Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,056 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (58835 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / My Poultry Farming Experience! / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 28, 2017
larrypourl:

Bro poultry is lucrative if you practice proper hygiene and you're readily available to monitor what goes on in the farm, else those farm attendants will kill one with lies of cracked eggs, etc. Op please and please monitor your sales yourself and always be available on the farm because this investment is huge. Gob bless you.

You are right...Poultry isn't for lazy people

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 28, 2017
ponti93:
i was wondering the same thing o... There are other agricultural businesses that will yield d bigger turnover in a shorter time... All d same good wishs to the op

That's the point..The risk is too high

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by BlackBaron: 5:05pm On Aug 28, 2017
Interesting...
How do you deal with egg glut in the current market.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Zane2point4(m): 5:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
Op when the money will start flowing, you fit mad sef,
I have a frnd who does this bizz, he is really into money, just dont let disease enter the pen thats the trick.

Dont allow less business minded people who havnt counted even 1m see 7.5m as a huge money therefore too much to invest, a real business man sees his capital as his god.

I have seen a guy throw 20m into ceramic importation i know if i say it here some people will start advicing rubbish.

10 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by ikorodureporta: 5:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
Dis na PhD project-o!

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Herelefant(m): 5:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
AryaSand:
World People :- He wasted too much cash on this.

Okay, yes he did. What's the way forward? Should he continue this way or he should sell the birds, get back his capital and start again on a smaller scale? Is an expert willing to put him through if he does that? If not then leave him be, he's an adult. If you think he made a mistake/was not properly advised send him a mail and proffer solutions stop making him feel less of a man in Public. Ya'll didn't ask him before he showed you all these.
Well Done OP, I wish you all the best.

To person I'm replying to, agree with you mostly.

First off, to OP...well done to the man that dares. Definite purpose has propelled you to act. Not just move your lips, or punch your keyboard....you did, and backed it up with money, time and effort. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I am fairly certain that you are not one that would cry in a board room because you feel a Chairman or owner has hurt your ego. I am also fairly confident, that you are not after validation from 90%+ of any given demographic or cesspool. If you are, then take this any which way, you are effed....which is why I think you will not be emasculated by opinions. Besides, I see no facial pictures or profile picture anywhere, are we now protecting the egos of handles, user names and user profiles. We don't know what is doing us yet!

All those getting emotional and religious...praying to God only gives you someone to blame when your halfhearted efforts fail. The fact that you may not have started that thing that you really would want to, is down to FEAR.

If you say it's MONEY, then by the same token, pray to God to allow you money. If you don't have it still, you are not praying hard enough, or Gaahd just don't want ish poppin for you!

Ever seen an investment show with tame VCs? They go hard and deep....like your red team. Tear it up. No room for UNNECESSARY sentiments in big business. Sure OP knows this.

I'm gna skip my point and maybe DM OP.

To those who speak, and cannot bet their lives on the accuracy of the information that they eschew, can STFU.

80% of global, English-speaking universities have online resources...they are mostly free to download.

When googling, dont use an African version...they omitt so much.

If we have 200m of 7bn, we are effing under achieving. FEAR is the biggest culprit, leading to self doubt, leading to inaction, leading to senseless invalid statements when others DO.

SMH LOL SMH LMAO all the way to the bank.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by samstels: 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:
You invested 7.5 Million in poultry? Am i seeing well? Why invest 7.5M in poultry bro?

What better investment would he had done
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 28, 2017
samstels:

What better investment would he had done

Its a fantastic business.. I worked in a poultry with over 50,000 birds...I can tell first hand that its a fantastic business.... i only made my comment too early...
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Herelefant(m): 5:28pm On Aug 28, 2017
*** replace 'eschew' with spout.

Also, apologies for poor sentence structure here and there...working on phone.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by benardj3(m): 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
OMEGA009:
Looking for a reliable egg distributor in Abuja or its environs
thats what I do bro......... u can call me for any qty of egg u want.......i supply jos egg 0805 578 3275

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by abuhari: 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
very interested. Wish you all the best.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
yomifowe:

Wonderful analysis. Thank you. I won't have said it better. My point exactly.

Great , you know what the OP did by investing this N7.5 million in the poultry business is just to

1. Create other income stream, if still under paid employment.

2.he has been able to create an avenue for the next 5-10 years depending on when he deems it to diversify by providing month feeding allowance for the household (monthly house allowance ----150,000x12=N1,800,000) and still be able to save from the business for future use.

But if he is very good in Risk management he will be able sail through without encountering high loses

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by crisycent: 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
takenadoh:
I went through the post and I think the major cost is that for birds which is about 5M out of the 7.smth and the other major one is for feeding,

People suggesting to Purchase DOC which OP would have had to wait for over 6 months to see first production. I guess he is trying to see returns more quickly and remember he can sell the birds as old layers between 2000 naira to 3k5 naira which should return the 7M back assuming minimum casualties.

Old/spent layers are sold for between 1200-1400 in the market. If market women sell at that amount, it means they bought for between 800-1000.

Honestly, the OP investment fear me.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Praktikals(m): 5:41pm On Aug 28, 2017
Kingbuhari:
you should have use the money play pool grin

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by 1kingwriter: 5:54pm On Aug 28, 2017
takenadoh:

Old layers to be sold for meat at 1100? Please where is that??

I have 500 for sale @ the above rate.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by bolethings: 6:01pm On Aug 28, 2017
And government keeps shouting agric? How can you have such money invested and no government backed insurance or so. Whats the difference between APC and PDP sef? All they know is propaganda.

With such investments their should be very serious policy in place and also ways to ensure you don't even have to risk it all because as it is now you have to keep feeding them and there's no going back. I thought layers should start dropping at 18 weeks.

Moreover they get tired after a year of laying.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by jidedavid: 6:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
lucrownt:
I'm impressed to see this on Nairaland, by the way you ought to have diversified your investment. God forbid bad thing, we are all aware that chickens are prone to several illnesses particularly flu. Did you know that with that 7.5m you can earn a Geometric Progression pattern income.. Let's say you invested 2m in poultry, 2m in cash crop farming, 2m in stocks/shares or treasury bills and 1.5m in fishing, then you have portfolio of investments in which a low risk in one investment will cover for the higher risk in another.. Though the higher the risk the higher the return..
God bless your hustle sir

There's nothing wrong in putting all your eggs in one basket, if you control the basket.... Elon musk

3 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by sunnysmile80: 6:14pm On Aug 28, 2017
Thank you for sharing this information, it is very helpful.

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Somoladjnr(m): 6:16pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sir, I must say u av really taken a bold step,
Cos I know what it takes to do this.
*Just try as much as possible nt to relent as u've started really well.
*Maintain high level of biosecurity.
*Pls do not be in a haste to change to layer mash until they achieve 5-10% production .
*Then if u must formulate ur ration as suggested, pls do a proximate analysis of ur ingredients and overall feeds, also do not feed all the birds with the formulated feeds at initial, u can divide them into treatments and compare their performance b4 taking final decision,as self feeds milling has shut down so many farms.
*Lastly, put in your best in maintaining the health n production status of your birds.
U can contact me if u need a competent hand cos I av good n vibrant poultry consultants in epe axis as well.
God will crown ur effort I pray ...
Cheers!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Konami94: 6:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
Very impressive. All the best bro
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by dotun365: 6:31pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

He can invest 7.5M but bad move for an investor, what of aside funds? A businessman that invests more than 80% of his earnings is a gambler...I hope he has set aside funds for his own sake
I think you fail to understand that we are not all equal. you don't know the OP and how much he's worth to be complaining for him about his investments being too much. I would love to see your own thread and how much you are investing. Please if you have time I would like to follow your thread to learn more about cheaper ways of investing in poultry.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by OMOJO7: 6:31pm On Aug 28, 2017
Great! You shall make it IJMN
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 28, 2017
dotun365:
I think you fail to understand that we are not all equal. you don't know the OP and how much he's worth to be complaining for him about his investments being too much. I would love to see your own thread and how much you are investing. Please if you have time I would like to follow your thread to learn more about cheaper ways of investing in poultry.

Thanks...There are cheaper ways which is my point of emphasis...you can't take it from the op, first making 7.5m in this country isn't a joke..i respect him.....What i mean is poultry is risky and new entrants should plan well before starting...God bless us all
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Unigrad: 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2017
Am so much interested in this poultry business, can someone enlighten me on how to go about it?
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by larrypourl(m): 6:39pm On Aug 28, 2017
takenadoh:
I went through the post and I think the major cost is that for birds which is about 5M out of the 7.smth and the other major one is for feeding,

People suggesting to Purchase DOC which OP would have had to wait for over 6 months to see first production. I guess he is trying to see returns more quickly and remember he can sell the birds as old layers between 2000 naira to 3k5 naira which should return the 7M back assuming minimum casualties.

You can't sell old layers for 2k bro talk less of 3k. If you really wanna sell them fast it has to be during Christmas and you sell to the market women within 1 - 1.2k who will then resell too. I'm giving u Lagos price. Who dare buys old layers for 2k?

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Bishop2ksp(m): 6:42pm On Aug 28, 2017
Well done
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by dotun365: 6:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

Thanks...There are cheaper ways which is my point of emphasis...you can't take it from the op, first making 7.5m in this country isn't a joke..i respect him.....What i mean is poultry is risky and new entrants should plan well before starting...God bless us all
Amen. being a rational human, I'm expecting he would get some consultation to throw in 7.5million except of course it's chicken change to him in that case it's just enough to test the waters with.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by takenadoh: 6:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
larrypourl:

You can't sell old layers for 2k bro talk less of 3k. If you really wanna sell them fast it has to be during Christmas and you sell to the market women within 1 - 1.2k who will then resell too. I'm giving u Lagos price. Who dare buys old layers for 2k?

Oh okay I am not in Lagos so things are a bit more expensive where I am based, somewhere down south, Broilers were recently sold for that price so just assumed old layers will sell for around that range, but ofcos not in bulk of about 1000 birds smth around 50.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by deji17: 6:55pm On Aug 28, 2017
Is it possible that the OP can double his investment within six months once the chicken starts to lay eggs consistently? If 70% of the 3500 chicken, lays egg on a daily basis @ N30 per egg : = 70% x 3500 x 180 days x N30 = N13.2 Million Naira.

This is not including resale value of the chicken at old layers stage..

4 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Bobbieydeey: 6:57pm On Aug 28, 2017
Do Shed more Light Biko . . . I Have That Amount currently
Nukualofa:
God bless you. I'm also looking at where the whole money is in that poultry. I'm not trying to hate but I'm discouraged about investing in that if i have to plough in such enormous capital.

My friend started with 400k for broilers and his ROI is mind boggling that I've sworn to join in that biz.

7.5million, mbanu
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 28, 2017
dotun365:
Amen. being a rational human, I'm expecting he would get some consultation to throw in 7.5million except of course it's chicken change to him in that case it's just enough to test the waters with.

That's true...poultry isn't for small guys so the op is obviously a big player...i'm sorry if it sounded like i disrespected him earlier...men if i don't have good sums to invest, i won't dream of it...

Respect to the op...More success and power to him

3 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Imoy(m): 7:00pm On Aug 28, 2017
lammie21:

you are spot on bro... I used close to 1.8m to construct a Layer Pen that could accommodate up to 2,000 layer birds including battery cage water nipple system...then bought 1,000 point of cage pullets at the rate of 900naira per one. Mind you bro, that was even before economic recession started. what about now that price of materials has increased. Poultry, especially Layer birds is very risky. I wish OP all the best...I've learnt my lessons tho.

it will be nice if u can share with us the lessons you learnt sir.

I am intending to start up this poultry business too, would appreciate any useful information u can share.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Photos Of Harvested Giant Size Cucumbers By YEN President, Benue State Chapter / Man Who Built Barn With 440 Yam Tubers Gets Chieftaincy Title (Photos) / How to Build A Grasscutter Cage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.