Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage (28240 Views)

My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It / Eight Top Causes Of Miscarriage You Need To Know / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility; A Leading Cause Of Miscarriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 10:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
Alice07:
That is because I have met someone who's negative, lost the first pregnancy, didn't take the rhogam after the loss, lost a second one and it was discovered that she was negative after the loss of the second and was administered rhogam within 72hrs after evacuation. She has surviving children now
was it that the second one was O negative? What if her Husband is O negative too?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by petitejolie(f): 10:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
Scholar212:

Lol please don't go and end your relationship because of rhesus incompatibility, it is not a problem, only one shot of an injection solves it. The real deal for us Africans is still haemoglobin genotype (AS/AS) marriage which is not advisable no matter how blind your love is
injection ke? me I dey fear injection o. I don't mind o I'll end it o. I can't fit shout. its beta I know all dis now nd nip it in d bud o. anyway d person I'm tripping for has d rhesus factor like me so let me trip very well now before dey come nd collect him from me.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by maasoap(m): 10:21pm On Aug 27, 2017
Pilot4Airbus:
How do we figure if our partners are Rh-

So someone needs HIV genotype n Rhesus factor test before marriage undecided

Someone should tell me something.
I would say yes but many people don't bother to do tests on these two. I witnessed this case in 2014 at one hospital. The woman was just having miscarriages after she had given birth to one daughter already. Her husband was so fed up that he didn't want to hospital bills for that last miscarriage treatment. I knew what was happening but how do I put mouth for what didn't concern me?

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Alice07: 10:22pm On Aug 27, 2017
Kennie21:
was it that the second one was O negative? What if her Husband is O negative too?
if her husband were to be negative and she's negative, she won't need it. If she's positive and husband is negative, she won't need it still but she's negative and her husband is positive and there's every tendency that the child will be positive so, she needs it for preventive measures.

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by repogirl(f): 10:25pm On Aug 27, 2017
Thanks OP, been trying to understand this fo a while now.

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ademide0710: 10:33pm On Aug 27, 2017
Alice07:
It is just unfortunate that many people don't have access to the injection when it's needed. Where can rhogam be bought at affordable price?

It's can be found in pharmacies and it's goes for 26k for now. That's was d amount i got it last.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Alice07: 10:35pm On Aug 27, 2017
ademide0710:

It's can be found in pharmacies and it's goes for 26k for now. That's was d amount i got it last.
where?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 27, 2017
Alice07:
if her husband were to be negative and she's negative, she won't need it. If she's positive and husband is negative, she won't need it still but she's negative and her husband is positive and there's every tendency that the child will be positive so, she needs it for preventive measures.
wow God was on her side oo! How come the poster now said that if the negative woman doesn't get the shot after the loss, that the woman won't have any children. Na wa undecided
Alice07:
wow God was on her side oo! How come the poster now said that if the negative woman doesn't get the shot after the loss, that the woman won't have any children. Na wa
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ademide0710: 10:41pm On Aug 27, 2017
Alice07:
where?
At available at big pharmacies nationwide, I got mine at Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Alice07: 10:49pm On Aug 27, 2017
Kennie21:
wow God was on her side oo! How come the poster now said that if the negative woman doesn't get the shot after the loss, that the woman won't have any children. Na wa undecided wow God was on her side oo! How come the poster now said that if the negative woman doesn't get the shot after the loss, that the woman won't have any children. Na wa
are you minding her or him? That's how they will be confusing people upandan
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 11:30pm On Aug 27, 2017
Alice07:

If a Rh– woman commits an abortion for a Rh+ man and the antibodies are activated in her system, the woman might end up childless throughout her life except if she later marries another man with with the same Rh–. The possibility of a Rh– woman finding a Rh– man is slim as about 85% of human beings are Rh+. [b]This is a warning to our young girls who commits abortions all in the name of boyfriend-girlfriend relationships.

Op, pls get your facts right on this topic and don't cause people to panic. If you have been sensitized and you didn't know and the antibodies activated in your blood, once you get pregnant again, you will most likely lose the child but after the loss, Rhogam-D can be taken to deactivate them and you can have a healthy baby later with repeated doses of the injection at 28wks of pregnancy and within 72hrs after delivery. Ewo ni ti "end up childless for the rest of your life" �

I think we should get this fact right... Rhogam has no role or benefit in a woman who has been sensitized already.

Rhogam is an antibody given to the rhesus negative woman during pregnancy or after birth or outside pregnancy after being transfused with rhesus positive blood (rarely anyway) in order to mop up the rhesus factor circulating within the woman's blood before they are being recognized as foreign and antibodies produced against them.

If a woman is sensitized, then it means her body has already formed antibodies waiting for the incoming rhesus positive baby to attack, hence rhogam (which is an antibody) cannot fight the already formed antibody because they are similar and cannot antagonize each other. Rhogam only attacks antigens (rhesus factors).

Therefore if she is sensitized, then she does not need rhogam.
Cheers!!

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 11:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
[quote author=korday post=59880977][/quote]

It's not yet uhuru, don't relax yet, the indirect coombs test will have to be repeated monthly because there is still chance of her getting sensitized. There may be need for rhogam at 28 weeks and after birth, so get ready because the drug is expensive.
Cheers!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by MademoiselleMiel(f): 11:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
The amount of knowledge I've gained on this thread is unauantifiable.

Please I'd have a few questions to ask the doctors in the house;

I'm O- while my husband is O+. I lost my first pregnancy with him under some not too palatable circumstance. Now, I'm carrying another baby which is around 30 weeks old. My questions are;

1- How do I ascertain if the antibody has also been secreted in me as a result of my first pregnancy loss?

2- Let's say it has been secreted, what do I do to be sure that this baby I'm carrying wouldn't be hurt. Although she's very fine at the moment. Scan has revealed that it's gonna be a girl and that she's in a perfect state.

3- Let's assume my body didn't secret the antibody that time, will there still be any need for the injection?

PS: Do not blame me for asking too many questions, ever since I read all these I've not been able to swallow ordinary water very well.

Cc
ChelseaDr.
Scholar212
Maasoap
Alice07
Other Docs in the house.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Albedo27(m): 11:42pm On Aug 27, 2017
What if they are both Rh+?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Ebookmathswaec: 12:16am On Aug 28, 2017
MademoiselleMiel:

I'm O- while my husband is O+. I lost my first pregnancy with him under some not too palatable circumstance. Now, I'm carrying another baby which is around 30 weeks old. My questions are;

1- How do I ascertain if the antibody has also been secreted in me as a result of my first pregnancy loss?

2- Let's say it has been secreted, what do I do to be sure that this baby I'm carrying wouldn't be hurt. Although she's very fine at the moment. Scan has revealed that it's gonna be a girl and that she's in a perfect state.

3- Let's assume my body didn't secret the antibody that time, will there still be any need for the injection?

PS: Do not blame me for asking too many questions, ever since I read all these I've not been able to swallow ordinary water very well.

Cc
ChelseaDr.
Scholar212
Maasoap
Alice07
Other Docs in the house.

Eeya! So sorry for the loss of your first pregnancy. I know our able doctors in the house will come and answer your questions.

However, relax your mind ooo, please! Don't panic! All will be well by God's grace. I would want to advise you to explain everything to your Doctor(s) especially your Rhesus status and that of your husband and your first miscarriage. They are in better position to handle the situation.

Things will be alright by God's special grace. Amen.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Ebookmathswaec: 12:19am On Aug 28, 2017
ChelseaDr:

It's not yet uhuru, don't relax yet, the indirect coombs test will have to be repeated monthly because there is still chance of her getting sensitized. There may be need for rhogam at 28 weeks and after birth, so get ready because the drug is expensive.
Cheers!!
ChelseaDr:

I think we should get this fact right... Rhogam has no role or benefit in a woman who has been sensitized already.

Rhogam is an antibody given to the rhesus negative woman during pregnancy or after birth or outside pregnancy after being transfused with rhesus positive blood (rarely anyway) in order to mop up the rhesus factor circulating within the woman's blood before they are being recognized as foreign and antibodies produced against them.

If a woman is sensitized, then it means her body has already formed antibodies waiting for the incoming rhesus positive baby to attack, hence rhogam (which is an antibody) cannot fight the already formed antibody because they are similar and cannot antagonize each other. Rhogam only attacks antigens (rhesus factors).

Cheers!!

God bless you Doctor for your wonderful contributions!
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Ebookmathswaec: 12:36am On Aug 28, 2017
Albedo27:
What if they are both Rh+?

No problem at all.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 12:49am On Aug 28, 2017
ChelseaDr:

Cheers!!
but she said the woman is O negative, had a miscarriage didn't get the injection, lost another one, got the injection and is able to have other children
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 2:33am On Aug 28, 2017
MademoiselleMiel:

2- Let's say it has been secreted, what do I do to be sure that this baby I'm carrying wouldn't be hurt. Although she's very fine at the moment. Scan has

revealed that it's gonna be a girl and that she's in a perfect state.

Cc
ChelseaDr.
Scholar212
Maasoap
Alice07
Other Docs in the house.

Don't worry after this contribution you should be able to swallow not just water but full blown "eba" (on a lighter note).
N/B: You should have had Rhogam injection after the miscarriage if you had visited the hospital with doctors that understand the implications of rhesus negative prenancy.
Now to your questions.....

Q1:
To ascertain if the antibody had been secreted you should have registered for antenatal in a health facility with doctors who have knowledge about rhesus negative pregnancy. They will conduct a simple blood test called indirect coombs test. If the test is positive then, they will conduct other tests to confirm.

At 30 weeks it is still not late to do although scan has shown that the baby is OK, but you can still go start antenatal for further care if you have not started but if you have remind the doctors about the test.

Q2:
If the antibody had been secreted, then all you need is surveillance for the baby which scanning is a component, go for antenatal if you've not started.

Q3:
YES! If your body did not secrete the antibody, and you are rhesus negative, you will definitely need the injection after your baby is born, unless if her blood group is also rhesus negative.

ENJOY YOUR "EBA" JARE!!!
cheers!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 2:38am On Aug 28, 2017
Kennie21:
but she said the woman is O negative, had a miscarriage didn't get the injection, lost another one, got the injection and is able to have other children

Yes, that someone is sensitized does not mean that she cannot carry pregnancies to viability and even to term. It all depends on the quantity of antibodies present.

If the antibodies present are not too much then all the pregnancy needs is monitoring with intervention only when things change, otherwise it should be allowed to continue till nine months (or 34-38 weeks) and delivered.

Yes if someone is sensitized then rhogam has no benefit any longer.
Cheers!!

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 2:40am On Aug 28, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

We give God all the glory my brother. Cheers!!

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 2:40am On Aug 28, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

We give God all the glory my brother. Cheers!!

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Albedo27(m): 4:57am On Aug 28, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

No problem at all.
Thanks so much and God bless

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by daybam01: 6:26am On Aug 28, 2017
Bro, i tried reaching u personally to make a contribution towards ur post but couldn't. The fact is rhesus isoimmunization doesn't cause miscarriages, u can read about causes of miscarriages and it isn't one.... I don't mean any disrespect but it's the fact

2 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by drpompay(m): 6:57am On Aug 28, 2017
[quote author=rollykotex post=59883577]
Hello sir,are you a Dr?

Yes
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by drpompay(m): 7:05am On Aug 28, 2017
MademoiselleMiel:

Cc
ChelseaDr.
Scholar212
Maasoap
Alice07
Other Docs in the house.

Plz rhesus isoimmunization hardly cause miscarriages as stated in d post. I put up a reply on this post to correct the wrong impression.
Also it is not so common among blacks, however during ur next pregnancy a Rhesus antibody titre can be done for u and if negative u should have rhogam during and/or immediately after the pregnancy.
For prevention of recurrent miscarriage see a gynaecologist asap and see my post in the health section for possible causes of miscarriages.
All d best.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 28, 2017
ChelseaDr:

Yes, that someone is sensitized does not mean that she cannot carry pregnancies to viability and even to term. It all depends on the quantity of antibodies present.

If the antibodies present are not too much then all the pregnancy needs is monitoring with intervention only when things change, otherwise it should be allowed to continue till nine months (or 34-38 weeks) and delivered.

Yes if someone is sensitized then rhogam has no benefit any longer.
Cheers!!
but the drug is still beneficial when the woman has a miscarriage? After which she can have children normally right?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Ebookmathswaec: 7:09am On Aug 28, 2017
daybam01:
Bro, i tried reaching u personally to make a contribution towards ur post but couldn't. The fact is rhesus isoimmunization doesn't cause miscarriages, u can read about causes of miscarriages and it isn't one.... I don't mean any disrespect but it's the fact

But Sir, one of the causes of miscarriage is Immune system responses. Don't you think rhesus isoimmunization comes under Immune system responses?

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by warmachine(m): 7:13am On Aug 28, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:
Rhesus Factor is an antigen that exists on the surface of red blood cells in most people (about 85% of humans). It is also referred to as Rh Factor. People who have the Rh factor have “positive” (+) blood types, such as A+, O+ or B+ while those who do not have the Rh factor have “negative” (-) blood types, such as A–, O– or AB– . The “+” and “-” in front of the blood group is the Rhesus factor. Generally, we have A+, A–, B+, B–, AB+, AB–, O+ and O–. Rhesus factor is genetic in nature. It is inherited from the parents, emphatically the father.

How does Rhesus Factor cause miscarriage?

If a Rh– woman is impregnated by a man with Rh–, there wouldn’t be any problem. However, if a Rh– woman is impregnated by a man with Rh+, there would be a problem. We have here what is medically called Rhesus Factor Incompatibility. The baby would obviously be Rh+. During child birth, baby inherits their Rh+ from the father. Once the baby’s Rh+ comes in contact with the woman Rh- during delivery, the antibodies are immediately activated by the woman’s body’s immune system.

The activated antibodies would see the new Rh+ as foreign body or a threat and consequently they would be at alert to attack and get rid of the foreign body. Unfortunately as such, after this particular child birth, the woman would keep having miscarriages because the activated antibodies would see subsequent Rh+ pregnancies as foreign bodies and would keep fighting and taking them off.

Women with Rh activated antibodies are said to be Rh sensitized and once these antibodies are activated , they can never be deactivated until the woman dies. Rh induced antibodies are activated in a Rh- woman by child birth, abortion, miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy.

If a Rh– woman commits an abortion for a Rh+ man and the antibodies are activated in her system, the woman might end up childless throughout her life except if she later marries another man with with the same Rh–. The possibility of a Rh– woman finding a Rh– man is slim as about 85% of human beings are Rh+. This is a warning to our young girls who commits abortions all in the name of boyfriend-girlfriend relationships.

If you’re a woman with Rh– and your fiance is Rh+, and you haven’t committed abortion for him and you don’t want to leave him, then, you need to take note of the following:

In order to prevent the activation of the antibodies, doctors would give women in this category an injection called Rhogam during and after pregnancy to prevent spontaneous abortion due to Rhesus factor incompatibility. The injection is normally administered 28 weeks into pregnancy, 72 hours after delivery, after ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage or abortion. If the injection is not administered and the antibodies are activated, they would never be deactivated again!

In many African cultures up till today, women who are so unfortunate to find themselves having serial spontaneous abortions due to Rhesus factor incompatibility are considered witches by some of their people. Some of the women would accuse their in-laws of being behind their predicament.

So, if you’re a woman with Rh– , you need to be very careful. It might be difficult for you to get a husband with a Rh– because about 85% of human beings are Rh+. So, in order not to find yourself in the aforementioned problem, put all that have been said at the back of your mind and go for genetic counselling. If you have a daughter or a sister with Rh–, counsel them on Rhesus Factor Incompatibility and the dangers lying therein.

It should also be noted that a Rh– person(man or woman) cannot receive blood donation from a Rh+ person even if they have the same blood group. The consequence of such blood transfusion is fatal. It would lead to death as the blood would clot. This is due to the incompatibility in their Rhesus factor.

Know your Rhesus factor today!
www.edmaths.com

I am rhesus negative and got it from my mom....its not always inherited from the dad biko...op take note

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 28, 2017
petitejolie:

injection ke? me I dey fear injection o. I don't mind o I'll end it o. I can't fit shout. its beta I know all dis now nd nip it in d bud o. anyway d person I'm tripping for has d rhesus factor like me so let me trip very well now before dey come nd collect him from me.

When you never ready to born you go fear injection but when the time reach you go see injection like nothing.
First appointment they don draw blood run all tests in the medical book.
Another appointment they will check for anemia (this one will be more than 3 times in 9 months)
Plus TT vaccine ( my sister said hers was 5 times) i took only once
Later take blood for this and that and you will get so sick that you will just be going for antenatal with the mindset that one nurse will come with needle....

2 times rhogam shot na the least of your injection problem
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by daybam01: 7:45am On Aug 28, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

But Sir, one of the causes of miscarriage is Immune system responses. Don't you think rhesus isoimmunization comes under Immune system responses?

That's where antiphospholipid antibodies come to play..... It won't hurt if u just read it up and do an update about rhesus isoimmunization and miscarriages.

U will be surprised, i used to think it was a cause of miscarriage until i was proven wrong...... There is no harm in learning new things..... That's what medicine is all about

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 7:57am On Aug 28, 2017
Kennie21:
but the drug is still beneficial when the woman has a miscarriage? After which she can have children normally right?

If someone has been sensitized the drug has no added benefit whether it is after miscarriage (post sensitization) or after normal delivery. Rhesus incompatibility is not a very common cause of miscarriage as drpompay pointed out.
Cheers!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sad: Woman Placed On Oxygen At General Hospital Dies After Nepa Took Light / Can A Virgin Girl See Her Period ? / ‘next Time, Let Me Die’ - Man To Guy Who Gave Him Mouth To Mouth Resuscitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.