Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,480 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (30692 Views)

Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Fredreva(m): 6:15am On Sep 01, 2017
Ukperoshogwhujakokparan - I'd rather have my teeth broken than for my manhood to die. grin

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Phut(f): 6:15am On Sep 01, 2017
xtybliss:
Udeogalanya.....rich man's cream
You got it wrong. The name is Odo- Ogalanya (one who is pulling in the wealth i.e roping in the wealth). Ogalanya by itself means a rich man/boss, from which the slang 'Oga' emanates

3 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by To5man(m): 6:19am On Sep 01, 2017
Yoruba: Adesare Adegbagi
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by phemyhollar(m): 6:28am On Sep 01, 2017
Yoruba - Esubiyi
English - the devil conceived this one I.e gave birth to.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Beowulf(m): 6:35am On Sep 01, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Tabansi is an Igbo name that literarily means Keep Eating Sh!t. But maybe it has a deeper meaning that isn't apparent to me.

My dad told me it means patience. It's an Anambra name. Enugu-ukwu precisely, if memory serves

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Beowulf(m): 6:36am On Sep 01, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Another strange name I have encountered in Oshimili (Delta State) is Njokanma -Evil is Better. I am also hoping this one too has a deeper meaning that eludes me.

Yes! That name has always baffled me. How is evil better?
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Mbediogu(m): 6:41am On Sep 01, 2017
fratermathy:

The explanation makes sense but have you tried to understand what possible reason would make a parent name his/her child: "Idjigherekpeki" (Bicycle went to market). That doesn't seem to make sense at all...

Another one is Akpowowo (Life is Ugly?)

Abowrowro = Soft hands (Royal child)
Ewurite Ajalakpo = Leopard testicles (dangerous place to touch).
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Beowulf(m): 6:41am On Sep 01, 2017
igbodefender:

Here is one Igbo praise name/title that is quite out of the ordinary:
Agwoturumbe, meaning, 'The snake that stings the tortoise' (a mean feat, when you consider the fact that most of the tortoise's body is covered with protective shells.)

A man with such a praise name may have achieved an 'impossible feat'.

Bro, I think you misunderstood the Agwoturumbe name. The full name is Agwoturumbe turu okpokoro meaning a snake that bites a tortoise bites only shell. Another variant of the name is Agwoturumbe na emebi onu ya meaning the snake that bites a tortoise damages its mouth (apparently because of the shell). The praise actually is for the tortoise not the snake.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by ayagha: 6:43am On Sep 01, 2017
fratermathy:

The explanation makes sense but have you tried to understand what possible reason would make a parent name his/her child: "Idjigherekpeki" (Bicycle went to market). That doesn't seem to make sense at all...

Another one is Akpowowo (Life is Ugly?)

Brother, Akpovwovwo doesn't mean life is ugly, it means life in the evening. It's used to describe someone who made it late in life.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by femi4: 6:44am On Sep 01, 2017
fratermathy:

Yes. It does sound funny grin grin grin grin. What does it mean?
Using calabash to scoop money
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Beowulf(m): 6:45am On Sep 01, 2017
fratermathy:

If we are talking about the worst type of English names, turn your eyes towards Ijaw. Ijaw people dey answer anything, I swear. Urhobo funny English name dey learn for Ijaw one.

You see Ijaws answering names like Pepper, Pepple, Goldwater, Heneiken, Wine, etc. These are not even their native names yet o!

Urhobos by far dwarf the Ijaws in funny native names though.

There is also one funny Igbo name I came across one time but I don't know if I remember it correctly:

Azubuike (back is front?). Am I right?

Azubuike, means your back is your strength which means you have to always watch your back. But in another literal sense it means back is bum.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by femi4: 6:48am On Sep 01, 2017
Young03:
OLANIYI It has a meaning both in Yoruba and Igbo

In Igbo it means He is useless
In Yoruba it means "Wealth has Value"
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Beowulf(m): 6:49am On Sep 01, 2017
Rorachy:
Funny Igbo names.

Amuobi-dick wey dey for chest.

Ozoemena- Another one should not do me.

alugbuoerie-after fighting, you eat.

Onwubiko-death please.

Onwuegbulem-death should not kill me.

Then finally

Oshionya-someone that set traps.(hahahahha, my secondary school classmate's surname)

Your rendition of "Amuobi" is wrong. The name is Amobi or if you want to write out all the vowels/consonants then it is Amaobi meaning the thoughts of the human heart cannot be known. Another variant is Onyemaobi meaning who knows the heart?

3 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by abbeyty(m): 6:52am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:
Ijaw funny names i knw
1. Big tom
2. Pepple
3. Jackreece
4. Government
5. Bullet
6. Enakpurukeme
7. Funkekeme

Lol are you serious about government ?
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by abbeyty(m): 6:55am On Sep 01, 2017
Owonikoko ( money is the main deal)
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by femi4: 6:59am On Sep 01, 2017
horciglowri:
I have coursemate's with funny surnames 1. okuribido 2. Ogundimu. Yorubas in the house kindly interprete.

Ogundimu: Uphold by the god of Iron

Okunribido: The sea/god of the sea found a place to settle

While the ones from rivers state bear funny names like 1. Lemon 2. Braide 3. Fine face. Our people from rivers state can help us interprete.

While for my igbo brothers I know someone called policap and boniface. Biko if my igbo brothers and sis can still us interprete too

Gracias
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:03am On Sep 01, 2017
abbeyty:

Yes

The man called Tompolo his full names

Government Ekpemukpolo

Anoda funny name from Urhobo

Ukujere (spoon)

3 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by fratermathy(m): 7:03am On Sep 01, 2017
abbeyty:

The popular Ijaw militant, Tom Polo is actually named Government Ekpemupolo.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:05am On Sep 01, 2017
michony505:
Ogun-eran and Adan also mean thesame in Yoruba

Which yoruba dialect

Cos Ogun in Itsekiri is 20
While Eran is meat
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 7:09am On Sep 01, 2017
Phut:

You got it wrong. The name is Odo- Ogalanya (one who is pulling in the wealth i.e roping in the wealth). Ogalanya by itself means a rich man/boss, from which the slang 'Oga' emanates

Really? Oga means master in Yoruba language
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Don27tiky(m): 7:09am On Sep 01, 2017
Akerkpev.... he goat scrotum

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 7:14am On Sep 01, 2017
onuwaje:

Which yoruba dialect

Cos Ogun in Itsekiri is 20
While Eran is meat

Ogun also mean 20 in Yoruba
Eran also mean meat in Yoruba

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by IdeaCashKid(m): 7:15am On Sep 01, 2017
Eke40seven:

Lol..

Azubuike means, "Strength lies in the back" more like an anatomical explaination. I don't know if there is a deeper meaning to it though.

Yes, there is a deeper meaning. The back refers to siblings that are coming.. The name is usually giving by those who desires more children. Other variations of the name are "Azubuogor"(siblings are a gain) and Azudinma (Good/blessed to have many siblings). The last one is usually given to children that have many siblings already, so they are considered lucky.
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by olaitoro(m): 7:17am On Sep 01, 2017
rhektor:

Really? Oga means master in Yoruba language

Oga also means master in Igbo.

I thought the term Oga was gotten from Organiser, instead of saying Organiser Emeka or Organiser Tunde, people tend to shorten it to Oga Emeka or Oga Tunde.

My opnion though
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Afam4eva(m): 7:17am On Sep 01, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Tabansi is an Igbo name that literarily means Keep Eating Sh!t. But maybe it has a deeper meaning that isn't apparent to me.
The deeper meaning is to be patient or something like that.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by Mentcee(m): 7:17am On Sep 01, 2017
Ukwachinaka_onaagba.

Breadfruit that explodes in someone's hands.

Igbo
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:18am On Sep 01, 2017
More Itsekiri names

1. Agbajor (make una gather) dunno if the first person wen bear the name na Usher back den lol
2. Agbeyegbe (u nr fit live for ever) my Elder bros name
3. Anirejuoritse (u nr fit get sense pass God)
4. Anuomuogharan (my enemies de shame lol)
5. Arueyingho (think about the future)
6.Esigbone ( law of people)

Courtesy my uncle

More loading

1 Like

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 7:19am On Sep 01, 2017
horchukoh:
have heard of ashiyanbi and orimogunje as people surname don't really know their meanings pls can a Yoruba person inteprete this for me please

Orímóògùnjẹ́ = it is the head that made charm to be potent (literal meaning)
Ori which is always interpreted head could also mean the soul or innerman, going with this one can say Orímóògùnjẹ́ mean the potency of charm lies in the hand of Ori (head/innerman)
Ashiyanbi? I don't know the meaning of this for now
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by rhektor(m): 7:23am On Sep 01, 2017
olaitoro:

Oga also means master in Igbo.

I thought the term Oga was gotten from Organiser, instead of saying Organiser Emeka or Organiser Tunde, people tend to shorten it to Oga Emeka or Oga Tunde.

My opnion though

No sir, it is not from an English word in Yoruba we have variant of this word.
Ogagun the master of war

2 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:25am On Sep 01, 2017
More Itsekiri names

1. Odonmeta (3 yrs) lol
2. Odonghanro ( dem de look d years)
3. Oritsewinor ( there is God ooooo grin)
4.Uyalaju (suffer hard)
Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by olaitoro(m): 7:26am On Sep 01, 2017
xtybliss:
Udeogalanya.....rich man's cream

Ude in udeogalanya does not mean cream but it denotes the influence of the rich in a community.
Udeogalanya means the rich's influence,
Udechukwu means God's influence.
smiley

2 Likes

Re: What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? by onuwaje(m): 7:26am On Sep 01, 2017
Oga means goat in Ahoada (Rivers State)

Tht name dn almost put me for wahala

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas / Ayiri Emami Installed As The Prime Minister Of Warri After Traditional Rites / Urhobo Names (For My Baby)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.