Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,752 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

First Muslim Gay Wedding Holds In The Uk (photos) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / First Muslim Gay Wedding Holds In The Uk (photos) (784 Views)

“My Husband Is Gay, I Still Beg Him For Sex – Woman / Man Holds Ex Lover Hostage On Her Way To Wed Another Man After Training Her / She Discovered Her Husband Is A Gay, Now This Is Happening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

First Muslim Gay Wedding Holds In The Uk (photos) by Gracemercy1: 9:48am On Aug 28, 2017
A gay muslim man has married the love of his life and has become the first Muslim to get married to the same sex in Britain. The young man of 24 years, named Jahed Choudhury tied the knots with his love Seun Rogan of 19years.
The Telegraph reports that the same-sex marriage between the Muslims was a low-key civil ceremony where the couple wore golden Sherwanis, which are traditional Muslim attire, and were pronounced man and wife after dating for two years..

Telegraph reports that Choudhury had tried to kill himself several times after being attacked over his sexuality and grew up feeling ostracized because he was gay and was sent on a religious pilgrimage to change his sexual orientation by his family.

Tired of life and having contemplated taking his life, Rogan found poor Choudhury crying on a bench and they struck up a friendship, dated for 2 years, which has now culminated in their marriage. Choudhury recalls being the ‘black sheep’ of the family because of his sexual orientation and had fought many battles with them to be his own man. He talked about the difficulties he faced growing up from a Bangladeshi family.

“I’d not long overdosed

and I was crying on a bench and Sean came over and asked if I was okay. He gave me hope at one of my lowest points and he’s stood by me all the way. I stood out like a sore thumb – I never liked football; I preferred watching fashion shows on TV. I remember feeling trapped. It went all over school, people would spit on me, empty the rubbish bins on me, call me a pig and the Muslim people would shout ‘harum’ – which is a very nasty insult in my language.”

Talking about his happiness at finally getting married to his partner, the Darlaston-born Choudhury said:

“This is about showing people I don’t care. My family think it’s a disease and can be cured, some of my family still call it a phase. I want to say to all people going through the same thing that’s it’s okay – we’re going to show the whole world that you can be gay and Muslim.”

Jahed from West Midlands grew up feeling ostracized by the Muslim community because he was gay. According to him, the period of trying to change his sexual orientation consisted of him having a girlfriend, changing his social circle, taking medication and even going on a pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia and Bangladesh.

But the situation, according Choudhury, only got worse as he was assaulted by fellow Muslims in the street where he lived and he was popularly referred to as a gay. The mosque he attended for 15years stopped in from entering. “I’d been viciously attacked by Muslim boys; my mosque told me non-Muslims were not allowed in.”

“I tried killing myself and I then met Sean. The housing association got us a house in a week and we’ve been living together ever since. I proposed on Sean’s birthday last June.”

His wedding to Sean was well attended by family and friends of both men. Jahed’s mother, sister, older brother and cousin witnessed the wedding, as did Mr Rogan’s mother, two sisters and older brother.

Jahed added: “My mum has always been so supportive. Without her I would not be here today. It was lovely for both out families to be there. We get on really well. It was just close friends and family who were invited as I did not want a big wedding. It was just perfect the way it was.”
We’re going to have a big party in Darlaston and go to Spain for a week on holiday.” He said. He further disclosed that Sean is considering converting to Islam, but that they would struggle to find a mosque. He said he told Sean to convert on his behalf and also to wear the Bangladeshi traditional attire for their wedding and he agreed to both.
He said: “The outfits are traditional Muslim-Bangladeshi outfits. Everyone wears them for a wedding at home. I told Sean I thought it would be very nice to wear them and he agreed. Also, they look very pretty. Sean is considering converting to Islam. I asked him if he would on my behalf. We would not be able to find a place of worship however. We would not be welcomed by any mosques. I have heard about the liberal mosque in Berlin that opened recently where they are a lot less traditional. It sounds fantastic. I really want to visit, and wish we could have somewhere like that here.”

Jahed said: “We have had death threats against us and our families. People telling me they are going to kill me and that I should never have been born. They are really vile, horrible comments. But we are so happy we are able to just brush them off. We’ve had an awful lot of support too.

He added: “I want to say to all people going through the same thing that it’s okay – we’re going to show the whole world that you can be gay and Muslim.”

Source: http://tonisoftpost.com/first-muslim-gay-wedding-holds-in-the-uk/

See more photos of the couple here http://tonisoftpost.com/first-muslim-gay-wedding-holds-in-the-uk/

Re: First Muslim Gay Wedding Holds In The Uk (photos) by johndwayy(m): 12:28pm On Aug 28, 2017
Hmmm... Islam again
Re: First Muslim Gay Wedding Holds In The Uk (photos) by Abiagirl777(f): 3:28pm On Aug 28, 2017
At first when I saw SEUN ROGAN ,I thought it was my fellow contry man.
To them whatever rocks your boat but its a sad choice really an I pray you realise your mistake early.
He made them Male and Female...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Joys And Pain Of Motherhood! / I Caught My Wife Sleeping With Men On Several Occasions, Man Claims / Britain’s Largest Family Welcomes Baby Number 20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.