Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,780 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage (28239 Views)

My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It / Eight Top Causes Of Miscarriage You Need To Know / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility; A Leading Cause Of Miscarriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 6:25pm On Aug 27, 2017
korday:
hi op.
God bless you for the write up. my wife is rh-. she once had miscarriage before now. we were advised to go for indirect coombs test.bwhich came out negative and you know Nigerian hospital and their time wasting tactics. I want to understand the negative outcome. does it means she hasn't develop antibodies or she has already. or does it mean the child is rh-. according to tour right up of a father is rh-+ then the child have to be rH+. please enlighten me a bit more. the doctor in charge of her case have refused to pick call since last week.
thank you in advance

I hope your wife received Rhogam after the miscarriage. Indirect Coombs test being negative means there is no antibodies detected and even when it is positive it does not mean the woman is sensitized already because there are a lot of things that could make indirect coombs test positive including sensitization.

For more info, check out this:
https://www.nairaland.com/2429829/rhesus-negative-blood-group-pregnancy

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Ebookmathswaec: 6:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
ChelseaDr:
Thanks Op for this educative piece.
Let me however make this clarification. A child born to a rhesus negative mother and whose father is rhesus positive must not be rhesus positive as the op pointed out. The child may either be rhesus positive (like the father) or rhesus negative (like the mother).

Again, a rhesus negative woman can actually receive blood from a rhesus positive donor without the compatibility issues that will lead to maternal death as the Op posited. The only thing is to weigh the risk between saving the woman's life or allow her become sensitized. So the fear is for the future pregnancies not on the woman.

However, even in a setting of sensitization, the foetus can be monitored closely and many have been salvaged without dire consequences.
https://www.nairaland.com/2429829/rhesus-negative-blood-group-pregnancy

cheers!

Thanks so much for the clarification Sir. The OP is not a Doctor. grin
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by eyinjuege: 6:28pm On Aug 27, 2017
There's a reason we have rhogam injections for rhesus negative women.
Whether after a first miscarriage/abortion, bleeding while pregnant/ or even after delivery, you give rhogam.
In this day and age, the emphasis shouldn't be on rhesus affecting the choice of a life partner, but on letting all rh negative women know about the rhogam injections and when to have it
Firstly, everyone has to know their blood group.

5 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by SirMazi: 6:30pm On Aug 27, 2017
sgtponzihater1:
Who u epp!, Nigerians doctors are d biggest problem in out health sector. Agreed by all quartets including Johesu.
You know next to nothing,other than MMM issues #smh
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Aquariann: 6:30pm On Aug 27, 2017
In addition, as a Rh- girl, please never think of an abortion if you happen to get pregnant out of wedlock. You'll never have a child again. (Caveat: Unless you find a Rh- man to marry).

And if and when you do keep the pregnancy (this include Rh- married women), a CS is the best (or rather only) option if you intend to have other kids in the future.

Mehn, I love Biochemistry

2 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
grin shocked grin

I'd like to commend your effort in writing such a lengthy and educative post.

You also were very plain in your discuss, making it easy for most people to comprehend.

However, the post lacked medical depth and specificity.

NB: Your discuss on Rhesus (Rh) factor is without specificity as to which of the Rhesus factors.

There are 5 Rhesus factors amongst over 50 which are important to us. They are;
1. Rh D
2. Rh C
3. Rh c
4. Rh E
5. Rh e

Op, I believe the very Rhesus factor you have discussed is Rhesus factor D (Rh 'D').

Secondly, inheritance of the Rhesus factor is not solely from the father. The offspring can inherit it from either parents whether (+) or (-)

Take note and cheers!

5 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Aquariann: 6:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
eyinjuege:
There's a reason we have rhogam injections for rhesus negative women.
Whether after a first miscarriage/abortion, bleeding while pregnant/ or even after delivery, you give rhogam.
In this day and age, the emphasis shouldn't be on rhesus affecting the choice of a life partner, but on letting all rh negative women know about the ehogam injections and when to have it
Firstly, everyone has to know their blood group.

Scratches head.. I forgot this otpion.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by rottennaija(m): 6:33pm On Aug 27, 2017
dominique:
For better understanding

@op, I am B-

Which means my Rh is - ve. I hope you understand. grin

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by hamzeiy: 6:34pm On Aug 27, 2017
happney65:
Could remember a Family Friend.A good family friend..Always had stillborn for years..That was when i knew about this RH and RH whatever..I really pitied the wife..I could not count the total number of still births she had..It was frustrating and touching..This led to both husband and wife separating after a while..Wife later died not too long ago..Nearly cried when i knew she passed away..May she rest in peace..I do not wish for any sort of infertility issue for even my enemy that is if i have one sef..
really..its unfortunate but they suffered due to ignorance. after d first child the mother aught to go for an antigen injection .i cant remember its name but today medicine has rendered rhesus factor related issues history. the only one we still suffer from is genotype.

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 6:35pm On Aug 27, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

Thanks so for the clarification Sir. The OP is not a Doctor. grin
One love my brother. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by eyinjuege: 6:37pm On Aug 27, 2017
Aquariann:
In addition, as a Rh- girl, please never think of an abortion if you happen to get pregnant out of wedlock. You'll never have a child again. (Caveat: Unless you find a Rh- man to marry).

And if and when you do keep the pregnancy (this include Rh- married women), a CS is the best (or rather only) option if you intend to have other kids in the future.

I was going to quote you when I saw your mention. cheesy
C-Sec also can lead to sensitization so it's not actually a safer option.
Whether CS or vaginal delivery, the placenta must be removed. There will be some exposure either way..
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:38pm On Aug 27, 2017
SirMazi:

You know next to nothing,other than MMM issues #smh

At least I know something, most Nigerian docs know nothing at all, except malaria, typhoid, diarrhoea, appendix etc which a trained nurse can handle without stress.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 27, 2017
KunkAcid:

grin shocked grin

And how have you imparted on curbing the prevalence of quackery in the lab dept @ GHS where you currently are

Just same way u imparted on curbing before u left,its better dan i met it... Baba u no supose dey disclose my location o.. . Hw u dey
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by ChelseaDr(m): 6:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
Aquariann:

With due respect Sir, this is not correct.

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Tobycharles: 6:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
sgtponzihater1:
Who u epp!, Nigerians doctors are d biggest problem in out health sector. Agreed by all quartets including Johesu.
U just made ur ignorance obvious
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by drpompay(m): 6:41pm On Aug 27, 2017
Interesting, but OP some of the information u gave are obviously wrong
1) that the father is Rh + does not mean d child must be Rh +. Don't forget that the genetic makeup could be +/- or +/+, hence we advice that the rhesus status of d father and child be checked esp at birth b4 giving Rhogam
2) Miscarriage is one of d least complications of Rh isoimmunization, the common ones are jaundice, kernicterus, Erthroblastosis fetalis and hydrops.
3) Rh isoimmunization is hardly complicated by recurrent miscarriages
4) the common causes of recurrent miscarriages are
Genetic factors
Chromosomal anomalies
Cervical incompetence
Uterine anomaly
Luteal phase deficiency
Drug misuse/abuse
Diabetes
PCOS
Antiphospholipid syndrome
Connective tissue diseases etc

Plz though Rhesus isoimmunization is a big problem, its complications are preventable and treatable, and it is very uncommon among blacks. Use of Rhogam is to prevent it and IT HARDLY CAUSES RECURRENT MISCARRIAGES

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:42pm On Aug 27, 2017
booqee:
ur not making sense
Who u epp?,
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:43pm On Aug 27, 2017
goslowgoslow:

U be real mumu! This is a very educative topic and you just type rubbish.

Go and hug a transformer
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by happney65: 6:44pm On Aug 27, 2017
hamzeiy:

really..its unfortunate but they suffered due to ignorance. after d first child the mother aught to go for an antigen injection .i cant remember its name but today medicine has rendered rhesus factor related issues history. the only one we still suffer from is genotype.

Yeah I think so..However their case was over 25years ago so maybe they never knew sha..There was even a time the mother in law had to leave to the village because the wife accused her of being the one Wey dey chop their baby..Lol..Very funny scenario then..Things that happen on planet earth..Too Bad

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:44pm On Aug 27, 2017
VeeVeeMyLuv:

lol

una go abandon the hapless patients, enter POLITICAL battle with yourselves. grin grin

you wonder why no one is investing in health sector, even your presido went to London for alleged prolonged treatment recently.

they have lost confidence, faith and trust in you people.

what you guys dont know is that everyone personnel in health sector is important.

all this bickering among yourselves will take you no where.

DOCTOR attacks NURSES, in turn they attack the DOCTORS again, PHARMACISTS and MED LAB Scientists attack DOCTORS and vice versa, the MEDIC LAB SCIENTISTS have since long time ago outlawed/banished BASIC HEALTH SCIENCES (these ones they call biochemists, chemists and microbiologists) from medical and research institutions.

is this how people in the MED/HEALTH industry conduct themselves in other countries UK and US included?

Nigeria doesn't have a health sector. Nigerian doctors are broke and undereducated.

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Ebookmathswaec: 6:46pm On Aug 27, 2017
KunkAcid:
grin shocked grin

I'd like to commend your effort in writing such a lengthy and educative post.

You also were very plain in your discuss, making it easy for most people to comprehend.

However, the post lacked medical depth and specificity.

NB: Your discuss on Rhesus (Rh) factor is without specificity as to which of the Rhesus factors.

There are 5 Rhesus factors amongst over 50 which are important to us. They are;
1. Rh D
2. Rh C
3. Rh c
4. Rh E
5. Rh e

Op, I believe the very Rhesus factor you have discussed is Rhesus factor D (Rh 'D').

Secondly, inheritance of the Rhesus factor is not solely from the father. The offspring can inherit it from either parents whether (+) or (-)

Take note and cheers!

Thanks Doctor! The OP is not a Doctor. grin
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:46pm On Aug 27, 2017
mccoy47:

I feel like slapping you for this senseless post! angry

U slap me. Who u epp?, any Nigerian doctor coming here to spew trash is a joker. Who u epp?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Aquariann: 6:47pm On Aug 27, 2017
ChelseaDr:

With due respect Sir, this is not correct.

Corrected myself in my subsequent post..
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:48pm On Aug 27, 2017
Tobycharles:

U just made ur ignorance obvious

NARD is going on indefinite strike for nothing and u feel u are wise wanting to earn more than other graduates who also have a Bachelor's degree like u. Who u epp?
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 27, 2017
ChelseaDr:

Again, a rhesus negative woman can actually receive blood from a rhesus positive donor without the compatibility issues that will lead to maternal death as the Op posited. The only thing is to weigh the risk between saving the woman's life or allow her become sensitized. So the fear is for the future pregnancies not on the woman.

Transfusion of Rh + blood to a Rh - patient is absolutely outside the protocol of Blood transfusion medicine. Even the WHO upholds this.

Rh + blood MUST NEVER be indicated for a Rh - patient regardless of the emergency situation sir.

In the case of a female patient, this would be very devastating. If she survives the TR, she will never be able to have children if she has not hit menopause. Because, she has been sensitized in vivo. Any child conceive will suffer HDN.

However, if the patient is a Rh - post menopausal female and in critical need of transfusion, haven exhausted all options to get Rh - blood, Rh + blood may be given with loads of TR suppressants.

This is not an ideal practice but may be done in a daring emergency situation with the effect clearly explained to family relative(s) who will sign the consent form.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Pearllait(f): 6:53pm On Aug 27, 2017
jashar:
It's true ooo... I learnt this in my Secondary school biology. smiley

IT'S VERY TRUE, I AGREE STRONGLY WITH YOU
I ASKED A DOCTOR YEARS AGO AND HE EDUCATED ME ON THIS AND HE TOLD ME ABOUT THE RHOGAM INJECTION TOO BUT WITH GOD NOTHING IS AN ISSUE WHICH WAS Y HE SAID; MY CHILD, WHEN YOU FEEL ILL, DO NOT IGNORE IT. PRAY TO THE LORD FERVENTLY AND HE WILL MAKE YOU WELL. HAVE FAITH THAT HE WHO IS HEALED IS HEALED INDEED.THEN, CALL THE DOCTOR FOR THE LORD CREATED HIM AND KERP HIM BY YOUR SIDE BECAUSE YOU NEED HIM. THERE ARE TIMES WHEN YOU HAVE TO DEPEND ON HIS SKILLS. GIVE THEM THE HONOR THEY DESERVE FOR THE LORD GAVE THEM THEIR WORK TO DO. THEIR SKILLS CAME FROM THE MOST HIGH AND KINGS, REWARD THEM FOR IT. THEIR KNOWLEDGE GIVES THEM A POSITION OF IMPORTANCE, AND POWERFUL PEOPLE HOLD THEM IN HIGH REGARD. SAME WAY WE NEED AN ENGINEER, A TEACHER, A TAILOR, A LAWYER, A FARMER, A CARPENTER, A DRIVER, A SAILOR, A PILOT, A TRADER, AN ACCOUNTANT, A BANKER, ETC IS D SAME WAY WE NEED OUR MEDICAL DOCTORS. GOD GAVE THE POWER TO THEM ALL AND THEIR PRAYERS IS THAT; THE LORD WILL MAKE THEM ABLE TO EASE THEIR PATIENTS PAINS AND MAKE THEM WELL AGAIN. GOD ALSO CREATED MEDICINES FROM THE EARTH AND A SENSIBLE PERSON WILL NOT HESITATE TO USE THEM. HE GAVE MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE TO THEM SO THAT HIS NAME WILL BE PRAISED FOR THE MIRACLES HE PERFORMS.
THANKS TO ALL THE MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS. GOD BLESS
And thanks to whoeva posted this, it's indeed educating and its serves as a reminder. God bless yu too
#GoodNewsBible

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Pearllait(f): 6:54pm On Aug 27, 2017
jashar:
It's true ooo... I learnt this in my Secondary school biology. smiley
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 27, 2017
yellowb:

Just same way u imparted on curbing before u left,its better dan i met it... Baba u no supose dey disclose my location o.. . Hw u dey

I was never there, but I know you very well, all thanks to your pic grin. The world is a small place you know.
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by otswag(m): 6:55pm On Aug 27, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

At least I know something, most Nigerian docs know nothing at all, except malaria, typhoid, diarrhoea, appendix etc which a trained nurse can handle without stress.
oya no vex ehn! Sorry. Ba ni da gaske hakuri; Pele, ma binu; O di m nwute

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Ebookmathswaec: 6:56pm On Aug 27, 2017
happney65:

Yeah I think so..However their case was over 25years ago so maybe they never knew sha..There was even a time the mother in law had to leave to the village because the wife accused her of being the one Wey dey chop their baby... Lol..Very funny scenario then..Things that happen on planet earth..Too Bad

Eeya! embarassed
Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 27, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

Thanks Doctor! The OP is not a Doctor. grin

I know you are not sir. Your lack of medical depth is your betrayal.

Nice one though!

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage by creamylicious(f): 7:13pm On Aug 27, 2017
Sometimes i wonder why d maker created women with so manY issues fertility wise...... imbalance issues, toilet infection issues, growth near reproductive organs, women should always také caution warnings... I am tired

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sad: Woman Placed On Oxygen At General Hospital Dies After Nepa Took Light / Can A Virgin Girl See Her Period ? / ‘next Time, Let Me Die’ - Man To Guy Who Gave Him Mouth To Mouth Resuscitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.