doesn't understand that he should have gone through six months of therapy and then come apologize," one female resident noted. Gawker's Doree Shafrir's reaction was especially eviscerating. Calling the speech "robotic and forced," and "excruciating to watch," Shafrir speculated that Elin's absence signaled that "clearly he needs her more than she needs him."

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/reactions-to-tigers-speech-divided-along-gender-lines--1004
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by SisiKill1: 2:20pm On Feb 20, 2010
"Women will never forgive Tiger"

I'm sorry but what the eff kinda statement is that? I'm a woman and i don't care a hoot what Tiger Woods does on his time off the course. This is the crap that pisses me off about Americans. . .the act like they own the celebrities.

Nonsense.
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by GEW: 2:25pm On Feb 20, 2010
Sisi_Kill:

I'm sorry but what the eff kinda statement is that? I'm a woman and i don't care a hoot what Tiger Woods does on his time off the course. This is the crap that pisses me off about Americans. . .the act like they own the celebrities.

Nonsense.
who pay the "celebrities " again?
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by OBLONG(m): 2:26pm On Feb 20, 2010
shocked shocked angry angry
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by sexyLeamon(f): 2:31pm On Feb 20, 2010
Sisi_Kill:

Nonsense.
i agree. It doesn't affect my personal life. He should be apoplogizing to his family no need to make this public undecided
undecided undecided
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by OBLONG(m): 2:32pm On Feb 20, 2010
It must be public because he has "public" investors unfortunately; most of whom he lost due to the scandal.

I trust that he is still boning rachel--- hehe! "don't be fooled"
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by leye1234(m): 2:33pm On Feb 20, 2010

Nonsense.

My sista, no one could have said it better.
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by leye1234(m): 2:36pm On Feb 20, 2010
@ GEWWWW
because the public pays him, that does not mean they[b] own [/b] HIM.
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by amebono1: 7:40am On Feb 21, 2010
I agree with you sisikill, that idiot should be apologising to his immeidate family, after listening to his pressure speech , gawd knows i hated him so much that castration was on my mind
Re: Gender Battle After Tiger Woods Apology by leye1234(m): 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2010
@ sista Amebo
I agree with you sisikill, that idiot should be apologising to his immeidate family, after listening to his pressure speech , gawd knows i hated him so much that castration was on my mind
[i][/i]

The word [b]Hate[/b]is such a strong word for you to use in this case.

(1) (Reply)

Wizkid's Album Vs Davido's Album: Which Is The Bomb? / World’s Luckiest Groom? Daughter Of Tycoon Married Off With 4 Boxes Of Gold, A P / See How Super Stars Partied After The Grammy Awards....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.