Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

The Truth Behind SECURITY VOTES - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth Behind SECURITY VOTES (615 Views)

Security Votes: SERAP Can Sue Buhari, NASS Over Spending - Court / FG Spends N241b Annually On Security Votes Illegally – TI, CISLAC / Dogara Dares El-Rufai To Publish Security Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth Behind SECURITY VOTES by StrafordSTONES(m): 9:33am On Sep 01, 2017
Good morning my fellow nairalanders, over the years and growing up as a Nigerian, I have always heard of the concept of "security votes" and I have not really thought about it. This morning, watching a programme on channels television, I saw how the press Secretary to the governor of Benue state ignored a question on the subject and my attention was caught. Now I want you guys to help me explore some of the most fundamental questions like what this security vote is really about? What is its source? what is it meant for? how much is it? is it appropriated and necessary?

A definition I saw online was really vague where it said " it is a reserved fund for the executive arm at various arms of government to manipulate security issues for political and economic gain. It traced back to the years of the military in government where the military heads where afraid of coups and sought this fund from relevant authorities to aid them gather information as to uncover coups.

why is it still being used in this civilian regime as I can see that is it has no justified use?
Re: The Truth Behind SECURITY VOTES by seunlayi(m): 9:37am On Sep 01, 2017
This is a legalisation of corruption
Re: The Truth Behind SECURITY VOTES by StrafordSTONES(m): 9:50am On Sep 01, 2017
seunlayi:
This is a legalisation of corruption

There is not even a law backing it

it was a concept borrowed from the military government for no justified reason. Ask yourself this, what is it for? paying of state forces is included in the budget and purchase of military devices and hardwares are so accounted for, yet our governors and a president keep on appropriating funds running in billions in the name of security vote.
I think Nigerians should be sensitized on the issue. I personally reject it. I just wish I can be heard

#SAY_NO_SECURITY_VOTES
Re: The Truth Behind SECURITY VOTES by Ratello: 9:55am On Sep 01, 2017
Only in Nigeria you hear damning and irritating stuffs like this.
Re: The Truth Behind SECURITY VOTES by StrafordSTONES(m): 10:33am On Sep 01, 2017
Ratello:
Only in Nigeria you hear damning and irritating stuffs like this.

its appalling

#SAY_NO_TO_SECURITY_VOTES
Re: The Truth Behind SECURITY VOTES by blackfase(m): 11:41am On Sep 01, 2017
One of d many flaws & stench of za xoo. Thats why d status quo zombies don't want change aka restructure, dialogue etc. Thats why they hate NK, IPOB, ODUA chanters.

#iamyoruba and i support NK

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Out Of Recession Vs Reality Check / Nairalanders Let's Rant! What Are You Currently Angry About? / Conspiracy Theory About 0peration Python Dance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.