Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage (28257 Views)

My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It / Eight Top Causes Of Miscarriage You Need To Know / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility; A Leading Cause Of Miscarriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Pearllait(f): 7:14pm On Aug 27, 2017
SalamRushdie:
i have come across 5 cases and that Rhogam injection helped all of the after their initial miscarriages ...

EXACTLY..
The Rhogam injection does a wholelot but i am very certain that it's not as bad as the genotype thing where it is not advisable for an AS male to get married to an AS female.if precautions are properly taken, the patient is good to go
#FAITHINGOD
#RHOGAMINJECTION
#WENEEDOURMEDICALPRACTITIONERS
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by korday: 7:33pm On Aug 27, 2017
[quote author=ChelseaDr post=59879035]

I hope your wife received Rhogam after the miscarriage. Indirect Coombs test being negative means there is no antibodies detected and even when it is positive it does not mean the woman is sensitized already because there are a lot of things that could make indirect coombs test positive including sensitization.

no she didn't. but she is still in her 25 weeks. with what I have read we need a rogam . thanks arleast I know there are no anti bodies right now.

3 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Dahmayor(m): 7:47pm On Aug 27, 2017
sgtponzihater1:
Who u epp!, Nigerians doctors are d biggest problem in out health sector. Agreed by all quartets including Johesu.

you don't really have a point

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Dahmayor(m): 7:53pm On Aug 27, 2017
WhiteSoup:
I does not even knows how to understand what these OP have post here sad

As far has I have concerned anything miscarriage is from the village people. undecided

Oyibo people and confusion!

mister get some brain
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Dahmayor(m): 7:55pm On Aug 27, 2017
goslowgoslow:

U be real mumu! This is a very educative topic and you just type rubbish.

help me to tell that sick fellow
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by petitejolie(f): 8:00pm On Aug 27, 2017
oliviastacey:
Read carefully for better understanding.
Laura Ezinne Idika wrote:

Ifeoma got married in the year 2010,from that time till now she has been rocked with 10 heart breaking miscarriages. She blames the terrible experience on the witches in her village ,she doesn't know that she and the Nigerian dysfunctional system is the cause of her predicament .i will tell you how.

Have you ever heard of the word Rhesus factor?
Rh factor is a protein that can be present on the surface of the red-blood cell. People that have the Rh factor are Rh positive +, those who do not have the Rh factor are Rh negative-.

The + and - in front of the blood group is the rhesus factor. So we have A+,A-,O+,O-, B+,B-,AB+,AB-. Rhesus factor is genetic, it's gotten from the parents emphatically the man.
Now that we are clear on what Rh factor is Let's move further to why I said Ifeoma is the cause of her miscarriages .

if you are Rh positive eg(a+,b+,o+,ab+) you are safe, but if you are negative eg(a-,B-,AB-,O-) you not. If are a male Rh - u are safe, if you are a female u aren't. If you a rh- woman gets pregnant for a man who is rh- you are safe but if you get pregnant for a man who is Rh+ you aren't.
Most people are Rh positive only very few are negative, the possibility for a rh- woman to find a rh- man is slim.

Let's assume Ifeoma is rh- and during her school days she aborted a pregnancy, the man who got her pregnant is rh+,obviously her baby was rh+.
During abortion, the rh+ blood came in contact with her rh- blood. That was the beginning of her problem.

Once rh- comes in contact with an rh+,certain antibodies are activated. This antibodies are activated to stop anything they think is a threat from coming into the body. E.g a baby. A rh- woman with activated antibodies would keep having miscarriages ,d antibodies would keep fighting and taking off any foetus. The woman might end up childless and if not properly informed might think she is under a demonic oppression.
Women with activated antibodies are RH sensitized and once this antibodies are activated it can never be deactivated until the woman dies.

Antibodies are activated in a rh- woman by abortion, ectopic pregnancy,miscarriage and child birth.
During child birth of a rh- woman who got pregnant by a rh+ man ,children inherit their rhesus factor from d man so once the baby's rh+ comes in contact with the woman rh- during delivery the antibodies are immediately activated ,so after that particular child birth the woman would keep having miscarriages because the activated antibodies would as usual fight off any foreign body.

The antibodies can be stopped from being activated by administering an injection known as Rh Immunoglobulin to a negative woman .
The injection is administered 28wks into pregnancy, 72 hrs after delivery, after ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage or abortion. If it's not administered and the antibodies are activated, it would never be deactivated.

Because our dysfunctional system doesn't promote proper rhesus factor sensitization, Ifeoma is left helpless after one mistake.
Mothers tell your girls and sisters, a rh- girl must be extremely careful. Because of the very small number of rh- people ,it's extremely rare to find a rh- man. The possibility to get pregnant for a rh+ man is high. Once she gets pregnant for a positive man and rushes to have a quick abortion, she might have as well jeopardized her life.

Apart from this ,a woman with a negative rhesus factor has no problem. it can however be controlled with rh Immunoglobulin injection.
A rh- man or woman cannot receive blood donation from a rh+. it would lead to death as the blood would immediately clog and cake .
know your rhesus factor today.
'drops mic,sways hair and catwalks away'.

Laura Ezinne Idika from Obinna Onyekachi Mgbeahurike's wall
wait first. for we DAT are single nd avnt done any form of abortion. having d rhesus factor, DAT means we shud look out for men that have d rhesus factor too to avoid long stories ba? like o+ marries o+, a+ e t.c. ba? we shud stay away from men wit o-, b- e.t.c. ba?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Alice07: 8:01pm On Aug 27, 2017
If a Rh– woman commits an abortion for a Rh+ man and the antibodies are activated in her system, the woman might end up childless throughout her life except if she later marries another man with with the same Rh–. The possibility of a Rh– woman finding a Rh– man is slim as about 85% of human beings are Rh+. [b]This is a warning to our young girls who commits abortions all in the name of boyfriend-girlfriend relationships.

Op, pls get your facts right on this topic and don't cause people to panic. If you have been sensitized and you didn't know and the antibodies activated in your blood, once you get pregnant again, you will most likely lose the child but after the loss, Rhogam-D can be taken to deactivate them and you can have a healthy baby later with repeated doses of the injection at 28wks of pregnancy and within 72hrs after delivery. Ewo ni ti "end up childless for the rest of your life" �

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by wolextayo: 8:09pm On Aug 27, 2017
baike:
biology students please come

there is question for you

from lala
Stop making this mistake all the time. Biology students only know few to nothing compared to medical students. A medical lab student will answer you better. This is a part of haematology, it's called erythroblastosis foetalis

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Scholar212(m): 8:10pm On Aug 27, 2017
Pilot4Airbus:
How do we figure if our partners are Rh-

So someone needs HIV genotype n Rhesus factor test before marriage undecided

Someone should tell me something.
when you do your blood group test, usually rhesus is included with it. That is why you see A+ or A-. The plus and minus signs indicates either rhesus positive or negative (Rhesus D antigen )

2 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Ebookmathswaec: 8:11pm On Aug 27, 2017
Alice07:

If a Rh– woman commits an abortion for a Rh+ man and the antibodies are activated in her system, the woman might end up childless throughout her life except if she later marries another man with with the same Rh–. The possibility of a Rh– woman finding a Rh– man is slim as about 85% of human beings are Rh+. [b]This is a warning to our young girls who commits abortions all in the name of boyfriend-girlfriend relationships.

Op, pls get your facts right on this topic and don't cause people to panic. If you have been sensitized and you didn't know and the antibodies activated in your blood, once you get pregnant again, you will most likely lose the child but after the loss, Rhogam-D can be taken to deactivate them and you can have a healthy baby later with repeated doses of the injection at 28wks of pregnancy and within 72hrs after delivery. Ewo ni ti "end up childless for the rest of your life" �

Check this from a Doctor especially the bolded:

KunkAcid:

Transfusion of Rh + blood to a Rh - patient is absolutely outside the protocol of Blood transfusion medicine. Even the WHO upholds this.

Rh + blood MUST NEVER be indicated for a Rh - patient regardless of the emergency situation sir.

In the case of a female patient, this would be very devastating. If she survives the TR, she will never be able to have children if she has not hit menopause. Because, she has been sensitized in vivo. Any child conceive will suffer HDN.

However, if the patient is a Rh - post menopausal female and in critical need of transfusion, haven exhausted all options to get Rh - blood, Rh + blood may be given with loads of TR suppressants.

This is not an ideal practice but may be done in a daring emergency situation with the effect clearly explained to family relative(s) who will sign the consent form.

Cheers!
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Scholar212(m): 8:19pm On Aug 27, 2017
korday:
hi op.
God bless you for the write up. my wife is rh-. she once had miscarriage before now. we were advised to go for indirect coombs test.bwhich came out negative and you know Nigerian hospital and their time wasting tactics. I want to understand the negative outcome. does it means she hasn't develop antibodies or she has already. or does it mean the child is rh-. according to tour right up of a father is rh-+ then the child have to be rH+. please enlighten me a bit more. the doctor in charge of her case have refused to pick call since last week.
thank you in advance
if the ICT result came out negative it means your wife did not develop any antibodies including Rhesus that is of high level to cause any attack to maybe a foetus or any foreign body. Other investigations have to be done to ascertain cause of her miscarriage, if the doctor is not picking up, go to the hospital and allow another doctor handle the case .

And if a father is Rhesus tve and the mother Rhesus -ve the child can be rhesus positive or negative. You can't just conclude all rhesus positive male and negative female will have a rhesus positive child, it doesn't work that way

2 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by doyinbaby(f): 8:22pm On Aug 27, 2017
[quote author=sgtponzihater1 post=59879438]

A
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Tobycharles: 8:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

NARD is going on indefinite strike for nothing and u feel u are wise wanting to earn more than other graduates who also have a Bachelor's degree like u. Who u epp?
Misplaced priority for a mistakened identity

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by okedoyinolabisi(f): 8:28pm On Aug 27, 2017
what if a rh+ woman is impregnated by rh- man, any qualms?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ibnzubair(m): 8:31pm On Aug 27, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

In order to prevent the activation of the antibodies, doctors would give women in this category an injection called Rhogam during and after pregnancy to prevent spontaneous abortion due to Rhesus factor incompatibility. The injection is normally administered 28 weeks into pregnancy, 72 hours after delivery, after ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage or abortion. If the injection is not administered and the antibodies are activated, they would never be deactivated again!

With this, I believe Rhesus incompatibility shouldn't really be an issue

2 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Scholar212(m): 8:38pm On Aug 27, 2017
petitejolie:

wait first. for we DAT are single nd avnt done any form of abortion. having d rhesus factor, DAT means we shud look out for men that have d rhesus factor too to avoid long stories ba? like o+ marries o+, a+ e t.c. ba? we shud stay away from men wit o-, b- e.t.c. ba?

Lol please don't go and end your relationship because of rhesus incompatibility, it is not a problem, only one shot of an injection solves it. The real deal for us Africans is still haemoglobin genotype (AS/AS) marriage which is not advisable no matter how blind your love is

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Scholar212(m): 8:48pm On Aug 27, 2017
okedoyinolabisi:
what if a rh+ woman is impregnated by rh- man, any qualms?
you are all clear for take off and landing. Of course antenatal is a must, rhesus is an insignificant portion of pregnancy and childbirth
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by sexyboocalher(f): 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
What test can be carried out inorder to know if one is negative or positive?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by 1stdammy: 8:53pm On Aug 27, 2017
I have only one question to ask please, How much does the injection (Rohgam) cost nowadays
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Theorytor: 9:07pm On Aug 27, 2017
Am glad this post was shared. I got to know all this when my wife was pregnant with our first child. I think we are now waking up from our slumber in Africa. I have read 2 post from Nairaland that had really helped me gain more experience. Not some junk news all in the name of trying to drive traffic... Rhogam goes for abt 18k when i got it back then. God bless the OP

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by tk4rd: 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2017
Ok..
Another cause is......
"YOUR VILLAGE PEOPLE".!!
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by rollykotex: 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2017
drpompay:
Interesting, but OP some of the information u gave are obviously wrong
1) that the father is Rh + does not mean d child must be Rh +. Don't forget that the genetic makeup could be +/- or +/+, hence we advice that the rhesus status of d father and child be checked esp at birth b4 giving Rhogam
2) Miscarriage is one of d least complications of Rh isoimmunization, the common ones are jaundice, kernicterus, Erthroblastosis fetalis and hydrops.
3) Rh isoimmunization is hardly complicated by recurrent miscarriages
4) the common causes of recurrent miscarriages are
Genetic factors
Chromosomal anomalies
Cervical incompetence
Uterine anomaly
Luteal phase deficiency
Drug misuse/abuse
Diabetes
PCOS
Antiphospholipid syndrome
Connective tissue diseases etc

Plz though Rhesus isoimmunization is a big problem, its complications are preventable and treatable, and it is very uncommon among blacks. Use of Rhogam is to prevent it and IT HARDLY CAUSES RECURRENT MISCARRIAGES
Hello sir,are you a Dr?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by joe4christ(m): 9:15pm On Aug 27, 2017
But my Dad was B- and my mum O+ and they gave birth to 6 healthy kids and no miscarriage at all

And I happen to be B negative too.

Something is not adding up jor

I suspect the OP is just trying hard to pass out a message through fear factor, cos I can smell a religious undertone to these bullsh:t. I ain't a doctor, but I know these is not an absolute truth in all ramifications
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by tonee45: 9:23pm On Aug 27, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:
Rhesus Factor is an antigen that exists on the surface of red blood cells in most people (about 85% of humans). It is also referred to as Rh Factor. People who have the Rh factor have “positive” (+) blood types, such as A+, O+ or B+ while those who do not have the Rh factor have “negative” (-) blood types, such as A–, O– or AB– . The “+” and “-” in front of the blood group is the Rhesus factor. Generally, we have A+, A–, B+, B–, AB+, AB–, O+ and O–. Rhesus factor is genetic in nature. It is inherited from the parents, emphatically the father.

How does Rhesus Factor cause miscarriage?

If a Rh– woman is impregnated by a man with Rh–, there wouldn’t be any problem. However, if a Rh– woman is impregnated by a man with Rh+, there would be a problem. We have here what is medically called Rhesus Factor Incompatibility. The baby would obviously be Rh+. During child birth, baby inherits their Rh+ from the father. Once the baby’s Rh+ comes in contact with the woman Rh- during delivery, the antibodies are immediately activated by the woman’s body’s immune system.

The activated antibodies would see the new Rh+ as foreign body or a threat and consequently they would be at alert to attack and get rid of the foreign body. Unfortunately as such, after this particular child birth, the woman would keep having miscarriages because the activated antibodies would see subsequent Rh+ pregnancies as foreign bodies and would keep fighting and taking them off.

Women with Rh activated antibodies are said to be Rh sensitized and once these antibodies are activated , they can never be deactivated until the woman dies. Rh induced antibodies are activated in a Rh- woman by child birth, abortion, miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy.

If a Rh– woman commits an abortion for a Rh+ man and the antibodies are activated in her system, the woman might end up childless throughout her life except if she later marries another man with with the same Rh–. The possibility of a Rh– woman finding a Rh– man is slim as about 85% of human beings are Rh+. This is a warning to our young girls who commits abortions all in the name of boyfriend-girlfriend relationships.

If you’re a woman with Rh– and your fiance is Rh+, and you haven’t committed abortion for him and you don’t want to leave him, then, you need to take note of the following:

In order to prevent the activation of the antibodies, doctors would give women in this category an injection called Rhogam during and after pregnancy to prevent spontaneous abortion due to Rhesus factor incompatibility. The injection is normally administered 28 weeks into pregnancy, 72 hours after delivery, after ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage or abortion. If the injection is not administered and the antibodies are activated, they would never be deactivated again!

In many African cultures up till today, women who are so unfortunate to find themselves having serial spontaneous abortions due to Rhesus factor incompatibility are considered witches by some of their people. Some of the women would accuse their in-laws of being behind their predicament.

So, if you’re a woman with Rh– , you need to be very careful. It might be difficult for you to get a husband with a Rh– because about 85% of human beings are Rh+. So, in order not to find yourself in the aforementioned problem, put all that have been said at the back of your mind and go for genetic counselling. If you have a daughter or a sister with Rh–, counsel them on Rhesus Factor Incompatibility and the dangers lying therein.

It should also be noted that a Rh– person(man or woman) cannot receive blood donation from a Rh+ person even if they have the same blood group. The consequence of such blood transfusion is fatal. It would lead to death as the blood would clot. This is due to the incompatibility in their Rhesus factor.

Know your Rhesus factor today!
www.edmaths.com

So what if an Rh+ woman gets pregnant and abort for an Rh- man.....?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Scholar212(m): 9:36pm On Aug 27, 2017
joe4christ:
But my Dad was B- and my mum O+ and they gave birth to 6 healthy kids and no miscarriage at all

And I happen to be B negative too.

Something is not adding up jor
your Dad is RHESUS NEGATIVE , only when the father is positive not mother that the child may be affected

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Scholar212(m): 9:38pm On Aug 27, 2017
rollykotex:

Hello sir,are you a Dr?
No he is a plumber grin with the Dr attached to d name and plenty medical explanation you want him to upload his license first Abi. Lol

3 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by aoyih(m): 9:53pm On Aug 27, 2017
WhiteSoup:
I does not even knows how to understand what these OP have post here sad

As far has I have concerned anything miscarriage is from the village people. undecided

Oyibo people and confusion!
Bros no kill me with laff o...lwkmdfh...
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Onorie(f): 9:55pm On Aug 27, 2017
ChelseaDr:

I hope your wife received Rhogam after the miscarriage. Indirect Coombs test being negative means there is no antibodies detected and even when it is positive it does not mean the woman is sensitized already because there are a lot of things that could make indirect coombs test positive including sensitization.

For more info, check out this:
https://www.nairaland.com/2429829/rhesus-negative-blood-group-pregnancy

Please ChelseaDr. what if the woman Rh+ and the man is Rh-, does it also lead to the aforementioned?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 27, 2017
Alice07:

My dear your post makes a difference, but how sure are you tho? Are you a doctor?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 10:09pm On Aug 27, 2017
Onorie:

Please ChelseaDr. what if the woman Rh+ and the man is Rh-, does it also lead to the aforementioned?

No no not at all, it only applies to women who are negative getting pregnant for men who are positive not the other way round.
Cheers!!

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Alice07: 10:12pm On Aug 27, 2017
Kennie21:
My dear your post makes a difference, but how sure are you tho? Are you a doctor?
That is because I have met someone who's negative, lost the first pregnancy, didn't take the rhogam after the loss, lost a second one and it was discovered that she was negative after the loss of the second and was administered rhogam within 72hrs after evacuation. She has surviving children now

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Alice07: 10:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
It is just unfortunate that many people don't have access to the injection when it's needed. Where can rhogam be bought at affordable price?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Doctors Begin Indefinite Sit-At-Home Strike To Protest Police Harassment / Sad: Woman Placed On Oxygen At General Hospital Dies After Nepa Took Light / Can A Virgin Girl See Her Period ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.